Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat North East GNE Challenge

North East GNE Challenge

North East GNE Challenge

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 35 Next
12 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm)andreos1 What if people don't have Flickr?
A simple attachment of a screen shot on here from one of those apps would be more than enough.

Just been looking at some of the fitness apps and they look as though they would work great.

It's a free service, so there's nothing preventing anyone getting one really. The reason I suggested flickr is because of the way you can tag the photos in that set, and have a running feed of that tag - similar to the #NEBuses one used already.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm #21

(12 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm)andreos1 What if people don't have Flickr?
A simple attachment of a screen shot on here from one of those apps would be more than enough.

Just been looking at some of the fitness apps and they look as though they would work great.

It's a free service, so there's nothing preventing anyone getting one really. The reason I suggested flickr is because of the way you can tag the photos in that set, and have a running feed of that tag - similar to the #NEBuses one used already.

12 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm)aureolin It's a free service, so there's nothing preventing anyone getting one really. The reason I suggested flickr is because of the way you can tag the photos in that set, and have a running feed of that tag - similar to the #NEBuses one used already.

Ah, thought it was a paid service.
Didn't realise it was free.

That was one of the reasons I suggested the apps idea obviously with it being free and easily evidenced - with not having to faff on taking, uploading photo's etc on a system that cost.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm #22

(12 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm)aureolin It's a free service, so there's nothing preventing anyone getting one really. The reason I suggested flickr is because of the way you can tag the photos in that set, and have a running feed of that tag - similar to the #NEBuses one used already.

Ah, thought it was a paid service.
Didn't realise it was free.

That was one of the reasons I suggested the apps idea obviously with it being free and easily evidenced - with not having to faff on taking, uploading photo's etc on a system that cost.

Dan
Site Administrator
12 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

I sense a new contender to the 'Special Event Stream' coming! Tongue

#NEBChallengeNE
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm #23

I sense a new contender to the 'Special Event Stream' coming! Tongue

#NEBChallengeNE

12 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm)Dan I sense a new contender to the 'Special Event Stream' coming! Tongue

#NEBChallengeNE

Maybe Big Grin if enough people are interested in taking part in Northern156's idea, then I reckon we could easily have a couple hundred good quality photos at the end of the day.

Adrian
12 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm #24

(12 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm)Dan I sense a new contender to the 'Special Event Stream' coming! Tongue

#NEBChallengeNE

Maybe Big Grin if enough people are interested in taking part in Northern156's idea, then I reckon we could easily have a couple hundred good quality photos at the end of the day.

12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm
I'd be up for it
Adam
12 Jan 2014, 9:21 pm #25

I'd be up for it

12 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm
Me being a moody person and most of the time preferring my own company, count me out of it. I'm gonna stay well clear of this to the extent I don't even want to be at work. More likely I be somewhere else in the country photoing and riding about on buses. Cool

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
12 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm #26

Me being a moody person and most of the time preferring my own company, count me out of it. I'm gonna stay well clear of this to the extent I don't even want to be at work. More likely I be somewhere else in the country photoing and riding about on buses. Cool

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

12 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm)GMitchelhill Me being a moody person and most of the time preferring my own company, count me out of it. I'm gonna stay well clear of this to the extent I don't even want to be at work. More likely I be somewhere else in the country photoing and riding about on buses. Cool

Just do it by yourself.
Not sure it needs to be done in a team. Chances are if it was done at least one team will have had a falling out by the end of the day over which route, bus or direction to take.

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm #27

(12 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm)GMitchelhill Me being a moody person and most of the time preferring my own company, count me out of it. I'm gonna stay well clear of this to the extent I don't even want to be at work. More likely I be somewhere else in the country photoing and riding about on buses. Cool

Just do it by yourself.
Not sure it needs to be done in a team. Chances are if it was done at least one team will have had a falling out by the end of the day over which route, bus or direction to take.

Dan
Site Administrator
13 Jan 2014, 6:48 am
(12 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm)andreos1 Just do it by yourself.

Indeed if this was going to be an issue (people not wanting to meet up etc), could everyone do it by themselves on a day they wish? We could run it over a week or two so those who have work commitments could do it whenever they wanted.
Let's say the start time was 0830am at Newcastle - your first photo's EXIF info would show this, and you'd continue taking photos of the journeys you had taken until tte agreed finish point. The clock in Haymarket Bus Station is perhaps an idea as a starting point, in fact.
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 6:48 am #28

(12 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm)andreos1 Just do it by yourself.

Indeed if this was going to be an issue (people not wanting to meet up etc), could everyone do it by themselves on a day they wish? We could run it over a week or two so those who have work commitments could do it whenever they wanted.
Let's say the start time was 0830am at Newcastle - your first photo's EXIF info would show this, and you'd continue taking photos of the journeys you had taken until tte agreed finish point. The clock in Haymarket Bus Station is perhaps an idea as a starting point, in fact.

Tom
13 Jan 2014, 7:47 am
(13 Jan 2014, 6:48 am)Dan Indeed if this was going to be an issue (people not wanting to meet up etc), could everyone do it by themselves on a day they wish? We could run it over a week or two so those who have work commitments could do it whenever they wanted.

I'd be up for it either way Wink
Tom
13 Jan 2014, 7:47 am #29

(13 Jan 2014, 6:48 am)Dan Indeed if this was going to be an issue (people not wanting to meet up etc), could everyone do it by themselves on a day they wish? We could run it over a week or two so those who have work commitments could do it whenever they wanted.

I'd be up for it either way Wink

13 Jan 2014, 7:49 am

I think people doing it by themselves if they so wish to would be completely fine, but it'd probs work better done on the same day? Waiting a week or two for a conclusion may take the fun from it somewhat. Work commitments can be a pain but I think if it's organised a good few month in advance it should be ok for people needing time off or what have you.

Adrian
13 Jan 2014, 7:49 am #30

I think people doing it by themselves if they so wish to would be completely fine, but it'd probs work better done on the same day? Waiting a week or two for a conclusion may take the fun from it somewhat. Work commitments can be a pain but I think if it's organised a good few month in advance it should be ok for people needing time off or what have you.

08 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm
Sorry to dig up an old thread, however I have thought of some more challenge ideas:

The one I like most is a points-based system. All groups/ people set off from a central location and then are let off in different directions.
The objective is to score as many 'points' as possible by travelling on as many unique buses as possible - ie not the same ones over and over.
Each type of bus is given a set number of points - for example, Omnicity = 4, Citaro = 3, Volvo B10BLE = 7, Volvo B9 = 3 etc etc etc. Maybe some individual buses can be given a 'bonus' set of points, for example all Citaros are 3 points but 5282 is worth 15.

The groups must provide a photo with valid EXIF data showing when it was taken, of the bus they travelled on otherwise it doesn't count. Registration or fleet number must be visible!
Must be Go North East however I suppose the same could be done for Arriva or Stagecoach on different occasions.

-----
Another idea is a mystery or riddle. Early on the morning of the challenge (or indeed the night before etc) clues can be hidden in various bus stops which lead on to another, for the groups to eventually find the final location at the end (not a main interchange or station, though - somewhere not obvious).
Some of the clues you work out can be riddles or rhymes - which lead the teams onto the next one and so on - until it directs the teams to the final location.

The only thing with this challenge is that there's nothing stopping the teams following each other; so there must be some way to prevent this maybe.

Just some ideas, if you have any more (wild and wacky is ok!) please shout!

Sean

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
08 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm #31

Sorry to dig up an old thread, however I have thought of some more challenge ideas:

The one I like most is a points-based system. All groups/ people set off from a central location and then are let off in different directions.
The objective is to score as many 'points' as possible by travelling on as many unique buses as possible - ie not the same ones over and over.
Each type of bus is given a set number of points - for example, Omnicity = 4, Citaro = 3, Volvo B10BLE = 7, Volvo B9 = 3 etc etc etc. Maybe some individual buses can be given a 'bonus' set of points, for example all Citaros are 3 points but 5282 is worth 15.

The groups must provide a photo with valid EXIF data showing when it was taken, of the bus they travelled on otherwise it doesn't count. Registration or fleet number must be visible!
Must be Go North East however I suppose the same could be done for Arriva or Stagecoach on different occasions.

-----
Another idea is a mystery or riddle. Early on the morning of the challenge (or indeed the night before etc) clues can be hidden in various bus stops which lead on to another, for the groups to eventually find the final location at the end (not a main interchange or station, though - somewhere not obvious).
Some of the clues you work out can be riddles or rhymes - which lead the teams onto the next one and so on - until it directs the teams to the final location.

The only thing with this challenge is that there's nothing stopping the teams following each other; so there must be some way to prevent this maybe.

Just some ideas, if you have any more (wild and wacky is ok!) please shout!

Sean

05 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm
Any more interest in this? Think we'd have to look at sorting out a day to do it pretty soon (probably during half term / end of term?). Weather is getting to be a bit warmer too.

Adrian
05 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm #32

Any more interest in this? Think we'd have to look at sorting out a day to do it pretty soon (probably during half term / end of term?). Weather is getting to be a bit warmer too.

DanPicken
Banned
31 May 2014, 7:22 pm
is this still going to haappen
DanPicken
31 May 2014, 7:22 pm #33

is this still going to haappen

31 May 2014, 8:07 pm
At some point, hopefully yeah! We will need to decide, as a whole, what it is going to be first though?

northern156
31 May 2014, 8:07 pm #34

At some point, hopefully yeah! We will need to decide, as a whole, what it is going to be first though?

Dan
Site Administrator
31 May 2014, 8:36 pm
I'm happy to do owt from 15:30 June 17th onwards Tongue
Dan
31 May 2014, 8:36 pm #35

I'm happy to do owt from 15:30 June 17th onwards Tongue

31 May 2014, 9:12 pm
Partly inspired by the new thing which seems to be taking over twitter - when an envelope full of money is hidden somewhere randomly, with clues published as to its location...

Happy to be the person who hides an envelope and issue a series of clues on here.
Obviously the place would be central for the majority and wouldn't be out in the sticks, with the only access via a minibus, which runs once a day.

All members are eligible to enter, but must use public transport, starting from different points - so there is no chance of being followed or anyone cheating.
Those members who wish to remain anonymous, will also be able to enter, with the chances of being exposed, limited to a similar level as it was at the Metrocentre Rally.
All the winner would need to do, would be upload a photo of the envelope (doesn't need to show face).

No idea what will be in the envelope mind - NEB points possibly?

This doesn't need to be the only idea/event, but may help stimulate interest, as well as running alongside the other suggestions.

Example:

Clue 1. Gateshead
after a short while, to give people a chance to get into Gateshead...

Clue 2. Bronzed - people run about looking for Gaz off Geordie Shore orTanarama and Tanfastic salons
Bit of a break...

Clue 3. Very tall object - people rush to the angel.

Andreos1
31 May 2014, 9:12 pm #36

Partly inspired by the new thing which seems to be taking over twitter - when an envelope full of money is hidden somewhere randomly, with clues published as to its location...

Happy to be the person who hides an envelope and issue a series of clues on here.
Obviously the place would be central for the majority and wouldn't be out in the sticks, with the only access via a minibus, which runs once a day.

All members are eligible to enter, but must use public transport, starting from different points - so there is no chance of being followed or anyone cheating.
Those members who wish to remain anonymous, will also be able to enter, with the chances of being exposed, limited to a similar level as it was at the Metrocentre Rally.
All the winner would need to do, would be upload a photo of the envelope (doesn't need to show face).

No idea what will be in the envelope mind - NEB points possibly?

This doesn't need to be the only idea/event, but may help stimulate interest, as well as running alongside the other suggestions.

Example:

Clue 1. Gateshead
after a short while, to give people a chance to get into Gateshead...

Clue 2. Bronzed - people run about looking for Gaz off Geordie Shore orTanarama and Tanfastic salons
Bit of a break...

Clue 3. Very tall object - people rush to the angel.

31 May 2014, 9:24 pm
(31 May 2014, 9:12 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Clue 2. Bronzed - people run about looking for Gaz off Geordie Shore orTanarama and Tanfastic salons
Bit of a break...

Howay man. Clues like that would mean I'd have to start watching crap like Geordie Shore. I really don't have a clue about what's popular on the box - so there's me dis-advantaged for a start. Sad
MurdnunoC
31 May 2014, 9:24 pm #37

(31 May 2014, 9:12 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Clue 2. Bronzed - people run about looking for Gaz off Geordie Shore orTanarama and Tanfastic salons
Bit of a break...

Howay man. Clues like that would mean I'd have to start watching crap like Geordie Shore. I really don't have a clue about what's popular on the box - so there's me dis-advantaged for a start. Sad

31 May 2014, 9:30 pm
(31 May 2014, 9:24 pm)AdamY Howay man. Clues like that would mean I'd have to start watching crap like Geordie Shore. I really don't have a clue about what's popular on the box - so there's me dis-advantaged for a start. Sad

Don't watch it either, but clues like that may throw people of the scent - purely based on their perceptions.

Was just an example off the top of my head.

I might even stick an envelope on a specific bus and let people track that bus down.

Shame the 638 isn't going still, that would have been fun!

Clue 1: On a bus that travels the world.

Clue 2: Fleet number: xxxx

Clue 3: Fourth seat from the back on the right hand side.

So as well as finding where the heck that bus is and the route it is operating from, the participants have to hope no-one is sitting on that seat and if there is someone in the seat, they're getting off fairly sharpish.

Andreos1
31 May 2014, 9:30 pm #38

(31 May 2014, 9:24 pm)AdamY Howay man. Clues like that would mean I'd have to start watching crap like Geordie Shore. I really don't have a clue about what's popular on the box - so there's me dis-advantaged for a start. Sad

Don't watch it either, but clues like that may throw people of the scent - purely based on their perceptions.

Was just an example off the top of my head.

I might even stick an envelope on a specific bus and let people track that bus down.

Shame the 638 isn't going still, that would have been fun!

Clue 1: On a bus that travels the world.

Clue 2: Fleet number: xxxx

Clue 3: Fourth seat from the back on the right hand side.

So as well as finding where the heck that bus is and the route it is operating from, the participants have to hope no-one is sitting on that seat and if there is someone in the seat, they're getting off fairly sharpish.

31 May 2014, 10:05 pm
The only thing with that is - what is in place to stop people from following each other and becoming a blatant waste of time?

Something similar to Rat Race (film starring Rowan Atkinson and others) would be phenomenal - but that uses different modes of transport! (Not too sure where we would get a helicopter either!!!)

I personally like the Scavenger Hunt type challenge...

northern156
31 May 2014, 10:05 pm #39

The only thing with that is - what is in place to stop people from following each other and becoming a blatant waste of time?

Something similar to Rat Race (film starring Rowan Atkinson and others) would be phenomenal - but that uses different modes of transport! (Not too sure where we would get a helicopter either!!!)

31 May 2014, 10:21 pm
(31 May 2014, 10:05 pm)northern156 The only thing with that is - what is in place to stop people from following each other and becoming a blatant waste of time?

Probably the easiest to do like. Just needs a couple of us to get our heads together and come up with a list of about 50-60 things (keep people occupied that way!). Different ones are worth more points than the others.

Adrian
31 May 2014, 10:21 pm #40

(31 May 2014, 10:05 pm)northern156 The only thing with that is - what is in place to stop people from following each other and becoming a blatant waste of time?

Probably the easiest to do like. Just needs a couple of us to get our heads together and come up with a list of about 50-60 things (keep people occupied that way!). Different ones are worth more points than the others.

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 35 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 75
Views 23987
25 Aug 2020, 9:30 am
Last Post by col87
Replies 77
Views 53072
30 Aug 2014, 9:14 am
Last Post by Adrian