Menu

Pages (47)    122 23 2447   
V514DFT   27 Oct 2023, 4:05 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm)Aaron21 wrote Guess this statement went completely out the window as well. Also to state that your not running any service buses to then still run the 351/359/335. Yes I know this has been stated before but when you say "no service will run bar contact school services" it mens no service will run. So what if the X75 or H is contract. You say no service will run so no service will run. Imagine what people would think who go into town and see routes like the 351 running to Whitley Bay but the residents who use the 307/309 or even any other see that there gonna think "why are u running that service but not mine". Anyway back to the statement

We are currently working on plans for services we will be able to operate during this period of strike. We expect that contract school bus services will still operate, and all other services will be reviewed as the situation develops

This was posted on the past 2 updates on industrial action page. Well Guess that went straight out the window
Which is what im now thinking

(27 Oct 2023, 3:57 pm)Unber43 wrote Arriva will be accepting Go North East tickets free of charge where shared routes operate from Saturday 28th October until Friday 10th November.

Also people are saying they would rather have Arriva than GNE, I know I wouldn't.

The X12 need deckers!

Well given that GNE took over the route that go's to my mothers then im stuffed either way

Kind Regards
Tez
mb134   27 Oct 2023, 6:17 pm
I think this will lead to Featham looking at closing at least one depot, or at least provide his reasoning behind doing it if he already had one planned. If the strike does last for 12 weeks, that's an awful lot of revenue not coming in and they will still have some fixed costs going out.

I'd take a guess at Percy Main not being long for this world. Majority of the services could easily be operated from Riverside, certainly the 307/9, 1, 327, and ToonTour. You'd think the NTRs could be operated from there too, unless the strike kills them off passenger numbers wise which is a possibility with the 352/355 in particular. I'd think the only issue would be finding locations for breaks, maybe wherever is currently used for Q3 breaks?

The other depots to me seem relatively safe, in terms of not being to easily operate their routes from somewhere else. You'd then look at depots which maybe don't have a massively strong set of routes. Possibly Hexham, if the contract work there isn't particularly lucrative?
ReDemPTiion   27 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm
Some people in here really need to give their head a wobble. The strike is not all about pay. The drivers don’t want to have to do this but the company have given them no option.

Let me ask you this. If you couldn’t go to the toilet for 5 and a half hours how would you feel?

Finishing work 12am and back in 9/10am the next day, would you be happy with that?

Constantly being asked to work your days off because they don’t have enough staff because of the low pay and poor conditions only to work the overtime and get abuse from passengers because people complain about the missing buses.

Shifts being stretched to the maximum and breaks being shorted as much as possible to get the most work out of the drivers as possible.

What the passengers don’t see is how staff are treat behind closed doors all you’s see is someone sat driving a bus, might be smiling but is probably fed up sick of all the crap they face on a daily basis. Probably looking for other jobs but can’t find anything and stuck doing this job.

I understand some villages, towns etc only Go North East serve and it’s going to be awful for them but it’s management that are to blame for this not anyone else.

I don’t work for Go North East but I do work for a big bus company in the north east and I’m fully supporting them. Yes everything is going to be s**t for the next few weeks but the company won’t let it last the full 12 weeks they’ll reach an agreement with the union but it will take some time.

Sorry for the rant but things really need to change. I’ve been doing this job for 8 years and ever since I started it’s gone downhill. Pay and conditions should be the same across the country never mind lower in the north where we do the same amount of work that people down south do.
Unber43   27 Oct 2023, 6:29 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 6:17 pm)mb134 wrote I think this will lead to Featham looking at closing at least one depot, or at least provide his reasoning behind doing it if he already had one planned. If the strike does last for 12 weeks, that's an awful lot of revenue not coming in and they will still have some fixed costs going out.

I'd take a guess at Percy Main not being long for this world. Majority of the services could easily be operated from Riverside, certainly the 307/9, 1, 327, and ToonTour. You'd think the NTRs could be operated from there too, unless the strike kills them off passenger numbers wise which is a possibility with the 352/355 in particular. I'd think the only issue would be finding locations for breaks, maybe wherever is currently used for Q3 breaks?

The other depots to me seem relatively safe, in terms of not being to easily operate their routes from somewhere else. You'd then look at depots which maybe don't have a massively strong set of routes. Possibly Hexham, if the contract work there isn't particularly lucrative?
But does there contract work in Hexham not lead people into getting the 10/684 with the selection of day/weekly passes. 

Percy Main is the one to shut down, **if** NTR don't work out but cancellatons at Riverside would go through the roof as the drivers would either move to Slateford or Arriva Northumbria
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R838PRG   27 Oct 2023, 6:44 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm)ReDemPTiion wrote Some people in here really need to give their head a wobble. The strike is not all about pay. The drivers don’t want to have to do this but the company have given them no option.

Let me ask you this. If you couldn’t go to the toilet for 5 and a half hours how would you feel?

like you worked at stagecoach or arriva because GNE maximum portion is 4 and a half hours 

Finishing work 12am and back in 9/10am the next day, would you be happy with that?

which Go North East don’t do as they have an agreement with Union for 11 rostered hours off between shifts

Constantly being asked to work your days off because they don’t have enough staff because of the low pay and poor conditions only to work the overtime and get abuse from passengers because people complain about the missing buses.

overtime is voluntary in all jobs.  You can be asked to work but not forced 

Shifts being stretched to the maximum and breaks being shorted as much as possible to get the most work out of the drivers as possible.

All depots have agreed minimum meal breaks, agreed minimum and maximum shift lengths and agreed weekly rota week lengths.  So within these three restrictions don’t they want to drive a bus when they are employed as bus drivers?

What the passengers don’t see is how staff are treat behind closed doors all you’s see is someone sat driving a bus, might be smiling but is probably fed up sick of all the crap they face on a daily basis. Probably looking for other jobs but can’t find anything and stuck doing this job.

I understand some villages, towns etc only Go North East serve and it’s going to be awful for them but it’s management that are to blame for this not anyone else.

I don’t work for Go North East but I do work for a big bus company in the north east and I’m fully supporting them. Yes everything is going to be s**t for the next few weeks but the company won’t let it last the full 12 weeks they’ll reach an agreement with the union but it will take some time.

Sorry for the rant but things really need to change. I’ve been doing this job for 8 years and ever since I started it’s gone downhill. Pay and conditions should be the same across the country never mind lower in the north where we do the same amount of work that people down south do.
Unber43   27 Oct 2023, 6:48 pm
I thought GNE max was 5 hours?
DeltaMan   27 Oct 2023, 6:51 pm
It's also worth pointing out that in ALL cases, these sorts of scheduling agreements are negotiated and signed off by.....a UNION, usually in exchange for cash inducement. (They could always say no)

So when folk talk about watering down T&C's etc and the "race to the bottom", a previous union rep would have needed to agree to that before implementation.
Storx   27 Oct 2023, 7:16 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 6:17 pm)mb134 wrote I think this will lead to Featham looking at closing at least one depot, or at least provide his reasoning behind doing it if he already had one planned. If the strike does last for 12 weeks, that's an awful lot of revenue not coming in and they will still have some fixed costs going out.

Not think they'll just bin them off instead? Can't imagine the Coast Road being as lucrative as some make it out to be, especially with massive drives, and the 1 I can't exactly seeing being a gold mine either, it duplicates the 22 and 306 for big parts of it's route.

Either way, it's got to be Saltmeadows first surely and Bensham, with the ops moved into one of the depots aswell.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Boggle   27 Oct 2023, 7:19 pm
The onus surely has to be on GNE to sort this and it appears that the only solution is to get to, or close to, GNW wages for GNE drivers. Day to day conditions need looking at too otherwise staff retention seems unrealistic. If they don’t, the long term damage will not only be reputational but also to income. 

Living in an area with only GNE services except for an hourly X12 which is of no use to anyone really, I’ve made alternative arrangements to get lifts to and from work during the strikes so far and to work at home on others. Those arrangements have stayed in place in the intervening weeks without the strikes too. My colleague who has been kind enough to give me lifts gets a contribution to their petrol and parking and I get to ditch the dirty, old, unreliable bus. I guess I’m amongst the lucky ones for who this is possible, but I’m now very much an ex-bus commuter and I’m sure I’m not the only one. GNE only has itself to blame. 

Best of luck to the drivers, I hope they get what they’re worth.
Unber43   27 Oct 2023, 7:27 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 7:16 pm)Storx wrote Not think they'll just bin them off instead? Can't imagine the Coast Road being as lucrative as some make it out to be, especially with massive drives, and the 1 I can't exactly seeing being a gold mine either, it duplicates the 22 and 306 for big parts of it's route.

Either way, it's got to be Saltmeadows first surely and Bensham, with the ops moved into one of the depots aswell.
Bensham should have been moved ages ago into Riverside.
mb134   27 Oct 2023, 7:32 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 7:16 pm)Storx wrote Not think they'll just bin them off instead? Can't imagine the Coast Road being as lucrative as some make it out to be, especially with massive drives, and the 1 I can't exactly seeing being a gold mine either, it duplicates the 22 and 306 for big parts of it's route.

Either way, it's got to be Saltmeadows first surely and Dunston, with the ops moved into one of the depots aswell.

I think the Coast Road is still decent enough, I'd definitely think it would be something they'd happily move to Riverside if need be. Since the reduction of all routes to every 20 minutes, all 308/309s I've used have had pretty decent loads (I haven't really used the 306/7 so can't comment). With the 1 it's essentially just swapping back to what the 97 would have done but with a route extension, no? I think there are some decent routes at PM, but looking at it from the outside there's also some that are probably dragging it down and overall I'd think it's an easy target after all this? 

In terms of Saltmeadows, isn't that only currently used by agency drivers? I'd sort of discounted that from my thinking tbh.

(27 Oct 2023, 6:29 pm)Unber43 wrote But does there contract work in Hexham not lead people into getting the 10/684 with the selection of day/weekly passes. 

Percy Main is the one to shut down, **if** NTR don't work out but cancellatons at Riverside would go through the roof as the drivers would either move to Slateford or Arriva Northumbria

No idea, really not sure how lucrative it is at all. But I'd imagine with the new TNE ticketing, even if the routes are ran by independents then I'd think NCC may ensure tickets could be used on the 10? 

I'd think Stagecoach would be the obvious one, but I think it'll depend on if it's another CLS/Jesmond situation and there are financial incentives to stay with GNE if any closures were to happen?
Storx   27 Oct 2023, 8:18 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 7:32 pm)mb134 wrote I think the Coast Road is still decent enough, I'd definitely think it would be something they'd happily move to Riverside if need be. Since the reduction of all routes to every 20 minutes, all 308/309s I've used have had pretty decent loads (I haven't really used the 306/7 so can't comment). With the 1 it's essentially just swapping back to what the 97 would have done but with a route extension, no? I think there are some decent routes at PM, but looking at it from the outside there's also some that are probably dragging it down and overall I'd think it's an easy target after all this? 

In terms of Saltmeadows, isn't that only currently used by agency drivers? I'd sort of discounted that from my thinking tbh.

Aye some fair points but if it was going to lead to cancellations, then it's arguably the 'easiest' route to get arid of without a PR disaster as the vast majority of it is covered by Arriva services, albeit rather infrequent now.

Who knows what I Squared motivations are but if they're going on what they're really talking about, maybe they could be interested in purchasing the depot instead, GNE citing losses, I Squared citing consildation of the Coast Road services or whatever. Could be a good move for both parties. Obviously that depends on I Squared motives though.

Honestly I'm not sure what the point of Saltmeadows is, if I had to be honest. It always just seems like a glorified paint shop... but I might be missing something. I'm not aware of any other company having similar though - at all.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   27 Oct 2023, 8:39 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 6:19 pm)ReDemPTiion wrote Some people in here really need to give their head a wobble. The strike is not all about pay. The drivers don’t want to have to do this but the company have given them no option.

This is the sort of messaging the Union should be sharing and one the wider bus user population, GNE pension holders and Tory light enthusiasts on here should take heed of 

How bloody difficult the job is, how bad management is but how the job is done by people who care and want the best.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
mb134   27 Oct 2023, 9:26 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 8:39 pm)Ambassador wrote This is the sort of messaging the Union should be sharing and one the wider bus user population, GNE pension holders and Tory light enthusiasts on here should take heed of 

How bloody difficult the job is, how bad management is but how the job is done by people who care and want the best.

I think it's strange that none of their communication, at least none that I've seen, really highlights this. 

Just to list a few things that drivers have to deal with:
  • Other road users with no idea how to drive. 
  • Antisocial behaviour from passengers, and the general public (windows being smashed etc.). 
  • Passengers being annoyed that the one in front didn't turn up, or that they're late (likely as a result of passengers complaining at every stop). 
  • Increasingly tight timetables, which are destroyed by even the smallest set of roadworks. 
  • Bad weather (buses are expected to keep going throughout storms). 

I would think that the public might have greater sympathy with the drivers if they fully understood what the job entails, because as well as all that listed above they must also be in control of a vehicle carrying up to 100 members of the public.
BusLoverMum   27 Oct 2023, 10:38 pm
OFGS can't the coast road navel gazing be left out of ow thread?

"Passengers being annoyed that the one in front didn't turn up,"

My usual response to this is "such a relief to see you". Normally said to an 8 driver when no Durham bound 50 shows up at the galleries, despite what the app says.

(27 Oct 2023, 10:19 pm)Storx wrote Can't really disagree with them.

I'm not sure whether the Q3 is subsidised or something but I'm really surprised that keeps going. It's not a busy bus route, ever - especially at the Great Park end of it. Lucky to see double figures on it and the other end is no better. Unless something has changed in the past 10 years, I used to use it from a mates down by far end of the Quayside and pretty much be the only one on the bus.

There's just absolutely no reason for anyone use to it at any point along the Great North Road since it's less frequent and takes a detour via Jesmond.
I'm sure people from Jesmond would like to use it.
Storx   27 Oct 2023, 10:53 pm
(27 Oct 2023, 10:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I'm sure people from Jesmond would like to use it.

Never seen anyone at a bus stop in Jesmond, mostly students and they all seem to use the Metro. It might have changed in recent years but the 33 used to be constantly dead. Not saying it shouldn't exist, just surprised it's commercially viable without any subsidies - assume there's some somewhere.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   28 Oct 2023, 12:31 am
6322/6328 could be the last buses to run in 2023
Acky81   28 Oct 2023, 1:11 am
So pleased I declined a job with these idiots. Go north east need to match go north west and pay the same. Better working conditions is needed. Nigel and Ben are a disgrace and need to go. They are ruining the company. Poor management must resign. 

It would be good if nexus could step in to support Stagecoach arriva and GCT to provide at least an hourly service in Washington Silksworth Ryhope Tunstall and Seaham which are only served by Go Shite East.
Unber43   28 Oct 2023, 1:13 am
It will be very intresting to see Arriva pay increase proposal. As theyll want more than whatever GNE gets, but if GNE waits and arrivas goes up to say 15.90 GNE will either want that or more

And if GNE get 15.50 an hour, Arriva will be on strike till that is atleast £15.80 an hour and I cannot imagine DB going to even care and are just going to wait till the takeover to get any decent deal

(28 Oct 2023, 1:11 am)Acky81 wrote So pleased I declined a job with these idiots. Go north east need to match go north west and pay the same. Better working conditions is needed. Nigel and Ben are a disgrace and need to go. They are ruining the company. Poor management must resign. 

It would be good if nexus could step in to support Stagecoach arriva and GCT to provide at least an hourly service in Washington Silksworth Ryhope Tunstall and Seaham which are only served by Go Shite East.
Not just Washington, Consett, Chester-Le-Street- Houghton, Central Gateshead, Hexham.
Acky81   28 Oct 2023, 1:43 am
Yep them as well

Weardale arriva jh gct could help these areas
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Panasonic44   28 Oct 2023, 5:00 am
I do agress Nexus needs to more even if its hourly service. For me in Hebburn we do need Stagecoach to help out from Jarrow to Newcastle or Gateshead because the only company GT are crap 8 to 5pm.

The 26 is Nexus service could strip GNE of route and allow Stagecoach to run hourly service would make sense or Aline Coaches .

Regarding Pay, if GNE get same as GNW all other companies in North East will follow suit and will cause more problems.

I think it's shocking that Olderly, people can't drive and disabled and companies don't care.
LVK 404L   28 Oct 2023, 5:33 am
(28 Oct 2023, 5:00 am)Panasonic44 wrote I do agress Nexus needs to more even if its hourly service. For me in Hebburn we do need Stagecoach to help out from Jarrow to Newcastle or Gateshead because the only company GT are crap 8 to 5pm.

The 26 is Nexus service could strip GNE of route and allow Stagecoach to run hourly service would make sense or Aline Coaches .

Regarding Pay, if GNE get same as GNW all other companies in North East will follow suit and will cause more problems.

I think it's shocking that Olderly, people can't drive and disabled and companies don't care.
The 26 is only partial Nexus isnt it though (evenings onl possibly)

You are correct though that areas without anythimg other than GNE need some sort of assistance.

At least Hebburn has the metro, yes it may be a walk from some parts of Hebburn but it is something.

I have staff work for me who are not able to work from home and live in places such as Kibblesworth  Catchgate and Hetton le Hole who are stranded amd the next 12 weeks or so is going to be very difficult indeed
Unber43   28 Oct 2023, 6:14 am
6322 was the last bus of 2023 possibly.

(28 Oct 2023, 5:33 am)ifm001 wrote The 26 is only partial Nexus isnt it though (evenings onl possibly)

You are correct though that areas without anythimg other than GNE need some sort of assistance.

At least Hebburn has the metro, yes it may be a walk from some parts of Hebburn but it is something.

I have staff work for me who are not able to work from home and live in places such as Kibblesworth  Catchgate and Hetton le Hole who are stranded amd the next 12 weeks or so is going to be very difficult indeed
The way the metro is going....I think its going to be 12 weeks of hell as theyve got no GNE to fall back on
Storx   28 Oct 2023, 7:28 am
I 100% disagree that Nexus should do anything personally. The council should not be bailing out commercial routes.

I understand the inconvenience but that's the point of a strike.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Panasonic44   28 Oct 2023, 7:32 am
(28 Oct 2023, 5:33 am)ifm001 wrote The 26 is only partial Nexus isnt it though (evenings onl possibly)

True hebburn may have metro but alot of times metro delayed or cancelled.  At least as boss you understand however not all companies understand.

I live in Hebburn and its 30mins walking distance is hell after 10hr shift

I thought whole 26 was but you right evening covered by Nexus
Chris3912   28 Oct 2023, 7:44 am
(27 Oct 2023, 10:19 pm)Storx wrote Can't really disagree with them.

I'm not sure whether the Q3 is subsidised or something but I'm really surprised that keeps going. It's not a busy bus route, ever - especially at the Great Park end of it. Lucky to see double figures on it and the other end is no better. Unless something has changed in the past 10 years, I used to use it from a mates down by far end of the Quayside and pretty much be the only one on the bus.

There's just absolutely no reason for anyone use to it at any point along the Great North Road since it's less frequent and takes a detour via Jesmond.

So what are vulnerable/elderly people in Great Park supposed to do just not have a service for them? Walk all the way to Great North Road? That's a good 30-40 mins walk for some residents. Q3 is the only bus route in Great Park. It's always packed whenever I use it from the Community Centre in the morning.
j986986   28 Oct 2023, 8:37 am
(28 Oct 2023, 7:44 am)Chris3912 wrote So what are vulnerable/elderly people in Great Park supposed to do just not have a service for them? Walk all the way to Great North Road? That's a good 30-40 mins walk for some residents. Q3 is the only bus route in Great Park. It's always packed whenever I use it from the Community Centre in the morning.

Yeah, everytime I have used it, it’s always been busy. Especially going down Gosforth High Street and into Jesmond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Storx   28 Oct 2023, 9:30 am
(28 Oct 2023, 7:44 am)Chris3912 wrote So what are vulnerable/elderly people in Great Park supposed to do just not have a service for them? Walk all the way to Great North Road? That's a good 30-40 mins walk for some residents. Q3 is the only bus route in Great Park. It's always packed whenever I use it from the Community Centre in the morning.

Wasn't saying get shot of it, just surprised GNE still run it commercially when they've been cutting other services when on the ground appear more busy. 

Of course there'd need to be a service to the place, mind I'm surprised the X47 hasn't been extended in yet to serve the bottom half the place and give links to Kingston Park etc but that's another thread.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   28 Oct 2023, 9:32 am
(28 Oct 2023, 12:31 am)Unber43 wrote 6322/6328 could be the last buses to run in 2023

Well, no. They can "only" strike until December 22nd before GNE is allowed to sack them.
Andreos1   28 Oct 2023, 9:48 am
(28 Oct 2023, 9:32 am)BusLoverMum wrote Well, no. They can "only" strike until December 22nd before GNE is allowed to sack them.

Imagine if the company sacks the strikers! 
They would be in a right pickle then.

But, having seen and heard the behaviour/comments/logic coming out of GNE Towers, nothing would surprise me.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Pages (47)    122 23 2447