Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Railway suggestions

Railway suggestions

Railway suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Andreos1

20 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm #1
Similar to the Metro and bus threads and inspired by talk of the old lines at South Pelaw and Washington - a rail suggestions thread.

Paths and infrastructure may mean these can't be delivered. Then there is cost - but on a boring afternoon of office based admin, I have identified the following suggestions.

Lines to be re-opened or converted to passenger use:
* Barley Mow to Leamside Line at Washington
* Leamside Line between Ferryhill/Hart and Pelaw
* B&T Line upto Ashington
* Stillington line between Ferryhill and Norton

New stations located at:
* Barley Mow. Ideal location on the county border, located near housing and key employment locations. Mainline and local services can call here on split level platforms. Slow lines to be reinstated on ECML.
* Fencehouses. On site of old station
* Penshaw. On site of old pop factory
* Washington South. Old station site
* Washington North. New P&R site close to Nissan/A1231
* Durham P&R.
* Stockton Parkway. Located on the 'triangle' south of Stockton. Platforms on each side, similar to Shipley. One side of the station would need to be a walk away from the other two – or, the track line is adapted
* Norton Parkway. Located on the 'triangle' north of Stockton. Platforms on each side, similar to Shipley. (This would mean that a whole estate of new houses would need to be demolished).
* Stillington
* Ferryhill. Slow lines reinstated with access to both Stillington and Leamside Lines.
* Peterlee
* All B&T stations as per proposals.

Routes:
·        Barley Mow – Leamside Line – Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle – Metrocentre (1tp2h)
·        Darlington – all stations to Stockton Parkway – Stockton – Norton Parkway – Stillington – Ferryhill – Leamside Line - Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle (1tp2h)
·        Ferryhill – Leamside Line - Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle - Metrocentre (1tph)
·        Ferryhill – Stillington – Norton Parkway – Billingham – Seaton – Hartlepool (1tph)
·        Barley Mow – Newcastle – Manors and B&T to Ashington (1tp2h)
·        Metrocentre – Newcastle – Manors and B&T to Ashington (1tp2h)
·        All other routes/combinations to stay as they are, calling at new stations if required.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Aug 2015, 12:57 pm #1

Similar to the Metro and bus threads and inspired by talk of the old lines at South Pelaw and Washington - a rail suggestions thread.

Paths and infrastructure may mean these can't be delivered. Then there is cost - but on a boring afternoon of office based admin, I have identified the following suggestions.

Lines to be re-opened or converted to passenger use:
* Barley Mow to Leamside Line at Washington
* Leamside Line between Ferryhill/Hart and Pelaw
* B&T Line upto Ashington
* Stillington line between Ferryhill and Norton

New stations located at:
* Barley Mow. Ideal location on the county border, located near housing and key employment locations. Mainline and local services can call here on split level platforms. Slow lines to be reinstated on ECML.
* Fencehouses. On site of old station
* Penshaw. On site of old pop factory
* Washington South. Old station site
* Washington North. New P&R site close to Nissan/A1231
* Durham P&R.
* Stockton Parkway. Located on the 'triangle' south of Stockton. Platforms on each side, similar to Shipley. One side of the station would need to be a walk away from the other two – or, the track line is adapted
* Norton Parkway. Located on the 'triangle' north of Stockton. Platforms on each side, similar to Shipley. (This would mean that a whole estate of new houses would need to be demolished).
* Stillington
* Ferryhill. Slow lines reinstated with access to both Stillington and Leamside Lines.
* Peterlee
* All B&T stations as per proposals.

Routes:
·        Barley Mow – Leamside Line – Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle – Metrocentre (1tp2h)
·        Darlington – all stations to Stockton Parkway – Stockton – Norton Parkway – Stillington – Ferryhill – Leamside Line - Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle (1tp2h)
·        Ferryhill – Leamside Line - Pelaw – Heworth – Newcastle - Metrocentre (1tph)
·        Ferryhill – Stillington – Norton Parkway – Billingham – Seaton – Hartlepool (1tph)
·        Barley Mow – Newcastle – Manors and B&T to Ashington (1tp2h)
·        Metrocentre – Newcastle – Manors and B&T to Ashington (1tp2h)
·        All other routes/combinations to stay as they are, calling at new stations if required.

MurdnunoC

20 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm #2
Might as well extend beyond Barley Mow towards Pelton, Beamish, Stanley and Annfield Plain. Getting to Pelton would be relatively straightforward if using the old South Pelaw to Consett alignment. Beyond that, you'd need to seek a new route through High Handenhold and Beamish as well as the replacement of two bridges at Shield Row if the line were to follow its original route to the edge of Annfield Plain. Extending beyond Annfield Plain towards Consett would be tricky as roads and houses occupy much of the old trackbed.
MurdnunoC
20 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm #2

Might as well extend beyond Barley Mow towards Pelton, Beamish, Stanley and Annfield Plain. Getting to Pelton would be relatively straightforward if using the old South Pelaw to Consett alignment. Beyond that, you'd need to seek a new route through High Handenhold and Beamish as well as the replacement of two bridges at Shield Row if the line were to follow its original route to the edge of Annfield Plain. Extending beyond Annfield Plain towards Consett would be tricky as roads and houses occupy much of the old trackbed.

Andreos1

23 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm #3
(20 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm)MurdnunoC Might as well extend beyond Barley Mow towards Pelton, Beamish, Stanley and Annfield Plain. Getting to Pelton would be relatively straightforward if using the old South Pelaw to Consett alignment. Beyond that, you'd need to seek a new route through High Handenhold and Beamish as well as the replacement of two bridges at Shield Row if the line were to follow its original route to the edge of Annfield Plain. Extending beyond Annfield Plain towards Consett would be tricky as roads and houses occupy much of the old trackbed.

I thought about that, but with the rebuilding of infrastructure and the alignment you mention, I didn't think it worth it.
Although as it is a fantasy, pie in the sky thread - why not.

The amount of space around Pelaw Jct, could mean a canny sized station could be built there.
Although, not sure the road infrastructure is suitable for a big P&R station.

Andreos1
23 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm #3

(20 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm)MurdnunoC Might as well extend beyond Barley Mow towards Pelton, Beamish, Stanley and Annfield Plain. Getting to Pelton would be relatively straightforward if using the old South Pelaw to Consett alignment. Beyond that, you'd need to seek a new route through High Handenhold and Beamish as well as the replacement of two bridges at Shield Row if the line were to follow its original route to the edge of Annfield Plain. Extending beyond Annfield Plain towards Consett would be tricky as roads and houses occupy much of the old trackbed.

I thought about that, but with the rebuilding of infrastructure and the alignment you mention, I didn't think it worth it.
Although as it is a fantasy, pie in the sky thread - why not.

The amount of space around Pelaw Jct, could mean a canny sized station could be built there.
Although, not sure the road infrastructure is suitable for a big P&R station.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

17 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm #4
I have often thought about this...As you said it is pie in the sky, so I will keep it going, my suggestions

The idea that makes sense to me is to
1. Re-open the Leamside Line, and use the Stillington Line, would be good for Nissan, and also use it for Frieght Movements between Tyne Dock and Stockton and Northallerton, take some of the frieght off the ECML and it may free up space on an already crowded line...For passengers, sure I read somewhere years ago The Leamside could used for TPX Services

2. Refurbish the Curve at Brockley Whins with Metros going between Sunderland and South Shields and as an alternate oute from South Shields-Pelaw via Fellgate

3. Extend the track from South Hylton up to the Leamside, convert the Northern Section to Metro and run a Circular Service from Park Lane-Leamside Line sand back on the DCL
MrFozz
17 Sep 2015, 9:53 pm #4

I have often thought about this...As you said it is pie in the sky, so I will keep it going, my suggestions

The idea that makes sense to me is to
1. Re-open the Leamside Line, and use the Stillington Line, would be good for Nissan, and also use it for Frieght Movements between Tyne Dock and Stockton and Northallerton, take some of the frieght off the ECML and it may free up space on an already crowded line...For passengers, sure I read somewhere years ago The Leamside could used for TPX Services

2. Refurbish the Curve at Brockley Whins with Metros going between Sunderland and South Shields and as an alternate oute from South Shields-Pelaw via Fellgate

3. Extend the track from South Hylton up to the Leamside, convert the Northern Section to Metro and run a Circular Service from Park Lane-Leamside Line sand back on the DCL

Andreos1

09 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm #5
Digging up an old thread based purely on discussion in the SNE thread regarding the TVCA DRT scheme. 

I wonder if re-opening the Boulby line as far as Loftus would allow the DRT to reach its potential.

Appreciate it is an expensive way of allowing it to reach its potential, but I do think it would help in not only reinvigorating East Cleveland and also assist with the pressures on the A174.
The new(ish) housing in Skelton and the plans for housing across East Cleveland, along with the retail developments in Skelton would suggest that the existing road infrastructure is going to struggle in years to come. It can be pretty bad as it stands.

New stations would be built in a Parkway style, with parking and interchange facilities available for both commercial services and the DRT scheme. 

* Skelton (near the roundabout at the top of Saltburn Lane/A174).
* to the south of Pheasants Fields Lane at Skelton Ind Est. 
* to the west of East Cleveland Hospital. 
* between Liverton Mines and Loftus. 

Obviously there would need to be improvements made to track and signalling and the Boulby stuff would need to be taken in to account too. 

Without looking at RTT, I'd not know how long the trip between Saltburn and Loftus would be, but I'd imagine 30mins approx. 
This, coupled with the existing journey time between Saltburn and Boro, should make the trip faster than the bus and has the potential to make it cheaper than the car - when parking is taken in to account in Middlesbrough Town centre as an example.

Andreos1
09 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm #5

Digging up an old thread based purely on discussion in the SNE thread regarding the TVCA DRT scheme. 

I wonder if re-opening the Boulby line as far as Loftus would allow the DRT to reach its potential.

Appreciate it is an expensive way of allowing it to reach its potential, but I do think it would help in not only reinvigorating East Cleveland and also assist with the pressures on the A174.
The new(ish) housing in Skelton and the plans for housing across East Cleveland, along with the retail developments in Skelton would suggest that the existing road infrastructure is going to struggle in years to come. It can be pretty bad as it stands.

New stations would be built in a Parkway style, with parking and interchange facilities available for both commercial services and the DRT scheme. 

Obviously there would need to be improvements made to track and signalling and the Boulby stuff would need to be taken in to account too. 

Without looking at RTT, I'd not know how long the trip between Saltburn and Loftus would be, but I'd imagine 30mins approx. 
This, coupled with the existing journey time between Saltburn and Boro, should make the trip faster than the bus and has the potential to make it cheaper than the car - when parking is taken in to account in Middlesbrough Town centre as an example.

S830OFT

12 Dec 2019, 2:29 pm #6
(09 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 Digging up an old thread based purely on discussion in the SNE thread regarding the TVCA DRT scheme. 

Would be nice to see the railway extended to Whitby from Cleveland...

S830OFT
12 Dec 2019, 2:29 pm #6

(09 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm)Andreos1 Digging up an old thread based purely on discussion in the SNE thread regarding the TVCA DRT scheme. 

Would be nice to see the railway extended to Whitby from Cleveland...

Andreos1

28 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm #7

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...n-17825341

Has someone been looking at these ideas?!

Andreos1
28 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm #7

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...n-17825341

Andreos1

13 Oct 2020, 8:00 pm #8
(28 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...n-17825341

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...d-19089523

More on the potential re-opening of the line in to East Cleveland.

Andreos1
13 Oct 2020, 8:00 pm #8

(28 Feb 2020, 5:33 pm)Andreos1 https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...n-17825341

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess...d-19089523

More on the potential re-opening of the line in to East Cleveland.

Unber43

26 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm #9
Durham Coast Line, put 3 car 170s onto it, it would solve overcrowding without increasing the pressure already on the line well between Newcastle and Sunderland not so much Sunderland to Middlesbrough where only 2 trains each way an hour run MAX
Unber43
26 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm #9

Durham Coast Line, put 3 car 170s onto it, it would solve overcrowding without increasing the pressure already on the line well between Newcastle and Sunderland not so much Sunderland to Middlesbrough where only 2 trains each way an hour run MAX

Storx

26 Oct 2023, 9:39 pm #10
(26 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm)Unber43 Durham Coast Line, put 3 car 170s onto it, it would solve overcrowding without increasing the pressure already on the line well between Newcastle and Sunderland not so much Sunderland to Middlesbrough where only 2 trains each way an hour run MAX

Wrong train the Turbostar's for the Durham Coast Line, they're designed for longer distance services, be a complete waste pottering along the Durham Coast at 50 mph.

If, and big if, any ever turned up here they'd be better on the Tyne Valley line imo with those trains moved to the Durham Coast Line.
Storx
26 Oct 2023, 9:39 pm #10

(26 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm)Unber43 Durham Coast Line, put 3 car 170s onto it, it would solve overcrowding without increasing the pressure already on the line well between Newcastle and Sunderland not so much Sunderland to Middlesbrough where only 2 trains each way an hour run MAX

Wrong train the Turbostar's for the Durham Coast Line, they're designed for longer distance services, be a complete waste pottering along the Durham Coast at 50 mph.

If, and big if, any ever turned up here they'd be better on the Tyne Valley line imo with those trains moved to the Durham Coast Line.

Unber43

26 Oct 2023, 10:04 pm #11
(26 Oct 2023, 9:39 pm)Storx Wrong train the Turbostar's for the Durham Coast Line, they're designed for longer distance services, be a complete waste pottering along the Durham Coast at 50 mph.

Whats on the tyne valley line? Current 156/158 which are on the Durham line.

I was just think Turbostar for the capacity, also im pretty sure Durham Line can go upto like 60 mph. I must say I didnt realise how fast Turbostars went
Unber43
26 Oct 2023, 10:04 pm #11

(26 Oct 2023, 9:39 pm)Storx Wrong train the Turbostar's for the Durham Coast Line, they're designed for longer distance services, be a complete waste pottering along the Durham Coast at 50 mph.

Whats on the tyne valley line? Current 156/158 which are on the Durham line.

I was just think Turbostar for the capacity, also im pretty sure Durham Line can go upto like 60 mph. I must say I didnt realise how fast Turbostars went

Andreos1

27 Oct 2023, 6:45 am #12

To be fair, the 158's weren't designed for it either.

Andreos1
27 Oct 2023, 6:45 am #12

To be fair, the 158's weren't designed for it either.

F114TML

27 Oct 2023, 8:51 am #13
Top speed on the DCL is 70 I believe, albeit only a breif section between Seaton Carew and Billingham.
F114TML
27 Oct 2023, 8:51 am #13

Top speed on the DCL is 70 I believe, albeit only a breif section between Seaton Carew and Billingham.

27 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm #14
(27 Oct 2023, 8:51 am)F114TML Top speed on the DCL is 70 I believe, albeit only a breif section between Seaton Carew and Billingham.

Think it's 70 through East Boldon too until the bend before Seaburn.
deanmachine
27 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm #14

(27 Oct 2023, 8:51 am)F114TML Top speed on the DCL is 70 I believe, albeit only a breif section between Seaton Carew and Billingham.

Think it's 70 through East Boldon too until the bend before Seaburn.

markydh

27 Oct 2023, 3:36 pm #15
I believe that when the Northumberland line opens, the plan is for 158s to be used exclusively on Tyne Valley, Morpeth and Northumberland line services, with other Heaton-based North East diagrams using 156s. 3 extra 158s have already moved to Heaton to allow for this. This ties in with the continually pushed back ECML retimetabling, which will see all Northern services to and from Newcastle being self-contained i.e starting/terminating at Central Station.
markydh
27 Oct 2023, 3:36 pm #15

I believe that when the Northumberland line opens, the plan is for 158s to be used exclusively on Tyne Valley, Morpeth and Northumberland line services, with other Heaton-based North East diagrams using 156s. 3 extra 158s have already moved to Heaton to allow for this. This ties in with the continually pushed back ECML retimetabling, which will see all Northern services to and from Newcastle being self-contained i.e starting/terminating at Central Station.

Unber43

27 Oct 2023, 3:55 pm #16
(27 Oct 2023, 3:36 pm)markydh I believe that when the Northumberland line opens, the plan is for 158s to be used exclusively on Tyne Valley, Morpeth and Northumberland line services, with other Heaton-based North East diagrams using 156s. 3 extra 158s have already moved to Heaton to allow for this. This ties in with the continually pushed back ECML retimetabling, which will see all Northern services to and from Newcastle being self-contained i.e starting/terminating at Central Station.
So the Durham Coast Line - Nunthrope to newcastle will no longer continue to Hexham?
Unber43
27 Oct 2023, 3:55 pm #16

(27 Oct 2023, 3:36 pm)markydh I believe that when the Northumberland line opens, the plan is for 158s to be used exclusively on Tyne Valley, Morpeth and Northumberland line services, with other Heaton-based North East diagrams using 156s. 3 extra 158s have already moved to Heaton to allow for this. This ties in with the continually pushed back ECML retimetabling, which will see all Northern services to and from Newcastle being self-contained i.e starting/terminating at Central Station.
So the Durham Coast Line - Nunthrope to newcastle will no longer continue to Hexham?

Storx

27 Oct 2023, 7:26 pm #17
(27 Oct 2023, 6:45 am)Andreos1 To be fair, the 158's weren't designed for it either.

Aye you're right, there nor are Class 156's either really with their single doors at the end which are horrid for dwell times.
Storx
27 Oct 2023, 7:26 pm #17

(27 Oct 2023, 6:45 am)Andreos1 To be fair, the 158's weren't designed for it either.

Aye you're right, there nor are Class 156's either really with their single doors at the end which are horrid for dwell times.

Unber43

27 Oct 2023, 7:33 pm #18
(27 Oct 2023, 7:26 pm)Storx Aye you're right, there nor are Class 156's either really with their single doors at the end which are horrid for dwell times.
If the 156's are only going from Newcastle - Nunthorpe surely most 156 can be doubled up
Unber43
27 Oct 2023, 7:33 pm #18

(27 Oct 2023, 7:26 pm)Storx Aye you're right, there nor are Class 156's either really with their single doors at the end which are horrid for dwell times.
If the 156's are only going from Newcastle - Nunthorpe surely most 156 can be doubled up

Storx

27 Oct 2023, 8:36 pm #19
(27 Oct 2023, 7:33 pm)Unber43 If the 156's are only going from Newcastle - Nunthorpe surely most 156 can be doubled up

Aye, it's just the design more than anything. They were designed for long distance routes with limited stopping. Stuff like Glasgow to Oban / Mallaig on rural branch lines. They weren't too bad on the long distance Tyne Valley or Cumbria Loop services either really.

On paper out of the Class 15x trains, the Class 150 trains would be the best but there's problems with them at Hartlepool and they're shite but capacity wise they'd be the best.
Storx
27 Oct 2023, 8:36 pm #19

(27 Oct 2023, 7:33 pm)Unber43 If the 156's are only going from Newcastle - Nunthorpe surely most 156 can be doubled up

Aye, it's just the design more than anything. They were designed for long distance routes with limited stopping. Stuff like Glasgow to Oban / Mallaig on rural branch lines. They weren't too bad on the long distance Tyne Valley or Cumbria Loop services either really.

On paper out of the Class 15x trains, the Class 150 trains would be the best but there's problems with them at Hartlepool and they're shite but capacity wise they'd be the best.

Andreos1

27 Oct 2023, 9:09 pm #20

But, I'd rather stuff like 170s or 185s were eventually cascaded on to the Durham Coast Line or Tyne Valley Line, than binned off completely.

Still prefer a 158 over both of them like.
Always had a soft-spot for them.

Andreos1
27 Oct 2023, 9:09 pm #20

But, I'd rather stuff like 170s or 185s were eventually cascaded on to the Durham Coast Line or Tyne Valley Line, than binned off completely.

Still prefer a 158 over both of them like.
Always had a soft-spot for them.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average