Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Consett to Newcastle Rail Link feasability study goes ahead

Consett to Newcastle Rail Link feasability study goes ahead

Consett to Newcastle Rail Link feasability study goes ahead

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Adrian

28 Nov 2020, 9:02 pm #21
(26 Nov 2020, 7:21 am)MurdnunoC As much as he likes to harp on about a 'direct link' between Consett and Metrocentre, there really isn't that many large communities if the line went down the Derwent Walk. There's only really Shotley Bridge and Rowlands Gill which would benefit from stations. The rest of the line is decisively rural. Stations at Ebchester, High/Low Westwood, and Winlaton Mill are too far away from the villages they'll serve and I don't see the point of reopening the station at Lintz Green.

The most likely route will be the one closed in 1984 which is now the Sunderland - Consett cycleway which would probably see stations at Leadgate, Anfield Plain, Stanley, Beamish and Pelton before rejoining the ECML at Ouston Junction. That would serve the most communities and would probably see the most growth.

I had never thought about that, but I agree that is the best option. 

There's a lot of marks who believe that Richard Holden will get them the Metro, but I just cannot see it being feasible. Even if they reduced the journey time to what you suggest earlier, I don't think that provides enough of an economic benefit over the bus link. 

GNE have been doing a lot of work in Consett lately in an attempt to get over. I know the express stuff was a force of hand because of the Newcastle clean air zone, but there's also been the work and promotion done around the local Venture network.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Nov 2020, 9:02 pm #21

(26 Nov 2020, 7:21 am)MurdnunoC As much as he likes to harp on about a 'direct link' between Consett and Metrocentre, there really isn't that many large communities if the line went down the Derwent Walk. There's only really Shotley Bridge and Rowlands Gill which would benefit from stations. The rest of the line is decisively rural. Stations at Ebchester, High/Low Westwood, and Winlaton Mill are too far away from the villages they'll serve and I don't see the point of reopening the station at Lintz Green.

The most likely route will be the one closed in 1984 which is now the Sunderland - Consett cycleway which would probably see stations at Leadgate, Anfield Plain, Stanley, Beamish and Pelton before rejoining the ECML at Ouston Junction. That would serve the most communities and would probably see the most growth.

I had never thought about that, but I agree that is the best option. 

There's a lot of marks who believe that Richard Holden will get them the Metro, but I just cannot see it being feasible. Even if they reduced the journey time to what you suggest earlier, I don't think that provides enough of an economic benefit over the bus link. 

GNE have been doing a lot of work in Consett lately in an attempt to get over. I know the express stuff was a force of hand because of the Newcastle clean air zone, but there's also been the work and promotion done around the local Venture network.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

MurdnunoC

29 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm #22
(28 Nov 2020, 9:02 pm)Adrian I had never thought about that, but I agree that is the best option. 

Indeed. 

The feasibility study is not going to amount to much and, if we can be serious for a moment, it's probably a huge waste of the millions of pounds that it will cost to carry out.
MurdnunoC
29 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm #22

(28 Nov 2020, 9:02 pm)Adrian I had never thought about that, but I agree that is the best option. 

Indeed. 

The feasibility study is not going to amount to much and, if we can be serious for a moment, it's probably a huge waste of the millions of pounds that it will cost to carry out.

ne14ne1

29 Nov 2020, 5:40 pm #23
(29 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm)MurdnunoC Indeed. 

Some said that about the Northumberland Line project which now has its 6 new stations going through planning. Wink
ne14ne1
29 Nov 2020, 5:40 pm #23

(29 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm)MurdnunoC Indeed. 

Some said that about the Northumberland Line project which now has its 6 new stations going through planning. Wink

MurdnunoC

29 Nov 2020, 6:01 pm #24
(29 Nov 2020, 5:40 pm)ne14ne1 Some said that about the Northumberland Line project which now has its 6 new stations going through planning. Wink

But there's a huge difference between the two. The Northumberland Line remained in use whereas the lines to Consett were lifted, perhaps with haste. Possibly a better example to use would have been the Waverley Line where the campaign to reinstate the line was stronger with more political expediency attached. I have no doubt that DRAG (Derwentside Rail Action Group) were committed to retaining the railway for passenger use in 1984 but they've hardly been a presence in the area since then and, sadly, I think the current effort to reintroduce railways to the area comes 40 years too late.
MurdnunoC
29 Nov 2020, 6:01 pm #24

(29 Nov 2020, 5:40 pm)ne14ne1 Some said that about the Northumberland Line project which now has its 6 new stations going through planning. Wink

But there's a huge difference between the two. The Northumberland Line remained in use whereas the lines to Consett were lifted, perhaps with haste. Possibly a better example to use would have been the Waverley Line where the campaign to reinstate the line was stronger with more political expediency attached. I have no doubt that DRAG (Derwentside Rail Action Group) were committed to retaining the railway for passenger use in 1984 but they've hardly been a presence in the area since then and, sadly, I think the current effort to reintroduce railways to the area comes 40 years too late.

29 Nov 2020, 6:19 pm #25
I'm genuinely struggling to think of a reason why they would even bother reinstating the line. To me, it seems like a complete waste of money, plus I can't see the demand being high enough to make it financially viable.

Sure, it's going to probably knock 15 or so minutes of the journey time compared to taking the bus, but is that worth the tens of millions it's going to cost?

Plus, I personally find taking the bus much more convenient, there's no need to traipse to a train station, just to the end of the street.
streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2020, 6:19 pm #25

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a reason why they would even bother reinstating the line. To me, it seems like a complete waste of money, plus I can't see the demand being high enough to make it financially viable.

Sure, it's going to probably knock 15 or so minutes of the journey time compared to taking the bus, but is that worth the tens of millions it's going to cost?

Plus, I personally find taking the bus much more convenient, there's no need to traipse to a train station, just to the end of the street.

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average