Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Service Changes - January 2020

Service Changes - January 2020

Service Changes - January 2020

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (11) Previous 16 7 811 Next
big mac

29 Dec 2019, 10:57 am #121
(28 Dec 2019, 9:56 pm)BusLoverMum Nah. 21 busiest Newcastle-Birtley.
Yes, any reduction at all in frequency on the Newcastle to Chester section of the 21 would not be a good idea. I remember a few years ago the frequency was reduced to every 10 minutes, which lead quite commonly to overcrowding and sometimes a wait of up to half an hour for a bus to turn up. I think GNE realised their mistake pretty quickly.
big mac
29 Dec 2019, 10:57 am #121

(28 Dec 2019, 9:56 pm)BusLoverMum Nah. 21 busiest Newcastle-Birtley.
Yes, any reduction at all in frequency on the Newcastle to Chester section of the 21 would not be a good idea. I remember a few years ago the frequency was reduced to every 10 minutes, which lead quite commonly to overcrowding and sometimes a wait of up to half an hour for a bus to turn up. I think GNE realised their mistake pretty quickly.

Jimmi

29 Dec 2019, 11:44 am #122
(29 Dec 2019, 10:57 am)big mac Yes, any reduction at all in frequency on the Newcastle to Chester section of the 21 would not be a good idea. I remember a few years ago the frequency was reduced to every 10 minutes, which lead quite commonly to overcrowding and sometimes a wait of up to half an hour for a bus to turn up. I think GNE realised their mistake pretty quickly.

Think at that point were it was 10 minutes across the whole route (Newcastle to Durham), I remember the reliability being poor at best, was forever running in twos into Durham and gaps of buses not turning up. Have to agree on the Chester to Toon section needing to be kept frequent as it's rather busy.
Jimmi
29 Dec 2019, 11:44 am #122

(29 Dec 2019, 10:57 am)big mac Yes, any reduction at all in frequency on the Newcastle to Chester section of the 21 would not be a good idea. I remember a few years ago the frequency was reduced to every 10 minutes, which lead quite commonly to overcrowding and sometimes a wait of up to half an hour for a bus to turn up. I think GNE realised their mistake pretty quickly.

Think at that point were it was 10 minutes across the whole route (Newcastle to Durham), I remember the reliability being poor at best, was forever running in twos into Durham and gaps of buses not turning up. Have to agree on the Chester to Toon section needing to be kept frequent as it's rather busy.

big mac

29 Dec 2019, 11:50 am #123
(29 Dec 2019, 11:44 am)Jimmi Think at that point were it was 10 minutes across the whole route (Newcastle to Durham), I remember the reliability being poor at best, was forever running in twos into Durham and gaps of buses not turning up. Have to agree on the Chester to Toon section needing to be kept frequent as it's rather busy.
Yes it was 10 minutes between Newcastle and Durham, as they also increased the frequency of the then 24 from Wrekenton to Newcastle to every 10 minutes. 
This created a combined every 5 minute frequency between Low Fell and Newcastle, but the problem was that many passengers along the Durham Road corridor use the services south of Low Fell where the 24 turned off to go to Wrekenton, so they lost out, and the 21 struggled to cope  with the strain put it on it south of Low Fell.
big mac
29 Dec 2019, 11:50 am #123

(29 Dec 2019, 11:44 am)Jimmi Think at that point were it was 10 minutes across the whole route (Newcastle to Durham), I remember the reliability being poor at best, was forever running in twos into Durham and gaps of buses not turning up. Have to agree on the Chester to Toon section needing to be kept frequent as it's rather busy.
Yes it was 10 minutes between Newcastle and Durham, as they also increased the frequency of the then 24 from Wrekenton to Newcastle to every 10 minutes. 
This created a combined every 5 minute frequency between Low Fell and Newcastle, but the problem was that many passengers along the Durham Road corridor use the services south of Low Fell where the 24 turned off to go to Wrekenton, so they lost out, and the 21 struggled to cope  with the strain put it on it south of Low Fell.

Andreos1

29 Dec 2019, 12:15 pm #124
(29 Dec 2019, 11:50 am)big mac Yes it was 10 minutes between Newcastle and Durham, as they also increased the frequency of the then 24 from Wrekenton to Newcastle to every 10 minutes. 

In theory, I think it was a half decent idea - but not carried out in the correct manner. 
The idea of turning a 24 every 10mins at Wrekenton wasn't one that filled me with much confidence, especially as you say - the strain was put elsewhere on the route. 
The 24 carried fresh air between Harlow Green and Wrekenton and the 21 struggled the rest of the way. 
Something to help beyond Harlow Green, rather than 'just up to', may have worked a little better imo.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Dec 2019, 12:15 pm #124

(29 Dec 2019, 11:50 am)big mac Yes it was 10 minutes between Newcastle and Durham, as they also increased the frequency of the then 24 from Wrekenton to Newcastle to every 10 minutes. 

In theory, I think it was a half decent idea - but not carried out in the correct manner. 
The idea of turning a 24 every 10mins at Wrekenton wasn't one that filled me with much confidence, especially as you say - the strain was put elsewhere on the route. 
The 24 carried fresh air between Harlow Green and Wrekenton and the 21 struggled the rest of the way. 
Something to help beyond Harlow Green, rather than 'just up to', may have worked a little better imo.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

busmanT

29 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm #125
(28 Dec 2019, 1:42 pm)streetdeckfan From what I was told when the X21 was extended, the one part of the 18 route that made money was Walker Drive (probably because the 18 was the only service that went that way), but I have noticed since changing to the X21 it's been a lot busier on Proudfoot Drive than it used to be.

Like I said though, it's not actually that much difference in going via Woodhouse or Watling Road, maybe a minute for two, at a push, and they're more likely to pick up passengers in Woodhouse

I think the extra time from Eden to Tesco is to allow for traffic during busier times (which is basically any time after 2pm these days).
I can almost guarantee that pretty much all afternoon northbound services will run late, the traffic down here is an absolute joke, on many occasions it's taken a good 5 minutes for the X21 to get from Tesco to Watling Road Club, a distance of around 300m!

On another note, I've just looked at the timetable again and it looks it'll be going via Neville's Cross at all times now, missing out the university entirely
Obviously it will pick up more going via Woodhouse Close (copying Arriva) than Watling Road, but probably 3 or 4 minutes quicker on Watling Road (delay turning right at Cabin Gate, getting out of Proudfoot Drive and especially towards Bishop, with going round Walker Drive) - potential to get a bigger share of the passengers from West and St Helens going to Bishop (at higher fares) with what would be a faster journey, perceptually much faster, and not involve seeing the sights of Woodhouse Close.
busmanT
29 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm #125

(28 Dec 2019, 1:42 pm)streetdeckfan From what I was told when the X21 was extended, the one part of the 18 route that made money was Walker Drive (probably because the 18 was the only service that went that way), but I have noticed since changing to the X21 it's been a lot busier on Proudfoot Drive than it used to be.

Like I said though, it's not actually that much difference in going via Woodhouse or Watling Road, maybe a minute for two, at a push, and they're more likely to pick up passengers in Woodhouse

I think the extra time from Eden to Tesco is to allow for traffic during busier times (which is basically any time after 2pm these days).
I can almost guarantee that pretty much all afternoon northbound services will run late, the traffic down here is an absolute joke, on many occasions it's taken a good 5 minutes for the X21 to get from Tesco to Watling Road Club, a distance of around 300m!

On another note, I've just looked at the timetable again and it looks it'll be going via Neville's Cross at all times now, missing out the university entirely
Obviously it will pick up more going via Woodhouse Close (copying Arriva) than Watling Road, but probably 3 or 4 minutes quicker on Watling Road (delay turning right at Cabin Gate, getting out of Proudfoot Drive and especially towards Bishop, with going round Walker Drive) - potential to get a bigger share of the passengers from West and St Helens going to Bishop (at higher fares) with what would be a faster journey, perceptually much faster, and not involve seeing the sights of Woodhouse Close.

S830OFT

29 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm #126
(29 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm)busmanT Obviously it will pick up more going via Woodhouse Close (copying Arriva) than Watling Road, but probably 3 or 4 minutes quicker on Watling Road (delay turning right at Cabin Gate, getting out of Proudfoot Drive and especially towards Bishop, with going round Walker Drive) - potential to get a bigger share of the passengers from West and St Helens going to Bishop (at higher fares) with what would be a faster journey, perceptually much faster, and not involve seeing the sights of Woodhouse Close.

I wonder if it would be viable to extend one or two journeys to Barnard Castle...

S830OFT
29 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm #126

(29 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm)busmanT Obviously it will pick up more going via Woodhouse Close (copying Arriva) than Watling Road, but probably 3 or 4 minutes quicker on Watling Road (delay turning right at Cabin Gate, getting out of Proudfoot Drive and especially towards Bishop, with going round Walker Drive) - potential to get a bigger share of the passengers from West and St Helens going to Bishop (at higher fares) with what would be a faster journey, perceptually much faster, and not involve seeing the sights of Woodhouse Close.

I wonder if it would be viable to extend one or two journeys to Barnard Castle...

29 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm #127

The worst part about going round Woodhouse isn't the sights, it's getting absolutely battered every time a driver clips a kerb, which is basically every few minutes because the StreetDecks are far too big for the route.

I personally don't think that 3-4 minute saving would be worth it, because that time would just be spent sitting in Bishop anyway. Plus with the traffic it's often faster to go via Woodhouse on the northbound journey because there's less traffic coming from the west lights compared to the south. When it gets busy the traffic at the lights can go back to the Aclet, which coupled with all the double parking along Cockton Hill Road means the traffic goes down very slowly. 

(29 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm)S830OFT I wonder if it would be viable to extend one or two journeys to Barnard Castle...

I doubt it, although that extension would have been nice under the Castles Express branding!
streetdeckfan
29 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm #127

The worst part about going round Woodhouse isn't the sights, it's getting absolutely battered every time a driver clips a kerb, which is basically every few minutes because the StreetDecks are far too big for the route.

I personally don't think that 3-4 minute saving would be worth it, because that time would just be spent sitting in Bishop anyway. Plus with the traffic it's often faster to go via Woodhouse on the northbound journey because there's less traffic coming from the west lights compared to the south. When it gets busy the traffic at the lights can go back to the Aclet, which coupled with all the double parking along Cockton Hill Road means the traffic goes down very slowly. 

(29 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm)S830OFT I wonder if it would be viable to extend one or two journeys to Barnard Castle...

I doubt it, although that extension would have been nice under the Castles Express branding!

big mac

29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm #128
With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?
With it being every 15 minutes to Durham, these journeys that terminate at Durham will have Durham as the destination, but so will the ones that extend to West Auckland. The split will probably mean it will display "Durham for West Auckland" which I'm sure will catch some people out as to which ones terminate where.
big mac
29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm #128

With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?
With it being every 15 minutes to Durham, these journeys that terminate at Durham will have Durham as the destination, but so will the ones that extend to West Auckland. The split will probably mean it will display "Durham for West Auckland" which I'm sure will catch some people out as to which ones terminate where.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm #129
(29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm)big mac With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?

Don't forget that when a bus is running to a location which isn't the 'usual' terminus, i.e. only serving part of the route, then no via points are included on the destination display so that the terminus can be shown in a larger, bolder, font.

So in this instance of Durham, there will be a clear difference between the 'Durham then West Auckland' display and the 'Durham' only display.

You could argue that it's no more confusing than now, because the displays show "Bishop Auckland then Tindale Crescent" (not a requirement currently as it isn't a split route, but shown like that as Tindale Crescent isn't really a well-known place!)
Dan
29 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm #129

(29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm)big mac With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?

Don't forget that when a bus is running to a location which isn't the 'usual' terminus, i.e. only serving part of the route, then no via points are included on the destination display so that the terminus can be shown in a larger, bolder, font.

So in this instance of Durham, there will be a clear difference between the 'Durham then West Auckland' display and the 'Durham' only display.

You could argue that it's no more confusing than now, because the displays show "Bishop Auckland then Tindale Crescent" (not a requirement currently as it isn't a split route, but shown like that as Tindale Crescent isn't really a well-known place!)

Jimmi

29 Dec 2019, 2:15 pm #130
(29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm)big mac With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?
The current peak shorts that terminate at Durham is enough to throw people, many can't seem to comprehend that it's not going any further than that despite showing Durham in ginormous letters on the destination, many a time I've seen people have to be told at Durham Bus Station it's going no further.

Probs be confusing at first but hopefully get better with time when people are used to the changes being made.
Jimmi
29 Dec 2019, 2:15 pm #130

(29 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm)big mac With the changes meaning the x21 will be registered as two routes, will this not make the destination displays potentially confusing?
The current peak shorts that terminate at Durham is enough to throw people, many can't seem to comprehend that it's not going any further than that despite showing Durham in ginormous letters on the destination, many a time I've seen people have to be told at Durham Bus Station it's going no further.

Probs be confusing at first but hopefully get better with time when people are used to the changes being made.

S813 FVK

29 Dec 2019, 2:18 pm #131
(29 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm)Dan Don't forget that when a bus is running to a location which isn't the 'usual' terminus, i.e. only serving part of the route, then no via points are included on the destination display so that the terminus can be shown in a larger, bolder, font.

Fully understand this one with wanting to differentiate between the long and short journeys so I have a degree in confidence that this one isn't going to need an in-depth reply, but merely as devil's advocate...

Why will Durham not fall under a 'regular/usual' terminus to get the new format yet places like Sunniside on the 6 and Quaking Houses on the M6 do?
S813 FVK
29 Dec 2019, 2:18 pm #131

(29 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm)Dan Don't forget that when a bus is running to a location which isn't the 'usual' terminus, i.e. only serving part of the route, then no via points are included on the destination display so that the terminus can be shown in a larger, bolder, font.

Fully understand this one with wanting to differentiate between the long and short journeys so I have a degree in confidence that this one isn't going to need an in-depth reply, but merely as devil's advocate...

Why will Durham not fall under a 'regular/usual' terminus to get the new format yet places like Sunniside on the 6 and Quaking Houses on the M6 do?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Dec 2019, 2:22 pm #132
(29 Dec 2019, 2:18 pm)S813 FVK Fully understand this one with wanting to differentiate between the long and short journeys so I have a degree in confidence that this one isn't going to need an in-depth reply, but merely as devil's advocate...

The only reason would be to try and any confusion - arguments for using this general rule of thumb, and arguments for bending it, either way. For the number of people who seemingly bother to read them (as in Jimmi's example), you do wonder if it's worth putting so much thought into it!

In time I'd anticipate the pattern becomes obvious enough to passengers that via points could be included as standard on the short Durham journeys too.
Dan
29 Dec 2019, 2:22 pm #132

(29 Dec 2019, 2:18 pm)S813 FVK Fully understand this one with wanting to differentiate between the long and short journeys so I have a degree in confidence that this one isn't going to need an in-depth reply, but merely as devil's advocate...

The only reason would be to try and any confusion - arguments for using this general rule of thumb, and arguments for bending it, either way. For the number of people who seemingly bother to read them (as in Jimmi's example), you do wonder if it's worth putting so much thought into it!

In time I'd anticipate the pattern becomes obvious enough to passengers that via points could be included as standard on the short Durham journeys too.

29 Dec 2019, 2:25 pm #133

Technically, the X21 doesn't actually go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to St Helens Auckland. The only stop that's in Tindale Crescent is Watling Road Club on the northbound journey, and even that's debatable as it's the wrong side of the road!

Even still, the X21 doesn't go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to Tinddale Crescent as it's misspelled on the registration!

(29 Dec 2019, 2:15 pm)Jimmi The current peak shorts that terminate at Durham is enough to throw people, many can't seem to comprehend that it's not going any further than that despite showing Durham in ginormous letters on the destination, many a time I've seen people have to be told at Durham Bus Station it's going no further.

You're also forgetting the people that seem to think (and rightly so!) that the X21 isn't express, and stops at every stop, to then complain at the driver when it doesn't stop at their stop!
streetdeckfan
29 Dec 2019, 2:25 pm #133

Technically, the X21 doesn't actually go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to St Helens Auckland. The only stop that's in Tindale Crescent is Watling Road Club on the northbound journey, and even that's debatable as it's the wrong side of the road!

Even still, the X21 doesn't go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to Tinddale Crescent as it's misspelled on the registration!

(29 Dec 2019, 2:15 pm)Jimmi The current peak shorts that terminate at Durham is enough to throw people, many can't seem to comprehend that it's not going any further than that despite showing Durham in ginormous letters on the destination, many a time I've seen people have to be told at Durham Bus Station it's going no further.

You're also forgetting the people that seem to think (and rightly so!) that the X21 isn't express, and stops at every stop, to then complain at the driver when it doesn't stop at their stop!

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm #134
(29 Dec 2019, 2:25 pm)streetdeckfan Technically, the X21 doesn't actually go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to St Helens Auckland. The only stop that's in Tindale Crescent is Watling Road Club on the northbound journey, and even that's debatable as it's the wrong side of the road!

*sigh*

Technicalities and nitpicking aside, enough people refer to Bishop Auckland Retail Shopping Park as "Tindale Retail Park" for this to be the most appropriate thing to show on the destination display...
Dan
29 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm #134

(29 Dec 2019, 2:25 pm)streetdeckfan Technically, the X21 doesn't actually go to Tindale Crescent, it goes to St Helens Auckland. The only stop that's in Tindale Crescent is Watling Road Club on the northbound journey, and even that's debatable as it's the wrong side of the road!

*sigh*

Technicalities and nitpicking aside, enough people refer to Bishop Auckland Retail Shopping Park as "Tindale Retail Park" for this to be the most appropriate thing to show on the destination display...

29 Dec 2019, 2:39 pm #135
(29 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm)Dan *sigh*

I know, I was just messing. I don't know anyone who actually refers to the area as St Helens Auckland, even when you go further along into what is actually St Helens Auckland, it just gets called West Auckland!

Do we know when we're expected to get the full stop list for the new route yet?
streetdeckfan
29 Dec 2019, 2:39 pm #135

(29 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm)Dan *sigh*

I know, I was just messing. I don't know anyone who actually refers to the area as St Helens Auckland, even when you go further along into what is actually St Helens Auckland, it just gets called West Auckland!

Do we know when we're expected to get the full stop list for the new route yet?

29 Dec 2019, 5:32 pm #136
So from what I've just been told, the X21 will be following the 6 route through Woodhouse, and will no longer be serving Lusby Crescent, Ramsay Crescent, Greenfields Road, or Weardale Drive.

While I understand why they did it, it means that if I miss the X21 at Tesco or Watling Road, I can't just walk up to Harrison Crescent and catch it there!

I'd also imagine all the youths that use the X21 to get home from school won't be happy as they'll have to walk from Walker Drive
streetdeckfan
29 Dec 2019, 5:32 pm #136

So from what I've just been told, the X21 will be following the 6 route through Woodhouse, and will no longer be serving Lusby Crescent, Ramsay Crescent, Greenfields Road, or Weardale Drive.

While I understand why they did it, it means that if I miss the X21 at Tesco or Watling Road, I can't just walk up to Harrison Crescent and catch it there!

I'd also imagine all the youths that use the X21 to get home from school won't be happy as they'll have to walk from Walker Drive

peter

29 Dec 2019, 6:28 pm #137
Does anybody have confirmation of the new PVRs as a result of these service changes?? I've had a go looking at the timetables but not sure if I'm right!

Cheers, Peter
peter
29 Dec 2019, 6:28 pm #137

Does anybody have confirmation of the new PVRs as a result of these service changes?? I've had a go looking at the timetables but not sure if I'm right!

Cheers, Peter

JP6004

29 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm #138

I know it doesn't even depart from the Express Lounge at Gateshead Interchange!
JP6004
29 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm #138

I know it doesn't even depart from the Express Lounge at Gateshead Interchange!

29 Dec 2019, 6:48 pm #139
(29 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm)JP6004 I know it doesn't even depart from the Express Lounge at Gateshead Interchange!
See Dan, it's not just me that's complaining! There's at least two others on here who are totally not just humouring me!

On another note, hopefully with these upcoming changes, we might eventually get our NSAs back!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
29 Dec 2019, 6:48 pm #139

(29 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm)JP6004 I know it doesn't even depart from the Express Lounge at Gateshead Interchange!
See Dan, it's not just me that's complaining! There's at least two others on here who are totally not just humouring me!

On another note, hopefully with these upcoming changes, we might eventually get our NSAs back!

JP6004

29 Dec 2019, 6:50 pm #140
(29 Dec 2019, 6:48 pm)streetdeckfan See Dan, it's not just me that's complaining! There's at least two others on here who are totally not just humouring me!

Well to be fair Nexus' idea of an Express lounge is like bridge cafe in the Apprentice.....I think they should knock down Gateshead Interchange and start again
JP6004
29 Dec 2019, 6:50 pm #140

(29 Dec 2019, 6:48 pm)streetdeckfan See Dan, it's not just me that's complaining! There's at least two others on here who are totally not just humouring me!

Well to be fair Nexus' idea of an Express lounge is like bridge cafe in the Apprentice.....I think they should knock down Gateshead Interchange and start again

Pages (11) Previous 16 7 811 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average