Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Whitley Bay 2018

Whitley Bay 2018

Whitley Bay 2018

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

pbjd

15 Jul 2018, 8:45 am #1
A Tyne Valley Ten B9, a Great Exhibition of the North Versa, and 6332 went along the Coast Road approximately 15 minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
pbjd
15 Jul 2018, 8:45 am #1

A Tyne Valley Ten B9, a Great Exhibition of the North Versa, and 6332 went along the Coast Road approximately 15 minutes ago.

15 Jul 2018, 2:27 pm #2
(15 Jul 2018, 8:45 am)pbjd A Tyne Valley Ten B9, a Great Exhibition of the North Versa, and 6332 went along the Coast Road approximately 15 minutes ago.

GNE sent the following buses to Whitley Bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
15 Jul 2018, 2:27 pm #2

(15 Jul 2018, 8:45 am)pbjd A Tyne Valley Ten B9, a Great Exhibition of the North Versa, and 6332 went along the Coast Road approximately 15 minutes ago.

GNE sent the following buses to Whitley Bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Jul 2018, 5:02 pm #3
Very disappointing to see yet more negativity on Social Media regarding newer vehicles from Go North East attending the rally today.

I didn't get myself to the rally today as I'd intended, but why can't people understand that these events aren't simply for classic buses? They are for buses old and new, for enthusiasts young and old to have a look at, appreciate and ride on.

There shouldn't be such an "us and them" attitude in a hobby with so few people involved in the first place. Madness.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dan
15 Jul 2018, 5:02 pm #3

Very disappointing to see yet more negativity on Social Media regarding newer vehicles from Go North East attending the rally today.

I didn't get myself to the rally today as I'd intended, but why can't people understand that these events aren't simply for classic buses? They are for buses old and new, for enthusiasts young and old to have a look at, appreciate and ride on.

There shouldn't be such an "us and them" attitude in a hobby with so few people involved in the first place. Madness.

mb134

15 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm #4
(15 Jul 2018, 5:02 pm)Dan Very disappointing to see yet more negativity on Social Media regarding newer vehicles from Go North East attending the rally today.

Yet they'd get blasted by the same people if they didn't turn up at all. 

I don't think that the people who make these comments understand that it will cost GNE money to send these vehicles to events, and just think that the bigger companies have money to throw at fuel etc for fun. It also doesn't seem like they appreciate the effort that goes into getting the vehicles looking the way they do for the rally.
mb134
15 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm #4

(15 Jul 2018, 5:02 pm)Dan Very disappointing to see yet more negativity on Social Media regarding newer vehicles from Go North East attending the rally today.

Yet they'd get blasted by the same people if they didn't turn up at all. 

I don't think that the people who make these comments understand that it will cost GNE money to send these vehicles to events, and just think that the bigger companies have money to throw at fuel etc for fun. It also doesn't seem like they appreciate the effort that goes into getting the vehicles looking the way they do for the rally.

LeeCalder

15 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm #5

Which is the reason we are slightly dubious as to what reception 574 will get, especially with older enthusiasts.

There has to be something for everyone, and chances are a 10/11 year old won't be as interested in a Routemaster, as they would a branded GNE vehicle. It all comes down to what you have grown up with.

I remember holding a conversation with one of the rally organisers at Spillars last year, and I asked what the chances of them purchasing something low floor is, but they claimed there is no interest for that sort of thing within the group.
LeeCalder
15 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm #5

Which is the reason we are slightly dubious as to what reception 574 will get, especially with older enthusiasts.

There has to be something for everyone, and chances are a 10/11 year old won't be as interested in a Routemaster, as they would a branded GNE vehicle. It all comes down to what you have grown up with.

I remember holding a conversation with one of the rally organisers at Spillars last year, and I asked what the chances of them purchasing something low floor is, but they claimed there is no interest for that sort of thing within the group.

Jimmi

15 Jul 2018, 7:16 pm #6

Think there was only something like 15 buses there in total with 6 of them being GNE buses, says it all really.

No idea what possessed me to go today, 3 hour journey for me to get there to stay for 3 minutes before turning around and jumping back on a 309 to Newcastle (not even joking!).
Jimmi
15 Jul 2018, 7:16 pm #6

Think there was only something like 15 buses there in total with 6 of them being GNE buses, says it all really.

No idea what possessed me to go today, 3 hour journey for me to get there to stay for 3 minutes before turning around and jumping back on a 309 to Newcastle (not even joking!).

15 Jul 2018, 7:31 pm #7

If that's the case, someone should probably let the organisers know, as NEBPT and GNE promote the event as a 'Vintage Bus Rally':
[Image: 36880724_1879615205429331_36359442928762...e=5BDDBE23]
Haven't seen the comments on social media however as has already been said on here, the GNE stuff accounted for a good proportion of everything that was there, which was disappointing, as it was that the modern GNE stuff was parked up in glorious sunshine while most of the vintage stuff was parked back to the sun, so tricky to get decent photos.  Obviously this may have been different at other times in the day though I was there for a good chunk of it and this was the case.
stagecoachbusdepot
15 Jul 2018, 7:31 pm #7

If that's the case, someone should probably let the organisers know, as NEBPT and GNE promote the event as a 'Vintage Bus Rally':
[Image: 36880724_1879615205429331_36359442928762...e=5BDDBE23]
Haven't seen the comments on social media however as has already been said on here, the GNE stuff accounted for a good proportion of everything that was there, which was disappointing, as it was that the modern GNE stuff was parked up in glorious sunshine while most of the vintage stuff was parked back to the sun, so tricky to get decent photos.  Obviously this may have been different at other times in the day though I was there for a good chunk of it and this was the case.

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Jul 2018, 7:41 pm #8
The organisers at NEBPT request that the event sponsors, Go North East, bring vehicles to support the event and to be used on shuttle services.

The event doesn't need to be re-named, promoted as something else, or anything like that. The arrogance and ignorance from some of the enthusiasts in the scene is what needs to change: these people need to accept that some enthusiasts (especially the younger ones) have more of an interest towards the current bus scene rather than preserved buses which are 20+ years before their time. We need to be accommodating of everyone.

If there is such an issue with the name of the event including the word "vintage" and modern vehicles from GNE attending, I hope we didn't have any preserved Olympians or B10BLEs in attendance today (I didn't attend so don't know, but we usually see a couple of these in the North East rallies now!) After all, generally speaking, something isn't deemed "vintage" until it is over 20 years old...

If the site is inappropriate for photos, I wonder if anyone has ever flagged this with the NEBPT? I'd be in favour of fewer smaller events if we could have larger events in a better location which is equally suited for photos as it is for buses going on a decent run out.

Dan
15 Jul 2018, 7:41 pm #8

The organisers at NEBPT request that the event sponsors, Go North East, bring vehicles to support the event and to be used on shuttle services.

The event doesn't need to be re-named, promoted as something else, or anything like that. The arrogance and ignorance from some of the enthusiasts in the scene is what needs to change: these people need to accept that some enthusiasts (especially the younger ones) have more of an interest towards the current bus scene rather than preserved buses which are 20+ years before their time. We need to be accommodating of everyone.

If there is such an issue with the name of the event including the word "vintage" and modern vehicles from GNE attending, I hope we didn't have any preserved Olympians or B10BLEs in attendance today (I didn't attend so don't know, but we usually see a couple of these in the North East rallies now!) After all, generally speaking, something isn't deemed "vintage" until it is over 20 years old...

If the site is inappropriate for photos, I wonder if anyone has ever flagged this with the NEBPT? I'd be in favour of fewer smaller events if we could have larger events in a better location which is equally suited for photos as it is for buses going on a decent run out.

15 Jul 2018, 7:59 pm #9
(15 Jul 2018, 7:41 pm)Dan The organisers at NEBPT request that the event sponsors, Go North East, bring vehicles to support the event and to be used on shuttle services.

You don’t see the disconnect between promoting something as a vintage bus rally and filing it with examples from the current bus scene? 

Also, don’t think there’s any need for sniping at those who have a different opinion to you, it’s not necessarily arrogance or ignorance, perhaps just an alternative perspective...
stagecoachbusdepot
15 Jul 2018, 7:59 pm #9

(15 Jul 2018, 7:41 pm)Dan The organisers at NEBPT request that the event sponsors, Go North East, bring vehicles to support the event and to be used on shuttle services.

You don’t see the disconnect between promoting something as a vintage bus rally and filing it with examples from the current bus scene? 

Also, don’t think there’s any need for sniping at those who have a different opinion to you, it’s not necessarily arrogance or ignorance, perhaps just an alternative perspective...

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Jul 2018, 8:10 pm #10
After comments I've seen on Social Media and personal attacks I've heard stories of against drivers who volunteered their time to take buses to the event today, I don't think this can be classed as a "difference of opinion" or an "alternative perspective". This seems to happen every single time now and I for one am growing tired of it.

Regardless of your opinion on whether more modern vehicles should attend rallies to accommodate younger enthusiasts, I would hope you'd agree that anyone not interested in the more modern vehicles should simply ignore them and pay attention to the preserved vehicles on display, rather than make comments about folk who are just trying to achieve the same goal as those bringing vintage vehicles...

It's so frustrating as I attend a large number of rallies around the country, and there seems to be so little bitchiness and backstabbing elsewhere. No little cliques and everyone seems to have a good day, regardless of whether a brand new bus or a 100 year old bus is on show.

I've seen comments suggesting these preservationists should be shown some respect - it is earned not given, and is a two-way thing from both parties...

And for the avoidance of doubt, this isn't all of our local preservationists either. We have some cracking folk in the North East who do a great job and are happy for enthusiasts to appreciate buses new and old. Just a few who seem to let the side down...

Dan
15 Jul 2018, 8:10 pm #10

After comments I've seen on Social Media and personal attacks I've heard stories of against drivers who volunteered their time to take buses to the event today, I don't think this can be classed as a "difference of opinion" or an "alternative perspective". This seems to happen every single time now and I for one am growing tired of it.

Regardless of your opinion on whether more modern vehicles should attend rallies to accommodate younger enthusiasts, I would hope you'd agree that anyone not interested in the more modern vehicles should simply ignore them and pay attention to the preserved vehicles on display, rather than make comments about folk who are just trying to achieve the same goal as those bringing vintage vehicles...

It's so frustrating as I attend a large number of rallies around the country, and there seems to be so little bitchiness and backstabbing elsewhere. No little cliques and everyone seems to have a good day, regardless of whether a brand new bus or a 100 year old bus is on show.

I've seen comments suggesting these preservationists should be shown some respect - it is earned not given, and is a two-way thing from both parties...

And for the avoidance of doubt, this isn't all of our local preservationists either. We have some cracking folk in the North East who do a great job and are happy for enthusiasts to appreciate buses new and old. Just a few who seem to let the side down...

15 Jul 2018, 8:26 pm #11
The following preserved buses attended

West Yorkshire 8124 WX
United B251 NVN
Darlington Corporation AHN 451B
Cleveland Transit RDC 106R
Coquetdale K715 PCN
Newcastle Busways EJR 111W
National Welsh YFY 4M
National Welsh CKB 166X
SCD 693X

Also A-line Coaches brought X915 WGR but didn’t get a photo as I had left by the time it arrived as I wanted to get to Riverside to get a photo of 9093 as not sure how long GNE will have it for.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
Edited 15 Jul 2018, 8:33 pm by TEN 6083.
TEN 6083
15 Jul 2018, 8:26 pm #11

The following preserved buses attended

West Yorkshire 8124 WX
United B251 NVN
Darlington Corporation AHN 451B
Cleveland Transit RDC 106R
Coquetdale K715 PCN
Newcastle Busways EJR 111W
National Welsh YFY 4M
National Welsh CKB 166X
SCD 693X

Also A-line Coaches brought X915 WGR but didn’t get a photo as I had left by the time it arrived as I wanted to get to Riverside to get a photo of 9093 as not sure how long GNE will have it for.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Jimmi

15 Jul 2018, 9:09 pm #12
One thing to consider about modern buses being in attendance at some of these rallies, sometimes they have to be there, supposedly the Howlands rally is supported by Durham County Council and one of the conditions of this event being held is that a number of the shuttles need to be provided by low floor wheelchair accessible buses, most of the trips this year were either operated by a low floor bus on it's own or as a dupe for a step entrance bus with these low floor buses mostly being provided by GNE, independents like A-line, Stanley Travel and The Eden and some of the more recent stuff on the preserved scene that is low floor.

The rally scene round here is on thin ice, if the comments about modern buses being in attendance don't put off driver's and owners from taking buses, then stuff like buses being entered without permission will.
Jimmi
15 Jul 2018, 9:09 pm #12

One thing to consider about modern buses being in attendance at some of these rallies, sometimes they have to be there, supposedly the Howlands rally is supported by Durham County Council and one of the conditions of this event being held is that a number of the shuttles need to be provided by low floor wheelchair accessible buses, most of the trips this year were either operated by a low floor bus on it's own or as a dupe for a step entrance bus with these low floor buses mostly being provided by GNE, independents like A-line, Stanley Travel and The Eden and some of the more recent stuff on the preserved scene that is low floor.

The rally scene round here is on thin ice, if the comments about modern buses being in attendance don't put off driver's and owners from taking buses, then stuff like buses being entered without permission will.

Charles41

15 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm #13
I did not attend the rally today. I feel the real issue is why it is attracting so few vehicles. This is a long established rally held by a long established organisation which had months to prepare for. If only nine preserved vehicles turn up then it's very disappointing. Quite frankly if I'd travelled for a number of hours I would be very unhappy with the turnout. In fact I'd ask who was in charge and complain to them. It's good that Go North East did attend or it would have been even more of a non event.

It appears that yet again the North East Bus Preservation Trust is seriously lacking in organisational ability.

Charles
Charles41
15 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm #13

I did not attend the rally today. I feel the real issue is why it is attracting so few vehicles. This is a long established rally held by a long established organisation which had months to prepare for. If only nine preserved vehicles turn up then it's very disappointing. Quite frankly if I'd travelled for a number of hours I would be very unhappy with the turnout. In fact I'd ask who was in charge and complain to them. It's good that Go North East did attend or it would have been even more of a non event.

It appears that yet again the North East Bus Preservation Trust is seriously lacking in organisational ability.

Charles

Andreos1

16 Jul 2018, 6:56 am #14
I'm sure the whole Whitley Bay rally thing has been discussed in the past. Specifically about the merits of advertising it as vintage, but filling it full of modern stock.

Whatever the intentions of the organisers, if I saw a vintage rally advertised, I would expect to see vintage vehicles. 
Just as if I saw a Chinese restaurant advertised, I would expect Chinese food. Maybe apart from the odd exception to cater for other tastes, like omelette.
But that wouldn't be of interest to me. I can get omelette anywhere.

If the organisers were to take out the word vintage from their advertising, I reckon it is a quick fix to an annual problem.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Jul 2018, 6:56 am #14

I'm sure the whole Whitley Bay rally thing has been discussed in the past. Specifically about the merits of advertising it as vintage, but filling it full of modern stock.

Whatever the intentions of the organisers, if I saw a vintage rally advertised, I would expect to see vintage vehicles. 
Just as if I saw a Chinese restaurant advertised, I would expect Chinese food. Maybe apart from the odd exception to cater for other tastes, like omelette.

If the organisers were to take out the word vintage from their advertising, I reckon it is a quick fix to an annual problem.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jul 2018, 8:52 am #15
(16 Jul 2018, 6:56 am)Andreos1 I'm sure the whole Whitley Bay rally thing has been discussed in the past. Specifically about the merits of advertising it as vintage, but filling it full of modern stock.

But what's the problem at the North East Bus & Coach Show (Spillers Wharf, formally Metrocentre) where the same moans exist? No references to 'vintage', 'classic', 'preserved' etc, yet the same folks still complain about too many buses of the modern variety.

As I made reference to before, the preserved vehicles in the North East are getting younger and younger in age. This in my view isn't a bad thing - we're managing to preserve more modern parts of history which is equally as important as the older parts of history, and in 20 years time I think enthusiasts will be glad that these have been saved - but we've got a few Volvo B10BLEs in preservation now, we've got Lee's MPD that's bound to make an appearance at rallies soon, an SPD, various S-reg Olympians... But some of these aren't really 'vintage' nor 'classic' - are we going to refuse entry to (or moan and twist about) these buses? The answer should be 'of course not'.
Dan
16 Jul 2018, 8:52 am #15

(16 Jul 2018, 6:56 am)Andreos1 I'm sure the whole Whitley Bay rally thing has been discussed in the past. Specifically about the merits of advertising it as vintage, but filling it full of modern stock.

But what's the problem at the North East Bus & Coach Show (Spillers Wharf, formally Metrocentre) where the same moans exist? No references to 'vintage', 'classic', 'preserved' etc, yet the same folks still complain about too many buses of the modern variety.

As I made reference to before, the preserved vehicles in the North East are getting younger and younger in age. This in my view isn't a bad thing - we're managing to preserve more modern parts of history which is equally as important as the older parts of history, and in 20 years time I think enthusiasts will be glad that these have been saved - but we've got a few Volvo B10BLEs in preservation now, we've got Lee's MPD that's bound to make an appearance at rallies soon, an SPD, various S-reg Olympians... But some of these aren't really 'vintage' nor 'classic' - are we going to refuse entry to (or moan and twist about) these buses? The answer should be 'of course not'.

16 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm #16
It needs to be remembered that a significant number of preserved and restored buses in our area are owned privately by individuals like myself, and not by large groups or charities. Unfortunately there are a number of factors which affect the attendance of buses at events. Sometimes it's down to costs involved. At £1.30 a litre for diesel, it cost me roughly £1 per mile in fuel for my buses to attend any event. Whilst I personally want to support all local events and share my vehicles with fellow enthusiasts, this isn't always possible. With regards to Whitley Bay rally, it is unfortunate that I could not attend due to work commitments. This is the same for quite a few other owners. Whilst I do my best to take holidays/time off for events, this isn't always possible, especially as we enter the busy holiday period. Hopefully there will be a better attendance at Seaburn.

(15 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm)Charles41 I  did not attend the rally today. I feel the real issue is why it is attracting so few vehicles. This is a long established rally held by a long established organisation which had months to prepare for.  If only nine preserved vehicles turn up then it's very disappointing. Quite frankly if I'd travelled for a number of hours I would be very unhappy with the turnout. In fact I'd ask who was in charge and complain to them. It's good that Go North East did attend or it would have been even more of a non event.

Charles
C522LJR
16 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm #16

It needs to be remembered that a significant number of preserved and restored buses in our area are owned privately by individuals like myself, and not by large groups or charities. Unfortunately there are a number of factors which affect the attendance of buses at events. Sometimes it's down to costs involved. At £1.30 a litre for diesel, it cost me roughly £1 per mile in fuel for my buses to attend any event. Whilst I personally want to support all local events and share my vehicles with fellow enthusiasts, this isn't always possible. With regards to Whitley Bay rally, it is unfortunate that I could not attend due to work commitments. This is the same for quite a few other owners. Whilst I do my best to take holidays/time off for events, this isn't always possible, especially as we enter the busy holiday period. Hopefully there will be a better attendance at Seaburn.

(15 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm)Charles41 I  did not attend the rally today. I feel the real issue is why it is attracting so few vehicles. This is a long established rally held by a long established organisation which had months to prepare for.  If only nine preserved vehicles turn up then it's very disappointing. Quite frankly if I'd travelled for a number of hours I would be very unhappy with the turnout. In fact I'd ask who was in charge and complain to them. It's good that Go North East did attend or it would have been even more of a non event.

Charles

Andreos1

16 Jul 2018, 1:18 pm #17
(16 Jul 2018, 8:52 am)Dan But what's the problem at the North East Bus & Coach Show (Spillers Wharf, formally Metrocentre) where the same moans exist? No references to 'vintage', 'classic', 'preserved' etc, yet the same folks still complain about too many buses of the modern variety.

I have no idea. I don't know who has said these things and I have no idea what their agenda is.
Only they know that and I'm certainly not going to speak on their behalf.

From a personal perspective, I don't like seeing current operational vehicles at rallies. It does nothing for me. I can ride them other days of the week.
Although I do get why they come.
Ditto newer restored vehicles that haven't long left operational duties.
Either way, I am respectful of the effort that the people involved in the restoration have put in.
It doesn't come cheap (see post above mine).

I've said it before I think, but will say it again.
Seeing those newer restored vehicles, seeing the likes of a B9 attending etc played a part in me not attending rallies any more.
It doesn't make what the organisers are doing - wrong. It's just not my thing.

Similarly, even though I have a former work colleague (who now lives down south and is actively involved in restoration) and a close family friend who is very heavily involved in one particular national event, I don't go to rallies elsewhere.

In both cases, it boils down to the fact I have no emotional involvement or attachment with the vehicles on show, other than the local stuff from the 70's and 80's.
However smart those other vehicles may look.
It may also be because I dont want either of them (or their wives/partners) to know about my dirty little secret. I'm the good-looking cool one and have a rep to keep... Wink

By not attending these events, I suppose I have cut my nose off to spite my face. I've missed out on other vehicles from my youth appearing.
Do I go on the off-chance they appear? Bearing in mind if they don't, I might have to do a Jimmi and do a bunk after 3 mins. Or do I hang around looking at stuff I didn't want to look at in the first place?

Andreos1
16 Jul 2018, 1:18 pm #17

(16 Jul 2018, 8:52 am)Dan But what's the problem at the North East Bus & Coach Show (Spillers Wharf, formally Metrocentre) where the same moans exist? No references to 'vintage', 'classic', 'preserved' etc, yet the same folks still complain about too many buses of the modern variety.

I have no idea. I don't know who has said these things and I have no idea what their agenda is.
Only they know that and I'm certainly not going to speak on their behalf.

From a personal perspective, I don't like seeing current operational vehicles at rallies. It does nothing for me. I can ride them other days of the week.
Although I do get why they come.
Ditto newer restored vehicles that haven't long left operational duties.
Either way, I am respectful of the effort that the people involved in the restoration have put in.
It doesn't come cheap (see post above mine).

I've said it before I think, but will say it again.
Seeing those newer restored vehicles, seeing the likes of a B9 attending etc played a part in me not attending rallies any more.
It doesn't make what the organisers are doing - wrong. It's just not my thing.

Similarly, even though I have a former work colleague (who now lives down south and is actively involved in restoration) and a close family friend who is very heavily involved in one particular national event, I don't go to rallies elsewhere.

In both cases, it boils down to the fact I have no emotional involvement or attachment with the vehicles on show, other than the local stuff from the 70's and 80's.
However smart those other vehicles may look.
It may also be because I dont want either of them (or their wives/partners) to know about my dirty little secret. I'm the good-looking cool one and have a rep to keep... Wink

By not attending these events, I suppose I have cut my nose off to spite my face. I've missed out on other vehicles from my youth appearing.
Do I go on the off-chance they appear? Bearing in mind if they don't, I might have to do a Jimmi and do a bunk after 3 mins. Or do I hang around looking at stuff I didn't want to look at in the first place?

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 Jul 2018, 11:02 pm #18
I already voiced my opinion to Dan with regards to the awkwardness of the situation back in the boro event. There is so much cliquey-ness and concern that x other person turned up to the event. I work in retail currently, and I generally love people and interacting with them, even if I've never met them before, but I just can't find myself openly talking or interacting with these morons. The atmosphere and being able to openly talk to people is really the part. You get to learn about vehicles and discuss what we all have a passion for and unites us, transport and logistics. I tend to stay out of the way of people generally because of the stories I hear. I think the problem is the people and their attitudes to one another. The drama about the vehicles being new/old is pure theater and nothing but a representation of the issue at hand. I hope to very soon be a driver and turn up to these events and do my best to interact and cut the nonsense out, but I gather it's a situation that will pass with time. Nothing else anybody can do except sit and watch, hoping the morons develop a sense of what's appropriate and what isn't. Can't exactly ban specific groups of people from events or force attitudes upon people.

I remember at the Stockton Open day, it was very fluid and the drivers there were able to shine their light onto all interested parties, young and old. I spent a few hours there and spent hours going back and forth, but still felt it was worth it in the end even without much to do, which I couldn't say for the boro event. I think quantity of vehicles does matter, but that depends on how the people are going to be received with their vehicles, so ultimately stems from poor attitudes rather than the cost to be in any one given place with a bus. You'd pay the money to drive a bus to a venue if it was good crack, I don't think it's a matter of whether other preservationists are sending their vehicles out.

The family events seem to do the best for good crack and displays, perhaps if there were more events with this "bus fair" theme it would be targeting a wider audience and hopefully would drown out those who cause the issues in the first place? Don't know where I'm going with this, but that's my tuppence of the day.
Jamie M
22 Jul 2018, 11:02 pm #18

I already voiced my opinion to Dan with regards to the awkwardness of the situation back in the boro event. There is so much cliquey-ness and concern that x other person turned up to the event. I work in retail currently, and I generally love people and interacting with them, even if I've never met them before, but I just can't find myself openly talking or interacting with these morons. The atmosphere and being able to openly talk to people is really the part. You get to learn about vehicles and discuss what we all have a passion for and unites us, transport and logistics. I tend to stay out of the way of people generally because of the stories I hear. I think the problem is the people and their attitudes to one another. The drama about the vehicles being new/old is pure theater and nothing but a representation of the issue at hand. I hope to very soon be a driver and turn up to these events and do my best to interact and cut the nonsense out, but I gather it's a situation that will pass with time. Nothing else anybody can do except sit and watch, hoping the morons develop a sense of what's appropriate and what isn't. Can't exactly ban specific groups of people from events or force attitudes upon people.

I remember at the Stockton Open day, it was very fluid and the drivers there were able to shine their light onto all interested parties, young and old. I spent a few hours there and spent hours going back and forth, but still felt it was worth it in the end even without much to do, which I couldn't say for the boro event. I think quantity of vehicles does matter, but that depends on how the people are going to be received with their vehicles, so ultimately stems from poor attitudes rather than the cost to be in any one given place with a bus. You'd pay the money to drive a bus to a venue if it was good crack, I don't think it's a matter of whether other preservationists are sending their vehicles out.

The family events seem to do the best for good crack and displays, perhaps if there were more events with this "bus fair" theme it would be targeting a wider audience and hopefully would drown out those who cause the issues in the first place? Don't know where I'm going with this, but that's my tuppence of the day.

14 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm #19
Just come across this.. fascinating reading. I am for many reasons, some I wont go into on hear am well placed to see this from all sides. The staff at GNE and ANE do a fantastic job of making themselves available to take a bus on there day off and not get payed to do it. Its vitally important to the company's that they put on a show to the public and let people get close up to the buses wile they are in a safe environment.

As for the Preservationists that put there own money into there restoration projects. They are just normal people but nearly all of them that I know have spent a fortune on restoring there buses. We dont need to come to there events, we could easily (and often do) meet up at weekend with all our buses away from the public. BUT.. That's selfish. The NNRG have the attitude that busses are about people so we make them available whenever we can. perhaps the restorationist's deserves some respect but I have never got anything else from young or the older.

As for newer buses. I remember someone who should know better slating me for saving 4855. Preservation moves on with the times. Its inevitable.. The buses from the 80 and 90 and now 00 are in preservation. Its all transport history that needs saving for the future.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
14 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm #19

Just come across this.. fascinating reading. I am for many reasons, some I wont go into on hear am well placed to see this from all sides. The staff at GNE and ANE do a fantastic job of making themselves available to take a bus on there day off and not get payed to do it. Its vitally important to the company's that they put on a show to the public and let people get close up to the buses wile they are in a safe environment.

As for the Preservationists that put there own money into there restoration projects. They are just normal people but nearly all of them that I know have spent a fortune on restoring there buses. We dont need to come to there events, we could easily (and often do) meet up at weekend with all our buses away from the public. BUT.. That's selfish. The NNRG have the attitude that busses are about people so we make them available whenever we can. perhaps the restorationist's deserves some respect but I have never got anything else from young or the older.

As for newer buses. I remember someone who should know better slating me for saving 4855. Preservation moves on with the times. Its inevitable.. The buses from the 80 and 90 and now 00 are in preservation. Its all transport history that needs saving for the future.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average