Menu

Pages (47)    16 7 847   
Adrian   29 Sep 2023, 10:28 am
(29 Sep 2023, 10:19 am)Bazza wrote Totally agree with this.   To talk about ‘scabs’ is going back to the worst times of the 70s and 80s.  

What would you prefer to call them?

And worst times? Working conditions and pay was still being driven up during the 70s and 80s, thanks to strong unions.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Rob44   29 Sep 2023, 10:34 am
The x50 soccer bus is running on saturday - must bring in the dollars
streetdeckfan   29 Sep 2023, 11:49 am
(29 Sep 2023, 10:28 am)Adrian wrote What would you prefer to call them?

And worst times? Working conditions and pay was still being driven up during the 70s and 80s, thanks to strong unions.

People.

I have more respect for people going in and doing their job than those going on strike especially when there are people like you degrading them.
Adrian   29 Sep 2023, 11:56 am
(29 Sep 2023, 11:49 am)streetdeckfan wrote People.

I have more respect for people going in and doing their job than those going on strike especially when there are people like you degrading them.

Ah, did I hit a nerve? 

I'm sure they can live with my apparent-degrading of them, if they have your respect.  Rolleyes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   29 Sep 2023, 12:05 pm
https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/unite-call...ike-action

Have they intentionally put Ben's phone number on their website?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Shrek   29 Sep 2023, 12:07 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 10:22 am)Adrian wrote There's always a choice. It's not just about crossing the picket line, it's about undermining the dispute. There's nothing more demoralising than going on strike and making a stand, then watching your so-called colleagues go and help the management out.

From experience, I find these people are always happy to reap the rewards won by a dispute?

If a person has to choose to work instead of strike in order to feed their kids or keep on top of rent, I can fully understand that. I also think anyone who doesn't want to strike should be allowed to work if they want to without taking abuse.

A good friend of mine got abuse from some union reps when nurses were on strike and she had to cross the picket line to work in A&E to provide the cover that had to be there and was agreed by the unions. Personally I don't see why unions have to be as hostile as they are. You can make an equally good case while remaining civil.
Storx   29 Sep 2023, 12:26 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 12:07 pm)Shrek wrote If a person has to choose to work instead of strike in order to feed their kids or keep on top of rent, I can fully understand that. I also think anyone who doesn't want to strike should be allowed to work if they want to without taking abuse.

A good friend of mine got abuse from some union reps when nurses were on strike and she had to cross the picket line to work in A&E to provide the cover that had to be there and was agreed by the unions. Personally I don't see why unions have to be as hostile as they are. You can make an equally good case while remaining civil.

The problem is, if everyone has that attitude then the strike is pointless. It only works with strength in numbers. 

I believe the union are paying the drivers during the strike action anyway if I'm correct.
Chris 1   29 Sep 2023, 12:26 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 12:05 pm)Ambassador wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/unite-call...ike-action

I've noticed that on previous press releases.

Original offer 9.1%; revised to 9.5%?  About 5p per hour.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   29 Sep 2023, 12:28 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 12:07 pm)Shrek wrote If a person has to choose to work instead of strike in order to feed their kids or keep on top of rent, I can fully understand that. I also think anyone who doesn't want to strike should be allowed to work if they want to without taking abuse.

Generally speaking, they aren't, but you're talking about a situation where tensions are extremely high. It's always going to be the case when money is involved. Most unions operate hardship funds, so those that are genuinely in need of hardship to strike, will be supported out of funds.

People of course, legally, have the right to still attend work if they so desire, but I sometimes think at the same time they expect a pat on the back for doing so. Whilst they have every right to work, those on strike have the right to try and persuade them or refuse to speak to them.

To talk about hostility, I think it's worth looking at the communications that the company have put out. They've been specifically written to try and make union members (their own employees) out to be public enemy number one. Furthermore, they've allowed abuse of their drivers to continue on their social media platforms, when in the past they've limited comments and such to avoid this.

Even taking the latest press release: "Ben Maxfield said, “I would like to offer my deepest apologies to people across the region who will be affected by Unite’s strike. Rest assured we will continue to work towards the quickest solution possible.”"

It's worth remembering that you never have a dispute without a bad employer.

(29 Sep 2023, 12:05 pm)Ambassador wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/unite-call...ike-action

Bit of an odd move. They've done it with previous press releases too.

I'm not sure why they need to add notes to editors on their own website?

Ambassador   29 Sep 2023, 12:33 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 12:28 pm)Adrian wrote Bit of an odd move. They've done it with previous press releases too.

I'm not sure why they need to add notes to editors on their own website?

I guess they don't have any in house and just copy and paste whatever their overlords send them

xpm   29 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm
Looking at that latest press release GNE still don't get it - it's not all about the money - they still refer to 'slowing down' the introduction of revised conditions - and that's where the sticking point will be. I'm sure GNE will have been holding out for a last minute 'Hail Mary' in american football terms and trying to stop the strike or at least delay it, and to try to force Unite to take the offer to their members. Hopefully the branch chairs and secretaries have had enough nouse about them to agree the 'no deal' points at the branch meetings and in collaborations with other branches agree what the shared priorities were, it would certainly appear that way.

100% behind the drivers, and yes some innocent people are going to be massively inconvenienced as part of this, that is unfortunately unavoidable due to GNEs complete ineptitude, and suggestions from some that doing strike days here and there would have been better - yeah I'm sure it would have been for you so that you aren't inconvenienced! The point of a strike to to cause inconvenience. The Japanese model of working but not taking fares would not work here because so much of the revenue is propped up by local or central government grants now - there would be no noticeable impact to GNE realistically, and they'd just discipline the drivers involved - I know a lot of you are saying no they wouldn't - believe me, they would! A strike is a legal way of protest despite successive governments attempts to outlaw it.

There is one other thing which most people won't have thought about though with that many buses being off the road for a week - how many batteries will conk out either at first use check, or at first layover - it's normally bad enough after a bank holiday and jump packs can only be used so many times on a charge.
Shrek   29 Sep 2023, 1:35 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 12:28 pm)Adrian wrote Generally speaking, they aren't, but you're talking about a situation where tensions are extremely high. It's always going to be the case when money is involved. Most unions operate hardship funds, so those that are genuinely in need of hardship to strike, will be supported out of funds.

People of course, legally, have the right to still attend work if they so desire, but I sometimes think at the same time they expect a pat on the back for doing so. Whilst they have every right to work, those on strike have the right to try and persuade them or refuse to speak to them.

To talk about hostility, I think it's worth looking at the communications that the company have put out. They've been specifically written to try and make union members (their own employees) out to be public enemy number one. Furthermore, they've allowed abuse of their drivers to continue on their social media platforms, when in the past they've limited comments and such to avoid this.
That's good if the union has a hardship fund and if people are still getting money. I know when my previous job looked at strike action, we would not have got any support from the union. I guess some unions are better than others.

I 100% agree that the company, especially in this case are being just as hostile, and I criticise them for that too. GNE management seem to be an absolute shambles these days, sadly it doesn't come as much of a surprise that they aren't handling the situation well. 

I agree those striking have the right to try and persuade non strike members to join them. I would argue that in 2023, there should be code of conducts for employee behaviour, and everyone should remember that even when it's a dispute about a strike, every member of staff has the right to make a complaint if they feel they are being bullied or harassed. Something everyone on both sides would be wise to remember.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   29 Sep 2023, 3:01 pm
Looks like Stagecoach will be accepting GNE passes through the strikes

Customers are advised that to avoid any further delays, all valid Go North East pre-paid customer tickets will be accepted for travel on local buses operated by Stagecoach in the affected areas during the dates of strike action.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:19:34:886

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Ambassador   29 Sep 2023, 3:10 pm
Arriva could probably run a convoy of double deckers on the X12 during the strike and make a bloody fortune.

L469 YVK   29 Sep 2023, 3:34 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 3:10 pm)Ambassador wrote Arriva could probably run a convoy of double deckers on the X12 during the strike and make a bloody fortune.

As if they've got the resource to do that when have been struggling enough.

Will just be a coincidence if there's a bout of sickness on Wednesday at Blyth depot and the Coast Road services are effectively non-existent after 9.30pm!

Surprised the independents & coach operators haven't been selling seats on GNE's key corridors out of Newcastle on Wednesday night too!
Ambassador   29 Sep 2023, 3:46 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 3:34 pm)L469 YVK wrote As if they've got the resource to do that when have been struggling enough.

Will just be a coincidence if there's a bout of sickness on Wednesday at Blyth depot and the Coast Road services are effectively non-existent after 9.30pm!

Surprised the independents & coach operators haven't been selling seats on GNE's key corridors out of Newcastle on Wednesday night too!

Although there'll be a huge huge impact, particularly on those who have no other options - it's a bit like the train strikes. Leisure travellers (and those who can) just plan around it. Uber and the black cabs will be rubbing their hands with glee (alongside car park owners!). Once they've remembered how nice their cars are in the autumn chill, it'll take a lot to drag them back onto buses

Most people will work from home or businesses will work around reduced front line - from my side, all those covid plans are dusted off and replaced with strikes. In most cases, if a car share isn't available, we're just paying for taxis as the value of the colleague being in the building is above £20 on the corporate account (but I appreciate some organisations can't or won't do that)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   29 Sep 2023, 4:35 pm
Arriva North East's Facebook:

Due to industrial action at Go North East from Saturday 30th of September until Friday 6th of October we will accept Go North East Tickets free of charge in the following areas.

Great North Road / Brunton Land / Newcastle Haymarket
Earsdon / North Shields
Durham / Newcastle
Cramlington / Newcastle
Annitsford / Quorum / Newcastle

This is in addition to the existing arrangements already in place on services 306/308.
Unber43   29 Sep 2023, 5:02 pm
Everytime a driver in my expierence has been asked about the strikes, theyve been supportive. But my worry is that people who don't have tech wont know there is a strike and they will be standing at stops for hours
DeltaMan   29 Sep 2023, 5:13 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 9:20 am)Adrian wrote Would you want to be on a bus driven by a scab? No thanks.

Its language like that which stops people that aren't politically motivated from joining a union.
Adrian   29 Sep 2023, 5:19 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 5:13 pm)DeltaMan wrote Its language like that which stops people that aren't politically motivated from joining a union.

In your opinion it does. You may not like the term, but that's the term widely used.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   29 Sep 2023, 5:52 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 5:19 pm)Adrian wrote In your opinion it does. You may not like the term, but that's the term widely used.

I think it would be a term many would agree with considering theyre not sacrificing anything but get all the rewards, might use something stronger
LVK 404L   29 Sep 2023, 6:01 pm
I remember the strikes from the 90s which was Go Ahead Northern back then, so same company, no change.

That started with individual depots first, on random daily strikes. It then extended to all depots on weekly strikes for a period. Then it went full blanket strike.

The independants and off shoots of fhe larger companies registered services in the end to assist as it was even worse bedlam that what its gping to be.

Some of the registered i remember back then were

Ok Travel registered the old 194 Heworth to Easington Lame
Calvary Coaches registered the old 294 Heworth to Washington
Favourite (Busways) registered the old X5 Newcastle to Hartlepool
Busways registered fhe old 535 South Shields to Easington Lane
Scarlet Band, Bell Bros (and Browns i think) jointly registered the old 220 Sunderland to Durham.

Was interesting as an enthusiast but not as commuter at the time.

If this goes the same way, we need some quick registrations.
BusLoverMum   29 Sep 2023, 6:01 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 5:02 pm)Unber43 wrote Everytime a driver in my expierence has been asked about the strikes, theyve been supportive. But my worry is that people who don't have tech wont know there is a strike and they will be standing at stops for hours

There's messages on the stops that have the displays but those stops.are pretty inconsistent. 

The once an hour pulsars on the Newcastle bound X12 are going to be rammed. The one we caught this morning was busy enough.

People in some villages and around north Durham and Gateshead will be stuffed.
Unber43   29 Sep 2023, 6:04 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 6:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote There's messages on the stops that have the displays but those stops.are pretty inconsistent. 

The once an hour pulsars on the Newcastle bound X12 are going to be rammed. The one we caught this morning was busy enough.

Don't forget the extra passegners at Middlesbrough, it will probably just pick people up in Durham then no where else
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   29 Sep 2023, 6:12 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 6:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote There's messages on the stops that have the displays but those stops.are pretty inconsistent. 

The 685 on Wednesday could be interesting aswell for similar reasons since Northern trains are off aswell, with the added bonus of the match aswell. Least people in Durham and CLS still have a train service to rely on, if they can get to it.
idiot   29 Sep 2023, 8:05 pm
From what I'm gaging on social media is that to the average Joe this strike is costing them a fortune to get to work, kids to school etc for a prolonged amount of time.
streetdeckfan   29 Sep 2023, 8:10 pm
Are there actually any benefits to GNE giving in to Unite's demands?

They're already loss making with seemingly no return to profitability in sight, so the best financial option would be to just wind down GNE.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
Unber43   29 Sep 2023, 8:17 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 8:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Are there actually any benefits to GNE giving in to Unite's demands?

They're already loss making with seemingly no return to profitability in sight, so the best financial option would be to just wind down GNE.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
But where are all the enthusiasts in the offices going to go!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   29 Sep 2023, 8:56 pm
What happens with tonight's N21s? I imagine they'll technically be Friday shifts, but isn't there usually overlap with some first journeys out on a morning?
DeltaMan   29 Sep 2023, 9:20 pm
(29 Sep 2023, 8:56 pm)mb134 wrote What happens with tonight's N21s? I imagine they'll technically be Friday shifts, but isn't there usually overlap with some first journeys out on a morning?

It's not been pulled from the timetable grids on the website. Whereas the rest of the week has.
Pages (47)    16 7 847