Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2018

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21 Next
Andreos1

29 Jan 2018, 12:18 am #381
(28 Jan 2018, 9:47 pm)MrBoyt If the white on black blinds are so unreadable then surely the removal of the via points is either not a problem, or will make it easier to read as the display isn't so full of characters?

If you got on the Q1 or Q2 and thought it took too long, then you'd probably get a different bus next time, no harm done. So yeah, still don't think it's much of an issue.

As I said earlier, it is about finding a happy medium that suits everybody.
Whether that is via a consistent livery that contains key points on a route or a clear destination blind which works for everyone.

DDA/PSVR regs have tidied up some issues with the destination - such as ensuring the number is displayed nearside.
That change didn't help everyone though. Just the minority who struggled in the past. It helped make public transport accessible.
Just like ramps have done, just like the wheelchair bays have done.

As for the Q1/Q2 - it did take too long. I'll just get the Metro next time, it's quicker. It's fairly obvious without looking at a timetable that it goes there too Wink

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Jan 2018, 12:18 am #381

(28 Jan 2018, 9:47 pm)MrBoyt If the white on black blinds are so unreadable then surely the removal of the via points is either not a problem, or will make it easier to read as the display isn't so full of characters?

If you got on the Q1 or Q2 and thought it took too long, then you'd probably get a different bus next time, no harm done. So yeah, still don't think it's much of an issue.

As I said earlier, it is about finding a happy medium that suits everybody.
Whether that is via a consistent livery that contains key points on a route or a clear destination blind which works for everyone.

DDA/PSVR regs have tidied up some issues with the destination - such as ensuring the number is displayed nearside.
That change didn't help everyone though. Just the minority who struggled in the past. It helped make public transport accessible.
Just like ramps have done, just like the wheelchair bays have done.

As for the Q1/Q2 - it did take too long. I'll just get the Metro next time, it's quicker. It's fairly obvious without looking at a timetable that it goes there too Wink

29 Jan 2018, 12:33 am #382
Dan made a mistake
(5276 I think)
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2018-01-29-00-26-43.png
Size: 196.02 KB / Downloads: 43
NK53TMY573
29 Jan 2018, 12:33 am #382

Dan made a mistake
(5276 I think)

Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2018-01-29-00-26-43.png
Size: 196.02 KB / Downloads: 43

idiot

29 Jan 2018, 1:26 am #383
(28 Jan 2018, 6:35 pm)Jamie M You can operate your phone whilst driving, you just need a cradle. The ticket machines are fixed objects. As long as the driving is safe, there is no legal issues, and there certainly shouldn't be any moral ones in that scenario.

Not correct. You are allowed to use your phone as a sat nav but are not allowed to touch it.
idiot
29 Jan 2018, 1:26 am #383

(28 Jan 2018, 6:35 pm)Jamie M You can operate your phone whilst driving, you just need a cradle. The ticket machines are fixed objects. As long as the driving is safe, there is no legal issues, and there certainly shouldn't be any moral ones in that scenario.

Not correct. You are allowed to use your phone as a sat nav but are not allowed to touch it.

29 Jan 2018, 1:48 am #384
In regards to the single ultimate destination being shown on the blinds, I'm not a follower of Go North East, and their many service changes at all, I have to go off memory which bus goes where, where that bus terminates and if it still runs as that number, or even at all.

It doesn't help that at major interchanges operated by Nexus, or even at places in Northumberland where Nexus manage the real-time information infrastructure, that they've removed the via points and the alphabetical destination countdown screens, of which I found rather helpful where the destination display on the vehicle would be obscured by the building or queues etc. But now, it merely shows as a countdown with the bus number, ultimate destination and time, paired with the ultimate destination being shown on the bus, it's a recipe for disaster.

It works for Lothian, but only because of the comprehensive information available on-the-street through bus stop liners/displays, printed timetables and TfE shops, and the rather simplified network which rarely has 'moderate' changes, but down here, it's not going to work.

Despite being an enthusiast, I don't really fit the stereotype of "well you know everything, so your opinion is irrelevant". I think your average person has more important stuff to fit into their head than try and remember a completely irrelevant place name which will be displayed on the front of their bus...
omnicity4659
29 Jan 2018, 1:48 am #384

In regards to the single ultimate destination being shown on the blinds, I'm not a follower of Go North East, and their many service changes at all, I have to go off memory which bus goes where, where that bus terminates and if it still runs as that number, or even at all.

It doesn't help that at major interchanges operated by Nexus, or even at places in Northumberland where Nexus manage the real-time information infrastructure, that they've removed the via points and the alphabetical destination countdown screens, of which I found rather helpful where the destination display on the vehicle would be obscured by the building or queues etc. But now, it merely shows as a countdown with the bus number, ultimate destination and time, paired with the ultimate destination being shown on the bus, it's a recipe for disaster.

It works for Lothian, but only because of the comprehensive information available on-the-street through bus stop liners/displays, printed timetables and TfE shops, and the rather simplified network which rarely has 'moderate' changes, but down here, it's not going to work.

Despite being an enthusiast, I don't really fit the stereotype of "well you know everything, so your opinion is irrelevant". I think your average person has more important stuff to fit into their head than try and remember a completely irrelevant place name which will be displayed on the front of their bus...

29 Jan 2018, 9:40 am #385
When will the metrodecker go on the 309/310s
Jordan2104
29 Jan 2018, 9:40 am #385

When will the metrodecker go on the 309/310s

29 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm #386
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but 3970 has been used at Stanley for a few days now. It was on X78 this morning. Also solo 696 was on Tesco free bus today, another loan?
Edited 29 Jan 2018, 1:19 pm by Olympian3521.
Olympian3521
29 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm #386

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but 3970 has been used at Stanley for a few days now. It was on X78 this morning. Also solo 696 was on Tesco free bus today, another loan?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jan 2018, 1:24 pm #387
(29 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm)Olympian3521 Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but 3970 has been used at Stanley for a few days now. It was on X78 this morning. Also solo 696 was on Tesco free bus today, another loan?

3970 on loan to cover for OmniDekkas away for re-trim:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/item.php?operatorF=2&fleetnoF=3970

696 transferred to Stanley over the weekend:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/item.php?operatorF=2&fleetnoF=696
Dan
29 Jan 2018, 1:24 pm #387

(29 Jan 2018, 1:16 pm)Olympian3521 Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but 3970 has been used at Stanley for a few days now. It was on X78 this morning. Also solo 696 was on Tesco free bus today, another loan?

3970 on loan to cover for OmniDekkas away for re-trim:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/item.php?operatorF=2&fleetnoF=3970

696 transferred to Stanley over the weekend:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/item.php?operatorF=2&fleetnoF=696

V514DFT

29 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm #388
I gotta say i do like the branding for 'The 9',very eyecatching,personally i think it looks better than the branding for 'The 49'
Edited 29 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm by V514DFT.

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
29 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm #388

I gotta say i do like the branding for 'The 9',very eyecatching,personally i think it looks better than the branding for 'The 49'

Kind Regards
Tez

29 Jan 2018, 1:52 pm #389
6332out on 21 juzt left gateshead for eldon
Coppercap40
29 Jan 2018, 1:52 pm #389

6332out on 21 juzt left gateshead for eldon

Pulsar

29 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm #390
(29 Jan 2018, 1:52 pm)Coppercap40 6332out on 21 juzt left gateshead for eldon

Still in unbranded blue.
Edited 29 Jan 2018, 1:55 pm by Pulsar.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
29 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm #390

(29 Jan 2018, 1:52 pm)Coppercap40 6332out on 21 juzt left gateshead for eldon

Still in unbranded blue.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.

grandad

29 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm #391
Maybe part of the problem lies with the vehicle designer.  Harping back to the 1950's - ECW Bristol L & K types had a split destination screen. Final destination at the top and the via points below.  If the blind was deeper a couple of via points could be displayed beneath the final destination?
grandad
29 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm #391

Maybe part of the problem lies with the vehicle designer.  Harping back to the 1950's - ECW Bristol L & K types had a split destination screen. Final destination at the top and the via points below.  If the blind was deeper a couple of via points could be displayed beneath the final destination?

ne14ne1

29 Jan 2018, 7:12 pm #392
I like the new clear bold displays, however I do think rather than just 'Newcastle' which isn't very informative, it should flip between 'Newcastle' (for 1 or 2 seconds) then the street/area its terminating at (for 1 or 2 seconds), and keep flicking between the two.

E.g  'Newcastle'   ...then 'Eldon Sq', or 'Pilgrim St', or 'Market St', or 'Central Station'.
My point being is there's quite a little hike between Central St and Eldon Sq for example, but the 54 and 21 both just say Newcastle.

I know many have said the infos there on the bus stops, (and I realise I'm being totally selfish here), but I'm lucky enough to use a stop where several different numbered buses head towards Newcastle. I'm often just getting to the bus stop and a stream of several different numbered buses are approaching, all now just saying 'Newcastle'. Luckily enough I've just about remembered where I'll get dropped off if I board the 1, 11, 21, 26, 27, 28, 54, 56, 57 & 58!
(I know, nice problem to have, but you get my drift).
Edited 29 Jan 2018, 7:13 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
29 Jan 2018, 7:12 pm #392

I like the new clear bold displays, however I do think rather than just 'Newcastle' which isn't very informative, it should flip between 'Newcastle' (for 1 or 2 seconds) then the street/area its terminating at (for 1 or 2 seconds), and keep flicking between the two.

E.g  'Newcastle'   ...then 'Eldon Sq', or 'Pilgrim St', or 'Market St', or 'Central Station'.
My point being is there's quite a little hike between Central St and Eldon Sq for example, but the 54 and 21 both just say Newcastle.

I know many have said the infos there on the bus stops, (and I realise I'm being totally selfish here), but I'm lucky enough to use a stop where several different numbered buses head towards Newcastle. I'm often just getting to the bus stop and a stream of several different numbered buses are approaching, all now just saying 'Newcastle'. Luckily enough I've just about remembered where I'll get dropped off if I board the 1, 11, 21, 26, 27, 28, 54, 56, 57 & 58!

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm #393
(29 Jan 2018, 7:12 pm)ne14ne1 I like the new clear bold displays, however I do think rather than just 'Newcastle' which isn't very informative, it should flip between 'Newcastle' (for 1 or 2 seconds) then the street/area its terminating at (for 1 or 2 seconds), and keep flicking between the two.

Not quite what you're suggesting, but when things quieten down, a plan is in the works to try automatic changing of destinations again.

This was disabled after the initial trial on Quaylink back some years ago, as the technology wasn't really all there. On the new Next Stop Announcement hardware, the technology is much improved and definitely works (the X9/X10 change destinations by themselves in Peterlee/Dalton Park, and the 81/82/83/84 had this feature tested a week or two ago).

So, on arrival into Gateshead, the destination on the 21 will change to "Eldon Square" by itself, and so on.

The 21, 26/27 and Q1 are all capable of doing this.
Dan
29 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm #393

(29 Jan 2018, 7:12 pm)ne14ne1 I like the new clear bold displays, however I do think rather than just 'Newcastle' which isn't very informative, it should flip between 'Newcastle' (for 1 or 2 seconds) then the street/area its terminating at (for 1 or 2 seconds), and keep flicking between the two.

Not quite what you're suggesting, but when things quieten down, a plan is in the works to try automatic changing of destinations again.

This was disabled after the initial trial on Quaylink back some years ago, as the technology wasn't really all there. On the new Next Stop Announcement hardware, the technology is much improved and definitely works (the X9/X10 change destinations by themselves in Peterlee/Dalton Park, and the 81/82/83/84 had this feature tested a week or two ago).

So, on arrival into Gateshead, the destination on the 21 will change to "Eldon Square" by itself, and so on.

29 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm #394
5358 & 5359 don't have new destinations
Citaro5326
29 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm #394

5358 & 5359 don't have new destinations

ne14ne1

29 Jan 2018, 8:15 pm #395
(29 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm)Dan Not quite what you're suggesting, but when things quieten down, a plan is in the works to try automatic changing of destinations again.

Ah right that sounds good, and would be really useful!

Do the NSAs on the 21 still say Newcastle Eldon Sq, or just Newcastle?
ne14ne1
29 Jan 2018, 8:15 pm #395

(29 Jan 2018, 7:24 pm)Dan Not quite what you're suggesting, but when things quieten down, a plan is in the works to try automatic changing of destinations again.

Ah right that sounds good, and would be really useful!

Do the NSAs on the 21 still say Newcastle Eldon Sq, or just Newcastle?

S813 FVK

29 Jan 2018, 9:47 pm #396

It would take ages to make them all (unless I've missed a fancy tool which provides a little shortcut), but I had a go at something which kept the bold destination while also including the terminal point in Newcastle:
Edited 29 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm by S813 FVK.
Attached Files
.png
21 mock 2.PNG
Size: 3.41 KB / Downloads: 42
S813 FVK
29 Jan 2018, 9:47 pm #396

It would take ages to make them all (unless I've missed a fancy tool which provides a little shortcut), but I had a go at something which kept the bold destination while also including the terminal point in Newcastle:

Attached Files
.png
21 mock 2.PNG
Size: 3.41 KB / Downloads: 42

Andreos1

29 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm #397
(29 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm)Citaro5326 5358 & 5359 don't have new destinations

I noticed a 4 branded Merc in Houghton tonight had the scrolling display. Was too far away to get the id unfortunately.

Andreos1
29 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm #397

(29 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm)Citaro5326 5358 & 5359 don't have new destinations

I noticed a 4 branded Merc in Houghton tonight had the scrolling display. Was too far away to get the id unfortunately.

V514DFT

30 Jan 2018, 1:06 am #398

Like the metro,St James,then flips to via the coast

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
30 Jan 2018, 1:06 am #398

Like the metro,St James,then flips to via the coast

Kind Regards
Tez

Andreos1

30 Jan 2018, 8:23 am #399
(29 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm)grandad Maybe part of the problem lies with the vehicle designer.  Harping back to the 1950's - ECW Bristol L & K types had a split destination screen. Final destination at the top and the via points below.  If the blind was deeper a couple of via points could be displayed beneath the final destination?

I often think the Scottish blinds from way back when looked ugly, but they had the information passengers needed.

At times like this, I think back to step entrance buses and how the majority managed fine.

Climbing them became easier for some when lights were installed in the steps and Dptac guidance introduced coloured grab handles and the diamond strip on the steps. 

It became even easier for everyone when low floor vehicles became the norm.

The patter from some about these blinds 'being fine for me', 'ask the driver', 'check timetables' smacks of a huge 'I'm all right Jack mentality' as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately, just like when we had the step entrance buses, it isn't alright for some...
Edited 30 Jan 2018, 8:26 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
30 Jan 2018, 8:23 am #399

(29 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm)grandad Maybe part of the problem lies with the vehicle designer.  Harping back to the 1950's - ECW Bristol L & K types had a split destination screen. Final destination at the top and the via points below.  If the blind was deeper a couple of via points could be displayed beneath the final destination?

I often think the Scottish blinds from way back when looked ugly, but they had the information passengers needed.

At times like this, I think back to step entrance buses and how the majority managed fine.

Climbing them became easier for some when lights were installed in the steps and Dptac guidance introduced coloured grab handles and the diamond strip on the steps. 

It became even easier for everyone when low floor vehicles became the norm.

The patter from some about these blinds 'being fine for me', 'ask the driver', 'check timetables' smacks of a huge 'I'm all right Jack mentality' as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately, just like when we had the step entrance buses, it isn't alright for some...

30 Jan 2018, 12:43 pm #400
9086 wizzing around on Ventures with paper destinations. Surprised it didn't just move with Cathedrals to Chester.

Sticking around much longer so awaiting Mobitech update from McKenna's? - or not worth it?
Edited 30 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm by RBZ 5459.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
30 Jan 2018, 12:43 pm #400

9086 wizzing around on Ventures with paper destinations. Surprised it didn't just move with Cathedrals to Chester.

Sticking around much longer so awaiting Mobitech update from McKenna's? - or not worth it?

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Pages (21): Previous 119 20 21 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average