Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Contracted services

Contracted services

Contracted services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Andreos1

12 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm #1
Just from the outset, I want to make this about contracted services for events, rather than tendered services for a LA or PTE.

Over the last 10 (is it less?) years we have seen the Tall Ships visit the region twice.
On those two occasions, the successful operator has had to source, loan or acquire vehicles from elsewhere so that contract obligations are fulfilled.
ANE got stock from the Midlands for the Hartlepool event and obviously we are seeing a number of vehicles arrive in to the region from elsewhere this time round.

Kyrnen is one event that sees buses used, cricket at Chester, DFDS/Port of Tyne, Mouth of the Tyne, Sunderland Airshow and the GNR. There will be others too.
Almost without exception (I can think of two - Close House and Kynren), each of these contracts see older vehicles allocated. Often past their prime internally and externally.

These events attract thousands and often there's a significant proportion from outside the region or even the UK.

Forgetting any operational justifications that may be used (rightly or wrongly), what on earth do these passengers think of these vehicles, the operators or the region?
These major events are contracting to huge organisations, but they're turning out the sort of tat some independents wouldn't operate.

Then, you see the likes of 5216 being put out on the 33T...

Just to provide some context or help with reasoning, I will use two examples from elsewhere.
In Belfast, we climbed off the ferry and boarded a knackered Translink Alx 400. Windows were shot (full of water) and it rattled more than a Deptford Solar.
On the way back, we were picked up by a Renown that had obviously come off a Scholars run. 

In Ijmuiden, you get off the ferry and a fleet of clean, modern coaches whisk you off to the centre of Amsterdam. 

My impressions and perception of the two contracted services are miles apart.

Any thoughts?
Edited 12 Jul 2018, 8:22 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm #1

Just from the outset, I want to make this about contracted services for events, rather than tendered services for a LA or PTE.

Over the last 10 (is it less?) years we have seen the Tall Ships visit the region twice.
On those two occasions, the successful operator has had to source, loan or acquire vehicles from elsewhere so that contract obligations are fulfilled.
ANE got stock from the Midlands for the Hartlepool event and obviously we are seeing a number of vehicles arrive in to the region from elsewhere this time round.

Kyrnen is one event that sees buses used, cricket at Chester, DFDS/Port of Tyne, Mouth of the Tyne, Sunderland Airshow and the GNR. There will be others too.
Almost without exception (I can think of two - Close House and Kynren), each of these contracts see older vehicles allocated. Often past their prime internally and externally.

These events attract thousands and often there's a significant proportion from outside the region or even the UK.

Forgetting any operational justifications that may be used (rightly or wrongly), what on earth do these passengers think of these vehicles, the operators or the region?
These major events are contracting to huge organisations, but they're turning out the sort of tat some independents wouldn't operate.

Just to provide some context or help with reasoning, I will use two examples from elsewhere.
In Belfast, we climbed off the ferry and boarded a knackered Translink Alx 400. Windows were shot (full of water) and it rattled more than a Deptford Solar.
On the way back, we were picked up by a Renown that had obviously come off a Scholars run. 

In Ijmuiden, you get off the ferry and a fleet of clean, modern coaches whisk you off to the centre of Amsterdam. 

Any thoughts?

S830OFT

12 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm #2
(12 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm)Andreos1 Just from the outset, I want to make this about contracted services for events, rather than tendered services for a LA or PTE.

Any thoughts?

They could have easily put some Solars on the 56 and some Orange deckers on 33T.

S830OFT
12 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm #2

(12 Jul 2018, 8:20 pm)Andreos1 Just from the outset, I want to make this about contracted services for events, rather than tendered services for a LA or PTE.

Any thoughts?

They could have easily put some Solars on the 56 and some Orange deckers on 33T.

busmanT

12 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm #3
(12 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm)S830OFT They could have easily put some Solars on the 56 and some Orange deckers on 33T.

The reason single decks were put on the 33T today is due to most of the passengers being pensioners who wouldn't go upstairs on double decks which were allocated yesterday.

In terms of vehicle quality, these are contracted services and I'm sure that, had the contracting authority requested, and been willing to pay for, new buses they could have been provided.
busmanT
12 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm #3

(12 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm)S830OFT They could have easily put some Solars on the 56 and some Orange deckers on 33T.

The reason single decks were put on the 33T today is due to most of the passengers being pensioners who wouldn't go upstairs on double decks which were allocated yesterday.

In terms of vehicle quality, these are contracted services and I'm sure that, had the contracting authority requested, and been willing to pay for, new buses they could have been provided.

12 Jul 2018, 9:19 pm #4
For the Blyth event a couple of years ago GNE had mostly B7TL’s as well with a few others (B5LH, B9TL, Olympian) when Tall Ships was last in the North East.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ten6083/shares/3CC2H5

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
12 Jul 2018, 9:19 pm #4

For the Blyth event a couple of years ago GNE had mostly B7TL’s as well with a few others (B5LH, B9TL, Olympian) when Tall Ships was last in the North East.

12 Jul 2018, 9:49 pm #5
What's the issue with 5216? I drove it to Deptford from Riverside this morning and it drove like a dream, one of the best Scanias put there.

Also the interior of the ex London B7s on the Park and Ride is pretty good and smart.

Not sure what or why you're trying to provoke here.
westy3738
12 Jul 2018, 9:49 pm #5

What's the issue with 5216? I drove it to Deptford from Riverside this morning and it drove like a dream, one of the best Scanias put there.

Also the interior of the ex London B7s on the Park and Ride is pretty good and smart.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jul 2018, 6:05 am #6
(12 Jul 2018, 9:49 pm)westy3738 What's the issue with 5216? I drove it to Deptford from Riverside this morning and it drove like a dream, one of the best Scanias put there.

Andreos' thoughts are well-document on the former purple Solars...  Big Grin

(12 Jul 2018, 9:19 pm)TEN 6083 For the Blyth event a couple of years ago GNE had mostly B7TL’s as well with a few others (B5LH, B9TL, Olympian) when Tall Ships was last in the North East.

Was a little bit easier for the Blyth Tall Ships as the event fell on a weekend. As it fell on a weekday this year, buses weren't readily-available, so had to be drafted in.
Dan
13 Jul 2018, 6:05 am #6

(12 Jul 2018, 9:49 pm)westy3738 What's the issue with 5216? I drove it to Deptford from Riverside this morning and it drove like a dream, one of the best Scanias put there.

Andreos' thoughts are well-document on the former purple Solars...  Big Grin

(12 Jul 2018, 9:19 pm)TEN 6083 For the Blyth event a couple of years ago GNE had mostly B7TL’s as well with a few others (B5LH, B9TL, Olympian) when Tall Ships was last in the North East.

Was a little bit easier for the Blyth Tall Ships as the event fell on a weekend. As it fell on a weekday this year, buses weren't readily-available, so had to be drafted in.

Andreos1

13 Jul 2018, 7:10 am #7
(12 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm)busmanT The reason single decks were put on the 33T today is due to most of the passengers being pensioners who wouldn't go upstairs on double decks which were allocated yesterday.

I get what you are saying about them paying for quality and the price reflecting that, but wouldn't the margins be greater if newer, more fuel efficient vehicles were used?

Forgot all about Blyth!
Make that three times in the last 10 years! Wink

I think you're making a bit of a straw-man argument here.
Nobody queried how it drove or what the driver thinks of 5216.

The post was from a passenger perspective.
Whether it drives well or not, is totally different to the comfort or experience the passenger has.
Unless those fitters have worked the sort of miracles that turned water in to wine, passengers on 5216 may have been slightly disappointed.
Sailors using it to pop to/from the shops might have even preferred being up the Crows Nest in a force 9!

Either way, boarding a vehicle approaching its 15th birthday and not looking too grand internally - may certainly assist a passenger in forming a perspective of the operator and region.
It did in the two examples I mentioned in that initial post.

BTW - just trying to encourage discussion/debate. Nothing sinister behind the post Wink

Andreos1
13 Jul 2018, 7:10 am #7

(12 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm)busmanT The reason single decks were put on the 33T today is due to most of the passengers being pensioners who wouldn't go upstairs on double decks which were allocated yesterday.

I get what you are saying about them paying for quality and the price reflecting that, but wouldn't the margins be greater if newer, more fuel efficient vehicles were used?

Forgot all about Blyth!
Make that three times in the last 10 years! Wink

I think you're making a bit of a straw-man argument here.
Nobody queried how it drove or what the driver thinks of 5216.

The post was from a passenger perspective.
Whether it drives well or not, is totally different to the comfort or experience the passenger has.
Unless those fitters have worked the sort of miracles that turned water in to wine, passengers on 5216 may have been slightly disappointed.
Sailors using it to pop to/from the shops might have even preferred being up the Crows Nest in a force 9!

Either way, boarding a vehicle approaching its 15th birthday and not looking too grand internally - may certainly assist a passenger in forming a perspective of the operator and region.
It did in the two examples I mentioned in that initial post.

BTW - just trying to encourage discussion/debate. Nothing sinister behind the post Wink

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average