You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Compass Community Transport
(18 Aug 2013, 7:57 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I think that despite their use of the Iveco, their fleet is actually decent. Isn't their newest vehicle is an 08-reg Solo(?) and their oldest a Y-reg Solo(?) - so it's not particularly 'old' for an independent.

Far from it, not old at all.
I have done enough maths for tonight, so not sure what the average age of their fleet is.

Rather than the age of the fleet, it's probably the suitability of it with regard to the contract requirements.
(18 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote Far from it, not old at all.
I have done enough maths for tonight, so not sure what the average age of their fleet is.

Rather than the age of the fleet, it's probably the suitability of it with regard to the contract requirements.

Average fleet age is 10 years.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
If a Nexus Bus livery is actually required, surely nothing meets contract requirements?
Excluding that, they have 8 members of the fleet that are suitable.
I assume the two P&R branded ones meet the contract requirement too, given they're actually branded for it and it is the council that pays for those rather than Nexus if I am correct?
(18 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)Daniel wrote If a Nexus Bus livery is actually required, surely nothing meets contract requirements?

To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is
Site Administrator
(18 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)BJ10VUS wrote To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is

Nexus can't have that sort of attitude if/when QCS comes along...
(18 Aug 2013, 8:14 pm)BJ10VUS wrote To be honest, the majority of the Taxi Bus services, nor A-Line have anything in Nexus Bus livery - so it's not just Compass. I think people are more concerned about whether a bus turns up - not what colour it is

The whole point in the livery was Nexus throwing their weight about, and putting the "we're paying for this" stamp onto the services. It's their prerogative I suppose. I've asked the question a few times of Nexus but never had anything near a sensible answer back.

But the issue that first brought this up was that someone missed a bus because they didn't realise it was the bus. (does that make sense?)

Anyhoo, they've signed a contract, they know the requirements, they should meet that contract and its requirements

TaxiBus is a different thing, looking on their own forum Nexus look to be aware of the limitations of the taxi bus.
(18 Aug 2013, 8:47 pm)gtomlinson wrote But the issue that first brought this up was that someone missed a bus because they didn't realise it was the bus. (does that make sense?)

Anyhoo, they've signed a contract, they know the requirements, they should meet that contract and its requirements

TaxiBus is a different thing, looking on their own forum Nexus look to be aware of the limitations of the taxi bus.

Agree - someone asked a similar question on the Nexus Forums regarding Arriva using corporate liveried solos on Nexus Bus routes. The Nexus response being "We expect to see branded buses on the routes we pay for using public funds unless there are operational problems."

http://www.nexus.org.uk/nexusbus-arriva
(18 Aug 2013, 8:51 pm)aureolin wrote Agree - someone asked a similar question on the Nexus Forums regarding Arriva using corporate liveried solos on Nexus Bus routes. The Nexus response being "We expect to see branded buses on the routes we pay for using public funds unless there are operational problems."

http://www.nexus.org.uk/nexusbus-arriva

I believe Compass claimed the Solo and Bluebird were VOR.
Site Administrator
YJ53VEA is on 23s today, according to the destination blind of the vehicle. Must also be taking a very long diversion through Sunderland too..
One passenger still got on the bus too!
(20 Aug 2013, 3:19 pm)Daniel wrote YJ53VEA is on 23s today, according to the destination blind of the vehicle. Must also be taking a very long diversion through Sunderland too..
One passenger still got on the bus too!

They're probably still riding about on it now waiting to get to Birtley Big Grin
Site Administrator
(20 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm)aureolin wrote They're probably still riding about on it now waiting to get to Birtley Big Grin

Two hours later, 'Driver... Are we there yet?' :p

Have no idea how the driver managed to key '23' in rather than '73' though. Makes no sense!
Maybe they've not been trained in that department yet, hence the need of vans? Rolleyes
(20 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm)aureolin wrote They're probably still riding about on it now waiting to get to Birtley Big Grin

Eeeh Edna, this bus is getting worse. Which part of Springwell is this?
Site Administrator
Hurrah! Our complaints appear to be getting somewhere...
The Tucanna is being used on 8X today. The Tucanna was previously allocated to the 8X a lot as it interworks with the 37, and the odd Solo has crept up once or twice before as well, but these services have both been allocated vans in recent weeks.

Good to see that things are finally starting to happen! I still doubt we will see Nexus liveried vehicles any time soon though.
PB1074031/13 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between BIRTLEY and WASHINGTON GALLERIES BUS STATION given service number 23 effective from 16-Nov-2013.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(26 Sep 2013, 12:02 pm)Michael wrote PB1074031/13 - COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT LTD T/A COMPASS COMMUNITY TRANSPORT, UNITS 11 - 12, SANDMERE ROAD, LEECHMERE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, SUNDERLAND, SR2 9TP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between BIRTLEY and WASHINGTON GALLERIES BUS STATION given service number 23 effective from 16-Nov-2013.

Isn't this a shared contract with another operator? Think compass and Stanley Taxis have a board each or something?
(26 Sep 2013, 5:46 pm)aureolin wrote Isn't this a shared contract with another operator? Think compass and Stanley Taxis have a board each or something?

Compass' board on service 23 is up for tender from Nexus from the above date. I assume this means Compass are not going to bid.... The closing date hasn't passed yet so no-one would possibly know the answer (I've got the dates somewhere for each stage of tendering)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(31 Oct 2013, 10:57 pm)gtomlinson wrote GNE have won 23 contract from coming Monday alongside current operator Stanley

I though it was going to be Phoenix?
(31 Oct 2013, 11:01 pm)Mark1 wrote I though it was going to be Phoenix?

It is Phoenix, as they have registered it, whereas GNE haven't. And it doesn't change hands until the 18th November.
(31 Oct 2013, 11:01 pm)Mark1 wrote I though it was going to be Phoenix?

It is indeed, starting on the 18th November.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(01 Nov 2013, 6:37 am)aureolin wrote What happened?

Long winded story but I was doing some staff welfare visits up in Springwell so caught the 23 off Station Lane and it was the Iveco van (complete with A4 paper)

Loads of older folk and a few with buggies had to let it pass whining away at the Compass driver. Driver shrugged shoulders and said they'd lost the contract over complaints and that GNE were taking it over alongside Stanley

Which is obviously not the case as its Phoenix
Last 2 days of operation on the 23 for Compass if anyone wants to capture for posterity/boo as they pass
Site Administrator
Anyone know if Compass have gotten rid of their two vans branded for the Royal Hospital Park and Ride scheme? Two normal vans have been allocated for the past few days, though I only get the chance to see these meet at the Kayll Road/Chester Road junction (which isn't all too often), so I may have just missed them.
Site Administrator
A rare working on Wednesday saw Compass using a Cadet on the 37/8X cycle - believe it was a Cadet's debut on there!
Re: RE: Compass Community Transport
(29 Nov 2013, 8:05 am)Dan wrote A rare working on Wednesday saw Compass using a Cadet on the 37/8X cycle - believe it was a Cadet's debut on there!

I dread to think what they had on the 73 then.