Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East New service X11

New service X11

New service X11

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average

Pages (28): Previous 119 20 2128 Next
20 Apr 2021, 3:49 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 8:33 am)omnicity4659 Arriva do constantly monitor vehicles (albeit from the depot, and have done since 2014) and have the ability to use Ticketer to contact drivers, so I don't get why you're comparing them seeing as GNE still managed to slip up from their nice control centre?
Not as effective as two way radios though. With GNE, if a trunk route (21, X1, 56) or group of routes (10's, Cobalts) running on exact common sections heading to a common terminus are running late, they can be regulated with passengers transfering on one behind or that plus passengers heading to terminus taken "non stop".

Arriva still has to rely on driver discretion for that to happen.
L469 YVK
20 Apr 2021, 3:49 pm #381

(20 Apr 2021, 8:33 am)omnicity4659 Arriva do constantly monitor vehicles (albeit from the depot, and have done since 2014) and have the ability to use Ticketer to contact drivers, so I don't get why you're comparing them seeing as GNE still managed to slip up from their nice control centre?
Not as effective as two way radios though. With GNE, if a trunk route (21, X1, 56) or group of routes (10's, Cobalts) running on exact common sections heading to a common terminus are running late, they can be regulated with passengers transfering on one behind or that plus passengers heading to terminus taken "non stop".

20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 3:49 pm)L469 YVK Not as effective as two way radios though. With GNE, if a trunk route (21, X1, 56) or group of routes (10's, Cobalts) running on exact common sections heading to a common terminus are running late, they can be regulated with passengers transfering on one behind or that plus passengers heading to terminus taken "non stop".

Personally I prefer the way that Arriva do it with regulating things at a certain point; Ashington - Ashington Bus Station, Blyth - Blyth Bus Station, Jesmond - Haymarket Bus Station, Durham - Durham Bus Station and when a service running late just running an extra bus out or sending out a bus which is sitting around for 10 minutes in a layover straight away and sending the bus 10 minutes late on the bus which was on a layover.

It's much less of a piss on than buses terminating early ie at Gateshead and leaving customers dumped to get another bus or having to wait an extra 20 minutes at the terminus because the late one turned round short.

It's one of the worst things about GNE imo and why brands are crap as it forces you to do it that way unless you don't care about buses being on wrong routes (Arriva Blyth / Jesmond). Sometimes it's better to have someone on the ground regulating things rather than sitting in an office 10 mile away from where the buses are.

---

Also I still don't understand why the X11 serves Middlesbrough and Billingham, surely it would be better to save the 25 mins or so than diverting through 2 points which people won't get on - in particular with Middlesbrough because of the cost.
Storx
20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm #382

(20 Apr 2021, 3:49 pm)L469 YVK Not as effective as two way radios though. With GNE, if a trunk route (21, X1, 56) or group of routes (10's, Cobalts) running on exact common sections heading to a common terminus are running late, they can be regulated with passengers transfering on one behind or that plus passengers heading to terminus taken "non stop".

Personally I prefer the way that Arriva do it with regulating things at a certain point; Ashington - Ashington Bus Station, Blyth - Blyth Bus Station, Jesmond - Haymarket Bus Station, Durham - Durham Bus Station and when a service running late just running an extra bus out or sending out a bus which is sitting around for 10 minutes in a layover straight away and sending the bus 10 minutes late on the bus which was on a layover.

It's much less of a piss on than buses terminating early ie at Gateshead and leaving customers dumped to get another bus or having to wait an extra 20 minutes at the terminus because the late one turned round short.

It's one of the worst things about GNE imo and why brands are crap as it forces you to do it that way unless you don't care about buses being on wrong routes (Arriva Blyth / Jesmond). Sometimes it's better to have someone on the ground regulating things rather than sitting in an office 10 mile away from where the buses are.

---

Also I still don't understand why the X11 serves Middlesbrough and Billingham, surely it would be better to save the 25 mins or so than diverting through 2 points which people won't get on - in particular with Middlesbrough because of the cost.

20 Apr 2021, 4:05 pm

if the arriva 44 to town was late it always took me to the place i wanted to go - not kicking me off a regent centre to change to another bus so it can do a quick turn around..... the number of times ive been told to alight a GNE bus at gateshead ( all had Newcastle as destination) and been made to get on another one.... got to be 20-30 time and once waited 15 minutes for a Newcastle service to come cause the driver lett 3 buses toward tome pull out.
Rob44
20 Apr 2021, 4:05 pm #383

if the arriva 44 to town was late it always took me to the place i wanted to go - not kicking me off a regent centre to change to another bus so it can do a quick turn around..... the number of times ive been told to alight a GNE bus at gateshead ( all had Newcastle as destination) and been made to get on another one.... got to be 20-30 time and once waited 15 minutes for a Newcastle service to come cause the driver lett 3 buses toward tome pull out.

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm)Storx Also I still don't understand why the X11 serves Middlesbrough and Billingham, surely it would be better to save the 25 mins or so than diverting through 2 points which people won't get on - in particular with Middlesbrough because of the cost.

The passengers who boarded in Middlesbrough on Saturday clearly had a reason for choosing the X11 over the X93/4!
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm #384

(20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm)Storx Also I still don't understand why the X11 serves Middlesbrough and Billingham, surely it would be better to save the 25 mins or so than diverting through 2 points which people won't get on - in particular with Middlesbrough because of the cost.

The passengers who boarded in Middlesbrough on Saturday clearly had a reason for choosing the X11 over the X93/4!

20 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm)Dan The passengers who boarded in Middlesbrough on Saturday clearly had a reason for choosing the X11 over the X93/4!

I think the more telling thing will be how many passengers board next week and the week after. 

I'd hazard a guess and say a good proportion of the passengers who used it were enthusiasts wanting to give it a go. As with everything, a good launch doesn't necessarily mean loadings will continue to be good once the novelty wears off
streetdeckfan
20 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm #385

(20 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm)Dan The passengers who boarded in Middlesbrough on Saturday clearly had a reason for choosing the X11 over the X93/4!

I think the more telling thing will be how many passengers board next week and the week after. 

I'd hazard a guess and say a good proportion of the passengers who used it were enthusiasts wanting to give it a go. As with everything, a good launch doesn't necessarily mean loadings will continue to be good once the novelty wears off

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm)streetdeckfan I think the more telling thing will be how many passengers board next week and the week after. 

It seems that most of the users on Saturday were genuine passengers. Most enthusiasts travelled on the X9/X10 and X93/4 services and took photos of the bus at Whitby or Scarborough, as it was either free, better value to do so (i.e. on an Explorer ticket), or they required a toilet break (so had to split their journey).
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm #386

(20 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm)streetdeckfan I think the more telling thing will be how many passengers board next week and the week after. 

It seems that most of the users on Saturday were genuine passengers. Most enthusiasts travelled on the X9/X10 and X93/4 services and took photos of the bus at Whitby or Scarborough, as it was either free, better value to do so (i.e. on an Explorer ticket), or they required a toilet break (so had to split their journey).

20 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm)Dan It seems that most of the users on Saturday were genuine passengers. Most enthusiasts travelled on the X9/X10 and X93/4 services and took photos of the bus at Whitby or Scarborough, as it was either free, better value to do so, or they required a toilet break.

Don't forget a coffee break!
streetdeckfan
20 Apr 2021, 5:05 pm #387

(20 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm)Dan It seems that most of the users on Saturday were genuine passengers. Most enthusiasts travelled on the X9/X10 and X93/4 services and took photos of the bus at Whitby or Scarborough, as it was either free, better value to do so, or they required a toilet break.

Don't forget a coffee break!

20 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm
This service isn't for us enthusiasts to get so high up about it. This is a holiday service bus. I don't see such a big fuss. If the X11 serves said stop. Nobody gets on. Why would it serve that stop on the way back. You have to think. Its a nearly 3 hour bus journey. Plus that driver is doing Newcastle to Scarborough then Scarborough to Whitby and back to Scarborough then back to Newcastle. Like someone said before. Why would a driver serve a stop and picks Nobody up. Why do u think the coach wasn't needed after Middlesbrough. Why compare Go North East to GCT. Its a first weekend service. Of course not everything is gonna be great first time. It could have been worse. 6377 could have broken down halfway down to Scarborough say it broke down in Whitby. That means you would have to wait for a new bus or be advised to take another bus. Missing one stop possible because Nobody had gotten on the way down. If it was a public service that was used everyday. Yes I could understand. But its a holiday service. Nobody bar us enthusiasts and the person motoring the bus would care. To a normal person. Its not gonna bother them. After a day out and your tired. Do you really think a regular person is gonna care that they missed out a stop thay Nobody got on the way down. Its just something us enthusiasts have pointed out.

It's a brand new service and yet nearly everyone is picking it to bits already. Yes if it did it over the next coming weekends yes I'd understand but it's a brand new service. Obviously there is gonna be a slight bit of problem
Micheal Aaron Parker
20 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm #388

This service isn't for us enthusiasts to get so high up about it. This is a holiday service bus. I don't see such a big fuss. If the X11 serves said stop. Nobody gets on. Why would it serve that stop on the way back. You have to think. Its a nearly 3 hour bus journey. Plus that driver is doing Newcastle to Scarborough then Scarborough to Whitby and back to Scarborough then back to Newcastle. Like someone said before. Why would a driver serve a stop and picks Nobody up. Why do u think the coach wasn't needed after Middlesbrough. Why compare Go North East to GCT. Its a first weekend service. Of course not everything is gonna be great first time. It could have been worse. 6377 could have broken down halfway down to Scarborough say it broke down in Whitby. That means you would have to wait for a new bus or be advised to take another bus. Missing one stop possible because Nobody had gotten on the way down. If it was a public service that was used everyday. Yes I could understand. But its a holiday service. Nobody bar us enthusiasts and the person motoring the bus would care. To a normal person. Its not gonna bother them. After a day out and your tired. Do you really think a regular person is gonna care that they missed out a stop thay Nobody got on the way down. Its just something us enthusiasts have pointed out.

It's a brand new service and yet nearly everyone is picking it to bits already. Yes if it did it over the next coming weekends yes I'd understand but it's a brand new service. Obviously there is gonna be a slight bit of problem

20 Apr 2021, 5:28 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm)Micheal Aaron Parker This service isn't for us enthusiasts to get so high up about it. This is a holiday service bus. I don't see such a big fuss. If the X11 serves said stop. Nobody gets on. Why would it serve that stop on the way back. You have to think. Its a nearly 3 hour bus journey. Plus that driver is doing Newcastle to Scarborough then Scarborough to Whitby and back to Scarborough then back to Newcastle. Like someone said before. Why would a driver serve a stop and picks Nobody up. Why do u think the coach wasn't needed after Middlesbrough. Why compare Go North East to GCT. Its a first weekend service. Of course not everything is gonna be great first time. It could have been worse. 6377 could have broken down halfway down to Scarborough say it broke down in Whitby. That means you would have to wait for a new bus or be advised to take another bus. Missing one stop possible because Nobody had gotten on the way down. If it was a public service that was used everyday. Yes I could understand. But its a holiday service. Nobody bar us enthusiasts and the person motoring the bus would care. To a normal person. Its not gonna bother them. After a day out and your tired. Do you really think a regular person is gonna care that they missed out a stop thay Nobody got on the way down. Its just something us enthusiasts have pointed out.

Because not everybody gets off at the same stop they got on. What if after my day trip to Scarborough I wanted to visit a friend in Billingham?
streetdeckfan
20 Apr 2021, 5:28 pm #389

(20 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm)Micheal Aaron Parker This service isn't for us enthusiasts to get so high up about it. This is a holiday service bus. I don't see such a big fuss. If the X11 serves said stop. Nobody gets on. Why would it serve that stop on the way back. You have to think. Its a nearly 3 hour bus journey. Plus that driver is doing Newcastle to Scarborough then Scarborough to Whitby and back to Scarborough then back to Newcastle. Like someone said before. Why would a driver serve a stop and picks Nobody up. Why do u think the coach wasn't needed after Middlesbrough. Why compare Go North East to GCT. Its a first weekend service. Of course not everything is gonna be great first time. It could have been worse. 6377 could have broken down halfway down to Scarborough say it broke down in Whitby. That means you would have to wait for a new bus or be advised to take another bus. Missing one stop possible because Nobody had gotten on the way down. If it was a public service that was used everyday. Yes I could understand. But its a holiday service. Nobody bar us enthusiasts and the person motoring the bus would care. To a normal person. Its not gonna bother them. After a day out and your tired. Do you really think a regular person is gonna care that they missed out a stop thay Nobody got on the way down. Its just something us enthusiasts have pointed out.

Because not everybody gets off at the same stop they got on. What if after my day trip to Scarborough I wanted to visit a friend in Billingham?

20 Apr 2021, 5:32 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm)Storx Personally I prefer the way that Arriva do it with regulating things at a certain point; Ashington - Ashington Bus Station, Blyth - Blyth Bus Station, Jesmond - Haymarket Bus Station, Durham - Durham Bus Station and when a service running late just running an extra bus out or sending out a bus which is sitting around for 10 minutes in a layover straight away and sending the bus 10 minutes late on the bus which was on a layover.

But what about if you have 2x 308's chasing each other at Billy Mill towards Newcastle? If Arriva had radios, communication could be established to do the following:
* Any punters wanting stops en route go on bus behind
* Any punters wanting St Mary's / Haymarket stay on but bus is non stoo.

That way it's a win win. Punters heading to town will be less late and outbound journey will leave on time.
L469 YVK
20 Apr 2021, 5:32 pm #390

(20 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm)Storx Personally I prefer the way that Arriva do it with regulating things at a certain point; Ashington - Ashington Bus Station, Blyth - Blyth Bus Station, Jesmond - Haymarket Bus Station, Durham - Durham Bus Station and when a service running late just running an extra bus out or sending out a bus which is sitting around for 10 minutes in a layover straight away and sending the bus 10 minutes late on the bus which was on a layover.

But what about if you have 2x 308's chasing each other at Billy Mill towards Newcastle? If Arriva had radios, communication could be established to do the following:

That way it's a win win. Punters heading to town will be less late and outbound journey will leave on time.

20 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm

They legally have to serve every stop that's why people are moaning regardless to whether someone wants to get on/off. People are picking it up as certain members attack GCT for doing the exactly the same thing in particular with the Doxford Park services where they have no-one on the bus so why bother running the rest of the route approach.

(20 Apr 2021, 5:32 pm)L469 YVK But what about if you have 2x 308's chasing each other at Billy Mill towards Newcastle? If Arriva had radios, communication could be established to do the following:

Yeah that's a fair point but does that ever happen? Unless the first bus is having serious issues then it should be a very very rare occurance for one to get delayed for 15 minutes somehow yet the one behind can run perfectly fine since they would've already been regulated at Blyth 20 minutes beforehand. Can't remember the 308 ever stacking with itself but I can't say it never happens. Stagecoach is the one who usually has the serious stacking problems especially with the 1 and 62/63 where sometimes you can get 3 following each other - not sure Stagecoach do any regulating at all tbh.
Storx
20 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm #391

They legally have to serve every stop that's why people are moaning regardless to whether someone wants to get on/off. People are picking it up as certain members attack GCT for doing the exactly the same thing in particular with the Doxford Park services where they have no-one on the bus so why bother running the rest of the route approach.

(20 Apr 2021, 5:32 pm)L469 YVK But what about if you have 2x 308's chasing each other at Billy Mill towards Newcastle? If Arriva had radios, communication could be established to do the following:

Yeah that's a fair point but does that ever happen? Unless the first bus is having serious issues then it should be a very very rare occurance for one to get delayed for 15 minutes somehow yet the one behind can run perfectly fine since they would've already been regulated at Blyth 20 minutes beforehand. Can't remember the 308 ever stacking with itself but I can't say it never happens. Stagecoach is the one who usually has the serious stacking problems especially with the 1 and 62/63 where sometimes you can get 3 following each other - not sure Stagecoach do any regulating at all tbh.

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm)Storx They legally have to serve every stop that's why people are moaning regardless to whether someone wants to get on/off. People are picking it up as certain members attack GCT for doing the exactly the same thing in particular with the Doxford Park services where they have no-one on the bus so why bother running the rest of the route approach.

I'll take the bit in bold as being directed at me (don't be shy in future, Storx!) but I'd hope the discussion and debate was intended to be more constructive than that, as that would be a little petty!

There are clear differences between the two, in my eyes, as I indicated this morning. In this example, the driver has intended to do something which is right by the passengers on his bus (given the very unique nature of the route), not realising the wider implications given it's a registered bus service. In the example of Gateshead Central Taxis, you could possibly argue the same that the driver is getting workers back home early, but it's more likely that this is being done for personal gain (to 'knock off' early!)
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm #392

(20 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm)Storx They legally have to serve every stop that's why people are moaning regardless to whether someone wants to get on/off. People are picking it up as certain members attack GCT for doing the exactly the same thing in particular with the Doxford Park services where they have no-one on the bus so why bother running the rest of the route approach.

I'll take the bit in bold as being directed at me (don't be shy in future, Storx!) but I'd hope the discussion and debate was intended to be more constructive than that, as that would be a little petty!

There are clear differences between the two, in my eyes, as I indicated this morning. In this example, the driver has intended to do something which is right by the passengers on his bus (given the very unique nature of the route), not realising the wider implications given it's a registered bus service. In the example of Gateshead Central Taxis, you could possibly argue the same that the driver is getting workers back home early, but it's more likely that this is being done for personal gain (to 'knock off' early!)

20 Apr 2021, 6:45 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm)cbma06 Don’t know how the ticketing works on the X11, just trying to get my head round it, if no passengers board the X11 at billingham to East Yorkshire for example , why would the bus serve billingham on the way back up north if there’s no passenger to alight from said bus stop, I understand it’s a commercial service , but if a passenger boards the X11 at billingham northbound etc... if it’s an adult passenger for example there would have to pay £15 to get on the bus, I think the X11 purpose going back up north is mostly a drop off service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crux of it is that it's a branded bus - which operates under a different brand name on website/timetables only.

It's not classed as a coach service - coach trips aren't allowed under current regs.
But it is classed as a special service.

Some GNE tickets are available. Some aren't.
It's not supposed to pick up passengers for local trips.
BSOG will be being claimed.

If it has a route, it has to follow it.

If stops in Billingham or Middlesbrough aren't attracting passengers on the outbound trip, it still needs to serve those places on the inbound.
If those locations aren't proving popular, then they need to do something about attracting passengers from them (such as allowing local journeys or looking at the ticketing arrangements), or omit them completely. In both directions. 

I was shot down for saying there were 'flaws' with the X11, but here we are, one week after launch - discussing some of its 'flaws'.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Apr 2021, 6:45 pm #393

(20 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm)cbma06 Don’t know how the ticketing works on the X11, just trying to get my head round it, if no passengers board the X11 at billingham to East Yorkshire for example , why would the bus serve billingham on the way back up north if there’s no passenger to alight from said bus stop, I understand it’s a commercial service , but if a passenger boards the X11 at billingham northbound etc... if it’s an adult passenger for example there would have to pay £15 to get on the bus, I think the X11 purpose going back up north is mostly a drop off service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crux of it is that it's a branded bus - which operates under a different brand name on website/timetables only.

It's not classed as a coach service - coach trips aren't allowed under current regs.
But it is classed as a special service.

Some GNE tickets are available. Some aren't.
It's not supposed to pick up passengers for local trips.
BSOG will be being claimed.

If it has a route, it has to follow it.

If stops in Billingham or Middlesbrough aren't attracting passengers on the outbound trip, it still needs to serve those places on the inbound.
If those locations aren't proving popular, then they need to do something about attracting passengers from them (such as allowing local journeys or looking at the ticketing arrangements), or omit them completely. In both directions. 

I was shot down for saying there were 'flaws' with the X11, but here we are, one week after launch - discussing some of its 'flaws'.

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 If those locations aren't proving popular, then they need to do something about attracting passengers from them (such as allowing local journeys or looking at the ticketing arrangements), or omit them completely. In both directions. 

Would such drastic measures take place on a normal bus service, after such a short period of time?

I'd like to think that a normal bus service would be given more than two days to offer passengers the opportunity to catch a bus from a stop, before it was omitted from the route!
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm #394

(20 Apr 2021, 6:45 pm)Andreos1 If those locations aren't proving popular, then they need to do something about attracting passengers from them (such as allowing local journeys or looking at the ticketing arrangements), or omit them completely. In both directions. 

Would such drastic measures take place on a normal bus service, after such a short period of time?

I'd like to think that a normal bus service would be given more than two days to offer passengers the opportunity to catch a bus from a stop, before it was omitted from the route!

20 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm)Dan I'll take the bit in bold as being directed at me (don't be shy in future, Storx!) but I'd hope the discussion and debate was intended to be more constructive than that, as that would be a little petty!

That actually wasn't a dig, couldn't remember who posted it just remembered it being discussed the other week. Ngl I'm not that actually bothered by it tbh, mistakes happen especially at the start of a service. If it happened again next weekend then it's a problem was more just the reply saying that it's not a problem and promoting it as normal.

Can remember the Arriva 57 when it first went to Jesmond back in 2010 or whenever it was with drivers getting lost and said bus drivers arguing that he didn't go the wrong way - probably not the best approach when someone wanted to get off on the part he skipped. Gladly those problems don't seem to happen nowadays especially on a route all the way down to Scarborough (no doubt the stand issues were that I guess).

Bit off topic but just curious if it's doable, when registering buses can you register them as Drop Off / Pick Up stops like trains do with the West Coast trains at Milton Keynes. Never seen anyone ever do it and just curious if you could.
Storx
20 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm #395

(20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm)Dan I'll take the bit in bold as being directed at me (don't be shy in future, Storx!) but I'd hope the discussion and debate was intended to be more constructive than that, as that would be a little petty!

That actually wasn't a dig, couldn't remember who posted it just remembered it being discussed the other week. Ngl I'm not that actually bothered by it tbh, mistakes happen especially at the start of a service. If it happened again next weekend then it's a problem was more just the reply saying that it's not a problem and promoting it as normal.

Can remember the Arriva 57 when it first went to Jesmond back in 2010 or whenever it was with drivers getting lost and said bus drivers arguing that he didn't go the wrong way - probably not the best approach when someone wanted to get off on the part he skipped. Gladly those problems don't seem to happen nowadays especially on a route all the way down to Scarborough (no doubt the stand issues were that I guess).

Bit off topic but just curious if it's doable, when registering buses can you register them as Drop Off / Pick Up stops like trains do with the West Coast trains at Milton Keynes. Never seen anyone ever do it and just curious if you could.

20 Apr 2021, 6:53 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm)Dan Would such drastic measures take place on a normal bus service, after such a short period of time? 

Of course not. Not sure anyone has suggested anything drastic in this case either. Huh

(20 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm)Storx That actually wasn't a dig, couldn't remember who posted it just remembered it being discussed the other week. Ngl I'm not that actually bothered by it tbh, mistakes happen especially at the start of a service. If it happened again next weekend then it's a problem was more just the reply saying that it's not a problem and promoting it as normal.

It used to happen quite a bit with the old limited stop expresses like the X5.
If I remember right, it served Wrekenton in one direction only and places like High West Street were drop down only.

Andreos1
20 Apr 2021, 6:53 pm #396

(20 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm)Dan Would such drastic measures take place on a normal bus service, after such a short period of time? 

Of course not. Not sure anyone has suggested anything drastic in this case either. Huh

(20 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm)Storx That actually wasn't a dig, couldn't remember who posted it just remembered it being discussed the other week. Ngl I'm not that actually bothered by it tbh, mistakes happen especially at the start of a service. If it happened again next weekend then it's a problem was more just the reply saying that it's not a problem and promoting it as normal.

It used to happen quite a bit with the old limited stop expresses like the X5.
If I remember right, it served Wrekenton in one direction only and places like High West Street were drop down only.

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 7:01 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 6:53 pm)Andreos1 Of course not. Not sure anyone has suggested anything drastic in this case either. Huh

I'd suggest deciding to omit two stops because nobody used them on one day is pretty drastic.

Passengers were picked up from Middlesbrough both northbound (as a local journey, because it was early as someone has mentioned already) and southbound, on Saturday, but hey... Let's omit those stops because they weren't used on Sunday! Not drastic at all?  Confused
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 7:01 pm #397

(20 Apr 2021, 6:53 pm)Andreos1 Of course not. Not sure anyone has suggested anything drastic in this case either. Huh

I'd suggest deciding to omit two stops because nobody used them on one day is pretty drastic.

Passengers were picked up from Middlesbrough both northbound (as a local journey, because it was early as someone has mentioned already) and southbound, on Saturday, but hey... Let's omit those stops because they weren't used on Sunday! Not drastic at all?  Confused

20 Apr 2021, 7:08 pm

That isn't how a registered bus service works. I don't think people are "picking it to bits", they're simply baffled that a route, operated by a company who are usually pretty spot on with operational difficulties (i.e Twitter alerts for breakdowns), was allowed to miss out sections of the route for two days on the bounce as well as run ridiculously early.
mb134
20 Apr 2021, 7:08 pm #398

That isn't how a registered bus service works. I don't think people are "picking it to bits", they're simply baffled that a route, operated by a company who are usually pretty spot on with operational difficulties (i.e Twitter alerts for breakdowns), was allowed to miss out sections of the route for two days on the bounce as well as run ridiculously early.

Dan
Site Administrator
20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 7:08 pm)mb134 That isn't how a registered bus service works. I don't think people are "picking it to bits", they're simply baffled that a route, operated by a company who are usually pretty spot on with operational difficulties (i.e Twitter alerts for breakdowns), was allowed to miss out sections of the route for two days on the bounce as well as run ridiculously early.

Hasn't this already been explained (and seemingly ignored) though?  Huh

Whilst it isn't being justified nor excused, I don't think it's baffling at all. It's been some confusion on the first weekend of operation and a driver trying to do right by his passengers, under the assumption (wrongly) that it could be treated like a coach service with drop-off points only on the return trip, when this isn't the case. It was seemingly picked up on by Go North East's Service Delivery Centre (as we can see the driver waited time at Peterlee on Sunday) and we can assume it won't happen again this weekend. If it does, then it's a different discussion we'll be having.

I think it's very unlikely any passengers were actually inconvenienced, but, as Storx has pointed out already, this discussion is only taking place because there has been discussion elsewhere on the forum about similar things happening on routes (serving a completely different purpose) operated by other bus companies, and the tracking information is open for all us enthusiasts to see online because Go North East meet the BODS requirements for tracking data.
Dan
20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm #399

(20 Apr 2021, 7:08 pm)mb134 That isn't how a registered bus service works. I don't think people are "picking it to bits", they're simply baffled that a route, operated by a company who are usually pretty spot on with operational difficulties (i.e Twitter alerts for breakdowns), was allowed to miss out sections of the route for two days on the bounce as well as run ridiculously early.

Hasn't this already been explained (and seemingly ignored) though?  Huh

Whilst it isn't being justified nor excused, I don't think it's baffling at all. It's been some confusion on the first weekend of operation and a driver trying to do right by his passengers, under the assumption (wrongly) that it could be treated like a coach service with drop-off points only on the return trip, when this isn't the case. It was seemingly picked up on by Go North East's Service Delivery Centre (as we can see the driver waited time at Peterlee on Sunday) and we can assume it won't happen again this weekend. If it does, then it's a different discussion we'll be having.

I think it's very unlikely any passengers were actually inconvenienced, but, as Storx has pointed out already, this discussion is only taking place because there has been discussion elsewhere on the forum about similar things happening on routes (serving a completely different purpose) operated by other bus companies, and the tracking information is open for all us enthusiasts to see online because Go North East meet the BODS requirements for tracking data.

20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm
(20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm)Dan There are clear differences between the two, in my eyes, as I indicated this morning. In this example, the driver has intended to do something which is right by the passengers on his bus (given the very unique nature of the route), not realising the wider implications given it's a registered bus service. In the example of Gateshead Central Taxis, you could possibly argue the same that the driver is getting workers back home early, but it's more likely that this is being done for personal gain (to 'knock off' early!)

While the intentions of the driver were probably for the best of the passengers, I simply don't quite see how he's decided that he isn't meant to follow the timetable/route given that I'd assume he has a running board and has followed the route/timings to the letter southbound. 

Just to be clear, while my GCT remark in an earlier post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I'd still expect better route/timetable adherence from GNE given it wasn't a one off. Additionally, I've made it clear in the past that it baffles me how their cowboy operation continues to be awarded contracts ahead of other independents and/or GNE/ANE/SNE - in my eyes their complete lack of transparency in terms of service data is beyond a joke.

(20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm)Dan Hasn't this already been explained (and seemingly ignored) though?  Huh

I've seen the explanation for the bus waiting time on Sunday at Peterlee, as well as the reassurance that this coming weekend should be without problem - I've not seen any explanation as to how it was completely missed on Saturday and allowed to happen again on Sunday.

At risk of this becoming a "why no Billingham" "this weekend Billingham" cycle for the next few days, it's probably best to acknowledge at this point that someone made a boo-boo and it'll all be fine from Saturday.
mb134
20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm #400

(20 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm)Dan There are clear differences between the two, in my eyes, as I indicated this morning. In this example, the driver has intended to do something which is right by the passengers on his bus (given the very unique nature of the route), not realising the wider implications given it's a registered bus service. In the example of Gateshead Central Taxis, you could possibly argue the same that the driver is getting workers back home early, but it's more likely that this is being done for personal gain (to 'knock off' early!)

While the intentions of the driver were probably for the best of the passengers, I simply don't quite see how he's decided that he isn't meant to follow the timetable/route given that I'd assume he has a running board and has followed the route/timings to the letter southbound. 

Just to be clear, while my GCT remark in an earlier post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I'd still expect better route/timetable adherence from GNE given it wasn't a one off. Additionally, I've made it clear in the past that it baffles me how their cowboy operation continues to be awarded contracts ahead of other independents and/or GNE/ANE/SNE - in my eyes their complete lack of transparency in terms of service data is beyond a joke.

(20 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm)Dan Hasn't this already been explained (and seemingly ignored) though?  Huh

I've seen the explanation for the bus waiting time on Sunday at Peterlee, as well as the reassurance that this coming weekend should be without problem - I've not seen any explanation as to how it was completely missed on Saturday and allowed to happen again on Sunday.

At risk of this becoming a "why no Billingham" "this weekend Billingham" cycle for the next few days, it's probably best to acknowledge at this point that someone made a boo-boo and it'll all be fine from Saturday.

Pages (28): Previous 119 20 2128 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average