North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(25 Jan 2019, 9:17 am)RBZ 5459 wrote [ -> ] Streetlites for the 4 does seem to be the motion from what I hear. 

On another note, also hearing that the first Cobalt Clipper B9s have now left for Blackburn for their refurbishment programme.

Painful. 
For what is a stop/start route and has a high turnover of passengers, those Mercs have more than proven themselves from a passenger perspective since they arrived in October 13. 
They're in the main; sturdy, solid and provide a comfortable ride. 
I can't honestly see a Streetlite doing the same over any intervening 5 year period. 
I'd be more than happy for a cascade of Omni's on to the 4, rather than a newer Streetlite.
(26 Jan 2019, 9:33 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Painful. 
For what is a stop/start route and has a high turnover of passengers, those Mercs have more than proven themselves from a passenger perspective since they arrived in October 13. 
I can't honestly see a Streetlite doing the same over any intervening 5 year period. 
I'd be more than happy for a cascade of Omni's on to the 4, rather than a newer Streetlite.

I still find it funny that I've always liked streetlites as a passenger and nothing has changed with driving them fairly frequently now. I think the main problem I have is the emergency exit rattles but I've seen bempacks fix them up. The disabled bay pole is also a nightmare, but other than those two caveats no issues at all from me. Fast, reliably warm and fairly comfortable.
Totally agree. Heavy duty bus for heavy duty route. Don't think streetlights would cut it. A driver I spoke to the other day referred to them as the modern Dennis darts. Have to agree

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Aye 100% agree, Streetlites would be rubbish on the 4, should stick to the Merc's... however, it'll get to a point where they'll need replacing, hopefully at that time, they choose something wisely.
(26 Jan 2019, 7:08 am)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]My guess is omnidekkas or b7s
Depending on PVR for the 56, couldn't 6100 be put into a CC because that promotional branding was only for march last year? Then 6117 or 6115 can stay backups
I think the 4 red kite B9s should also get the internal refurb. They're the newest but also below spec.
(26 Jan 2019, 11:51 am)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]I think the 4 red kite B9s should also get the internal refurb. They're the newest but also below spec.
Aren't they lothian interior as they were bought on batch?
(26 Jan 2019, 11:53 am)JM03 wrote [ -> ]Aren't they lothian interior as they were bought on batch?
Not sure, but no chargers/NSA.
(26 Jan 2019, 11:53 am)JM03 wrote [ -> ]Aren't they lothian interior as they were bought on batch?
No, bog standard Volvo dealer stock spec.

The red seat moquette isn't Lothian's.

Martijn Gilbert's (MD) post has photos of ex/interior of trial Versa on loan for Connections4:

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE
(26 Jan 2019, 9:41 am)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]I still find it funny that I've always liked streetlites as a passenger and nothing has changed with driving them fairly frequently now. I think the main problem I have is the emergency exit rattles but I've seen bempacks fix them up. The disabled bay pole is also a nightmare, but other than those two caveats no issues at all from me. Fast, reliably warm and fairly comfortable.
Seeif you can get some overtime at Deptford and try driving them up Houghton Cut. Manage the slip-road fine. Then it would be quicker getting out and walking (probably less whiplash too Wink
The engine management on them is shocking. 

I've stuck the internal measurements on here previously. 
Those few mm's saved in material and fuel costs may look good on a balance sheet somewhere, possibly a bit better than the view passengers get on a crowded, sweaty Streetlite. 

(26 Jan 2019, 9:46 am)Swiny1 wrote [ -> ]Totally agree.  Heavy duty bus for heavy duty route. Don't think streetlights would cut it. A driver I spoke to the other day referred to them as the modern Dennis darts . Have to agree

I've said similar in the past. 
Always hoped there would be a Streetlite 2, like the National. 
I'm still hoping... 

(26 Jan 2019, 10:57 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]Aye 100% agree, Streetlites would be rubbish on the 4, should stick to the Merc's... however, it'll get to a point where they'll need replacing, hopefully at that time, they choose something wisely.

Totally agree that they will need replacing in the end, just can't help feeling that these rumoured changes are too soon and the suggested replacement not good enough.
(26 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm)Venturego wrote [ -> ]Martijn Gilbert's (MD) post has photos of ex/interior of trial Versa on loan for Connections4:

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE

Like the wireless charging points, however I'm hoping for B8RLE/ Wright Eclipse 3 instead of more versas or streetlites
I remember when 9092 was at Washington in November 2017 for two weeks on demonstration it could not keep to time and the two times I seen it out in service it was running 20 minutes late, if these were purchased for the 4 the timetable would need overhauling to build in more recovery time which would increase the PVR. I certainly wouldn't say they are fast either, personally would rather keep the mercs and refurb them to the current fleet specification for new vehicles than buy streetlites.
(26 Jan 2019, 6:34 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]I remember when 9092 was at Washington in November 2017 for two weeks on demonstration it could not keep to time and the two times I seen it out in service it was running 20 minutes late, if these were purchased for the 4 the timetable would need overhauling to build in more recovery time which would increase the PVR. I certainly wouldn't say they are fast either, personally would rather keep the mercs and refurb them to the current fleet specification for new vehicles than buy streetlites.
The Streetlites are nippy little things. Dare say they'd give a Merc a good run for its money.

They've an awful reputation amongst enthusiasts but really aren't bad buses.

(26 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The Streetlites are nippy little things. Dare say they'd give a Merc a good run for its money.

But would it give a Wright Renown a run for it's money though?

Tell you what you and Jamie can have a drag race down Washy Highway one night obviously sticking to the permitted speed limit, my money is still on the Merc  Tongue
(26 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The Streetlites are nippy little things. Dare say they'd give a Merc a good run for its money.

The only things I don't like about travelling on the Streetlites is the suspension is a bit too firm and that God awful rattle on the emergency exit! Other than that I do quite like it.
Given the option though, I think I would prefer to travel on the Mercedes, assuming they renew the foam on the seats, when they were refurbished they either didn't bother renewing the foam or they replaced it with air as you can feel the base of the seats through the leather. But the ride is so much smoother

I had a K11 Nissan Micra years ago.
It was a nippy little thing and did what it was designed to do. The engine was reliable and the fuel economy was ideal. 
However, when it came to pushing it beyond the 'city' and filling it with people or stuff in the boot, it was far from ideal.
Compare that to the Merc GLA (similar seating capacity) that I've been pootling about in, there's no comparison.
Fuel efficiency might be out, but the more powerful Merc, drives and rides a lot better.
(26 Jan 2019, 9:41 am)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]I still find it funny that I've always liked streetlites as a passenger and nothing has changed with driving them fairly frequently now. I think the main problem I have is the emergency exit rattles but I've seen bempacks fix them up. The disabled bay pole is also a nightmare, but other than those two caveats no issues at all from me. Fast, reliably warm and fairly comfortable.

The gne syreetlites might be warm but, unlike the ane 22 syreetlites, they have heating. The ane ones are hot in summer and 3ven colder than park Lane interchange in winter. The gne ones have overhead blowers that boil your brains into gelatine.

The gne syreetlites might be warm but, unlike the ane 22 syreetlites, they have heating. The ane ones are hot in summer and 3ven colder than park Lane interchange in winter. The gne ones have overhead blowers that boil your brains into gelatine.
(27 Jan 2019, 1:05 am)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]The gne syreetlites might be warm but, unlike the ane 22 syreetlites, they have heating. The ane ones are hot in summer and 3ven colder than park Lane interchange in winter. The gne ones have overhead blowers that boil your brains into gelatine.

I have travelled for 30 years (and used to work at gne) and I think the street lites are amongst the worst buses ever purchased. Look ok inside but the passenger journey is awful. I hope what people are saying about the new MD disliking them is true. Please

Being that most of the streetlites at Riverside are 66 plate (49s) except the 4 on the X66 are different engined, these as the same with the Durham Diamond examples at Stanley are fast, warm and fairly comfortable, which i would expect for their age. However the Diamond examples on the X30 when they appear they struggle with gear choice on Dunston Bank which the red Kite examples don't. I have experience in driving the earlier Streetlites from the C & C and Red Kites, which i find are very uncomfortable, cab rattles, cab window rattles, heating is on some examples intermittent (turn some off after 2 hours driving and the heating goes completely cold, taking 30-45 mins to return), slow on the hills and the reversing is nothing short of embarrassing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17