Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Events (Elsewhere) Lothian Buses open day

Lothian Buses open day

Lothian Buses open day

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next
Davie

Banned

18 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm #1
Does anybody know when the Lothian buses open day this year will be?
Thanks,
Davie
Davie
18 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm #1

Does anybody know when the Lothian buses open day this year will be?
Thanks,
Davie

Malarkey

18 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm #2
Usually it is in September.
Malarkey
18 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm #2

Usually it is in September.

Davie

Banned

18 Jun 2015, 4:43 pm #3
(18 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm)Malarkey Usually it is in September.

Thanks, Malarkey.
Davie
18 Jun 2015, 4:43 pm #3

(18 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm)Malarkey Usually it is in September.

Thanks, Malarkey.

Davie

Banned

19 Jun 2015, 1:14 am #4
(18 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm)Davie Does anybody know when the Lothian buses open day this year will be?
Thanks,
Davie

Here's some news off last year's event http://lothianbuses.com/about-us/community/events
Davie
19 Jun 2015, 1:14 am #4

(18 Jun 2015, 2:41 pm)Davie Does anybody know when the Lothian buses open day this year will be?
Thanks,
Davie

Here's some news off last year's event http://lothianbuses.com/about-us/community/events

Malarkey

12 Aug 2015, 11:38 am #5
I can confirm the Lothian Open Doors event will be held on the 26th September.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barberbus/20503283702/
Malarkey
12 Aug 2015, 11:38 am #5

I can confirm the Lothian Open Doors event will be held on the 26th September.

Davie

Banned

12 Aug 2015, 11:48 am #6
(12 Aug 2015, 11:38 am)Malarkey I can confirm the Lothian Open Doors event will be held on the 26th September.

Thanks Malarkey!
Davie
12 Aug 2015, 11:48 am #6

(12 Aug 2015, 11:38 am)Malarkey I can confirm the Lothian Open Doors event will be held on the 26th September.

Thanks Malarkey!

12 Aug 2015, 11:58 am #7
08:40 from Newcastle up to Edinburgh for me (booked HST) and I imagine any train between 16:00 and 17:00 back down. I'll likely spend as long as I need at the event, then see how the Lothian Buses network is for myself (despite several trips to Edinburgh, I've never made a journey on a Lothian bus).
R852 PRG
12 Aug 2015, 11:58 am #7

08:40 from Newcastle up to Edinburgh for me (booked HST) and I imagine any train between 16:00 and 17:00 back down. I'll likely spend as long as I need at the event, then see how the Lothian Buses network is for myself (despite several trips to Edinburgh, I've never made a journey on a Lothian bus).

Jimmi

12 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm #8
(12 Aug 2015, 11:58 am)R852 PRG 08:40 from Newcastle up to Edinburgh for me (booked HST) and I imagine any train between 16:00 and 17:00 back down. I'll likely spend as long as I need at the event, then see how the Lothian Buses network is for myself (despite several trips to Edinburgh, I've never made a journey on a Lothian bus).

The 0840 would probably be the one I'd get from Darlington (or Durham). I'd probably be returning sometime between 4-5pm.

I'm in two minds about whether to go to this or not, as I've never used the train before and I am really nervous and my parents aren't helping me by saying a number of things that could go wrong plus me getting lost in Edinburgh, also cost which is looking like I am going to struggle to get train fares for under £40 from Darlington looking on VTEC website and I can't help but think would it really be worth the expense? What's now been said about trains has put me off and now I don't feel like I want to get on a train on my own. Also which train station in Edinburgh would be the one to get off at? 

Anyone help?
Jimmi
12 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm #8

(12 Aug 2015, 11:58 am)R852 PRG 08:40 from Newcastle up to Edinburgh for me (booked HST) and I imagine any train between 16:00 and 17:00 back down. I'll likely spend as long as I need at the event, then see how the Lothian Buses network is for myself (despite several trips to Edinburgh, I've never made a journey on a Lothian bus).

The 0840 would probably be the one I'd get from Darlington (or Durham). I'd probably be returning sometime between 4-5pm.

I'm in two minds about whether to go to this or not, as I've never used the train before and I am really nervous and my parents aren't helping me by saying a number of things that could go wrong plus me getting lost in Edinburgh, also cost which is looking like I am going to struggle to get train fares for under £40 from Darlington looking on VTEC website and I can't help but think would it really be worth the expense? What's now been said about trains has put me off and now I don't feel like I want to get on a train on my own. Also which train station in Edinburgh would be the one to get off at? 

Anyone help?

12 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm #9
(12 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm)Jimmi The 0840 would probably be the one I'd get from Darlington (or Durham). I'd probably be returning sometime between 4-5pm.

Anyone help?

Edinburgh Waverley is the station in Edinburgh that VTEC services stop at. Although I believe the 10:28 (08:40 from Newcastle) stops at Haymarket on its way to Aberdeen, which is one of the other stations in Edinburgh. The majority of buses (including some of the mainstream services) stop at Princes Street which is the main bus area in the city I gather, and located very close to Waverley station.
R852 PRG
12 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm #9

(12 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm)Jimmi The 0840 would probably be the one I'd get from Darlington (or Durham). I'd probably be returning sometime between 4-5pm.

Anyone help?

Edinburgh Waverley is the station in Edinburgh that VTEC services stop at. Although I believe the 10:28 (08:40 from Newcastle) stops at Haymarket on its way to Aberdeen, which is one of the other stations in Edinburgh. The majority of buses (including some of the mainstream services) stop at Princes Street which is the main bus area in the city I gather, and located very close to Waverley station.

Jimmi

12 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm #10
(12 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm)R852 PRG Edinburgh Waverley is the station in Edinburgh that VTEC services stop at. Although I believe the 10:28 (08:40 from Newcastle) stops at Haymarket on its way to Aberdeen, which is one of the other stations in Edinburgh. The majority of buses (including some of the mainstream services) stop at Princes Street which is the main bus area in the city I gather, and located very close to Waverley station.

Thanks.

I am really stressing out about the train though which is a problem including fares, things going wrong, who am I going to end up being sat next to etc. The train is a completely alien concept to me and this would be my first time on a train like this and I'd be going alone as well which makes things worse.
Jimmi
12 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm #10

(12 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm)R852 PRG Edinburgh Waverley is the station in Edinburgh that VTEC services stop at. Although I believe the 10:28 (08:40 from Newcastle) stops at Haymarket on its way to Aberdeen, which is one of the other stations in Edinburgh. The majority of buses (including some of the mainstream services) stop at Princes Street which is the main bus area in the city I gather, and located very close to Waverley station.

Thanks.

I am really stressing out about the train though which is a problem including fares, things going wrong, who am I going to end up being sat next to etc. The train is a completely alien concept to me and this would be my first time on a train like this and I'd be going alone as well which makes things worse.

Malarkey

12 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm #11
(12 Aug 2015, 1:07 pm)Jimmi Thanks.

Youll be fine Jimmi if you sit in the "Quiet Coach", that is where I sat when I went up to Edinburgh last year, morning trip was peaceful with barely a sole in the carriage, on the way back it was a lot more busier but still relatively quiet.

Not sure im going yet as Fifa 16 comes out the day before so I may not have the funds to go, if I do go I think I will get on the 07:45 again out of Newcastle, arriving in Edinburgh for 09:30, this then gives me a couple of hours to go exploring around Edinburgh before heading to the open doors event.
Malarkey
12 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm #11

Youll be fine Jimmi if you sit in the "Quiet Coach", that is where I sat when I went up to Edinburgh last year, morning trip was peaceful with barely a sole in the carriage, on the way back it was a lot more busier but still relatively quiet.

Not sure im going yet as Fifa 16 comes out the day before so I may not have the funds to go, if I do go I think I will get on the 07:45 again out of Newcastle, arriving in Edinburgh for 09:30, this then gives me a couple of hours to go exploring around Edinburgh before heading to the open doors event.

BusLoverMum

12 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm #12

What on earth have your parents been telling you could go wrong with trains?! :s

They're easy. They go from A to B with no traffic jams. You shouldn't have any changes to make, so won't need to think on the hop if you miss any connections. The most complicated thing is findng your platform at bigger stations.

Arm yourself with maps and bus timetables from the Internet, using google maps to help you work out what stops look like.

Write instructions down for yourself eg what buses you need from where - that way, if you panic and lose your bearings, you can show someone those instructions and not have to worry about being able to find the words and get them out.

And definitely book the quiet coach - you might even get the option to chose an airline seat over a table seat, so you only get one person sat next to you at worst, instead of a whole noisy family.

The city centre itself is easy. New town on one side - Princes street, with streets behind it, running parallel that are pretty much chocka with restaurants and pubs. There's also a park and a couple of galleries there. Over the bridges is the old town which is less traditional high street and a bit more touristy with a load of tartan and whiskey shops, the whiskey museum and a conveniently placed castle.
Edited 12 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
12 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm #12

What on earth have your parents been telling you could go wrong with trains?! :s

They're easy. They go from A to B with no traffic jams. You shouldn't have any changes to make, so won't need to think on the hop if you miss any connections. The most complicated thing is findng your platform at bigger stations.

Arm yourself with maps and bus timetables from the Internet, using google maps to help you work out what stops look like.

Write instructions down for yourself eg what buses you need from where - that way, if you panic and lose your bearings, you can show someone those instructions and not have to worry about being able to find the words and get them out.

And definitely book the quiet coach - you might even get the option to chose an airline seat over a table seat, so you only get one person sat next to you at worst, instead of a whole noisy family.

The city centre itself is easy. New town on one side - Princes street, with streets behind it, running parallel that are pretty much chocka with restaurants and pubs. There's also a park and a couple of galleries there. Over the bridges is the old town which is less traditional high street and a bit more touristy with a load of tartan and whiskey shops, the whiskey museum and a conveniently placed castle.

S813 FVK

12 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm #13

Very close indeed. If you exit the station at Waverley Bridge (the only exits i think), which is where the Airlink 100 and Tour Buses terminate, turn right and go to the traffic lights - that is Princes Street. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.
S813 FVK
12 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm #13

Very close indeed. If you exit the station at Waverley Bridge (the only exits i think), which is where the Airlink 100 and Tour Buses terminate, turn right and go to the traffic lights - that is Princes Street. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm #14
(12 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm)S813 FVK Very close indeed. If you exit the station at Waverley Bridge (the only exits i think), which is where the Airlink 100 and Tour Buses terminate, turn right and go to the traffic lights - that is Princes Street. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

There's roughly three or four exits out of Waverley.

The main two lead out onto Princes St and Waverley Bridge.
Dan
12 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm #14

(12 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm)S813 FVK Very close indeed. If you exit the station at Waverley Bridge (the only exits i think), which is where the Airlink 100 and Tour Buses terminate, turn right and go to the traffic lights - that is Princes Street. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

There's roughly three or four exits out of Waverley.

The main two lead out onto Princes St and Waverley Bridge.

Jimmi

12 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm #15
(12 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm)Malarkey Youll be fine Jimmi if you sit in the "Quiet Coach", that is where I sat when I went up to Edinburgh last year, morning trip was peaceful with barely a sole in the carriage, on the way back it was a lot more busier but still relatively quiet.

Can quiet coach seats be booked or is it unreserved seats? If possible, how?

(12 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm)BusLoverMum What on earth have your parents been telling you could go wrong with trains?! :s

They keep saying trains can get cancelled, you don't who you will be sat next to, you may get lost, stuff like that.

I'll have my phone with me so I should be able to access Google Maps and such plus Traveline and operators websites although my phone hates going away, I had massive problems with the Internet in Blackpool and Carlisle despite it saying I have good signal. Not sure where I'd get my hands on maps and Timetables and I don't have a printer either so that's an issue although I can save PDF timetables on my phone.

Thanks for advice everyone, if anyone has any more advice let me know.
Jimmi
12 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm #15

(12 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm)Malarkey Youll be fine Jimmi if you sit in the "Quiet Coach", that is where I sat when I went up to Edinburgh last year, morning trip was peaceful with barely a sole in the carriage, on the way back it was a lot more busier but still relatively quiet.

Can quiet coach seats be booked or is it unreserved seats? If possible, how?

(12 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm)BusLoverMum What on earth have your parents been telling you could go wrong with trains?! :s

They keep saying trains can get cancelled, you don't who you will be sat next to, you may get lost, stuff like that.

I'll have my phone with me so I should be able to access Google Maps and such plus Traveline and operators websites although my phone hates going away, I had massive problems with the Internet in Blackpool and Carlisle despite it saying I have good signal. Not sure where I'd get my hands on maps and Timetables and I don't have a printer either so that's an issue although I can save PDF timetables on my phone.

BusLoverMum

12 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm #16
(12 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm)Jimmi Can quiet coach seats be booked or is it unreserved seats? If possible, how?

Just googled

bus edinburgh waverly to annandale street

and got a couple of suggestions - namely the 25 from princes street to craigentinny or the 49 from leith street (walk) to magdalene.
http://lothianbuses.com/assets/files/r25_130324.pdf
http://lothianbuses.com/assets/files/r49_130324.pdf
BusLoverMum
12 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm #16

(12 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm)Jimmi Can quiet coach seats be booked or is it unreserved seats? If possible, how?

Just googled

and got a couple of suggestions - namely the 25 from princes street to craigentinny or the 49 from leith street (walk) to magdalene.

Tom

12 Aug 2015, 4:12 pm #17
Was going to go here but can't I don't think. I said I'd go to a Newcastle match on this day, I'm sure it's on the 26th but I'll have to check that as hopefully the fixture has changed to a Sunday.
Tom
12 Aug 2015, 4:12 pm #17

Was going to go here but can't I don't think. I said I'd go to a Newcastle match on this day, I'm sure it's on the 26th but I'll have to check that as hopefully the fixture has changed to a Sunday.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm #18
(12 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm)BusLoverMum Just googled

It's probably no more than a ten minute walk from Princes Street, but there are loads of buses which stop within a few minutes walk.
Dan
12 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm #18

(12 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm)BusLoverMum Just googled

It's probably no more than a ten minute walk from Princes Street, but there are loads of buses which stop within a few minutes walk.

12 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm #19
Jimmi...

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Now you know what date it is you can book your tickets.
If you get an 'on the day' ticket ie an Off Peak Return (Darlington - Edinburgh = £69.70) however you can potentially get it cheaper by 'splitting' it.
See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-c...n-tickets/ for info plus a handy tool.
Alternatively you can get an Advance fare (two singles) which is £38. You must stick to those trains.

Yes trains do get cancelled from time to time but:
- This is very rare however it is always well announced (Facebook/Twitter/Websites) as well as station announcements/screens
- There will almost always be a contingency. Ie advance tickets can be used on other services.
Being a Saturday daytime there'll be someone on hand if you're stuck at both Darlington, Durham and Edinburgh (obviously more stations too) to advise. They will have heard worse stories than you could tell them before so there's no need fretting about that.

As long as you have the correct ticket for your journey (ie you're not travelling on the wrong train, but if you are, find a member of on-train staff, you won't get bollocked!!) and present whenever asked by rail staff, you'll be fine.

If you have a 'walk-up' ticket bought on the day, you cannot reserve a seat.
If you have either an Advance or walk-up ticket purchased at least a day in advance you can reserve a seat. Coach B is the Quiet Coach on VTEC services (usually at the far north end of the train) and you can select this on the reservation options screen on the website. Also can choose direction of travel and airline/table seating.

Re apps/websites/timetables. Download the National Rail Enquiries app; this brings up fares/times for all journeys on the network.

Re Marcus. All VTEC services beyond Edinburgh (Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen) serve Haymarket.

As Dan has said there are numerous exits from Waverley; plenty of signs to tell you where to go and also plenty of staff on-hand. You can't really miss it, it's a massive station roof Smile.
(And if by any chance you end up at Haymarket [very unlikely] just get a train to Edinburgh Waverley, buying a ticket at the station. Only a couple of quid if that.)

I need to see what shifts I'm on that week but if I can I will go! Will probably try driving there, parking at Newcraighall or Tweedbank and connecting via train.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
12 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm #19

Jimmi...

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Now you know what date it is you can book your tickets.
If you get an 'on the day' ticket ie an Off Peak Return (Darlington - Edinburgh = £69.70) however you can potentially get it cheaper by 'splitting' it.
See: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-c...n-tickets/ for info plus a handy tool.
Alternatively you can get an Advance fare (two singles) which is £38. You must stick to those trains.

- This is very rare however it is always well announced (Facebook/Twitter/Websites) as well as station announcements/screens
- There will almost always be a contingency. Ie advance tickets can be used on other services.
Being a Saturday daytime there'll be someone on hand if you're stuck at both Darlington, Durham and Edinburgh (obviously more stations too) to advise. They will have heard worse stories than you could tell them before so there's no need fretting about that.

As long as you have the correct ticket for your journey (ie you're not travelling on the wrong train, but if you are, find a member of on-train staff, you won't get bollocked!!) and present whenever asked by rail staff, you'll be fine.

If you have either an Advance or walk-up ticket purchased at least a day in advance you can reserve a seat. Coach B is the Quiet Coach on VTEC services (usually at the far north end of the train) and you can select this on the reservation options screen on the website. Also can choose direction of travel and airline/table seating.

Re apps/websites/timetables. Download the National Rail Enquiries app; this brings up fares/times for all journeys on the network.

Re Marcus. All VTEC services beyond Edinburgh (Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen) serve Haymarket.

As Dan has said there are numerous exits from Waverley; plenty of signs to tell you where to go and also plenty of staff on-hand. You can't really miss it, it's a massive station roof Smile.
(And if by any chance you end up at Haymarket [very unlikely] just get a train to Edinburgh Waverley, buying a ticket at the station. Only a couple of quid if that.)

I need to see what shifts I'm on that week but if I can I will go! Will probably try driving there, parking at Newcraighall or Tweedbank and connecting via train.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Jimmi

12 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm #20
(12 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm)northern156 Jimmi...

Thanks Sean

I may see about maybe buying tickets tomorrow. Should be fine sticking to getting certain trains as I always make certain to try and get to places in plenty of time even if it means sitting about for a while.

Do we think I'd get away with listening to my iPod through headphones in quiet coach or not, as I couldn't bare a two hour journey without music.

I should hopefully be okay.
Jimmi
12 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm #20

(12 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm)northern156 Jimmi...

Thanks Sean

I may see about maybe buying tickets tomorrow. Should be fine sticking to getting certain trains as I always make certain to try and get to places in plenty of time even if it means sitting about for a while.

Do we think I'd get away with listening to my iPod through headphones in quiet coach or not, as I couldn't bare a two hour journey without music.

I should hopefully be okay.

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average