Menu

Pages (13)    14 5 613   
Dan   29 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm
(29 Nov 2013, 5:52 pm)aureolin wrote I dread to think what they had on the 73 then.

They have enough 'proper buses' to cover the amount of vehicles they require, so I'm guessing the 73 would have had a Cadet still but another may have had a Solo instead.
It still baffles me that they use vans when they have enough buses..!
Andreos1   29 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm
There was a Cadet on the 79 on Mon and Tues heading into Burnside Estate about 19.30 ish.

Not sure if the two interwork/combine at any point during the day.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Michael   06 Jan 2014, 3:42 pm
First time ive used compass,the cadet sounds really rough though

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael   06 Jan 2014, 3:58 pm
Bus driver is really happy, bus is a tad rough but its being a quick ride!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cbma06   04 Feb 2014, 6:24 pm
Bus crashes through garden wall in Sunderland street

AN out-of-control minibus ploughed through a garden wall as terrified passengers clung to their seats.

Householder Billy Bryce today told how he was woken by a huge bang as the bus smashed into his Mercedes car before destroying his front garden wall.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/bus-c...-1-6417444

BJ10VUS   27 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm
Compass were using one of their Volkswagen minibuses on the 515 and 558 today.
Dan   27 Mar 2014, 6:18 pm
(27 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Compass were using one of their Volkswagen minibuses on the 515 and 558 today.

No doubt a van was on the 37/8X!
Malarkey   27 Mar 2014, 7:32 pm
(27 Mar 2014, 6:18 pm)Dan wrote No doubt a van was on the 37/8X!

Nope it was another one of those VW Contraptions
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   27 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm
(27 Mar 2014, 7:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Nope it was another one of those VW Contraptions

Odd - thought they only had YX09EUD...
Malarkey   27 Mar 2014, 8:10 pm
(27 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm)Dan wrote Odd - thought they only had YX09EUD...

Think there might be 2, although there could of been a Vehicle swap at some point this Afternoon.
Malarkey   27 Mar 2014, 8:19 pm
Only one VW Contraption, so it must of been a Vehicle Change
http://www.northeastbus.co.uk/companies/...mtrans.htm
Diamond One   29 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm
saw a rare working on 515 today hows about this the small Volkswagen bus on there i nickname it the little midget cause its Tiny the bus
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   01 Apr 2014, 3:17 pm
(27 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm)Dan wrote Odd - thought they only had YX09EUD...

It appears they now also have YX08KXO ex-Widnes Commercial Motors.
Dan   19 Apr 2014, 10:22 am
Y32HBT was recently involved in a RTA, but is currently undergoing repairs by DiagTest.
Andreos1   20 May 2014, 7:13 pm
The Solo operating the 79 today had a few issues with its blind.
It had come loose and was slowly falling face down on itself.

Jimmi   29 May 2014, 9:30 am
On VOSA this morning:

PB1074031/7 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Sunderland Interchange and Tunstall Bank Estate given service number 38 effective from 27-Jul-2014.

PB1074031/9 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Heworth Interchange and Hebburn given service number 515 effective from 27-Jul-2014.

PB1074031/10 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between DENE ESTATE, SEABURN and HEWORTH METRO STAND ( INTERCHANGE) given service number 558 effective from 27-Jul-2014.

PB1074031/12 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between WASHINGTON CONCORDE BUS STATION and SUNDERLAND PARK LANE INTERCHANGE given service number 73 effective from 27-Jul-2014
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   29 May 2014, 9:33 am
Interesting. Providing another registration isn't submitted, does this mean that the only work Compass will have is services 37 and 8X?
Tom   29 May 2014, 9:34 am
(29 May 2014, 9:33 am)Dan wrote Interesting. Providing another registration isn't submitted, does this mean that the only work Compass will have is services 37 and 8X?

Yeah it is. I guess so, as I don't think they'd cancel it and re-register it?
Andreos1   29 May 2014, 9:39 am
(29 May 2014, 9:33 am)Dan wrote Interesting. Providing another registration isn't submitted, does this mean that the only work Compass will have is services 37 and 8X?

and the 79.

Michael   29 May 2014, 9:48 am
I wonder who will get the 38C and 73 then!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   30 May 2014, 9:53 am
VOSA today:

PB1074031/5 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP
Variation Accepted: Operating between Washington Galleries and Doxford Park Shops given service number 37 effective from 27-Jul-2014. To amend Timetable.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   03 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm
Another day, another dawn...

Compass allocated Iveco MX06CTY to services 37/8X today, with a paper destination display hardly even being visible behind the driver's wiper.

What's more irritating, is that for the first time, I saw the ticketing process that goes on on these 'vans'. Without ticket machines for obvious reasons, I saw the driver of service 37 issuing green paper slips on which he had to write the ticket details with a pen. The driver subsequently ripped part of this green paper slip away from the main part of the book, very much like a raffle ticket book.

Following on from discussion in the Gateshead Central Taxis thread - an operator also renowned for operating 'van-like' buses on their contracted services - it begs the question: Why are these operators still being awarded contracts? While I can understand that it makes commercial sense to Nexus to award these contracts on the basis of the cheapest bid, it does make you wonder why Nexus cannot see that the quality of the bus service is immensely low (especially on contracts previously operated by some of the bigger operators and/or the contracts which are jointly operated by one big operator and one smaller independent).

Without getting too off-topic (as I appreciate we have a separate thread for this), with the threat of Quality Contracts upon us, it makes you wonder whether the parties who put in the cheapest bid will continue to be awarded these contracts - regardless of the quality provided by these operators... Or, does that appeal more, given that fines will be issued? Huh
Andreos1   03 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm)Dan wrote Another day, another dawn...

Compass allocated Iveco MX06CTY to services 37/8X today, with a paper destination display hardly even being visible behind the driver's wiper.

What's more irritating, is that for the first time, I saw the ticketing process that goes on on these 'vans'. Without ticket machines for obvious reasons, I saw the driver of service 37 issuing green paper slips on which he had to write the ticket details with a pen. The driver subsequently ripped part of this green paper slip away from the main part of the book, very much like a raffle ticket book.

Following on from discussion in the Gateshead Central Taxis thread - an operator also renowned for operating 'van-like' buses on their contracted services - it begs the question: Why are these operators still being awarded contracts? While I can understand that it makes commercial sense to Nexus to award these contracts on the basis of the cheapest bid, it does make you wonder why Nexus cannot see that the quality of the bus service is immensely low (especially on contracts previously operated by some of the bigger operators and/or the contracts which are jointly operated by one big operator and one smaller independent).

Without getting too off-topic (as I appreciate we have a separate thread for this), with the threat of Quality Contracts upon us, it makes you wonder whether the parties who put in the cheapest bid will continue to be awarded these contracts - regardless of the quality provided by these operators... Or, does that appeal more, given that fines will be issued? Huh

The 79 had the vehicle normally allocated to the 37 again today.
No idea where the normal Solo is.

Re QCS/Nexus contract, does the vehicle meet the contract spec?
If it does - great. If not - is it any different to one of the other contractors sticking an unsuitable vehicle on a Nexus contracted route?

Regardless, something needs to be done regarding the 'quality' of the vehicles.

Dan   03 Jun 2014, 9:51 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The 79 had the vehicle normally allocated to the 37 again today.
No idea where the normal Solo is.

Re QCS/Nexus contract, does the vehicle meet the contract spec?
If it does - great. If not - is it any different to one of the other contractors sticking an unsuitable vehicle on a Nexus contracted route?

Regardless, something needs to be done regarding the 'quality' of the vehicles.

Was that the vehicle that is meant to be allocated to the 37 (the Bluebird with a destination display) or the vehicle which is usually allocated to the 37 (an Iveco van)?

No, I don't believe it does. I think it was gtom who got in touch with Nexus regarding the use of vans and non-Nexus liveried vehicles before, and he was told the vans were only meant to be allocated when no other vehicles were available. We can see the amount of fines CCT have amassed each period in the documents aureolin shared recently - quite high given they have so few contracts.

Comparing the Compass 37 and the GNE 37 - although the vehicles GNE allocate may not be Nexus liveried all of the time, they are almost always Euro 5 (I can only recall two instances where this has not been so) and have always had working destination displays. There is no issue with quality for GNE.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   03 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 9:51 pm)Dan wrote Was that the vehicle that is meant to be allocated to the 37 (the Bluebird with a destination display) or the vehicle which is usually allocated to the 37 (an Iveco van)?

No, I don't believe it does. I think it was gtom who got in touch with Nexus regarding the use of vans and non-Nexus liveried vehicles before, and he was told the vans were only meant to be allocated when no other vehicles were available. We can see the amount of fines CCT have amassed each period in the documents aureolin shared recently - quite high given they have so few contracts.

Comparing the Compass 37 and the GNE 37 - although the vehicles GNE allocate may not be Nexus liveried all of the time, they are almost always Euro 5 (I can only recall two instances where this has not been so) and have always had working destination displays. There is no issue with quality for GNE.

The Bluebird.
My schedule on a morning is a bit out of kilter, so don't see the first 37 of the day like I used to. It always tended to be the Bluebird whenever I have seen it though - either when popping to see the folks or doing whatever it is I have to do.

Who mentioned GNE and their workings on the 37 or other Nexus contracts :p
Apart from drivers not knowing about Nexus tickets (almost as bad as Belmont ANE drivers) and whether the service can accept them, their allocation usually does meet the spec.
I can't recall not seeing a Solo of some description on the 37 - but that should be the case, given the size of the fleet and proportion of suitable vehicles, compared to a smaller independent, such as Compass.

However, we all know GNE have a record, just look at that document of aureolins you mentioned Wink

Dan   03 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The Bluebird.
My schedule on a morning is a bit out of kilter, so don't see the first 37 of the day like I used to. It always tended to be the Bluebird whenever I have seen it though - either when popping to see the folks or doing whatever it is I have to do.

Who mentioned GNE and their workings on the 37 or other Nexus contracts :p
Apart from drivers not knowing about Nexus tickets (almost as bad as Belmont ANE drivers) and whether the service can accept them, their allocation usually does meet the spec.
I can't recall not seeing a Solo of some description on the 37 - but that should be the case, given the size of the fleet and proportion of suitable vehicles, compared to a smaller independent, such as Compass.

However, we all know GNE have a record, just look at that document of aureolins you mentioned Wink

The usual allocation is one of the vans. An enthusiast I talk to actually informs me of when something besides a van turns up, given that it interworks with the evening 8X service and it may be worthy of a photograph.

Regarding CCT's allocations...
I am not aware of a Cadet having ever been allocated to service 37. It is very rare for a Solo to turn up on the 37 (more common on Sunday 8X), the Bluebird used to be the regular until the Cadets were brought in, and ever since, it has seemingly been a van with the odd working being the Bluebird these days.

You mentioned other contractors? It therefore did seem appropriate to mention that the Go North East variation of service 37 is usually operated to a much higher standard than that set by Compass - like I say, the vehicles Go North East allocate always have a destination display and are Euro 5 99% of the time (although this can be in the form of the Sunderland Connect backup or indeed a SimpliCity Versa).

Go North East do have a 'record', but is this not to be expected when you consider the amount of contracts/tendered services they operate compared to the likes of Compass? Perhaps if I have a few minutes tomorrow, I will sort the spreadsheet which aureolin uploaded with Nexus' contracts for 2013/14. Should shed some light on the differences in the amount of contracts, and then give us some numbers to work on for the fines gained in one period.

I really cannot see issues with quality on Go North East's half, but if you can, so be it...
Adrian   03 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm
I'd say the non-compliance fines for an operator of GNE's size are worrying, and certainly shouldn't be expected. The expectation should be zero, and I'd be very surprised if someone at exec level isn't targeting at that. I do agree though that 9/10 the non-compliance fine doesn't impact on customer quality.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Andreos1   03 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm)Dan wrote The usual allocation is one of the vans. An enthusiast I talk to actually informs me of when something besides a van turns up, given that it interworks with the evening 8X service and it may be worthy of a photograph.

It is very rare for a Solo to turn up on the 37, the Bluebird used to be the regular until the Cadets were brought in, and ever since, it has seemingly been a van with the odd working being the Bluebird these days.

You mentioned other contractors? It therefore did seem appropriate to mention that the Go North East variation of service 37 is usually operated to a much higher standard than that set by Compass - like I say, the vehicles Go North East allocate always have a destination display and are Euro 5 99% of the time (although this can be in the form of the Sunderland Connect backup or indeed a SimpliCity Versa).

Go North East do have a 'record', but is this not to be expected when you consider the amount of contracts/tendered services they operate compared to the likes of Compass? I really cannot see issues with quality on Go North East's half, but if you can, so be it...

Will have to keep my eyes open next time I pop round to the folks (the 37 is the only bus that serves their estate), with the house in view of the bus stop.
As I say, it tends to be the Bluebird whenever I am round theirs - but if your enthusiast friend says it is the van, so be it...

Mind, I never said there was a quality issue with the GNE allocation to the 37 or any other bus that is allocated to it, commenting on the fact a Solo is the usual allocation...

What I did say, was that they have a record - look at the fines for non-compliance.

I haven't done any maths, but it will be interesting to see fines vs the fleet size/suitable vehicles to see if these smaller independents are as bad as made out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   03 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm)aureolin wrote I'd say the non-compliance fines for an operator of GNE's size are worrying, and certainly shouldn't be expected. The expectation should be zero, and I'd be very surprised if someone at exec level isn't targeting at that. I do agree though that 9/10 the non-compliance fine doesn't impact on customer quality.

The expectation should be zero? In an ideal world, perhaps. In reality; vehicles will always break down, there will often be traffic issues, and unforeseen VORs can often lead to depots struggling a lot more than usual (indeed there was one period last year where both of Deptford's "Nexus" branded Solos were VOR for quite some time).

I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure the level of non-compliance fines will be higher for the likes of CCT/GCT when taking into account the number of contracts operated. eezypeazy did mention this in the thread you made originally.
Dan   03 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm
(03 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Will have to keep my eyes open next time I pop round to the folks (the 37 is the only bus that serves their estate), with the house in view of the bus stop.
As I say, it tends to be the Bluebird whenever I am round theirs - but if your enthusiast friend says it is the van, so be it...

Mind, I never said there was a quality issue with the GNE allocation to the 37 or any other bus that is allocated to it, commenting on the fact a Solo is the usual allocation...

What I did say, was that they have a record - look at the fines for non-compliance.

I haven't done any maths, but it will be interesting to see fines vs the fleet size/suitable vehicles to see if these smaller independents are as bad as made out.

I can't do anything other than repeat myself, and as I'm sure you've read my posts, I shan't.

Regarding fleet size - should we not be looking at spare vehicle percentage at each depot (or overall company) opposed to the fleet size in total? I'm not aware of any documents available on the public domain that do allow us to have such information, though

We must remember that Go North East often don't have control over the amount of spare vehicles that they have, as Go-Ahead will set group targets in which operators have to comply. If they set a target of 12% spare vehicles at each depot, Percy Main can't be having 18% whilst a depot for Brighton and Hove is actually meeting the 12% target.

Smaller independents such as CCT do have control over this - their limiting factor is the amount of revenue which they generate. Mind, that's not a great deal, given the amount of fines they get!
Pages (13)    14 5 613