Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2018

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (13): Previous 110 11 12 13 Next
L469 YVK

24 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm #201
(23 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm)Malarkey I was also informed that Go North East planned to extend the DFDS contract by a further a year, however have agreed a rumoured 5 year deal with two brand new vehicles to be purchased as part of the new contact, at this point this is unconfirmed and merely speculation, however coincidentally two of the DFDS Omnidekkas don't have luggage racks fitted despite the service being in need them, so I do wonder if there is more than meets the eye with this rumour, furthermore and this is just me speaking my mind here in thinking that the 309/310 will be in line for new vehicles this year also, as I really can't see Go North East buying two new vehicles for just one service, depot standardisation and that coming into mind.

I don' think that GNE will order new vehicles for the 309/310 despite the Volvo B9TLs being too heavy duty for both routes. There are no other routes which spring to mind that the B9TLs could be cascaded to at the moment.

But, if the reliability of 6301-07 on the Castles Express continues to prove temperamental, I could see the following happening:

Vehicle Movements:
- 6101-17 refurbished and fitted with new destination displays.
- 6101-07 additionally fitted with tables on upper deck then repainted, re-branded and transferred to Crook for Castles Express.
- 6108-17 given repaint and new branding for Cobalt Clipper Service 309.
- 6301-07 converted to fully seated upper decks, repainted, re-branded and transferred to Percy Main for Cobalt Clipper Service 310.

Service Changes:
- 309 operates standalone during Monday to Saturday daytime using 6108-17 (PVR 10).
- 310 and X39 operate standalone during Monday to Saturday daytime using 6301-07 (PVR 7).
- Some interworking of both services during early to mid-late evening, with StreetDecks preferably being used on boards which finish late into the evening (if timetable allows).
- 5x StreetDecks and 3x B9TLs used on Sundays with StreetDecks being allocated to boards which run into the evening. Services 309 and 310 would continue to interwork.
Edited 24 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
24 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm #201

(23 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm)Malarkey I was also informed that Go North East planned to extend the DFDS contract by a further a year, however have agreed a rumoured 5 year deal with two brand new vehicles to be purchased as part of the new contact, at this point this is unconfirmed and merely speculation, however coincidentally two of the DFDS Omnidekkas don't have luggage racks fitted despite the service being in need them, so I do wonder if there is more than meets the eye with this rumour, furthermore and this is just me speaking my mind here in thinking that the 309/310 will be in line for new vehicles this year also, as I really can't see Go North East buying two new vehicles for just one service, depot standardisation and that coming into mind.

I don' think that GNE will order new vehicles for the 309/310 despite the Volvo B9TLs being too heavy duty for both routes. There are no other routes which spring to mind that the B9TLs could be cascaded to at the moment.

But, if the reliability of 6301-07 on the Castles Express continues to prove temperamental, I could see the following happening:

Vehicle Movements:
- 6101-17 refurbished and fitted with new destination displays.
- 6101-07 additionally fitted with tables on upper deck then repainted, re-branded and transferred to Crook for Castles Express.
- 6108-17 given repaint and new branding for Cobalt Clipper Service 309.
- 6301-07 converted to fully seated upper decks, repainted, re-branded and transferred to Percy Main for Cobalt Clipper Service 310.

Service Changes:
- 309 operates standalone during Monday to Saturday daytime using 6108-17 (PVR 10).
- 310 and X39 operate standalone during Monday to Saturday daytime using 6301-07 (PVR 7).
- Some interworking of both services during early to mid-late evening, with StreetDecks preferably being used on boards which finish late into the evening (if timetable allows).
- 5x StreetDecks and 3x B9TLs used on Sundays with StreetDecks being allocated to boards which run into the evening. Services 309 and 310 would continue to interwork.

24 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm #202
Chances are that the MetroDecker was taken off because the driver that was due to take over hadn't been trained on it.

Also despite going looking for DFDS buses, the Pink Omnidekka evaded me once again.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
24 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm #202

Chances are that the MetroDecker was taken off because the driver that was due to take over hadn't been trained on it.

Also despite going looking for DFDS buses, the Pink Omnidekka evaded me once again.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

24 Feb 2018, 10:08 pm #203
(24 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm)Rapidsnap Chances are that the MetroDecker was taken off because the driver that was due to take over hadn't been trained on it.

I’ve seen it twice in 2 days on the same school bus route.
NewcastleOne
24 Feb 2018, 10:08 pm #203

(24 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm)Rapidsnap Chances are that the MetroDecker was taken off because the driver that was due to take over hadn't been trained on it.

I’ve seen it twice in 2 days on the same school bus route.

L469 YVK

24 Feb 2018, 10:18 pm #204
On another note, GNE will soon be the only operator to use Volvo B5LH's in the North East once the swap between Arriva's Blyth Depot and Arriva Yorkshire takes place.

Wonder in years to come if GNE order StreetDecks for the 309/310 that they poke away about their green 'micro hybrid and 'low carbon' credentials.
L469 YVK
24 Feb 2018, 10:18 pm #204

On another note, GNE will soon be the only operator to use Volvo B5LH's in the North East once the swap between Arriva's Blyth Depot and Arriva Yorkshire takes place.

Wonder in years to come if GNE order StreetDecks for the 309/310 that they poke away about their green 'micro hybrid and 'low carbon' credentials.

24 Feb 2018, 10:40 pm #205
I can just imagine the scenes...people flocking from the 306/308 onto the 309/310 for the witchcraft they call "micro hybrids".
omnicity4659
24 Feb 2018, 10:40 pm #205

I can just imagine the scenes...people flocking from the 306/308 onto the 309/310 for the witchcraft they call "micro hybrids".

Malarkey

24 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm #206
Kevin Carr to Retire in June after 43 Years with Go North East
http://www.route-one.net/articles/People..._to_retire
Malarkey
24 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm #206

Kevin Carr to Retire in June after 43 Years with Go North East

25 Feb 2018, 12:26 am #207

Believe there was a problem with the destination controller in cab according to a driver.
Jordan2104
25 Feb 2018, 12:26 am #207

Believe there was a problem with the destination controller in cab according to a driver.

25 Feb 2018, 1:01 am #208
(25 Feb 2018, 12:26 am)Jordan2104 Believe there was a problem with the destination controller in cab according to a driver.

Well it was displaying 309 New York when I first photographed it. It did show 310 North Shields just fine.

Rapidsnap
25 Feb 2018, 1:01 am #208

(25 Feb 2018, 12:26 am)Jordan2104 Believe there was a problem with the destination controller in cab according to a driver.

Well it was displaying 309 New York when I first photographed it. It did show 310 North Shields just fine.

Michael

25 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm #209
(24 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm)Malarkey Kevin Carr to Retire in June after 43 Years with Go North East

Be interesting to see who replaces him, and what direction they'll go in, such as branding, new buses etc.

Will 6116/17 be repainted in to the new livery anytime soon?
Edited 25 Feb 2018, 5:24 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm #209

(24 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm)Malarkey Kevin Carr to Retire in June after 43 Years with Go North East

Be interesting to see who replaces him, and what direction they'll go in, such as branding, new buses etc.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

25 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm #210
(25 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm)Michael Be interesting to see who replaces him, and what direction they'll go in, such as branding, new buses etc.

Probably more route merging

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
25 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm #210

(25 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm)Michael Be interesting to see who replaces him, and what direction they'll go in, such as branding, new buses etc.

Probably more route merging

Kind Regards
Tez

25 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm #211

It will depend on if the 309/310 get new buses
NewcastleOne
25 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm #211

It will depend on if the 309/310 get new buses

Andreos1

25 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm #212

No idea about any changes to the purchasing strategy - except they're gonna need to sort something for the remaining Solar's and maybe 2/3 years beyond that, I think we will start to see the Omni's start to slowly disappear.

By that point, the Streetlites will have been tested and analysed fully. Who knows what Wrights or Optare are offering, never mind ADL.

I do think we will see further changes and transition to routes once the new MD has settled in
The new machines will play their part in those changes, regardless of any ideas or strategies he/she may have.
Edited 25 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm #212

No idea about any changes to the purchasing strategy - except they're gonna need to sort something for the remaining Solar's and maybe 2/3 years beyond that, I think we will start to see the Omni's start to slowly disappear.

By that point, the Streetlites will have been tested and analysed fully. Who knows what Wrights or Optare are offering, never mind ADL.

I do think we will see further changes and transition to routes once the new MD has settled in
The new machines will play their part in those changes, regardless of any ideas or strategies he/she may have.

JP6004

25 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm #213
(25 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm)Andreos1 No idea about any changes to the purchasing strategy - except they're gonna need to sort something for8 the remaining Solar's and maybe 2/3 years beyond that, I think we will start to see the Omni's start to slowly disappear.

They cant do anything about black cats loop or green arrow until 2019 because of restrictions placed by the council after tgose buses received modifications to upgrade them to euro 5. I would imagine that all the above services will receive new buses after the specified date to allow the solars to be withdrawn
JP6004
25 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm #213

(25 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm)Andreos1 No idea about any changes to the purchasing strategy - except they're gonna need to sort something for8 the remaining Solar's and maybe 2/3 years beyond that, I think we will start to see the Omni's start to slowly disappear.

They cant do anything about black cats loop or green arrow until 2019 because of restrictions placed by the council after tgose buses received modifications to upgrade them to euro 5. I would imagine that all the above services will receive new buses after the specified date to allow the solars to be withdrawn

Andreos1

25 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm #214
(25 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm)JP6004 They cant do anything about black cats loop or green arrow until 2019 because of restrictions placed by the council after tgose buses received modifications to upgrade them to euro 5. I would imagine that all the above services will receive new buses after the specified date to allow the solars to be withdrawn

They can certainly get the ball rolling with the business case, financing or planning of replacements though (if it isn't rolling already).
Depending when in 2019 the restrictions are lifted, the 54 plate Solar's will be hitting 15 years old.
Appreciate some older examples are still kicking around, such as Chester's 52 plates, so I expect the better 54 plates to hang around at least towards the end of 2019 or in to 2020.
By that point, the Omni's will be getting closer to 15 years old and I can't see them lasting too much longer after that. Certainly a max of 3 years.
Compared to the Solar's, there are fewer Omni's in the fleet. The cost implications of sourcing parts for the Omni's, versus cannibalising older Solar's may impact on their lifespan. I can't see them kicking around as long as the Renowns or Solar's. Partly because of the smaller pool to salvage from.

A lot of vehicles to replace under the current PVR.

If we see further changes or route consolidation, then maybe we won't see a like for like pvr replacement.
Edited 25 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
25 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm #214

(25 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm)JP6004 They cant do anything about black cats loop or green arrow until 2019 because of restrictions placed by the council after tgose buses received modifications to upgrade them to euro 5. I would imagine that all the above services will receive new buses after the specified date to allow the solars to be withdrawn

They can certainly get the ball rolling with the business case, financing or planning of replacements though (if it isn't rolling already).
Depending when in 2019 the restrictions are lifted, the 54 plate Solar's will be hitting 15 years old.
Appreciate some older examples are still kicking around, such as Chester's 52 plates, so I expect the better 54 plates to hang around at least towards the end of 2019 or in to 2020.
By that point, the Omni's will be getting closer to 15 years old and I can't see them lasting too much longer after that. Certainly a max of 3 years.
Compared to the Solar's, there are fewer Omni's in the fleet. The cost implications of sourcing parts for the Omni's, versus cannibalising older Solar's may impact on their lifespan. I can't see them kicking around as long as the Renowns or Solar's. Partly because of the smaller pool to salvage from.

If we see further changes or route consolidation, then maybe we won't see a like for like pvr replacement.

JP6004

25 Feb 2018, 10:00 pm #215
(25 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm)Andreos1 They can certainly get the ball rolling with the business case, financing or planning of replacements though (if it isn't rolling already).

52 plate solars due to be withdrawn once ex south tyne versas undergo repaint. But there are quite a few 51 plates being pushed beyond their limit. To be fair if it wasnt for the council i think replacements would of been sourced; for some of them anyway
Edited 25 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm by JP6004.
JP6004
25 Feb 2018, 10:00 pm #215

(25 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm)Andreos1 They can certainly get the ball rolling with the business case, financing or planning of replacements though (if it isn't rolling already).

52 plate solars due to be withdrawn once ex south tyne versas undergo repaint. But there are quite a few 51 plates being pushed beyond their limit. To be fair if it wasnt for the council i think replacements would of been sourced; for some of them anyway

Andreos1

25 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm #216
(25 Feb 2018, 10:00 pm)JP6004 52 plate solars due to be withdrawn once ex south tyne versas undergo repaint. But there are quite a few 51 plates being pushed beyond their limit. To be fair if it wasnt for the council i think replacements would of been sourced; for some of them anyway

I just tried to tally up how many Solar's are left, but I got bored checking on each status.
If you or anyone else fancies it...

I suppose it was easier and cheaper to take the upgrades at the time, than have to worry about replacing a chunk of them.
Win/win for GNE in a number of aspects. Certainly in the short-term.
However, I do think it has hindered them long-term.

Whether they can finance new vehicles or not, passengers on the 35 have certainly lost out and I wonder what perception those passengers hold now.
What may have been good PR initially, has resulted in vehicles well past their best (not sure anyone could argue with that), plying their trade on a major corridor and prone to competition from it's own services, never mind SNE.

Going back to what I said earlier about the pool of withdrawn vehicles and spares, it could mean that these Solar's are quite cheap to repair.

Andreos1
25 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm #216

(25 Feb 2018, 10:00 pm)JP6004 52 plate solars due to be withdrawn once ex south tyne versas undergo repaint. But there are quite a few 51 plates being pushed beyond their limit. To be fair if it wasnt for the council i think replacements would of been sourced; for some of them anyway

I just tried to tally up how many Solar's are left, but I got bored checking on each status.

I suppose it was easier and cheaper to take the upgrades at the time, than have to worry about replacing a chunk of them.

Whether they can finance new vehicles or not, passengers on the 35 have certainly lost out and I wonder what perception those passengers hold now.
What may have been good PR initially, has resulted in vehicles well past their best (not sure anyone could argue with that), plying their trade on a major corridor and prone to competition from it's own services, never mind SNE.

Going back to what I said earlier about the pool of withdrawn vehicles and spares, it could mean that these Solar's are quite cheap to repair.

JP6004

25 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm #217
(25 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm)Andreos1 I just tried to tally up how many Solar's are left, but I got bored checking on each status.

The GNE fleetlist easier to work out.

I think GNE have done the best they can with the limitations in place. I think allocating citaros to the 9 rather than the 35 is the better of 2 evils; upgrading 3 routes (9, 61 and 88) instead upgrading a less used service 35. Also if the limitations werent in place i think the 35 would of received new vehicles along along with the new black cat streetlites
JP6004
25 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm #217

(25 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm)Andreos1 I just tried to tally up how many Solar's are left, but I got bored checking on each status.

The GNE fleetlist easier to work out.

I think GNE have done the best they can with the limitations in place. I think allocating citaros to the 9 rather than the 35 is the better of 2 evils; upgrading 3 routes (9, 61 and 88) instead upgrading a less used service 35. Also if the limitations werent in place i think the 35 would of received new vehicles along along with the new black cat streetlites

26 Feb 2018, 4:38 am #218
(23 Feb 2018, 7:02 am)cbma06 I think timetables were published for the southtyneside changes as it was mentioned somewhere , I think new timetables are produced on major changes but not for minor changes like retiming by a few minutes etc...

Recently when Arriva changed the timings of the 22,23,24. I did messaged them for new timetables to be sent through post, and got an email back stating that there don’t post them out no more and then 5 days later I got the timetables through the post with a note attached saying sorry for the delay sending out the timetables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are new  timetables on some crusader buses for 26/27
Northern4555
26 Feb 2018, 4:38 am #218

(23 Feb 2018, 7:02 am)cbma06 I think timetables were published for the southtyneside changes as it was mentioned somewhere , I think new timetables are produced on major changes but not for minor changes like retiming by a few minutes etc...

Recently when Arriva changed the timings of the 22,23,24. I did messaged them for new timetables to be sent through post, and got an email back stating that there don’t post them out no more and then 5 days later I got the timetables through the post with a note attached saying sorry for the delay sending out the timetables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are new  timetables on some crusader buses for 26/27

26 Feb 2018, 4:51 am #219
Has there been any indication on wether the Boxing Day bus services for GNE,were up in passenger numbers than in previous years?.
Northern4555
26 Feb 2018, 4:51 am #219

Has there been any indication on wether the Boxing Day bus services for GNE,were up in passenger numbers than in previous years?.

Tom

26 Feb 2018, 8:01 am #220
Strange, 3968 and 5294 on Percy Main scholars.
Is 3968 a transfer?
Tom
26 Feb 2018, 8:01 am #220

Strange, 3968 and 5294 on Percy Main scholars.
Is 3968 a transfer?

Pages (13): Previous 110 11 12 13 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average