Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 17 8 914 Next
BusLoverMum

12 Jan 2023, 10:55 pm #141
I don't think many people in West Auckland are wanting to travel to Newcastle very often unless they have family links. The bigger issue is for people in villages wanting to get to work in a minimum wage job, not necessarily 9-5 weekdays and people in the same areas wanting a decent sized supermarket without spending over 10% of their food budget on bus fare.
BusLoverMum
12 Jan 2023, 10:55 pm #141

I don't think many people in West Auckland are wanting to travel to Newcastle very often unless they have family links. The bigger issue is for people in villages wanting to get to work in a minimum wage job, not necessarily 9-5 weekdays and people in the same areas wanting a decent sized supermarket without spending over 10% of their food budget on bus fare.

Storx

12 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm #142
(12 Jan 2023, 10:55 pm)BusLoverMum I don't think many people in West Auckland are wanting to travel to Newcastle very often unless they have family links. The bigger issue is for people in villages wanting to get to work in a minimum wage job, not necessarily 9-5 weekdays and people in the same areas wanting a decent sized supermarket without spending over 10% of their food budget on bus fare.

West Auckland has a fantastic bus service to Newcastle imo, it really doesn't need one at all as there's very little connection between the two places. They should count their selves lucky they have one at all especially when most the Consett area villages have an hourly bus service and some nothing at all on evenings and Sunday's. Hourly bus services are a complete waste of time and I don't care what anyone says unless it's places like Rothbury which are in the sticks so it's unrealistic to expect more.
Storx
12 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm #142

(12 Jan 2023, 10:55 pm)BusLoverMum I don't think many people in West Auckland are wanting to travel to Newcastle very often unless they have family links. The bigger issue is for people in villages wanting to get to work in a minimum wage job, not necessarily 9-5 weekdays and people in the same areas wanting a decent sized supermarket without spending over 10% of their food budget on bus fare.

West Auckland has a fantastic bus service to Newcastle imo, it really doesn't need one at all as there's very little connection between the two places. They should count their selves lucky they have one at all especially when most the Consett area villages have an hourly bus service and some nothing at all on evenings and Sunday's. Hourly bus services are a complete waste of time and I don't care what anyone says unless it's places like Rothbury which are in the sticks so it's unrealistic to expect more.

Jimmi

12 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm #143
(12 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm)Storx West Auckland has a fantastic bus service to Newcastle imo, it really doesn't need one at all as there's very little connection between the two places. They should count their selves lucky they have one at all especially when most the Consett area villages have an hourly bus service and some nothing at all on evenings and Sunday's. Hourly bus services are a complete waste of time and I don't care what anyone says unless it's places like Rothbury which are in the sticks so it's unrealistic to expect more.

Not to mention the four buses an hour from Arriva that also serve Bishop Auckland & Durham (with the 85 & 104 running to Bishop on a less frequent basis as well), West Auckland has however lost links to other towns & villages over the years such as Crook and the link to Darlington is now only one trip on a morning and back in the evening on weekdays (service 84A).
Jimmi
12 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm #143

(12 Jan 2023, 11:20 pm)Storx West Auckland has a fantastic bus service to Newcastle imo, it really doesn't need one at all as there's very little connection between the two places. They should count their selves lucky they have one at all especially when most the Consett area villages have an hourly bus service and some nothing at all on evenings and Sunday's. Hourly bus services are a complete waste of time and I don't care what anyone says unless it's places like Rothbury which are in the sticks so it's unrealistic to expect more.

Not to mention the four buses an hour from Arriva that also serve Bishop Auckland & Durham (with the 85 & 104 running to Bishop on a less frequent basis as well), West Auckland has however lost links to other towns & villages over the years such as Crook and the link to Darlington is now only one trip on a morning and back in the evening on weekdays (service 84A).

13 Jan 2023, 1:43 am #144
Stop complaining about the West Auckland - Newcastle link, they'll take it away from me. It's all I have left!

Although i do agree it's largely pointless, when I get on at Tindale there are often people on who stay most of the journey. Likewise, there are definitely other people who get on at Newcastle/Gateshead who go as far as Woodhouse or Tindale.
streetdeckfan
13 Jan 2023, 1:43 am #144

Stop complaining about the West Auckland - Newcastle link, they'll take it away from me. It's all I have left!

Although i do agree it's largely pointless, when I get on at Tindale there are often people on who stay most of the journey. Likewise, there are definitely other people who get on at Newcastle/Gateshead who go as far as Woodhouse or Tindale.

Adrian

21 Jun 2023, 8:41 am #145
£12m rescue package to save at-risk North East bus services amid threat of major cuts
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...s-27163447

"Council leaders have agreed to spend up to £12.2m to protect services at risk of being slashed, as they brace for private bus operators to wield the axe in the coming months. However, that cash comes from a pot of Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) funding that the Government had originally awarded the North East to make wide-ranging upgrades across the region such as cutting fare prices and renovating stations – not simply to avoid existing routes being slashed."

Didn't take long for that begging bowl to come out, once the BSIP allocation became fair game...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Jun 2023, 8:41 am #145

£12m rescue package to save at-risk North East bus services amid threat of major cuts

"Council leaders have agreed to spend up to £12.2m to protect services at risk of being slashed, as they brace for private bus operators to wield the axe in the coming months. However, that cash comes from a pot of Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) funding that the Government had originally awarded the North East to make wide-ranging upgrades across the region such as cutting fare prices and renovating stations – not simply to avoid existing routes being slashed."

Didn't take long for that begging bowl to come out, once the BSIP allocation became fair game...

Storx

21 Jun 2023, 8:49 am #146
(21 Jun 2023, 8:41 am)Adrian £12m rescue package to save at-risk North East bus services amid threat of major cuts

Embarrassing, you should never spend investment money on day to day running. It's the quickest way to go bust (obviously won't happen but in general). What happens when the BSIP money runs out... It's just dragging the issue back.
Storx
21 Jun 2023, 8:49 am #146

(21 Jun 2023, 8:41 am)Adrian £12m rescue package to save at-risk North East bus services amid threat of major cuts

Embarrassing, you should never spend investment money on day to day running. It's the quickest way to go bust (obviously won't happen but in general). What happens when the BSIP money runs out... It's just dragging the issue back.

Adrian

21 Jun 2023, 8:57 am #147
(21 Jun 2023, 8:49 am)Storx Embarrassing, you should never spend investment money on day to day running. It's the quickest way to go bust (obviously won't happen but in general). What happens when the BSIP money runs out... It's just dragging the issue back.
Yep, and this was the 'less than 20% of what we asked for' allocation, that we should have apparently been rejoicing!

Wonder what happens next time traffic congestion comes up as a barrier to good buses services? Sorry, Guv', spent all the ringfenced cash on running your businesses!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Adrian
21 Jun 2023, 8:57 am #147

(21 Jun 2023, 8:49 am)Storx Embarrassing, you should never spend investment money on day to day running. It's the quickest way to go bust (obviously won't happen but in general). What happens when the BSIP money runs out... It's just dragging the issue back.
Yep, and this was the 'less than 20% of what we asked for' allocation, that we should have apparently been rejoicing!

Wonder what happens next time traffic congestion comes up as a barrier to good buses services? Sorry, Guv', spent all the ringfenced cash on running your businesses!

Andreos1

21 Jun 2023, 11:03 am #148

An absolute farce. 

How much more money is going to be chucked at the failing operators who take absolutely no responsibility for anything they do or fail to achieve?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Jun 2023, 11:03 am #148

An absolute farce. 

How much more money is going to be chucked at the failing operators who take absolutely no responsibility for anything they do or fail to achieve?

Storx

21 Jun 2023, 11:54 am #149
(21 Jun 2023, 8:57 am)Adrian Yep, and this was the 'less than 20% of what we asked for' allocation, that we should have apparently been rejoicing!

Aye totally agreed I'm not sure I agree with the shouting about it in the news either. 

If I was an operator it gives me the option to just bin routes off now. Why bother paying for a loss making service if I can just throw in the towel and have a very good chance of winning the thing back anyway if I had it so low that I make 10p. It's arguably better than a loss. 

The passengers would never know otherwise see Stagecoach with the 18, 32/32A, 35 and 62 extension. Heck they promoted the last as a good thing.
Storx
21 Jun 2023, 11:54 am #149

(21 Jun 2023, 8:57 am)Adrian Yep, and this was the 'less than 20% of what we asked for' allocation, that we should have apparently been rejoicing!

Aye totally agreed I'm not sure I agree with the shouting about it in the news either. 

If I was an operator it gives me the option to just bin routes off now. Why bother paying for a loss making service if I can just throw in the towel and have a very good chance of winning the thing back anyway if I had it so low that I make 10p. It's arguably better than a loss. 

The passengers would never know otherwise see Stagecoach with the 18, 32/32A, 35 and 62 extension. Heck they promoted the last as a good thing.

Adrian

21 Jun 2023, 7:03 pm #150
(21 Jun 2023, 11:03 am)Andreos1 An absolute farce. 

Until this pot of money is bled dry, I reckon. Despite the purpose supposedly being to *improve* services in the region.

It'd be interesting to see together, all these various sources of public money and how much from each source has been given to bus operators in this region.

Adrian
21 Jun 2023, 7:03 pm #150

(21 Jun 2023, 11:03 am)Andreos1 An absolute farce. 

Until this pot of money is bled dry, I reckon. Despite the purpose supposedly being to *improve* services in the region.

It'd be interesting to see together, all these various sources of public money and how much from each source has been given to bus operators in this region.

Andreos1

21 Jun 2023, 8:11 pm #151
(21 Jun 2023, 7:03 pm)Adrian Until this pot of money is bled dry, I reckon. Despite the purpose supposedly being to *improve* services in the region.

I reckon we need an expert FOI afficionado to do some digging!

Andreos1
21 Jun 2023, 8:11 pm #151

(21 Jun 2023, 7:03 pm)Adrian Until this pot of money is bled dry, I reckon. Despite the purpose supposedly being to *improve* services in the region.

I reckon we need an expert FOI afficionado to do some digging!

Adrian

30 Jun 2023, 5:38 pm #152
So the trumpet blowers at Transport North East are today celebrating a Department of Transport announcement, claiming to be investing £45.6 million into improving bus services. TNE claim this to be "bringing our region's total BSIP funding to £163.5m"

That'd of course be a welcome announcement of investment, if they hadn't already announced back in April 2022, that they have been successful in a "funding award of £163.5 million over three years." - see: http://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/lat...ouncement/

Now maths isn't always my strong point, but wouldn't an additional £45.6 million, on top of the April 2022 award of £163.5 million, result in their total BSIP funding being £209.1 million?  Huh

Unless of course this isn't new money, and in which case, why is there such a fanfare about it?

Adrian
30 Jun 2023, 5:38 pm #152

So the trumpet blowers at Transport North East are today celebrating a Department of Transport announcement, claiming to be investing £45.6 million into improving bus services. TNE claim this to be "bringing our region's total BSIP funding to £163.5m"

That'd of course be a welcome announcement of investment, if they hadn't already announced back in April 2022, that they have been successful in a "funding award of £163.5 million over three years." - see: http://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/lat...ouncement/

Now maths isn't always my strong point, but wouldn't an additional £45.6 million, on top of the April 2022 award of £163.5 million, result in their total BSIP funding being £209.1 million?  Huh

Unless of course this isn't new money, and in which case, why is there such a fanfare about it?

30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm #153
BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere, just Cuts.
54APhotography
30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm #153

BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere, just Cuts.

Adrian

30 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm #154
(30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm)54APhotography BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere, just Cuts.
Are we ever going to get anything better, when the instant reaction to the Tories giving us our own money back, is to celebrate it?

It's no wonder they keep dangling that carrot.

Adrian
30 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm #154

(30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm)54APhotography BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere, just Cuts.
Are we ever going to get anything better, when the instant reaction to the Tories giving us our own money back, is to celebrate it?

30 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm #155
(30 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm)Adrian Are we ever going to get anything better, when the instant reaction to the Tories giving us our own money back, is to celebrate it?

Afraid not. And any move to operate under one banner in Newcastle won't do anything to mitigate the loses elsewhere. 

As I pointed out in a rant at my MP, what does my next door neighbour do to get to work for 7am now that his early bus on a Saturday won't exist from Monday... he's going back to using the car, and will Tuesday to Friday now.. How many more have been driven back to car use?
54APhotography
30 Jun 2023, 7:09 pm #155

(30 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm)Adrian Are we ever going to get anything better, when the instant reaction to the Tories giving us our own money back, is to celebrate it?

Afraid not. And any move to operate under one banner in Newcastle won't do anything to mitigate the loses elsewhere. 

As I pointed out in a rant at my MP, what does my next door neighbour do to get to work for 7am now that his early bus on a Saturday won't exist from Monday... he's going back to using the car, and will Tuesday to Friday now.. How many more have been driven back to car use?

busmanT

01 Jul 2023, 11:16 am #156
(30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm)54APhotography BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere,  just Cuts.

I believe that the "improvements" will start to appear in the autumn.

Nexus mustn't think that the withdrawal of some early morning journeys will cause any issues - they've certainly got the money to replace them if they did.
busmanT
01 Jul 2023, 11:16 am #156

(30 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm)54APhotography BSIP. Cuts. Cuts and more cuts. Early morning services decimated. Despite encouraging folk to use public transport, what choice do they have now. Cuts from Monday, more Cuts at the Autumn timetable change. No improvements anywhere,  just Cuts.

I believe that the "improvements" will start to appear in the autumn.

Nexus mustn't think that the withdrawal of some early morning journeys will cause any issues - they've certainly got the money to replace them if they did.

Michael

01 Jul 2023, 11:35 am #157
(01 Jul 2023, 11:16 am)busmanT I believe that the "improvements" will start to appear in the autumn.

Any idea of what "Improvements" we'll see?

Is the funding spread equally or is it once again - mostly for Newcastle, rest of us get the scraps?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Jul 2023, 11:35 am #157

(01 Jul 2023, 11:16 am)busmanT I believe that the "improvements" will start to appear in the autumn.

Any idea of what "Improvements" we'll see?

Is the funding spread equally or is it once again - mostly for Newcastle, rest of us get the scraps?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

RobinHood

01 Jul 2023, 11:48 am #158
(01 Jul 2023, 11:35 am)I believe theMichael Any idea of what "Improvements" we'll see?

I believe GNE 21 increasing back to every 7/8 minutes is one of the improvements.
RobinHood
01 Jul 2023, 11:48 am #158

(01 Jul 2023, 11:35 am)I believe theMichael Any idea of what "Improvements" we'll see?

I believe GNE 21 increasing back to every 7/8 minutes is one of the improvements.

Adrian

01 Jul 2023, 12:02 pm #159
(01 Jul 2023, 11:48 am)RobinHood I believe GNE 21 increasing back to every 7/8 minutes is one of the improvements.

Great, we can have them running in groups of 4 instead of 3.  Big Grin

Adrian
01 Jul 2023, 12:02 pm #159

(01 Jul 2023, 11:48 am)RobinHood I believe GNE 21 increasing back to every 7/8 minutes is one of the improvements.

Great, we can have them running in groups of 4 instead of 3.  Big Grin

01 Jul 2023, 12:07 pm #160
Wasn't there funding to get 18 electric buses for the 21, will there still be enough if this increase does happen?
Iamtheone8483748
01 Jul 2023, 12:07 pm #160

Wasn't there funding to get 18 electric buses for the 21, will there still be enough if this increase does happen?

Pages (14) Previous 17 8 914 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average