Menu

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4   
Rapidsnap   06 Apr 2022, 10:08 am
Just drove past the bus link mentioned in the thread title and it looks complete now. Traffic lights are now active for it, still coned off for buses. But hopefully sees use soon after taking how my years to build it.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
ne14ne1   06 Apr 2022, 12:18 pm
For pics see link below (from 2nd post down):

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/r...1/page-200
Rob44   06 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm
when it said " gate " i expected something that will stop unauthorised vehicles going down it but i can see anything from the pictures? Thanks for the link though very interesting
ne14ne1   06 Apr 2022, 2:16 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm)Rob44 wrote when it said " gate " i expected something that will stop unauthorised vehicles going down it but i can see anything from the pictures?  Thanks for the link though very interesting

No it’s just a term used, there’s no physical gate.
Im sure the High Level Bridge and bus only stretch of John Dobson Street are referred to as Bus Gates too for example.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   06 Apr 2022, 2:22 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm)Rob44 wrote when it said " gate " i expected something that will stop unauthorised vehicles going down it but i can see anything from the pictures?  Thanks for the link though very interesting
Physical objects and barriers can break and cost money.

Cameras can make money. 

I'd hazard a guess the shares in Gateshead Councils white paint suppliers will be divested in to shares in Gateshead Councils traffic camera suppliers.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Rob44   06 Apr 2022, 2:55 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 2:16 pm)ne14ne1 wrote No it’s just a term used, there’s no physical gate.
Im sure the High Level Bridge and bus only stretch of John Dobson Street are referred to as Bus Gates too for example.

ah right. I thought it was just written as " bus lane " in the areas you mention... maybe its a gateshead thing!

(06 Apr 2022, 2:22 pm)Andreos1 wrote Physical objects and barriers can break and cost money.

Cameras can make money. 

I'd hazard a guess the shares in Gateshead Councils white paint suppliers will be divested in to shares in Gateshead Councils traffic camera suppliers.

Good point.  Maybe if enough car driver fail to see the signs and end up with a fine gateshead council can reduce my council tax bill
ne14ne1   06 Apr 2022, 3:21 pm
Money from bus lane fines is pumped back into traffic infrastructure, enforcement etc as far as I’m aware, so win win.
It’s basically a stupidity tax to help fund other projects. Big Grin

They need to get a bus lane camera on the Centrelink too. The number of entitled rat runners on there is increasing.
F114TML   06 Apr 2022, 3:43 pm
I think I'm getting a bit confused, or rather lost my barings - am i correct in thinking the green lines I've drawn on are the new bus gate (I've been wondering what they've been doing there)?

[Image: unknown.png]

If so, what's the traffic lights for? Have they created new sliproads on the A167?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   06 Apr 2022, 3:47 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 3:43 pm)F114TML wrote I think I'm getting a bit confused, or rather lost my barings - am i correct in thinking the green lines I've drawn on are the new bus gate (I've been wondering what they've been doing there)?

If so, what's the traffic lights for? Have they created new sliproads on the A167?
Yeah. That's it. They've basically undone the work done in the 60s when that was the original Sunderland Road.
No slip roads - its a link between Gateshead High St and Sunderland Road.
The traffic lights are underneath the flyover and is to stop traffic when buses cross the main flow of traffic.

The project ticks so many Gateshead Council boxes.
* Traffic lights.
* White paint thrown around with wild abandon
* Potential for traffic cameras and an income from fines.

Rob44   06 Apr 2022, 3:48 pm
busses travel along gateshead high street turn left into the bus gate as the ?? blue bell pub go under the 167 flyover and cross the underneath and head towards where the old GNE garage was and the new lidi is and join Sunderland road. Can see your pic so sorry if this is just saying what you've posted!!
streetdeckfan   06 Apr 2022, 3:51 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 3:43 pm)F114TML wrote I think I'm getting a bit confused, or rather lost my barings - am i correct in thinking the green lines I've drawn on are the new bus gate (I've been wondering what they've been doing there)?

Don't forget the A167 is double height in that area, so it only crosses the lower section
Andreos1   06 Apr 2022, 4:16 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 3:48 pm)Rob44 wrote busses travel along gateshead high street turn left into the bus gate as the ?? blue bell pub go under the 167 flyover and cross the underneath and head towards where the old GNE garage was and the new lidi is and join Sunderland road.  Can see your pic so sorry if this is just saying what you've posted!!
Yeah, that's it essentially. Opposite in reverse. 

Not sure if it's limited to the 27, 51 and 52 or if they're gonna send the X10 that way too (potential for it getting stuck on Jackson St).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rob44   06 Apr 2022, 4:40 pm
the 51 and 52 use old Durham road don't they?
N1cholas   06 Apr 2022, 4:49 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, that's it essentially. Opposite in reverse. 

Not sure if it's limited to the 27, 51 and 52 or if they're gonna send the X10 that way too (potential for it getting stuck on Jackson St).
It is only the 27 and X10 that use sunderland road, maybe stagecoach will have the X24 and X34 use sunderland road from heworth instead of the felling bypass
busmanT   06 Apr 2022, 5:06 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 4:49 pm)N1cholas wrote It is only the 27 and X10 that use sunderland road, maybe stagecoach will have the X24 and X34 use sunderland road from heworth instead of the felling bypass

Stagecoach registered their services to use the Bus Gate from last October! (peak only if I remember correctly).
Andreos1   06 Apr 2022, 5:06 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 4:40 pm)Rob44 wrote the 51 and 52 use old Durham road don't they?
Ah you're right.
Stuck in a time warp from when they used to go that way.

(06 Apr 2022, 4:49 pm)N1cholas wrote It is only the 27 and X10 that use sunderland road, maybe stagecoach will have the X24 and X34 use sunderland road from heworth instead of the felling bypass
It's a lot of work. For not a lot of buses.
I was thinking that before my mix up with the 51/52.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stagecoachbusdepot   06 Apr 2022, 5:11 pm

And what a view will await passengers arriving through the new Bus Gate

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9594643,...384!8i8192

Welcome to Gateshead!
Adrian   06 Apr 2022, 6:41 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 2:22 pm)Andreos1 wrote Physical objects and barriers can break and cost money.

Cameras can make money. 

Cameras would earn their keep almost instantly.

Either that or get an enthusiast to stand there with a GoPro, then send the footage to Northumbria's finest.  Big Grin

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
ne14ne1   06 Apr 2022, 6:52 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 5:11 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote And what a view will await passengers arriving through the new Bus Gate

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9594643,...384!8i8192

Welcome to Gateshead!

Incorrect. That blocks all gone ready for redevelopment.

See: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/g...-178002604
Adrian   06 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 6:52 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Incorrect. That blocks all gone ready for redevelopment.

See: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/g...-178002604

Any idea what the state of play is on the High Street these days? Is it on the most-part unoccupied?

I think I read that Gateshead Council were offering settlements to freehold and leaseholders to buy up the property, but unsure how far that went.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
deanmachine   06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm)Adrian wrote Any idea what the state of play is on the High Street these days? Is it on the most-part unoccupied?

I think I read that Gateshead Council were offering settlements to freehold and leaseholders to buy up the property, but unsure how far that went.

They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.
Adrian   06 Apr 2022, 8:48 pm
(06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm)deanmachine wrote They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.

It's that side that I was more referring to - between the Blue Bell pub and the old Park Lane. Last time I passed down there on the bus, it looked like most of the buildings were still standing, but vast majority looked empty.

I think the Blue Bell was retained on the regeneration plans for the High Street, but I think the rest of that row was scheduled for demolition.

omnicity4659   07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am
(06 Apr 2022, 3:21 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Money from bus lane fines is pumped back into traffic infrastructure, enforcement etc as far as I’m aware, so win win.
It’s basically a stupidity tax to help fund other projects. Big Grin

They need to get a bus lane camera on the Centrelink too. The number of entitled rat runners on there is increasing.

Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

It should have been opened to all when the Askew Road was mutilated.
ne14ne1   07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am
(07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am)omnicity4659 wrote Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

It should have been opened to all when the Askew Road was mutilated.

Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Once all the apartments at Brett Wharf are built I think it would be good to permanently divert all number 6 services along there for example (both in and outbound), rather than just a couple of morning inbound (10?) services. That way Brett Wharf and the likes of the Copthorne have a decent service up towards Central Station & the city centre, as well as back, plus to Metrocentre & beyond.

I certainly don’t think Centrelink should be opened to all traffic. We don’t want traffic funnelled along the riverside and onto the Swing Bridge & Quaysides.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am
(07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am)ne14ne1 wrote Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Once all the apartments at Brett Wharf are built I think it would be good to permanently divert all number 6 services along there for example (both in and outbound), rather than just a couple of morning inbound (10?) services. That way Brett Wharf and the likes of the Copthorne have a decent service up towards Central Station & the city centre, as well as back, plus to Metrocentre & beyond.

I certainly don’t think Centrelink should be opened to all traffic. We don’t want traffic funnelled along the riverside and onto the Swing Bridge & Quaysides.

Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.
omnicity4659   07 Apr 2022, 9:26 am
I'm not sure if the construction work affects Rabbit Banks Road, I've seen council gritters and buses running up there despite the "closure".

I don't think there is a need for a busway for a service running in one direction only every 10 minutes from a shopping centre in decline. GNE have already demonstrated that they can do without the Centrelink, too. If the council redid the Bottle Bank slip road to allow traffic to make a wide turn and merge onto the Tyne Bridge, then the Centrelink would be useful and it wouldn't clog up the Quays, Sage or Swing Bridge. Not funnelling all traffic through Gateshead would ease congestion and is less likely to disrupt buses.
ne14ne1   07 Apr 2022, 9:39 am
(07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am)Storx wrote Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.

Or some 10s or 47s. Something.
Adrian   07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am
(07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am)ne14ne1 wrote Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

I don't think they will. The flow has gone for east-bound journeys, now that West St is closed to buses. There's now more sets of lights and congestion to go through if using Centrelink than there is entering from Askew Road. A similar problem exists west bound, with Hills St being closed and thus the dedicated bus entry down Bottle Bank.

Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ne14ne1   07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am
(07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am)Adrian wrote Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

Or thinking about it another way, the traffic management changes set out to specifically reduce traffic around Askew Road east & the junction with the Tyne Bridge approach, (plus improvements for pedestrian & cycling movement), have worked so well that the buses no longer need to use the Centrelink up Rabbit Banks Rd anymore as they can use the main highway now thanks only to the reduction in general traffic.

The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.
Maybe a topic for another thread.
Ambassador   07 Apr 2022, 10:45 am
(07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am)ne14ne1 wrote The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.
Maybe a topic for another thread.

There's only 2 real viable options.

Divert over Redheugh (which is already heavily congested) and a potential bus lane along Askew Road towards Gateshead.

Restore the Wellington Street bus link and send traffic over the Tyne Bridge.

Gateshead have made such an utter pigs ear of their road network that its probably going to take a total remodel. They are by far the most wasteful and incompetent of the local authorities - they love a good white elephant (Centrelink, the entire town centre, the bus gate and the Angel Park and Ride)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Pages (4) 1 2 3 4