Menu

Pages (18)    115 16 17 18   
deanmachine   03 Sep 2022, 8:34 am
(02 Sep 2022, 11:28 am)R852 PRG wrote Last bus out of the depot for service this morning was 6179 on the S2 duty.
 The last buses were the two N21s last night.
R852 PRG   03 Sep 2022, 9:43 am
(03 Sep 2022, 8:34 am)deanmachine wrote  The last buses were the two N21s last night.

I said "this morning".
NL62WVW   03 Sep 2022, 9:48 am
(03 Sep 2022, 8:34 am)deanmachine wrote  The last buses were the two N21s last night.

6328 & 6324

.mp4
Last 21.mp4 (Size 9.37 MB Downloads 17)

Views and Opinions are my own
Jimmi   03 Sep 2022, 11:20 am
(03 Sep 2022, 7:16 am)Storx wrote Surprised no-one mentioned that the depot shut last night, I don't personally have any connection to it as I don't really use their routes or live by but it seems people just forgot on here.

My Facebook feed is full of it so certainly hasn't been forgotten about.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   03 Sep 2022, 12:13 pm
(03 Sep 2022, 11:20 am)Jimmi wrote My Facebook feed is full of it so certainly hasn't been forgotten about.

Must admit I don't follow anything on Facebook so missed everything on there, not really my cup of tea.
Unber43   05 Sep 2022, 10:07 am
Chester-Le-Street Depot still have vehicles such as Xlines X20 Citaros, Graphite 39/39a/39b
Rapidsnap   05 Sep 2022, 10:26 am
No doubt the depot is being used for storage until the building is sold.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Adrian   05 Sep 2022, 11:07 am
(05 Sep 2022, 10:26 am)Rapidsnap wrote No doubt the depot is being used for storage until the building is sold.

And it'd likely have to have some form of paid security too I'd imagine, because it'll be a target to urban explorers before it's demolished.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
GuyParkRoyal   28 Sep 2022, 7:59 am
(28 Aug 2022, 1:47 pm)itsadam wrote Does anyone know if the office in Chester for drivers will close too? It's handy for drivers imo and it'll be a shame if that goes too
A property agents to let sign has now gone up on the old travel centre / drivers rest room.
GuyParkRoyal   27 Jan 2023, 12:06 pm
Former Chester le Street depot is for sale with George F White acting as the property agent, details below.

Former Bus Depot, Picktree Lane, Chester le Street, County Durham, DH3 3SW
The vendor intends to sell a cleared site with vacant possession.

Currently, the site comprises a large bus depot with offices constructed between the 1900s and 1950s.

Vehicular access is from four entrances at the front; one of which extends through a covered canopy area. There is also access between the two office blocks at the front into the warehouse and there are also two access doors into the front yard.

Tenure: Freehold
Footage: 2.1 acres
Price: OIE of £1,950,000
Ambassador   27 Jan 2023, 3:45 pm
Promotional video (which is just an overhead drone shot) is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTFRBPhDFF0

Wonder when demolition work will begin?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
streetdeckfan   27 Jan 2023, 4:45 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 3:45 pm)Ambassador wrote Promotional video (which is just an overhead drone shot) is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTFRBPhDFF0

Wonder when demolition work will begin?

Controversial opinion incoming...

Hopefully soon, it's a bloody eyesore, especially coming down the A167!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   27 Jan 2023, 5:06 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 4:45 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Controversial opinion incoming...

Hopefully soon, it's a bloody eyesore, especially coming down the A167!

It depends what they replace it with, doesn't it? Hopefully it's something that Chester-le-Street need, because they're not exactly short of unused retail space in town.

Ambassador   27 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm
Not sure its the right layout for housing but new builds aren't exactly spacious.

Decent bet on a nice little care home or over 60s living

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Adrian   27 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm)Ambassador wrote Not sure its the right layout for housing but new builds aren't exactly spacious.

Yeah, I was thinking a housing development, but I wonder if there'd be concerns raised with safe access to and from the development.

streetdeckfan   27 Jan 2023, 6:07 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 5:06 pm)Adrian wrote It depends what they replace it with, doesn't it? Hopefully it's something that Chester-le-Street need, because they're not exactly short of unused retail space in town.

I reckon Lidl might be interested, they're after land in CLS for a new store (last time I checked anyway)
Not sure whether the proximity to Aldi might be an issue!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
LVK 404L   27 Jan 2023, 7:22 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 6:07 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I reckon Lidl might be interested, they're after land in CLS for a new store (last time I checked anyway)
Lidl and Aldi adjacent to each other at Pelaw.

Car parks in touching distance of each other.
minibus1474   27 Jan 2023, 7:35 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm)Ambassador wrote Not sure its the right layout for housing but new builds aren't exactly spacious.

A hotel perhaps, especially with Riverside Stadium hosting regular international cricket and concerts
BusLoverMum   27 Jan 2023, 7:38 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 6:07 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I reckon Lidl might be interested, they're after land in CLS for a new store (last time I checked anyway)
Haha. They're building stores right next to each other, everywhere. Lidl built next to Aldi at dragon ville, a few years ago and now Aldi have built close to Lidl in Pity Me. We passed through crook, ecently, and noticed that Aldi had built next to Lidl there, too. 

My money is on apartments, though. It's not the deepest site.
NEbushopper   27 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 7:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Haha. They're building stores right next to each other, everywhere. Lidl built next to Aldi at dragon ville, a few years ago and now Aldi have built close to Lidl in Pity Me. We passed through crook, ecently, and noticed that Aldi had built next to Lidl there, too. 

My money is on apartments, though. It's not the deepest site.

There is a Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl next to each other at Bedlington.

My bet is on more houses, but the site isn't really that big. We will have to wait and see
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
wibblejunior   27 Jan 2023, 9:01 pm
There's also an Aldi and Lidl store (plus an Iceland) next to each other on Yarm Road in Darlington.

South Shields, Spennymoor and Wrekenton also have Aldi and Lidl stores close to each other. Peterlee used to as well, before the Aldi stored there was relocated to Horden.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
streetdeckfan   27 Jan 2023, 9:03 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm)NEbushopper wrote There is a Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl next to each other at Bedlington.

My bet is on more houses, but the site isn't really that big. We will have to wait and see

We have Lidl, Tesco and Sainsburys (and M&S food if you swing that way) right next to each other at Tindale. Aldi is a trek down the road though, but Aldi's food is crap compared to Lidl anyway. Plus, Aldi stores are always manky, I've never been into an Aldi with a clean floor!
Storx   27 Jan 2023, 9:25 pm

Can't see a Lidl personally the land looks too small for their newer stores. If anything I have a feeling it might be fast food units, the area is lacking in anything and it's right next to the A167 / A693 / A1(M). The nearest McDonalds etc are all miles away and there's nothing Houghton way either and the one at the Arnison centre is a nightmare for anyone heading towards Durham.
Washingtonian   31 Jan 2023, 1:26 pm
(27 Jan 2023, 9:25 pm)Storx wrote Can't see a Lidl personally the land looks too small for their newer stores. If anything I have a feeling it might be fast food units, the area is lacking in anything and it's right next to the A167 / A693 / A1(M). The nearest McDonalds etc are all miles away and there's nothing Houghton way either and the one at the Arnison centre is a nightmare for anyone heading towards Durham.

I think Lidl could easily build a store on the site of the former Chester le Street Depot. There are plans in place for them to build a Lidl store for the old depot in Stanley which is a smaller site (not sure if approved mind). Plus there is the cleared site of the former fuel shop next door between the Chester depot and the BP garage that could be used . I know Lidl want a store in C-L-S and realistically that is probably the biggest and best site they could hope for at the moment.

On another note, could GNE not use the site as an Engineering school or college? Last I heard they used to send apprentices to Coventry for their training at a college there. Not sure if this is still the case but it so it would save the expense of paying for the apprentices travel and accommodation. Maybe it could have dual use and be used as a transport museum maybe, which could be open at the weekends when the proposed school/college would be closed. Could help generate a bit of money and I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts would love it. Seems such a shame that a place with so much history could be reduced to rubble. I know this is very unlikely to happen but it's just a thought anyway.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rob44   31 Jan 2023, 2:13 pm
You heard it here first but I've heard its going to be an out station for GNE buses to save on dead mileage!
omnicity4659   31 Jan 2023, 9:45 pm
(31 Jan 2023, 1:26 pm)Washingtonian wrote I think Lidl could easily build a store on the site of the former Chester le Street Depot. There are plans in place for them to build a Lidl store for the old depot in Stanley which is a smaller site (not sure if approved mind). Plus there is the cleared site of the former fuel shop next door between the Chester depot and the BP garage that could be used . I know Lidl want a store in C-L-S and realistically that is probably the biggest and best site they could hope for at the moment.

On another note, could GNE not use the site as an Engineering school or college? Last I heard they used to send apprentices to Coventry for their training at a college there. Not sure if this is still the case but it so it would save the expense of paying for the apprentices travel and accommodation. Maybe it could have dual use and be used as a transport museum maybe, which could be open at the weekends when the proposed school/college would be closed. Could help generate a bit of money and I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts would love it. Seems such a shame that a place with so much history could be reduced to rubble. I know this is very unlikely to happen but it's just a thought anyway.

Apprentices study at Gateshead College
Adrian   01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm
(31 Jan 2023, 1:26 pm)Washingtonian wrote I think Lidl could easily build a store on the site of the former Chester le Street Depot. There are plans in place for them to build a Lidl store for the old depot in Stanley which is a smaller site (not sure if approved mind). Plus there is the cleared site of the former fuel shop next door between the Chester depot and the BP garage that could be used . I know Lidl want a store in C-L-S and realistically that is probably the biggest and best site they could hope for at the moment.

Preserving buildings cost a fortune, especially when you're responsible for the upkeep and repair. It's listed at £1.95 million to start with, and that's in it's current state. We already know from press reports that the depot would require considerable investment to get it up to standard, but even at that, it's never going to be to a modern useful standard. Plus it's full of asbestos, which is another problem for a would-be preservationist to resolve. 

There is of course funding/grants available, such as Heritage England and the Heritage Lottery Fund, but they don't hand out money for free or on the basis something should be kept. There needs to be a long-term future plan for it, and especially what benefits it is going to bring to the community. Doing something around training and education is one, but it doesn't come cheap, and you'd have the overheads of that on top of the upkeep and repair of a building.

I can't see it having a future in it's present form. It'd even be a waste of money for a lottery winner.

logidoodah   02 Feb 2023, 7:16 pm
(31 Jan 2023, 9:45 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Apprentices study at Gateshead College

When I attended Gateshead College a few years ago I queried this and they don't do it anymore...?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   02 Feb 2023, 7:45 pm

It just seems an awkward site with the 45 degree angle.

Btw for keeping it's history, the best thing would be to build apartments (or something else) but use the Northern archway as form of focus piece, maybe as the access point. The rest of the building is neither nothing or something to be honest and a bit of an eyesore tbh.
omnicity4659   05 Feb 2023, 8:11 pm
(02 Feb 2023, 7:16 pm)logidoodah wrote When I attended Gateshead College a few years ago I queried this and they don't do it anymore...?

They definitely do at the moment. GNE's apprentices attend the Team Valley campus once per week.
Pages (18)    115 16 17 18