Menu

Pages (10)    1 2 310   
Andreos1   05 Feb 2020, 9:43 am
(04 Feb 2020, 11:12 pm)JP6004 wrote But that reckoning shouldn't they say eldon square bus station since the buses dont go into the shopping centre? Should they say Washington galleries bus station as they dont go into the galleries. Should the Q1 say Neville street since it doesn't go into the station?

Everyone knows the terminus as Park Lane, Eldon Square, Central Station so I dont see problem with them not displaying that the terminus is an interchange or bus station.

The 71 also does a loop of Houghton , not just stopping on Newbottle street.  The 93/94 do not stop on Sunderland Road, therefore why mention it?  

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

The 71 doesn't do a loop of Houghton at all. It goes in, stops at its two stops and then comes back out. Stopping at the opposite two stops. 

The 93/94 did stop on Sunderland Road until recently (a lot more recently than the last bus which went up Park Lane!), but the point was more about it being a road just near to the bus station. Like Park Lane/Park Lane Interchange.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 9:47 am
(05 Feb 2020, 9:08 am)Jimmi wrote Personally I feel as balance you need to have a bit of negativity as not everything can be good, I am forever picking up faults with companies even some of the more respected ones which has put me in the firing line when I've done so even though my criticism has been well justified, criticised an independent for having a service that would regularly be running late only for someone to say you could set your watch by them.

I personally hate some of the over praising going round in the hobby atm, especially with Transdev, they do some good things that deserve praise but then there's stuff that does not warrant a pass which again does not go down too well. I cringe at some posts over praising things to the point of arse kissing.

In my mind everything should be open to fair praise/criticism, some of the service suggestion posts I've seen on here would never work in a million ways and I have tried to fairly put my points across as to why I think that is and on some occasions I've felt my criticisms have not been taken well by the poster as a similar post pops up again about a month later.

If you think Streetdeckfan's level of moaning is bad, you should be glad you weren't on here between around 2014-2016 when I pretty much flooded the annoying threads with pretty much every little thing that wound me up. For the record whilst I am still easily irritated, I now handle things a lot better so I hope some can now look past that stage although poor quality public transport lately is really testing me at the moment.

I personally don't think I moan /that/ much! I might be a bit of a pessimist, but I'm certainly not negative for the sake of being negative! (although I do quite like winding people up)

Whenever I criticise something, I always try to explain why I don't like it, and how I would improve it.  Likewise, if there's something I like, I talk about that as well (which seems to be completely ignored)

As I've said in the past, I have a very long list of things I dislike about GNE (and an even longer one about Arriva!), but I believe I've only really mentioned a handful of them on here! 
Some of the things I've 'complained' about have been genuine, like the NSA for instance. I think it's absolutely unacceptable for the NSA to be disabled for the best part of a year on the X21.
My criticism of the GNE app was very valid, proved by the point that it has now been completely replaced, the new one is excellent in comparison (although still has stops that are no longer used, new stops haven't been added yet, and southbound X21s aren't tracking again!)

I too hate the rampant 'fanboyism' with some of the operators. I must admit, I am a bit of a fanboy when it comes to GNE (I even bought a house because it had a GNE service), but I will by no means praise them when they don't deserve it!

If people want to criticise my opinions, I don't particularly care, I can handle it, I've had worse things said to me by bus drivers than I have by people on here. Although with some comments recently I've had to tame my responses back quite a lot as I don't really want to get banned! (Going off one person's comments, I think it's less about me being negative and more them just not liking me because of something else)
deanmachine   05 Feb 2020, 10:29 am
Think you're forgetting too that Park Lane is the name of the Metro Station, not just the road or interchange.
BeachBoy99   05 Feb 2020, 11:54 am
(05 Feb 2020, 9:47 am)streetdeckfan wrote I personally don't think I moan /that/ much! I might be a bit of a pessimist, but I'm certainly not negative for the sake of being negative! (although I do quite like winding people up)

Whenever I criticise something, I always try to explain why I don't like it, and how I would improve it.  Likewise, if there's something I like, I talk about that as well (which seems to be completely ignored)

As I've said in the past, I have a very long list of things I dislike about GNE (and an even longer one about Arriva!), but I believe I've only really mentioned a handful of them on here! 
Some of the things I've 'complained' about have been genuine, like the NSA for instance. I think it's absolutely unacceptable for the NSA to be disabled for the best part of a year on the X21.
My criticism of the GNE app was very valid, proved by the point that it has now been completely replaced, the new one is excellent in comparison (although still has stops that are no longer used, new stops haven't been added yet, and southbound X21s aren't tracking again!)

I too hate the rampant 'fanboyism' with some of the operators. I must admit, I am a bit of a fanboy when it comes to GNE (I even bought a house because it had a GNE service), but I will by no means praise them when they don't deserve it!

If people want to criticise my opinions, I don't particularly care, I can handle it, I've had worse things said to me by bus drivers than I have by people on here. Although with some comments recently I've had to tame my responses back quite a lot as I don't really want to get banned! (Going off one person's comments, I think it's less about me being negative and more them just not liking me because of something else)

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, respected or not.

I guess it just shows your passion for bus enthusiasm in a way.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rob44   05 Feb 2020, 12:41 pm
I tend tpo moan about GNE but thats cause its the only service I use now living in their territory. But for balance can I just say it great to have NSA on the 28b!!!!
big mac   05 Feb 2020, 1:19 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 8:12 am)JP6004 wrote I have to agree, the 9 and 49 do seem pointless brands. Same as "The Nines" on the purple L94s. I think the destination displays were more helpful than the branding itself.
I think the main flaw with those brands is that they don't have a name. I suppose there's one argument to say that they've just kept it simple, but when you've had stuff like Castles Express, Angel, Blaydon Racer etc, and then you've just got "the 9" it just has that look of them having got to that one and just thought sod it, can't he arsed to think of anything.
JP6004   05 Feb 2020, 1:24 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:43 am)Andreos1 wrote The 71 doesn't do a loop of Houghton at all. It goes in, stops at its two stops and then comes back out. Stopping at the opposite two stops. 

The 93/94 did stop on Sunderland Road until recently (a lot more recently than the last bus which went up Park Lane!), but the point was more about it being a road just near to the bus station. Like Park Lane/Park Lane Interchange.
By point is there is no terminus on newbottle street. It loops back round on itself.

Yes the 93 used to, so why should it be included now

Andreos1   05 Feb 2020, 2:55 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 10:29 am)deanmachine wrote Think you're forgetting too that Park Lane is the name of the Metro Station, not just the road or interchange.

In which case, why don't they have the M at the end of the blind? 

(05 Feb 2020, 1:24 pm)JP6004 wrote By point is there is no terminus on newbottle street. It loops back round on itself.

Yes the 93 used to, so why should it be included now

Sunderland Road was a part of the 93/94 route. It is next to where it terminates.

Park Lane was a part of the 78 (778 route).
It is next to where it terminates.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 5:34 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 1:19 pm)big mac wrote I think the main flaw with those brands is that they don't have a name. I suppose there's one argument to say that they've just kept it simple, but when you've had stuff like Castles Express, Angel, Blaydon Racer etc, and then you've just got "the 9" it just has that look of them having got to that one and just thought sod it, can't he arsed to think of anything.

Castles Express will always be my favourite route brand. There's something about it that just sounds premium, much better than X-Lines imo. That's not to say I don't like X-Lines, I've really came round to it, and the buses themselves in the X-Lines livery do look very smart!
Plus, it just really flows on the NSA ("This is the Castles Express X21 Service to Newcastle"), whereas X-Lines just sounds very harsh ("This is the X-Lines X21 Service to Newcastle"). I think I just find 4 syllable route brands more pleasing on the ear
BusLoverMum   05 Feb 2020, 6:48 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 10:29 am)deanmachine wrote Think you're forgetting too that Park Lane is the name of the Metro Station, not just the road or interchange.
That's why it's an interchange. You can change between 2 different modes of public transport, there.
Ds1197   05 Feb 2020, 7:11 pm
Is there a lot of crusader citaros off the road at the minute seen a few citylinks on 26/27 The past few days
Wybus   05 Feb 2020, 7:21 pm
Many of the scholars and misc works don’t seem to track anymore, it might be since the app changed.

I was attempting to see what duties Washington have got back since 6905-9 returned, but these buses often only seem to track when they appear on the X1
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cainebj   05 Feb 2020, 9:07 pm
Pictures have appeared on LinkedIn at Wrightbus, showing that production has restarted. One of them showing a Streetdeck for X21 with it's "Lothian style" 2 front destination boards.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/wrightbus...68576-O20L

[Image: 0?e=1583971200&v=beta&t=BT8e4QZRZSnSKFUL...Em_9ccZsfg]
streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 9:10 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:07 pm)cainebj wrote Pictures have appeared on LinkedIn at Wrightbus, showing that production has restarted. One of them showing a Streetdeck for X21 with it's "Lothian style" 2 front destination boards.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/wrightbus...68576-O20L

[Image: 0?e=1583971200&v=beta&t=BT8e4QZRZSnSKFUL...Em_9ccZsfg]

MG mentioned during the live stream that they were going to have them. Should make it much easier to tell which one is for Bishop and which one is for Durham. Wonder if they would retrofit them to the existing X-Lines StreetDecks to have them match
JP6004   05 Feb 2020, 9:47 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote MG mentioned during the live stream that they were going to have them. Should make it much easier to tell which one is for Bishop and which one is for Durham. Wonder if they would retrofit them to the existing X-Lines StreetDecks to have them match
I hope so.

Looks like go north east logo going to be illuminated like the ADLs?

streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 9:49 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:47 pm)JP6004 wrote I hope so.

Looks like go north east logo going to be illuminated like the ADLs?

I vaguely remember him saying the illuminated logo and cant rail is going to be standard fit from now on, I could be mistaken though
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JP6004   05 Feb 2020, 9:56 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:49 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I vaguely remember him saying the illuminated logo and cant rail is going to be standard fit from now on, I could be mistaken though
I thought it was just the reflection on the roof but it certainly looks like there is a cant rail light from the picture.
streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 10:10 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 9:56 pm)JP6004 wrote I thought it was just the reflection on the roof but it certainly looks like there is a cant rail light from the picture.

I wonder if the white interior is just the protective plastic, I hope not, it'll certainly brighten the place up.
I just hope they keep the vinyl sky!
JP6004   05 Feb 2020, 10:31 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 10:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I wonder if the white interior is just the protective plastic, I hope not, it'll certainly brighten the place up.
I just hope they keep the vinyl sky!
White interior?
streetdeckfan   05 Feb 2020, 10:51 pm
(05 Feb 2020, 10:31 pm)JP6004 wrote White interior?

The plastic trim upstairs around the windows
Under the dash looks like it's staying burgundy, when I first saw it I thought it might have just been a primer, but they've installed the CCTV
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Citaro5326   06 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm
Some rumours going about that 6056-6070 going to riverside, could see them on crusaders with ex red arrow B9s too
JP6004   06 Feb 2020, 8:25 pm
(06 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm)Citaro5326 wrote Some rumours going about that 6056-6070 going to riverside, could see them on crusaders with ex red arrow B9s too
On the facebook live chat, think it was said coasters would remain where they are....

This picture from last year show a number of GNE steeetdecks on the production line. Better view of the dual destination screens [Image: 152fb5b11e6b050867a817e0a3a34c16.jpg]

streetdeckfan   06 Feb 2020, 9:53 pm
(06 Feb 2020, 8:18 pm)Citaro5326 wrote Some rumours going about that 6056-6070 going to riverside, could see them on crusaders with ex red arrow B9s too

I've always liked the B5 hybrids, they seem a lot more refined than the B9s. They've not long been on the Coasters so I wouldn't expect them to change any time soon
MrBoyt   06 Feb 2020, 11:32 pm
6056 didn't look too refined today when Alpha were towing it away!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   06 Feb 2020, 11:39 pm
(06 Feb 2020, 11:32 pm)MrBoyt wrote 6056 didn't look too refined today when Alpha were towing it away!

I bet it was lovely and quiet inside though!
streetdeckfan   07 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm
So I was just talking to someone, and it got me thinking. How does everyone else say the fleet numbers?
I personally find it easier to say the numbers individually, so for 6332 I would say six three three two. Whereas I've heard others say them in twos, so sixty three thirty two

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Venturego   07 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm
Just tried to find GNE routes/services to Newcastle Airport, as I thought an All Zone day ticket at £7 would save me using the car + parking etc.., but amazed to see GNE no longer have any services to the Airport. - Surely an Express link from Metro Centre, would be very successful as it would link to most of the GNE network using connecting services, and would be both Fast, Efficient use of possibly only one bus, and avoid City Centre, as transferring to onward services at Metro Centre would suffice.

As it is at the moment, I would need to buy a multi operator ticket, transferring to either Stagecoach or Metro trains in Newcastle etc...

Wonder if Martijn Gilbert is aware of, what seems to me, a huge missed opportunity to plug a gap, which I am sure there will be great demand from early morning to late night, servicing passengers on daily return flights.
Stanleyone   07 Feb 2020, 1:44 pm
(07 Feb 2020, 1:27 pm)Venturego wrote Just tried to find GNE routes/services to Newcastle Airport, as I thought an All Zone day ticket at £7 would save me using the car + parking etc.., but amazed to see GNE no longer have any services to the Airport. - Surely an Express link from Metro Centre, would be very successful as it would link to most of the GNE network using connecting services, and would be both Fast, Efficient use of possibly only one bus, and avoid City Centre, as transferring to onward services at Metro Centre would suffice.

As it is at the moment, I would need to buy a multi operator ticket, transferring to either Stagecoach or Metro trains in Newcastle etc...

Wonder if Martijn Gilbert is aware of, what seems to me, a huge missed opportunity to plug a gap, which I am sure there will be great demand from early morning to late night, servicing passengers on daily return flights.
Wasn’t there an arriva service between Metrocentre and the Airport via Throckley many years ago. But anyway there’s more to GNE than Martijn, if anything I would assume it would start with the commercial department.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   07 Feb 2020, 2:02 pm
42A goes to Newcastle Airport but it goes via everywhere beforehand

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
NewcastleOne   07 Feb 2020, 4:24 pm
(07 Feb 2020, 1:44 pm)Stanleyone wrote Wasn’t there an arriva service between Metrocentre and the Airport via Throckley many years ago. But anyway there’s more to GNE than Martijn, if anything I would assume it would start with the commercial department.
Think that might’ve been the 4(4a?).
Pages (10)    1 2 310