Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes

Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes

Go North East : Upcoming Service Changes

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (26): Previous 114 15 1626 Next
09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm
They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Picktree isn’t listed so they could demolish it and sell the land or reconfigure it accordingly (probably at greater cost)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm #281

They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Picktree isn’t listed so they could demolish it and sell the land or reconfigure it accordingly (probably at greater cost)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am
(09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm)Ambassador They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am #282

(09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm)Ambassador They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

10 Mar 2022, 8:20 am
(10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am)cbma06 Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

Aside from the partnership which offers discounted admission and a regular bus service, I believe GNE provided some funding/sponsorship towards the new depot used to house and maintain the small fleet of buses stationed at the museum.

Whilst the depot isn't large, it is quite modern and, to be honest, looks quite out of place with its gleaming red-brick appearance. Needs to be more grotty to give it a genuine historical feel, in my opinion.
MurdnunoC
10 Mar 2022, 8:20 am #283

(10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am)cbma06 Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

Aside from the partnership which offers discounted admission and a regular bus service, I believe GNE provided some funding/sponsorship towards the new depot used to house and maintain the small fleet of buses stationed at the museum.

Whilst the depot isn't large, it is quite modern and, to be honest, looks quite out of place with its gleaming red-brick appearance. Needs to be more grotty to give it a genuine historical feel, in my opinion.

10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am
It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

To me, there doesn't seem to be any architectural significance, it just looks like a generic early 20th century industrial building, and not a particularly well kept example at that!

Was the depot the first to do anything? Does it have any truly unique features inside?

It seems like, to me at least, there's no real reason to keep it, other than the fact that GNE have been there a while.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am #284

It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

To me, there doesn't seem to be any architectural significance, it just looks like a generic early 20th century industrial building, and not a particularly well kept example at that!

Was the depot the first to do anything? Does it have any truly unique features inside?

It seems like, to me at least, there's no real reason to keep it, other than the fact that GNE have been there a while.

10 Mar 2022, 9:13 am
(10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am)streetdeckfan It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

Sadly, for some on here, that will be reason enough.

But, like yourself, the building does nothing for me. It's certainly not a shining example of Edwardian architecture worthy of saving.
MurdnunoC
10 Mar 2022, 9:13 am #285

(10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am)streetdeckfan It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

Sadly, for some on here, that will be reason enough.

But, like yourself, the building does nothing for me. It's certainly not a shining example of Edwardian architecture worthy of saving.

10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm
.jpg
20220310_132710.jpg
Size: 3.71 MB / Downloads: 24

.jpg
20220310_132803.jpg
Size: 4.22 MB / Downloads: 27

I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.
MurdnunoC
10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm #286

.jpg
20220310_132710.jpg
Size: 3.71 MB / Downloads: 24

.jpg
20220310_132803.jpg
Size: 4.22 MB / Downloads: 27

I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.

10 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm
(10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm)MurdnunoC I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.

It would probably get sold to housing developer, good prime site and northern would get more money selling the site to housing developers.

Unless a care home gets built for the GNE management when reaching retirement age (Dan get ya name down quickly )

cbma06
10 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm #287

(10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm)MurdnunoC I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.

It would probably get sold to housing developer, good prime site and northern would get more money selling the site to housing developers.

Unless a care home gets built for the GNE management when reaching retirement age (Dan get ya name down quickly )

10 Mar 2022, 5:29 pm
Think only the offices at the front are original. The rest of the depot looks like it has been rebuilt over the 60s and 70s.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
10 Mar 2022, 5:29 pm #288

Think only the offices at the front are original. The rest of the depot looks like it has been rebuilt over the 60s and 70s.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am
PB0003954/854
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 86D (86D) TOFT HILL, SPORTSMANS ARMS BISHOP AUCKLAND BUS STATION
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

Any idea when this will happen, VOSA has missed half of the info off.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am #289

PB0003954/854
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 86D (86D) TOFT HILL, SPORTSMANS ARMS BISHOP AUCKLAND BUS STATION
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am
(11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am)Michael PB0003954/854
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).
Jimmi
11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am #290

(11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am)Michael PB0003954/854
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).

11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am)Jimmi I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).
Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?
Omega54
11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am #291

(11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am)Jimmi I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).
Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?

11 Mar 2022, 10:20 am

Ah right, thanks for the information Jimmi

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Mar 2022, 10:20 am #292

Ah right, thanks for the information Jimmi

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

11 Mar 2022, 10:23 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am)Omega54 Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?
I have a feeling that's what's going to happen, either a direct replacement or revisions to existing services in the area.
Jimmi
11 Mar 2022, 10:23 am #293

(11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am)Omega54 Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?
I have a feeling that's what's going to happen, either a direct replacement or revisions to existing services in the area.

11 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm
Durham are expected to re-tender the whole service.
RobinHood
11 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm #294

Durham are expected to re-tender the whole service.

11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm
Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

A vital piece of information you all missed

CLS houses National Express division of GNE

Reflecting on the thoughts

Merging Washington and CLS would be the better theory but with modern depots these days it is outdoor depots rather than indoors

Sites like Follingsby Park for road connections onto A195 to Washington A194 to A1 to CLS junction seems quite a plausible suggestion

National Holidays had a depot in washington before they went bust but rebranded

If not Follingsby as a location Drum Industrial Estate A693 straight onto A1

Personally that a little more difficult to navigate to get to Washington really

Modern technology these days and timetable planning when mentioned about Seaham and Peterlee services can be quite clever if you change the method so it doesn't run empty or light run a service back so it's closer to a depot

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National Express more than likely will stay with GNE
DaveFromUpNorth
11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm #295

Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

Merging Washington and CLS would be the better theory but with modern depots these days it is outdoor depots rather than indoors

Sites like Follingsby Park for road connections onto A195 to Washington A194 to A1 to CLS junction seems quite a plausible suggestion

Modern technology these days and timetable planning when mentioned about Seaham and Peterlee services can be quite clever if you change the method so it doesn't run empty or light run a service back so it's closer to a depot

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National Express more than likely will stay with GNE

12 Mar 2022, 8:37 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost  if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals  and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National  Express more than likely will stay with GNE

Drum would be a much better place than Follingsby which is miles away from every route.

If it was based at Drum drivers would never go anywhere near Washington a the start/end of the day as you could do the Washington routes it in the following places

50 - CLS
82 - Barley Mow
84/85 - Rickleton
4/X1 - Shiney Row / Bournmoor

Follingsby is awkward for all the CLS routes imo.
Storx
12 Mar 2022, 8:37 am #296

(11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost  if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals  and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National  Express more than likely will stay with GNE

Drum would be a much better place than Follingsby which is miles away from every route.

If it was based at Drum drivers would never go anywhere near Washington a the start/end of the day as you could do the Washington routes it in the following places

50 - CLS
82 - Barley Mow
84/85 - Rickleton
4/X1 - Shiney Row / Bournmoor

Follingsby is awkward for all the CLS routes imo.

12 Mar 2022, 9:58 am

I don't think the NX operation at Chester-le-Street is as vital as you're assuming it is.

National Express are still running a reduced network, and to be honest, the likelihood of that recovering to pre-pandemic levels is slim to none. As with most things, NX are extremely slow to react and change, and whilst they've been napping, there's now increased competition with the rise of FlixBus in the UK and Lumo on the East Coast. On the latter, looking at fares, and I can get to London by train for as little as £3.10 more than the NX fare. 

Even if it was a hugely popular and growth area, there's nothing stopping them lifting and shifting it to operate out of another base.

Land at Follingsby is likely to be at a premium now that the Amazon sites are up and running. The only brownfield site left there is the former rail freight depot, which is likely to be earmarked for a new Metro station plus Park & Ride site.

The National Holidays depot you mention (which was on Stephenson Road) was little more than a small enclosed car park, which I think even if it was available, would be unsuitable. There is however the brownfield site next to it (formerly the Northumbria Centre), which has been vacant for 7+ years.

I think you're right about taking into account special deals though, and imo that'll be the problem with anywhere in Washington. Sunderland City Council are pulling out all the stops to get people into the development sites in and around the City Centre, so there's always the risk Washington becomes the afterthought.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Mar 2022, 9:58 am #297

I don't think the NX operation at Chester-le-Street is as vital as you're assuming it is.

National Express are still running a reduced network, and to be honest, the likelihood of that recovering to pre-pandemic levels is slim to none. As with most things, NX are extremely slow to react and change, and whilst they've been napping, there's now increased competition with the rise of FlixBus in the UK and Lumo on the East Coast. On the latter, looking at fares, and I can get to London by train for as little as £3.10 more than the NX fare. 

Even if it was a hugely popular and growth area, there's nothing stopping them lifting and shifting it to operate out of another base.

Land at Follingsby is likely to be at a premium now that the Amazon sites are up and running. The only brownfield site left there is the former rail freight depot, which is likely to be earmarked for a new Metro station plus Park & Ride site.

The National Holidays depot you mention (which was on Stephenson Road) was little more than a small enclosed car park, which I think even if it was available, would be unsuitable. There is however the brownfield site next to it (formerly the Northumbria Centre), which has been vacant for 7+ years.

I think you're right about taking into account special deals though, and imo that'll be the problem with anywhere in Washington. Sunderland City Council are pulling out all the stops to get people into the development sites in and around the City Centre, so there's always the risk Washington becomes the afterthought.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

12 Mar 2022, 10:11 am

Given the current finances of the bus industry, I can't see any operator investing in new build depots unless there is a very big financial saving from closing existing sites.

GNE, in particular, have significantly reduced services, and lost contracts, since the end of 2019 reducing the number of vehicles required so must have spare depot capacity. 
The 16th February 2020 fleet allocation showed the fleet stood at 705 vehicles, less 37 out of service/driver training/disposal, leaving 668 as the buses available to cover the services. 
The latest fleet allocation on the website (19th December 2021) has the fleet standing at 648 vehicles, less 76 out of service/training/disposal leaving 572 as the buses available to cover service. That's 96 fewer vehicles (14.4% reduction) and the North Tyneside reductions have still to come!

If you are building a new depot to accommodate electric vehicles, I suspect that it needs to be close to the routes that will use electric buses so as to avoid excessive dead mileage.

.jpg
GNE fleet comparison.jpg
Size: 54.48 KB / Downloads: 23
busmanT
12 Mar 2022, 10:11 am #298

Given the current finances of the bus industry, I can't see any operator investing in new build depots unless there is a very big financial saving from closing existing sites.

GNE, in particular, have significantly reduced services, and lost contracts, since the end of 2019 reducing the number of vehicles required so must have spare depot capacity. 
The 16th February 2020 fleet allocation showed the fleet stood at 705 vehicles, less 37 out of service/driver training/disposal, leaving 668 as the buses available to cover the services. 
The latest fleet allocation on the website (19th December 2021) has the fleet standing at 648 vehicles, less 76 out of service/training/disposal leaving 572 as the buses available to cover service. That's 96 fewer vehicles (14.4% reduction) and the North Tyneside reductions have still to come!

If you are building a new depot to accommodate electric vehicles, I suspect that it needs to be close to the routes that will use electric buses so as to avoid excessive dead mileage.

.jpg
GNE fleet comparison.jpg
Size: 54.48 KB / Downloads: 23

12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm
What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

It would mean you'd have 3 Major Depots in the Region with Hexham/Saltmeadows as they are, I think what operators also need to take into account with Park & Rides being set up such as the one at "The Angel" I am sure I read within the document for strategy moving forward was for such services to use Articulated Buses that there is sufficient space for these to be kept, then you have the likes of Go North East investing in Electric Buses moving forward so with that has to come with investment in new depot infrastructure.
Malarkey
12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm #299

What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

It would mean you'd have 3 Major Depots in the Region with Hexham/Saltmeadows as they are, I think what operators also need to take into account with Park & Rides being set up such as the one at "The Angel" I am sure I read within the document for strategy moving forward was for such services to use Articulated Buses that there is sufficient space for these to be kept, then you have the likes of Go North East investing in Electric Buses moving forward so with that has to come with investment in new depot infrastructure.

12 Mar 2022, 4:53 pm
(12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm)Malarkey What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

For the washington thing, It would be best on Wessington Way, so they have access to the 1231 and A19.However it goes to the Staff Shuttle's for Sunderland would be a massive pain around rush hour. But I don't know how many drivers start at 5pm.

Not sure about the morning rush hour. Also for Artic Buses, there's no service where they could be used except to my knowledge the 56/58/X66.
Omega54
12 Mar 2022, 4:53 pm #300

(12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm)Malarkey What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

For the washington thing, It would be best on Wessington Way, so they have access to the 1231 and A19.However it goes to the Staff Shuttle's for Sunderland would be a massive pain around rush hour. But I don't know how many drivers start at 5pm.

Not sure about the morning rush hour. Also for Artic Buses, there's no service where they could be used except to my knowledge the 56/58/X66.

Pages (26): Previous 114 15 1626 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 14
Views 4776
13 Dec 2023, 12:08 am
Last Post by lloyd647
Replies 2158
Views 915812
27 Jul 2021, 8:44 am
Last Post by streetdeckfan