Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17) Previous 112 13 1417 Next
idiot

21 Oct 2020, 7:29 pm #241
I most say there was standees on the 86 yesterday morning before bus full went on and still collected passengers.

Daft thing is a colleague of mine drove past my street but I'm not allowed to car share but I was on a solo bus with people standing. Mind all but one person was wearing a mask.
idiot
21 Oct 2020, 7:29 pm #241

I most say there was standees on the 86 yesterday morning before bus full went on and still collected passengers.

Daft thing is a colleague of mine drove past my street but I'm not allowed to car share but I was on a solo bus with people standing. Mind all but one person was wearing a mask.

21 Oct 2020, 10:06 pm #242
(21 Oct 2020, 7:29 pm)idiot I most say there was standees on the 86 yesterday morning before bus full went on and still collected passengers.

Is it a company policy that you're not allowed to carshare, because according to the government guidance you're allowed to

Car sharing

It is difficult to socially distance during car journeys. You should avoid sharing a car with someone from outside your household or your support bubble unless you can practise social distancing. You can reduce the risk of transmission by:
  • opening windows for ventilation
  • travelling side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
  • facing away from each other
  • considering seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
  • cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products - make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
  • asking the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

Assuming you both wear a face covering there shouldn't really be an issue, and if you have the windows open, you're probably better off than being on a bus since everyone seems to close the windows still!
streetdeckfan
21 Oct 2020, 10:06 pm #242

(21 Oct 2020, 7:29 pm)idiot I most say there was standees on the 86 yesterday morning before bus full went on and still collected passengers.

Is it a company policy that you're not allowed to carshare, because according to the government guidance you're allowed to

Car sharing

It is difficult to socially distance during car journeys. You should avoid sharing a car with someone from outside your household or your support bubble unless you can practise social distancing. You can reduce the risk of transmission by:
  • opening windows for ventilation
  • travelling side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
  • facing away from each other
  • considering seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
  • cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products - make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
  • asking the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

Assuming you both wear a face covering there shouldn't really be an issue, and if you have the windows open, you're probably better off than being on a bus since everyone seems to close the windows still!

idiot

22 Oct 2020, 12:47 pm #243
Yes company policy unfortunately Sad
idiot
22 Oct 2020, 12:47 pm #243

Yes company policy unfortunately Sad

26 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm #244
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...EzGClXAsoE#

In order to cut costs due to Covid-19, Stagecoach will be switching off free onboard WiFi on buses from today with exceptions stated on this article

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
26 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm #244

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...EzGClXAsoE#

In order to cut costs due to Covid-19, Stagecoach will be switching off free onboard WiFi on buses from today with exceptions stated on this article

26 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm #245
(26 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...EzGClXAsoE#

Does anyone actually use the free WiFi on board? I find the 100mb limit makes it basically unusable
streetdeckfan
26 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm #245

(26 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...EzGClXAsoE#

Does anyone actually use the free WiFi on board? I find the 100mb limit makes it basically unusable

citaro5284

27 Oct 2020, 7:04 am #246
(26 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm)streetdeckfan Does anyone actually use the free WiFi on board? I find the 100mb limit makes it basically unusable

Clearly yes they do, GNE roughly using 1TB of data a week!
citaro5284
27 Oct 2020, 7:04 am #246

(26 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm)streetdeckfan Does anyone actually use the free WiFi on board? I find the 100mb limit makes it basically unusable

Clearly yes they do, GNE roughly using 1TB of data a week!

27 Oct 2020, 12:38 pm #247
(27 Oct 2020, 7:04 am)citaro5284 Clearly yes they do, GNE roughly using 1TB of data a week!

On average, that's only about 300mb per bus per day though.
streetdeckfan
27 Oct 2020, 12:38 pm #247

(27 Oct 2020, 7:04 am)citaro5284 Clearly yes they do, GNE roughly using 1TB of data a week!

On average, that's only about 300mb per bus per day though.

citaro5284

27 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm #248
(27 Oct 2020, 12:38 pm)streetdeckfan On average, that's only about 300mb per bus per day though.

But, your comment was "Does anyone actually use the WiFi" when clearly there is, even to get up to 300mb a day per vehicle as an average.
citaro5284
27 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm #248

(27 Oct 2020, 12:38 pm)streetdeckfan On average, that's only about 300mb per bus per day though.

But, your comment was "Does anyone actually use the WiFi" when clearly there is, even to get up to 300mb a day per vehicle as an average.

Ambassador

28 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm #249
(27 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm)citaro5284 But, your comment was "Does anyone actually use the WiFi" when clearly there is, even to get up to 300mb a day per vehicle as an average.

It's very low level - I would guess longer commuter routes take up the bulk of that.

Is that current figures because that would be fairly decent if it was. I never used to use it because 4G was much quicker and like most folk I have a fairly generous data policy these days.

Certainly not a deciding factor when commuting/travelling for me at least.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
28 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm #249

(27 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm)citaro5284 But, your comment was "Does anyone actually use the WiFi" when clearly there is, even to get up to 300mb a day per vehicle as an average.

It's very low level - I would guess longer commuter routes take up the bulk of that.

Is that current figures because that would be fairly decent if it was. I never used to use it because 4G was much quicker and like most folk I have a fairly generous data policy these days.

citaro5284

28 Oct 2020, 6:48 pm #250
(28 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm)Ambassador It's very low level - I would guess longer commuter routes take up the bulk of that.

Yes, it was week before last.
citaro5284
28 Oct 2020, 6:48 pm #250

(28 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm)Ambassador It's very low level - I would guess longer commuter routes take up the bulk of that.

Yes, it was week before last.

col87

31 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm #251
With lockdown happening anyone think the bus companies will go back to a limited service for a few weeks.
col87
31 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm #251

With lockdown happening anyone think the bus companies will go back to a limited service for a few weeks.

BusLoverMum

31 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm #252
Travel to work via public transport is still allowed, though obviously, not so many work places will be open.
BusLoverMum
31 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm #252

Travel to work via public transport is still allowed, though obviously, not so many work places will be open.

31 Oct 2020, 8:40 pm #253
(31 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm)col87 With lockdown happening anyone think the bus companies will go back to a limited service for a few weeks.

Doubt it, it's the government that have told the bus companies to go back to full service. Schools, factories and other work places being open, they probably still need the extra capacity, except for perhaps on an evening/weekends.
deanmachine
31 Oct 2020, 8:40 pm #253

(31 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm)col87 With lockdown happening anyone think the bus companies will go back to a limited service for a few weeks.

Doubt it, it's the government that have told the bus companies to go back to full service. Schools, factories and other work places being open, they probably still need the extra capacity, except for perhaps on an evening/weekends.

Ambassador

01 Nov 2020, 12:11 am #254
There’ll be a huge dip. Tier 2 dropped the Metro back down to 40%, I imagine this will have a worse affect.

We’ve made the decision to close our offices until February next year so the 100 or so that were in will pop in for their laptops etc on Monday and go straight home. Hearing similar things from my opposite numbers elsewhere, even the civil service is reverting for some grades .

Funding near empty buses and trains is a burden taxpayers can do without right now...

Ambassador
01 Nov 2020, 12:11 am #254

There’ll be a huge dip. Tier 2 dropped the Metro back down to 40%, I imagine this will have a worse affect.

We’ve made the decision to close our offices until February next year so the 100 or so that were in will pop in for their laptops etc on Monday and go straight home. Hearing similar things from my opposite numbers elsewhere, even the civil service is reverting for some grades .

Funding near empty buses and trains is a burden taxpayers can do without right now...

James101

31 Dec 2020, 12:37 am #255
As we head into lockdown #3/tier 4 for the foreseeable future I wonder what everyone thinks about operators broadly continuing to operate a full timetable?

Their costs are covered by the COVID-19 Bus Services Support Grant but is this the most appropriate use of public money at this time? Would the ‘Sunday Plus’ timetables not suffice during tier 4? All services would run, with normal first, last and off peak departures but I can’t really see any route justifying a 10 minute frequency until we move to at least tier 3.

I understand CBSSG requires operators and local authorities to work together to agree service provision so it’s not totally ‘on them’ but LAs have a lot on their plate right now and with £27M per week currently being spent on keeping buses running, superfluous services are an expensive luxury.
James101
31 Dec 2020, 12:37 am #255

As we head into lockdown #3/tier 4 for the foreseeable future I wonder what everyone thinks about operators broadly continuing to operate a full timetable?

Their costs are covered by the COVID-19 Bus Services Support Grant but is this the most appropriate use of public money at this time? Would the ‘Sunday Plus’ timetables not suffice during tier 4? All services would run, with normal first, last and off peak departures but I can’t really see any route justifying a 10 minute frequency until we move to at least tier 3.

I understand CBSSG requires operators and local authorities to work together to agree service provision so it’s not totally ‘on them’ but LAs have a lot on their plate right now and with £27M per week currently being spent on keeping buses running, superfluous services are an expensive luxury.

Ambassador

01 Jan 2021, 11:46 pm #256
I agree, cut down to service minimums to get people from A to B. We shouldn’t be propping up multi million pound businesses. We’re not doing it for other sectors Furlough costs will cost the tax payer less than all this dead mileage and fresh air movement.

Ambassador
01 Jan 2021, 11:46 pm #256

I agree, cut down to service minimums to get people from A to B. We shouldn’t be propping up multi million pound businesses. We’re not doing it for other sectors Furlough costs will cost the tax payer less than all this dead mileage and fresh air movement.

James101

02 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm #257
(01 Jan 2021, 11:46 pm)Ambassador I agree, cut down to service minimums to get people from A to B.  We shouldn’t be propping up multi million pound businesses. We’re not doing it for other sectors Furlough costs will cost the tax payer less than all this dead mileage and fresh air movement.

I recognise it’s complicated as buses are integral to key worker transportation and the economy in general as well as the direct employment of company staff. Most buses are British built so also indirectly supporting the recovery in that regard. But it’ll be hard to stomach the big op-cos going back to resisting re-regulation after taking life support for most of 2020/1.

What really stinks is the hypocrisy of Diamond, Stagecoach etc in Manchester who categorically do want your money, but only on their terms.

https://www.yourbuses.co.uk/
James101
02 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm #257

(01 Jan 2021, 11:46 pm)Ambassador I agree, cut down to service minimums to get people from A to B.  We shouldn’t be propping up multi million pound businesses. We’re not doing it for other sectors Furlough costs will cost the tax payer less than all this dead mileage and fresh air movement.

I recognise it’s complicated as buses are integral to key worker transportation and the economy in general as well as the direct employment of company staff. Most buses are British built so also indirectly supporting the recovery in that regard. But it’ll be hard to stomach the big op-cos going back to resisting re-regulation after taking life support for most of 2020/1.

What really stinks is the hypocrisy of Diamond, Stagecoach etc in Manchester who categorically do want your money, but only on their terms.

IRHardy

03 Jan 2021, 10:09 am #258
(02 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm)James101 I recognise it’s complicated as buses are integral to key worker transportation and the economy in general as well as the direct employment of company staff. Most buses are British built so also indirectly supporting the recovery in that regard. But it’ll be hard to stomach the big op-cos going back to resisting re-regulation after taking life support for most of 2020/1.

What really stinks is the hypocrisy of Diamond, Stagecoach etc in Manchester who categorically do want your money, but only on their  terms.

The problem is that two issues have come together which are incompatible:

1. Franchising:
The bus companies are businesses and what Transport for Greater Manchester are planning to do is to put all the bus services out to contract. The winner gets paid for operating that service, but if that is not the existing operator, then the existing operator does not get any compensation for that part of the business being taken away from them (i.e stolen). So the efforts that these companies have put into their businesses (which in most cases they indirectly purchased from GMPTE in good faith) means nothing and TfGM are saying is not worth anything. When the buses were nationalised to create the NBC in the 1960's, the operations were purchased from the existing owners, the owners received recompense for their business being taken away from them.
If I owned a business and the "government" decided that I could no longer carry on trading as they were going to take that business away from me, I would want compensating for the loss of income.

2. COVID-19:
The Government funding for bus services was because the Government imposed Social Distancing requirements which meant that more buses were needed to be run than would needed in "normal" times. When the SD requirements are removed, then the Government funding for bus companies will disappear and the bus companies will be back on their own, having to make enough money to keep the services running.
IRHardy
03 Jan 2021, 10:09 am #258

(02 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm)James101 I recognise it’s complicated as buses are integral to key worker transportation and the economy in general as well as the direct employment of company staff. Most buses are British built so also indirectly supporting the recovery in that regard. But it’ll be hard to stomach the big op-cos going back to resisting re-regulation after taking life support for most of 2020/1.

What really stinks is the hypocrisy of Diamond, Stagecoach etc in Manchester who categorically do want your money, but only on their  terms.

The problem is that two issues have come together which are incompatible:

1. Franchising:
The bus companies are businesses and what Transport for Greater Manchester are planning to do is to put all the bus services out to contract. The winner gets paid for operating that service, but if that is not the existing operator, then the existing operator does not get any compensation for that part of the business being taken away from them (i.e stolen). So the efforts that these companies have put into their businesses (which in most cases they indirectly purchased from GMPTE in good faith) means nothing and TfGM are saying is not worth anything. When the buses were nationalised to create the NBC in the 1960's, the operations were purchased from the existing owners, the owners received recompense for their business being taken away from them.
If I owned a business and the "government" decided that I could no longer carry on trading as they were going to take that business away from me, I would want compensating for the loss of income.

2. COVID-19:
The Government funding for bus services was because the Government imposed Social Distancing requirements which meant that more buses were needed to be run than would needed in "normal" times. When the SD requirements are removed, then the Government funding for bus companies will disappear and the bus companies will be back on their own, having to make enough money to keep the services running.

03 Jan 2021, 1:25 pm #259
(03 Jan 2021, 10:09 am)IRHardy The problem is that two issues have come together which are incompatible:

1. Franchising:

2. COVID-19:

If I was a bus operator I'd probably be inclined to tell TfGM to GFY.
They're working on the premise that the operators will want to play their game, but if they don't they're left without any operators to run their franchised services
streetdeckfan
03 Jan 2021, 1:25 pm #259

(03 Jan 2021, 10:09 am)IRHardy The problem is that two issues have come together which are incompatible:

1. Franchising:

2. COVID-19:

If I was a bus operator I'd probably be inclined to tell TfGM to GFY.
They're working on the premise that the operators will want to play their game, but if they don't they're left without any operators to run their franchised services

James101

03 Jan 2021, 9:33 pm #260

1. Franchising:

2. COVID-19:

Franchising - In Manchester there's only really Stagecoach who would have reason to complain the business they acquired from GM Buses is being taken away. Rotala & Go Ahead have entered Manchester knowing franchising is on the table. The government/TfGM are in no way saying they can no longer continue trading, just that the parameters of operating are changing. Franchising still allows for companies to be profitable. 

COVID-19 - Not all operators & regions introduced dupes, but all operators did receive life support funding. NE operators did respond positively and it seems GNE even  seen a lucrative opportunity in using their surplus fleet under contract to other operators for scholars dupes. Clearly the big issue for operators is plummeting passenger numbers which makes it impossible to run a service for a profit. Bus operators, however, have received a disproportionate amount of government support. As a restaurant operator, I'd be doing cartwheels down Northumberland Street if our businesses received anything like what bus operators are. It's in poor taste to take this money 'for as long as necessary', but then demand the government butt out of your business on demand. 

(03 Jan 2021, 1:25 pm)streetdeckfan If I was a bus operator I'd probably be inclined to tell TfGM to GFY.

I don't think that'll be an issue, because money. Manchester is probably the most diverse bus market in the UK with Stagecoach, First, Arriva, Go-Ahead, Rotala, Transdev & now Abelio all having an interest. If one operator declines to bid for a route, another will have no trouble in picking it up. It was Brian Souter (excellent businessman, terrible human) who was most vocal against franchising whenever & wherever it came up. Since he's no longer directly active in managing Stagecoach I'd be surprised if they went through with his previously bullish threats of not participating in franchising & selling depots to land developers.  

I'm not convinced franchising is the best thing for buses since low-floors, but I do think TfGM's proposals make enough sense for this to be a sizeable pilot to see if it can work.
James101
03 Jan 2021, 9:33 pm #260

1. Franchising:

2. COVID-19:

Franchising - In Manchester there's only really Stagecoach who would have reason to complain the business they acquired from GM Buses is being taken away. Rotala & Go Ahead have entered Manchester knowing franchising is on the table. The government/TfGM are in no way saying they can no longer continue trading, just that the parameters of operating are changing. Franchising still allows for companies to be profitable. 

COVID-19 - Not all operators & regions introduced dupes, but all operators did receive life support funding. NE operators did respond positively and it seems GNE even  seen a lucrative opportunity in using their surplus fleet under contract to other operators for scholars dupes. Clearly the big issue for operators is plummeting passenger numbers which makes it impossible to run a service for a profit. Bus operators, however, have received a disproportionate amount of government support. As a restaurant operator, I'd be doing cartwheels down Northumberland Street if our businesses received anything like what bus operators are. It's in poor taste to take this money 'for as long as necessary', but then demand the government butt out of your business on demand. 

(03 Jan 2021, 1:25 pm)streetdeckfan If I was a bus operator I'd probably be inclined to tell TfGM to GFY.

I don't think that'll be an issue, because money. Manchester is probably the most diverse bus market in the UK with Stagecoach, First, Arriva, Go-Ahead, Rotala, Transdev & now Abelio all having an interest. If one operator declines to bid for a route, another will have no trouble in picking it up. It was Brian Souter (excellent businessman, terrible human) who was most vocal against franchising whenever & wherever it came up. Since he's no longer directly active in managing Stagecoach I'd be surprised if they went through with his previously bullish threats of not participating in franchising & selling depots to land developers.  

I'm not convinced franchising is the best thing for buses since low-floors, but I do think TfGM's proposals make enough sense for this to be a sizeable pilot to see if it can work.

Pages (17) Previous 112 13 1417 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average