Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2018

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (10) Previous 14 5 610 Next
Andreos1

13 Nov 2018, 11:19 am #81
(13 Nov 2018, 9:40 am)Rob44 to be fare you cant have a direct bus to everywhere.... but the price of using the bus has risen dramatically in my view When you are trying to get people to leave the car there needs to be a major compensation for have to wait in the cold for the bus, get on and find its full of  out of control kids then when you get off you find your connecting bus has just left.  For me me that would be no more and 3 quid per day, ideally less tbh!

Prices have increased beyond inflation, whilst the convenience of direct buses has slowed down. 
Whilst agreeing 'something' needs to be done, I do think the operators need to look at their offer and see what they can do to improve things in the interim.
It's pointless LA's spending x amount to improve things, if the inconvenience and expense of travelling on bus still exists.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Nov 2018, 11:19 am #81

(13 Nov 2018, 9:40 am)Rob44 to be fare you cant have a direct bus to everywhere.... but the price of using the bus has risen dramatically in my view When you are trying to get people to leave the car there needs to be a major compensation for have to wait in the cold for the bus, get on and find its full of  out of control kids then when you get off you find your connecting bus has just left.  For me me that would be no more and 3 quid per day, ideally less tbh!

Prices have increased beyond inflation, whilst the convenience of direct buses has slowed down. 
Whilst agreeing 'something' needs to be done, I do think the operators need to look at their offer and see what they can do to improve things in the interim.
It's pointless LA's spending x amount to improve things, if the inconvenience and expense of travelling on bus still exists.

Rob44

13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am #82
My journey to work is from near team valley up to qe hospital. 160 on bus to valley then 220 from valley to hospital.

you are correct Dan -but Go north east seem to me, from the artical to want to use the stick route of increase prices for motorist and not use the carrot of making public transport more cheap.

also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc. Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.
Rob44
13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am #82

My journey to work is from near team valley up to qe hospital. 160 on bus to valley then 220 from valley to hospital.

you are correct Dan -but Go north east seem to me, from the artical to want to use the stick route of increase prices for motorist and not use the carrot of making public transport more cheap.

also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc. Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am #83
(13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am)Rob44 My journey to work is from near team valley up to qe hospital. 160 on bus to valley then 220 from valley to hospital.

Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares. Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am #83

(13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am)Rob44 My journey to work is from near team valley up to qe hospital. 160 on bus to valley then 220 from valley to hospital.

Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares. Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

Chris 1

13 Nov 2018, 12:24 pm #84
(13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am)Jamie M Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares. Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

It's chicken and egg though.  There's no reason why I can't use the bus for work.  But I don't.  Paying handsomely for the privilege of sitting on the 69 for the best part of an hour doesn't do it for me.  I can drive it in less than half an hour most days.

Similarly, we can choose to get the bus to the Metrocentre at the weekend.  Again, we don't.  A family day ticket is probably our best option price wise, but is over a tenner these days and the bus takes just over 20 minutes.

We'll take the time saving, thank you very much and go mad and have a coffee with the bus fare.
Chris 1
13 Nov 2018, 12:24 pm #84

(13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am)Jamie M Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares. Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

It's chicken and egg though.  There's no reason why I can't use the bus for work.  But I don't.  Paying handsomely for the privilege of sitting on the 69 for the best part of an hour doesn't do it for me.  I can drive it in less than half an hour most days.

Similarly, we can choose to get the bus to the Metrocentre at the weekend.  Again, we don't.  A family day ticket is probably our best option price wise, but is over a tenner these days and the bus takes just over 20 minutes.

We'll take the time saving, thank you very much and go mad and have a coffee with the bus fare.

Jimmi

13 Nov 2018, 1:36 pm #85
(13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am)Rob44 also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc. Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.

I pretty much echo these views atm.

One thing I will say that isn't making buses an attractive option is increasing traffic levels in busy areas, for me living in Newton Aycliffe my main bus route is the 7 between Darlington and Durham and there seems to be more and more traffic with each passing week heading in and out of Darlo and Durham and as such the timekeeping is becoming poor and I'm now at the stage where I'm fed up with standing around for up to an hour in some cases for a service that's supposed to run every 15 minutes, so I am now at the stage where I wish to ditch the bus and get a driving licence to avoid potentially waiting for 60 minutes for a bus home in Ferryhill that's late purely for the fact its a Friday, the more people who take this view, the more cars there is on the road meaning more traffic and longer journey times for bus journeys which only puts more people off the bus as most people want to get to where they want to be quickly.
Jimmi
13 Nov 2018, 1:36 pm #85

(13 Nov 2018, 11:20 am)Rob44 also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc. Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.

I pretty much echo these views atm.

One thing I will say that isn't making buses an attractive option is increasing traffic levels in busy areas, for me living in Newton Aycliffe my main bus route is the 7 between Darlington and Durham and there seems to be more and more traffic with each passing week heading in and out of Darlo and Durham and as such the timekeeping is becoming poor and I'm now at the stage where I'm fed up with standing around for up to an hour in some cases for a service that's supposed to run every 15 minutes, so I am now at the stage where I wish to ditch the bus and get a driving licence to avoid potentially waiting for 60 minutes for a bus home in Ferryhill that's late purely for the fact its a Friday, the more people who take this view, the more cars there is on the road meaning more traffic and longer journey times for bus journeys which only puts more people off the bus as most people want to get to where they want to be quickly.

Andreos1

13 Nov 2018, 1:45 pm #86
(13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am)Jamie M  Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares . Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

No, that's not the case at all.
Simple economics can tell you that. 
Many an example of companies making more money by lowering prices. Margins are key. 
20 people at £2.00 is more money than 10 people at £3.00.

Andreos1
13 Nov 2018, 1:45 pm #86

(13 Nov 2018, 11:22 am)Jamie M  Fares are pushed up for a reason, companies would be losing money for cutting fares . Once enough people use a service, thats when prices can be knocked down. That's how I see it anyway.

No, that's not the case at all.
Many an example of companies making more money by lowering prices. Margins are key. 

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm #87
(13 Nov 2018, 1:45 pm)Andreos1 No, that's not the case at all.
What happens when you don't get the 20 people coming and there's only the 10 left though?

Jamie M
13 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm #87

(13 Nov 2018, 1:45 pm)Andreos1 No, that's not the case at all.
What happens when you don't get the 20 people coming and there's only the 10 left though?

Andreos1

13 Nov 2018, 1:55 pm #88
(13 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm)Jamie M What happens when you don't get the 20 people coming and there's only the 10 left though?

Or fewer passengers at £3.00?

Andreos1
13 Nov 2018, 1:55 pm #88

(13 Nov 2018, 1:51 pm)Jamie M What happens when you don't get the 20 people coming and there's only the 10 left though?

Or fewer passengers at £3.00?

13 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm #89
Look at the seat sales on the trains, and then similar deals in shops, if it's marketed well enough then the people will come.
omnicity4659
13 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm #89

Look at the seat sales on the trains, and then similar deals in shops, if it's marketed well enough then the people will come.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm #90

also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc.  Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may  have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.

But there lies the problem - and this is the biggest challenge bus operators face.

In my opinion, very few people choose to travel by bus. Most people travel by bus because they have no other option. If you're in a position where you can drive a car - with all of its luxuries including those you mention - what's the incentive to travel by public transport? This isn't specific to Go North East, nor is it specific to the other operators in the region.

I don't think many car users tot up the cost of tax, insurance or maintenance/general upkeep of the car, and I'd go as far to say that I think most who drive a car forget about how much they spend in petrol/diesel to keep the car running too. I think one of the biggest factors people who drive look at is the cost of parking. Anyone looking to go shopping in Newcastle has to pay a small fortune if they're wanting to drive. I personally park at the Metrocentre and catch a bus to and from Newcastle - even if I paid for my bus travel, it'd still be cheaper! 'Alive after five' and 'Free after three' campaigns in Newcastle and Sunderland, giving car users the option of free travel after a certain time, really does not help to get more passengers on buses... Stagecoach introduced an evening ticket in Sunderland at a discounted rate and I'd be very surprised if it was much of a success, and didn't just abstract from the revenue they were already taking, as buses can't ever compete with free parking.
Dan
13 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm #90

also in my car I can listen to music, be guaranteed a seat, be guaranteed my car will turn up, choose who I share my car with etc etc.  Its all about making an alternative to car travel as cheap as possible and more convenient ( in my view) others may  have different priorities . £3 just seemed an amount per day that would get me out of my car and on to public transport.... but I would still need my car as I sometimes start at 6am and finish at midnight so buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket wouldn't help me at all either.

But there lies the problem - and this is the biggest challenge bus operators face.

In my opinion, very few people choose to travel by bus. Most people travel by bus because they have no other option. If you're in a position where you can drive a car - with all of its luxuries including those you mention - what's the incentive to travel by public transport? This isn't specific to Go North East, nor is it specific to the other operators in the region.

I don't think many car users tot up the cost of tax, insurance or maintenance/general upkeep of the car, and I'd go as far to say that I think most who drive a car forget about how much they spend in petrol/diesel to keep the car running too. I think one of the biggest factors people who drive look at is the cost of parking. Anyone looking to go shopping in Newcastle has to pay a small fortune if they're wanting to drive. I personally park at the Metrocentre and catch a bus to and from Newcastle - even if I paid for my bus travel, it'd still be cheaper! 'Alive after five' and 'Free after three' campaigns in Newcastle and Sunderland, giving car users the option of free travel after a certain time, really does not help to get more passengers on buses... Stagecoach introduced an evening ticket in Sunderland at a discounted rate and I'd be very surprised if it was much of a success, and didn't just abstract from the revenue they were already taking, as buses can't ever compete with free parking.

idiot

13 Nov 2018, 6:39 pm #91
How can GNE get away with not stopping at testos? Diverting x9 and x10 currently
idiot
13 Nov 2018, 6:39 pm #91

How can GNE get away with not stopping at testos? Diverting x9 and x10 currently

ne14ne1

13 Nov 2018, 6:47 pm #92
It's very hard to get people out of their cars and on to public transportation.

Newcastle/Gateshead for example is lucky enough to have the second-largest of four metro systems in the UK, (granted its having a few issues while we await new stock), & we also have a fairly good (but obviously not perfect) bus network.
Many of our bus routes are served by modern comfortable route-branded buses which are fully accessible for wheelchairs & buggies, accept contactless/in-app payments, are often fitted with audio-visual next stop announcements, high backed leather seats, free WiFi and power outlets and some even with tables.
However this is still not enough to entice most car users out of their cars because of course cars are still more convenient.
Therefore in central areas buses must be given priority over private vehicles otherwise car usage just continues to increase along with congestion and pollution.

Central Government have instructed several local authorities across the country (including Newcastle, Gateshead & North Tyneside) to address pollution and bring air quality levels up to legal levels in the quickest time possible, which is why some parts of the country are having to consider congestion/clean air charging zones among other measures.

Our bus network has plenty of room for improvement but I imagine the quickest way to get people out of their cars and onto public transport is to make car usage in central areas either more expensive or less convenient than public transport.

From what I've read about Central Newcastle I think the authority's idea is to get car users to think about how they approach their chosen car park so that you drive TO the city centre, and not THROUGH it/around it as this is what causes the most congestion & pollution in the urban core. (Obviously better still, try to not bring the car into the city centre, or at least not as often). In conjunction with that multiple bus priorities have been put in place around the bus loop, including improved bus lanes, new smart traffic signals, enforcement cameras, better/safer cycling infrastructure and bigger safer pedestrian areas and crossings, all so that buses, pedestrians & cyclists (i.e sustainable/public transport) takes priority over private vehicles.

I imagine the travel mode hierarchy in most growing/successful towns and cities these days will be something like:
Pedestrians
Cyclists
Buses
Hackney Carriages/Private Hire Taxis
Services (goods)
and lastly, Privately owned vehicles.

Like it or not the bus companies do have a point rallying for congestion charge zones, whether they're seen as being selfish or not.

(Although I use buses to & from work in the city centre, I am also a car user who enjoys driving - just incase you think I'm being completely bias to buses).
Edited 13 Nov 2018, 6:54 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
13 Nov 2018, 6:47 pm #92

It's very hard to get people out of their cars and on to public transportation.

Newcastle/Gateshead for example is lucky enough to have the second-largest of four metro systems in the UK, (granted its having a few issues while we await new stock), & we also have a fairly good (but obviously not perfect) bus network.
Many of our bus routes are served by modern comfortable route-branded buses which are fully accessible for wheelchairs & buggies, accept contactless/in-app payments, are often fitted with audio-visual next stop announcements, high backed leather seats, free WiFi and power outlets and some even with tables.
However this is still not enough to entice most car users out of their cars because of course cars are still more convenient.
Therefore in central areas buses must be given priority over private vehicles otherwise car usage just continues to increase along with congestion and pollution.

Central Government have instructed several local authorities across the country (including Newcastle, Gateshead & North Tyneside) to address pollution and bring air quality levels up to legal levels in the quickest time possible, which is why some parts of the country are having to consider congestion/clean air charging zones among other measures.

Our bus network has plenty of room for improvement but I imagine the quickest way to get people out of their cars and onto public transport is to make car usage in central areas either more expensive or less convenient than public transport.

From what I've read about Central Newcastle I think the authority's idea is to get car users to think about how they approach their chosen car park so that you drive TO the city centre, and not THROUGH it/around it as this is what causes the most congestion & pollution in the urban core. (Obviously better still, try to not bring the car into the city centre, or at least not as often). In conjunction with that multiple bus priorities have been put in place around the bus loop, including improved bus lanes, new smart traffic signals, enforcement cameras, better/safer cycling infrastructure and bigger safer pedestrian areas and crossings, all so that buses, pedestrians & cyclists (i.e sustainable/public transport) takes priority over private vehicles.

I imagine the travel mode hierarchy in most growing/successful towns and cities these days will be something like:
Pedestrians
Cyclists
Buses
Hackney Carriages/Private Hire Taxis
Services (goods)
and lastly, Privately owned vehicles.

Like it or not the bus companies do have a point rallying for congestion charge zones, whether they're seen as being selfish or not.

(Although I use buses to & from work in the city centre, I am also a car user who enjoys driving - just incase you think I'm being completely bias to buses).

Andreos1

13 Nov 2018, 8:07 pm #93
(13 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm)omnicity4659 Look at the seat sales on the trains, and then similar deals in shops, if it's marketed well enough then the people will come.

That's exactly it.
Too often pricing is aimed at getting people to use their bus and not a competitors bus (look at all the bus wars we have seen). 

ANE did the pre-Christmas ticket last year and I would hope there would be something similar this year. 
Marketed right, it will attract people from their cars and maybe let them have a drink or two afterwards. 
Assuming there's a direct bus back home, that doesn't involve 2/3 changes, then I see no reason why it wouldn't be successful.

Andreos1
13 Nov 2018, 8:07 pm #93

(13 Nov 2018, 4:00 pm)omnicity4659 Look at the seat sales on the trains, and then similar deals in shops, if it's marketed well enough then the people will come.

That's exactly it.
Too often pricing is aimed at getting people to use their bus and not a competitors bus (look at all the bus wars we have seen). 

ANE did the pre-Christmas ticket last year and I would hope there would be something similar this year. 
Marketed right, it will attract people from their cars and maybe let them have a drink or two afterwards. 
Assuming there's a direct bus back home, that doesn't involve 2/3 changes, then I see no reason why it wouldn't be successful.

ne14ne1

13 Nov 2018, 8:33 pm #94
I don't think bus passengers should have to worry about what colour bus is arriving, who operates it, or whether their ticket is going to be accepted or whether it's cheaper on a different bus. A truly standardised integrated transport network for Tyne & Wear would make public transport a more attractive viable option - I'm talking Metro, Buses, Ferry, Local Rail & Bike Hire all controlled by one body.
The bus operators should be competing against each other for contracts to run the services, not scrapping for customers off each other which just puts up barriers.
Edited 13 Nov 2018, 9:46 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
13 Nov 2018, 8:33 pm #94

I don't think bus passengers should have to worry about what colour bus is arriving, who operates it, or whether their ticket is going to be accepted or whether it's cheaper on a different bus. A truly standardised integrated transport network for Tyne & Wear would make public transport a more attractive viable option - I'm talking Metro, Buses, Ferry, Local Rail & Bike Hire all controlled by one body.
The bus operators should be competing against each other for contracts to run the services, not scrapping for customers off each other which just puts up barriers.

Rob44

14 Nov 2018, 9:32 am #95
Dan.... Ive done that to at the metrocentre.... last Christmas actually but I don't know if you've notice but the signs in the Metrocentre car park say your not allowed to park and ride!
Rob44
14 Nov 2018, 9:32 am #95

Dan.... Ive done that to at the metrocentre.... last Christmas actually but I don't know if you've notice but the signs in the Metrocentre car park say your not allowed to park and ride!

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 Nov 2018, 9:33 am #96
(14 Nov 2018, 9:32 am)Rob44 Dan.... Ive done that to at the metrocentre.... last Christmas actually but I don't know if you've notice but the signs in the Metrocentre car park say your not allowed to park and ride!
The coach park is good. Never had any issues with that'n, especially at the back.

Jamie M
14 Nov 2018, 9:33 am #96

(14 Nov 2018, 9:32 am)Rob44 Dan.... Ive done that to at the metrocentre.... last Christmas actually but I don't know if you've notice but the signs in the Metrocentre car park say your not allowed to park and ride!
The coach park is good. Never had any issues with that'n, especially at the back.

Rob44

14 Nov 2018, 9:35 am #97
I don't know about the coach park.... I think that when the Match day park and ride operates from? I am just on about the parking at the metrocentre its self - its definitely on the signage although not sure how they could prove it unless CCTV followed youfrom your car to the bus station and your were seen jumping on the bus?!
Rob44
14 Nov 2018, 9:35 am #97

I don't know about the coach park.... I think that when the Match day park and ride operates from? I am just on about the parking at the metrocentre its self - its definitely on the signage although not sure how they could prove it unless CCTV followed youfrom your car to the bus station and your were seen jumping on the bus?!

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 Nov 2018, 9:37 am #98
(14 Nov 2018, 9:35 am)Rob44 I don't know about the coach park.... I think that when the Match day park and ride operates from? I am just on about the parking at the metrocentre its self - its definitely on the signage although not sure how they could prove it unless CCTV followed youfrom your car to the bus station and your were seen jumping on the bus?!
They dont do any parking enforcement so I doubt it'll matter.

Jamie M
14 Nov 2018, 9:37 am #98

(14 Nov 2018, 9:35 am)Rob44 I don't know about the coach park.... I think that when the Match day park and ride operates from? I am just on about the parking at the metrocentre its self - its definitely on the signage although not sure how they could prove it unless CCTV followed youfrom your car to the bus station and your were seen jumping on the bus?!
They dont do any parking enforcement so I doubt it'll matter.

Andreos1

14 Nov 2018, 11:32 am #99
(14 Nov 2018, 9:37 am)Jamie M They dont do any parking enforcement so I doubt it'll matter.

You sure? 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...?t=5902247

Andreos1
14 Nov 2018, 11:32 am #99

(14 Nov 2018, 9:37 am)Jamie M They dont do any parking enforcement so I doubt it'll matter.

You sure? 

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 Nov 2018, 12:59 pm #100
(14 Nov 2018, 11:32 am)Andreos1 You sure? 

Oh I dont know about the main metrocentre, but there's no issues with the coach park for longer stays.

Jamie M
14 Nov 2018, 12:59 pm #100

(14 Nov 2018, 11:32 am)Andreos1 You sure? 

Oh I dont know about the main metrocentre, but there's no issues with the coach park for longer stays.

Pages (10) Previous 14 5 610 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average