Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (28) Previous 121 22 2328 Next
25 Jan 2020, 10:21 am #421
(25 Jan 2020, 9:24 am)Dan Are you sure about that?

Go North East haven’t done any work with Beacon Creative for a good few months now, so wondering what ground there is for the statement that their work is “rather tired and amateurish”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I assumed that the 'standard' timetables were Beacon's.

The Cobalt&Coast (or Cobalt& on a bus I saw the other day!), Little Coasters and Green Arrow don't have the same 'flair' that Best Impressions liveries have. It's a coloured bus with some shapes on, nothing really stands out or sells itself.
omnicity4659
25 Jan 2020, 10:21 am #421

(25 Jan 2020, 9:24 am)Dan Are you sure about that?

Go North East haven’t done any work with Beacon Creative for a good few months now, so wondering what ground there is for the statement that their work is “rather tired and amateurish”.

Sorry, I assumed that the 'standard' timetables were Beacon's.

The Cobalt&Coast (or Cobalt& on a bus I saw the other day!), Little Coasters and Green Arrow don't have the same 'flair' that Best Impressions liveries have. It's a coloured bus with some shapes on, nothing really stands out or sells itself.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Jan 2020, 10:23 am #422
(25 Jan 2020, 10:21 am)omnicity4659 Sorry, I assumed that the 'standard' timetables were Beacon's.

Funny you say that when the Little Coasters were mistaken for a Best Impressions design by almost everyone, when they were first unveiled!

Dan
25 Jan 2020, 10:23 am #422

(25 Jan 2020, 10:21 am)omnicity4659 Sorry, I assumed that the 'standard' timetables were Beacon's.

Funny you say that when the Little Coasters were mistaken for a Best Impressions design by almost everyone, when they were first unveiled!

25 Jan 2020, 11:14 am #423
Do you really think the 58 will go coperate when the new all singing and dancing electric buses arrive for it? Personally I think I think they'll go all out on a new brand for it to show its different, same with Saltwell Parks.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
Expresslink
25 Jan 2020, 11:14 am #423

Do you really think the 58 will go coperate when the new all singing and dancing electric buses arrive for it? Personally I think I think they'll go all out on a new brand for it to show its different, same with Saltwell Parks.

25 Jan 2020, 11:17 am #424
(25 Jan 2020, 10:23 am)Dan Funny you say that when the Little Coasters were mistaken for a Best Impressions design by almost everyone, when they were first unveiled!

Attention to detail is a nice thing to have. Most don't.
omnicity4659
25 Jan 2020, 11:17 am #424

(25 Jan 2020, 10:23 am)Dan Funny you say that when the Little Coasters were mistaken for a Best Impressions design by almost everyone, when they were first unveiled!

Attention to detail is a nice thing to have. Most don't.

Michael

25 Jan 2020, 12:16 pm #425
(25 Jan 2020, 11:14 am)Expresslink Do you really think the 58 will go coperate when the new all singing and dancing electric buses arrive for it? Personally I think I think they'll go all out on a new brand for it to show its different, same with Saltwell Parks.

I think they'll stick to the same brands but include on the bus that they're 100% electric and all the other pollution stuff.

Official slogan for the 58 should be: Electrifying your way to Newcastle.

I also... copyright that, and i want some money, if they use that slogan (very much doubt they will haha)

-----------------

Also last official day of the Loop Scania's in service, get your pictures now!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Jan 2020, 12:16 pm #425

(25 Jan 2020, 11:14 am)Expresslink Do you really think the 58 will go coperate when the new all singing and dancing electric buses arrive for it? Personally I think I think they'll go all out on a new brand for it to show its different, same with Saltwell Parks.

I think they'll stick to the same brands but include on the bus that they're 100% electric and all the other pollution stuff.

Official slogan for the 58 should be: Electrifying your way to Newcastle.

I also... copyright that, and i want some money, if they use that slogan (very much doubt they will haha)

-----------------

Also last official day of the Loop Scania's in service, get your pictures now!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

25 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm #426
(24 Jan 2020, 10:25 pm)BeachBoy99 And with brands, it makes them a more diverse and attractive company that customers want to see.

Contrary to what other people on here like to say, having brands (although not too many!) does indeed help brand recognition.
Since they launched X-Lines on the X21, my mother (who very much despises bus travel) keeps pointing it out saying how nice it looks, or when we're in Gateshead and an Angel goes past, she knows that's the one that goes to Durham (although not that often soon!)
But when she sees any Arriva bus, all she pictures is the horrible experience she had on the X46 (the 'new' 15 year old buses).
streetdeckfan
25 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm #426

(24 Jan 2020, 10:25 pm)BeachBoy99 And with brands, it makes them a more diverse and attractive company that customers want to see.

Contrary to what other people on here like to say, having brands (although not too many!) does indeed help brand recognition.
Since they launched X-Lines on the X21, my mother (who very much despises bus travel) keeps pointing it out saying how nice it looks, or when we're in Gateshead and an Angel goes past, she knows that's the one that goes to Durham (although not that often soon!)
But when she sees any Arriva bus, all she pictures is the horrible experience she had on the X46 (the 'new' 15 year old buses).

Andreos1

25 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm #427
(25 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm)streetdeckfan Contrary to what other people on here like to say, having brands (although not too many!) does indeed help brand recognition.

The folks don't like the 'Express bus' (the X12).
They perceive the buses on them to be old and dirty.
They're bright, intelligent people - but have no brand loyalty and don't choose a particular service (on a shared corridor) for its brand name alone. 

As they see it, the 'express bus' is blue. Other options aren't. 

When the Streetlites came to the 78, she could tell it was a new bus. But couldn't believe how rattly and uncomfortable it was.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm #427

(25 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm)streetdeckfan Contrary to what other people on here like to say, having brands (although not too many!) does indeed help brand recognition.

The folks don't like the 'Express bus' (the X12).
They're bright, intelligent people - but have no brand loyalty and don't choose a particular service (on a shared corridor) for its brand name alone. 

When the Streetlites came to the 78, she could tell it was a new bus. But couldn't believe how rattly and uncomfortable it was.

25 Jan 2020, 2:10 pm #428
(25 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm)Andreos1 The folks don't like the 'Express bus' (the X12).

The reason they perceive them to be old and dirt is because they are! Using the X12 was an awful experience, one which I don't care to repeat. Even Arriva's newer buses aren't in the best condition, and seem like they get a clean once a year, if they're lucky!

I remember when I went to the NEBus launch in Newcastle, I spoke to one of the people from Arriva and they were shocked at the state of the E400MMC that they sent down. It was all dented and scratched, the vinyl on the side was peeling and the sealant between panels was falling out and missing in places. And that's a 17 plate and in their words "the best one they had"!

I don't find the Streetlites necessarily uncomfortable, just a bit firm. The rattling is a definite issue, one which they've been saying they're trying to resolve for years now!
streetdeckfan
25 Jan 2020, 2:10 pm #428

(25 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm)Andreos1 The folks don't like the 'Express bus' (the X12).

The reason they perceive them to be old and dirt is because they are! Using the X12 was an awful experience, one which I don't care to repeat. Even Arriva's newer buses aren't in the best condition, and seem like they get a clean once a year, if they're lucky!

I remember when I went to the NEBus launch in Newcastle, I spoke to one of the people from Arriva and they were shocked at the state of the E400MMC that they sent down. It was all dented and scratched, the vinyl on the side was peeling and the sealant between panels was falling out and missing in places. And that's a 17 plate and in their words "the best one they had"!

I don't find the Streetlites necessarily uncomfortable, just a bit firm. The rattling is a definite issue, one which they've been saying they're trying to resolve for years now!

busmanT

25 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm #429
(24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

I'm not at all a fan of the new timetable style, I think it looks much worse with an actual photo rather than the 'drawing'
some of the new timetables are difficult to read with the colour contrast options being used on some of them - white on red isn't easy, especially under street lighting.
I'm surprised that there is a 14 timetable, without the 13 being included.

I've also noticed that the timetables that the links on the news page about the service changes take you to aren't the new leaflets but the original black and white ones.
busmanT
25 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm #429

(24 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm)streetdeckfan New timetables confirm 'The 49' brand is dead. Same with the 'Toonlink', 'Blaydon Racer', 'Metrocentre Mini', New timetable shows corporate Streetlite

I'm not at all a fan of the new timetable style, I think it looks much worse with an actual photo rather than the 'drawing'
some of the new timetables are difficult to read with the colour contrast options being used on some of them - white on red isn't easy, especially under street lighting.
I'm surprised that there is a 14 timetable, without the 13 being included.

I've also noticed that the timetables that the links on the news page about the service changes take you to aren't the new leaflets but the original black and white ones.

BusLoverMum

25 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm #430
Those ALX 400s are pretty uncomfortable, even if Belmont did do a good job of breathing new life into them (they were shot when they arrived.) I do find them uncomfortable, though, as my feet don't reach the floor on them. I'm average height fir a woman. I have the same issue on a lot of seats on GNE's ommnidekkas.

I have no problem with the X12. Love a pulsar and the best ones go like stink. The max branding makes for a dingy interior, though.
Edited 25 Jan 2020, 11:17 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
25 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm #430

Those ALX 400s are pretty uncomfortable, even if Belmont did do a good job of breathing new life into them (they were shot when they arrived.) I do find them uncomfortable, though, as my feet don't reach the floor on them. I'm average height fir a woman. I have the same issue on a lot of seats on GNE's ommnidekkas.

I have no problem with the X12. Love a pulsar and the best ones go like stink. The max branding makes for a dingy interior, though.

Ds1197

26 Jan 2020, 10:45 am #431
The 12/A still interwork with the 97 on a Sunday
Ds1197
26 Jan 2020, 10:45 am #431

The 12/A still interwork with the 97 on a Sunday

26 Jan 2020, 10:56 am #432
A few things I dislike about the changes on the app (for now, hopefully they get fixed asap)

The X21 is now split on the app, so from Newcastle it only shows Durham, then from Durham it shows Bishop (and from tomorrow presumably West Auckland). And from Bishop it just says Durham.
If this is still the case tomorrow, how would passengers know in advance which ones continue on to Bishop?
It's not really much of an issue with the X9/X10 as they both ultimately go to the same place, but with the X21 only every other one continues to Bishop.

Also, the new stops in West Auckland haven't been added yet, hopefully they're on tomorrow! (Although I doubt it'll be the case going off past experience)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
26 Jan 2020, 10:56 am #432

A few things I dislike about the changes on the app (for now, hopefully they get fixed asap)

The X21 is now split on the app, so from Newcastle it only shows Durham, then from Durham it shows Bishop (and from tomorrow presumably West Auckland). And from Bishop it just says Durham.
If this is still the case tomorrow, how would passengers know in advance which ones continue on to Bishop?
It's not really much of an issue with the X9/X10 as they both ultimately go to the same place, but with the X21 only every other one continues to Bishop.

Also, the new stops in West Auckland haven't been added yet, hopefully they're on tomorrow! (Although I doubt it'll be the case going off past experience)

L469 YVK

26 Jan 2020, 11:35 am #433
(26 Jan 2020, 10:56 am)streetdeckfan A few things I dislike about the changes on the app (for now, hopefully they get fixed asap)

I don't know if GNE can do anything about that as the map is linked to ticketer I believe. I've just checked Arriva too and the X18 only shows the registered split route Newcastle > Morpeth, Morpeth > Alnwick.

I get what you're saying that it can get confusing with 2x terminating at Durham with rest continuing to West Auckland.
L469 YVK
26 Jan 2020, 11:35 am #433

(26 Jan 2020, 10:56 am)streetdeckfan A few things I dislike about the changes on the app (for now, hopefully they get fixed asap)

I don't know if GNE can do anything about that as the map is linked to ticketer I believe. I've just checked Arriva too and the X18 only shows the registered split route Newcastle > Morpeth, Morpeth > Alnwick.

I get what you're saying that it can get confusing with 2x terminating at Durham with rest continuing to West Auckland.

26 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm #434
(26 Jan 2020, 11:35 am)L469 YVK I don't know if GNE can do anything about that as the map is linked to ticketer I believe. I've just checked Arriva too and the X18 only shows the registered split route Newcastle > Morpeth, Morpeth > Alnwick.

At least the journey planner in the app recognises that it's one route rather than split in Durham.
It wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest if it didn't allow a connected journey because the arrival and departure time are too close (I've had that issue with other journey planners in the past?)

streetdeckfan
26 Jan 2020, 12:32 pm #434

(26 Jan 2020, 11:35 am)L469 YVK I don't know if GNE can do anything about that as the map is linked to ticketer I believe. I've just checked Arriva too and the X18 only shows the registered split route Newcastle > Morpeth, Morpeth > Alnwick.

At least the journey planner in the app recognises that it's one route rather than split in Durham.
It wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest if it didn't allow a connected journey because the arrival and departure time are too close (I've had that issue with other journey planners in the past?)

Michael

26 Jan 2020, 6:30 pm #435
Other than all the Loop Scania's and the coach seated Scania's getting withdrawn today due to changes, have we seen anymore fleet movements?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Jan 2020, 6:30 pm #435

Other than all the Loop Scania's and the coach seated Scania's getting withdrawn today due to changes, have we seen anymore fleet movements?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm #436
(26 Jan 2020, 6:30 pm)Michael Other than all the Loop Scania's and the coach seated Scania's getting withdrawn today due to changes, have we seen anymore fleet movements?

All three Loops still in service.

Lots of other movements though - will be on GNEs fleet allocation update on the website tomorrow.

Dan
26 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm #436

(26 Jan 2020, 6:30 pm)Michael Other than all the Loop Scania's and the coach seated Scania's getting withdrawn today due to changes, have we seen anymore fleet movements?

All three Loops still in service.

Lots of other movements though - will be on GNEs fleet allocation update on the website tomorrow.

Michael

26 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm #437
(26 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm)Dan All three Loops still in service.

Ok cheers Dan.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm #437

(26 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm)Dan All three Loops still in service.

Ok cheers Dan.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

27 Jan 2020, 12:40 am #438
Sorry to bring this up again, but I was just reading through the newsroom article for the X21 and came across this absolute gem

Journey times are also faster than traditional bus routes in the area and offer a competitive alternative to the car. Most common journey times:
  • Bishop Auckland to Durham – 38 minutes
  • Durham to Gateshead – 42 minutes
  • Durham to Newcastle – 52 minutes
  • Framwellgate Moor to Gateshead – 37 minutes
  • Framwellgate Moor to Newcastle – 47 minutes
  • Chester-le-Street to Gateshead – 21 minutes
  • Chester-le-Street to Newcastle – 31 minutes
  • Low Fell (The Cannon) to Newcastle – 18 minutes

Notice how they conveniently forget to mention the journey time of the main termini of the route. 
Doesn't sound so appealing when you say 'Bishop Auckland to Newcastle - 90 minutes', and not really a 'competitive alternative to the car' when it takes over double the time

It also annoys me that they've assumed that the journey from Bishop to Durham takes the same time as Durham to Bishop, if we go from the timetable it's actually 4 minutes faster, so they could have got away with saying 'Bishop Auckland to Durham - 34 minutes'

Anywho, for Dan's sake I do hope when I get on the X21 in the morning that there is working NSA, or he won't hear the end of it!
streetdeckfan
27 Jan 2020, 12:40 am #438

Sorry to bring this up again, but I was just reading through the newsroom article for the X21 and came across this absolute gem

Journey times are also faster than traditional bus routes in the area and offer a competitive alternative to the car. Most common journey times:
  • Bishop Auckland to Durham – 38 minutes
  • Durham to Gateshead – 42 minutes
  • Durham to Newcastle – 52 minutes
  • Framwellgate Moor to Gateshead – 37 minutes
  • Framwellgate Moor to Newcastle – 47 minutes
  • Chester-le-Street to Gateshead – 21 minutes
  • Chester-le-Street to Newcastle – 31 minutes
  • Low Fell (The Cannon) to Newcastle – 18 minutes

Notice how they conveniently forget to mention the journey time of the main termini of the route. 
Doesn't sound so appealing when you say 'Bishop Auckland to Newcastle - 90 minutes', and not really a 'competitive alternative to the car' when it takes over double the time

It also annoys me that they've assumed that the journey from Bishop to Durham takes the same time as Durham to Bishop, if we go from the timetable it's actually 4 minutes faster, so they could have got away with saying 'Bishop Auckland to Durham - 34 minutes'

Anywho, for Dan's sake I do hope when I get on the X21 in the morning that there is working NSA, or he won't hear the end of it!

Andreos1

27 Jan 2020, 9:25 am #439
(25 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm)BusLoverMum Those ALX 400s are pretty uncomfortable, even if Belmont did do a good job of breathing new life into them (they were shot when they arrived.) I do find them uncomfortable, though, as my feet don't reach the floor on them. I'm average height fir a woman. I have the same issue on a lot of seats on GNE's ommnidekkas.

I have no problem with the X12. Love a pulsar and the best ones go like stink. The max branding makes for a dingy interior, though.

I agree. 
1440 is my favourite out there.

Unless there's been an error on my part and the 'dirty old express' was actually an Omnidekka on the X21!

Andreos1
27 Jan 2020, 9:25 am #439

(25 Jan 2020, 11:14 pm)BusLoverMum Those ALX 400s are pretty uncomfortable, even if Belmont did do a good job of breathing new life into them (they were shot when they arrived.) I do find them uncomfortable, though, as my feet don't reach the floor on them. I'm average height fir a woman. I have the same issue on a lot of seats on GNE's ommnidekkas.

I have no problem with the X12. Love a pulsar and the best ones go like stink. The max branding makes for a dingy interior, though.

I agree. 

Unless there's been an error on my part and the 'dirty old express' was actually an Omnidekka on the X21!

27 Jan 2020, 10:25 am #440
(27 Jan 2020, 9:25 am)Andreos1 I agree. 

What are you talking about, an Omnidekka is obviously a high spec vehicle with comfortable seats, next stop announcements and some seats around tables!

streetdeckfan
27 Jan 2020, 10:25 am #440

(27 Jan 2020, 9:25 am)Andreos1 I agree. 

What are you talking about, an Omnidekka is obviously a high spec vehicle with comfortable seats, next stop announcements and some seats around tables!

Pages (28) Previous 121 22 2328 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average