Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2018

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next
Boggle

07 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm #61
(07 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm)Jamie M It's a good warm bus. Somebody would have to crash into it or requiring PSV tests for it to be missing. It gets used for 4 hours a day max so is working at fraction of a bus of its ability.

Yeah, fair comment, given that the similar Washington based ones are still often used on X1s all day, 3965 does seem to have an easy life.
Boggle
07 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm #61

(07 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm)Jamie M It's a good warm bus. Somebody would have to crash into it or requiring PSV tests for it to be missing. It gets used for 4 hours a day max so is working at fraction of a bus of its ability.

Yeah, fair comment, given that the similar Washington based ones are still often used on X1s all day, 3965 does seem to have an easy life.

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm #62
(07 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm)Boggle Yeah, fair comment, given that the similar Washington based ones are still often used on X1s all day, 3965 does seem to have an easy life.
That 30 mins between X21s also makes a huge difference, on a related note. The guy in front misses all the picktree lane stuff and all the slip lane chaos. I stay in the middle lane up past the services for that reason. People stuck indicating left onto A1231 on the left lane then just after the brow of the hill A194 southbound traffic and A195 departing traffic at the services. Apparently Birtley is just as bad, so I have the short straw by having that run at that time.

Hopefully if I still have it going on from christmas, it'll be a lot calmer and less chaos from The Angel to Chester.
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm #62

(07 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm)Boggle Yeah, fair comment, given that the similar Washington based ones are still often used on X1s all day, 3965 does seem to have an easy life.
That 30 mins between X21s also makes a huge difference, on a related note. The guy in front misses all the picktree lane stuff and all the slip lane chaos. I stay in the middle lane up past the services for that reason. People stuck indicating left onto A1231 on the left lane then just after the brow of the hill A194 southbound traffic and A195 departing traffic at the services. Apparently Birtley is just as bad, so I have the short straw by having that run at that time.

Hopefully if I still have it going on from christmas, it'll be a lot calmer and less chaos from The Angel to Chester.

Boggle

07 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm #63
(07 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm)Jamie M That 30 mins between X21s also makes a huge difference, on a related note. The guy in front misses all the picktree lane stuff and all the slip lane chaos. I stay in the middle lane up past the services for that reason. People stuck indicating left onto A1231 on the left lane then just after the brow of the hill A194 southbound traffic and A195 departing traffic at the services. Apparently Birtley is just as bad, so I have the short straw by having that run at that time.

Yeah, it's amazing the difference 30 mins makes to the traffic.  It should calm down a bit after Christmas as you say, Newcastle is starting to get pretty manic which can't help.  I'm not convinced by those new lights next to the castle either, the timing really seems to back traffic up which means buses are struggling to get out at the bottom of the Bigg Market.

It seems that your X21 run is settling down timing-wise this week, which is good, although it looks like being on time for the 93 run is still going to be difficult, if not impossible, particularly given that you finish in Newburn pointing the wrong way for Team Valley so presumably have to go somewhere to turn before setting off, which in itself must eat into the 20 mins allowed for your empty run.
Boggle
07 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm #63

(07 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm)Jamie M That 30 mins between X21s also makes a huge difference, on a related note. The guy in front misses all the picktree lane stuff and all the slip lane chaos. I stay in the middle lane up past the services for that reason. People stuck indicating left onto A1231 on the left lane then just after the brow of the hill A194 southbound traffic and A195 departing traffic at the services. Apparently Birtley is just as bad, so I have the short straw by having that run at that time.

Yeah, it's amazing the difference 30 mins makes to the traffic.  It should calm down a bit after Christmas as you say, Newcastle is starting to get pretty manic which can't help.  I'm not convinced by those new lights next to the castle either, the timing really seems to back traffic up which means buses are struggling to get out at the bottom of the Bigg Market.

It seems that your X21 run is settling down timing-wise this week, which is good, although it looks like being on time for the 93 run is still going to be difficult, if not impossible, particularly given that you finish in Newburn pointing the wrong way for Team Valley so presumably have to go somewhere to turn before setting off, which in itself must eat into the 20 mins allowed for your empty run.

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 10:16 pm #64
(07 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm)Boggle Yeah, it's amazing the difference 30 mins makes to the traffic.  It should calm down a bit after Christmas as you say, Newcastle is starting to get pretty manic which can't help.  I'm not convinced by those new lights next to the castle either, the timing really seems to back traffic up which means buses are struggling to get out at the bottom of the Bigg Market.

I push the bus as much as itll do and I'm allowed to do (whilst being comfortably safe) on the X21. Teething issues have cleared. One of those days it was just hitting every red light and tonnes of idiots but now I can get through those gaps and issue fares quick enough to get on with it. I was so nervous of scraping those lovely B9s lol but now I've gotten used to it all. Had to also get riversides displays fitted onto 6017, the first day I had it, at gateshead on the way in light when I was due at gateshead on the way out because the controller had messed up.

Eldon square is enough chaos already without a bus saying "welcome aboard" on for a partial dupe journey.

After christmas it'll be easier for me too. I don't mind being late but it starts getting crazy and impractical when I'm covering a half shift 90 mins after I'm due to finish and I'm barely making it. But it's all good at the end of the day.

It's probably one of the most chaotic runs a new starter could have but I love a good ol' challenge
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 10:16 pm #64

(07 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm)Boggle Yeah, it's amazing the difference 30 mins makes to the traffic.  It should calm down a bit after Christmas as you say, Newcastle is starting to get pretty manic which can't help.  I'm not convinced by those new lights next to the castle either, the timing really seems to back traffic up which means buses are struggling to get out at the bottom of the Bigg Market.

I push the bus as much as itll do and I'm allowed to do (whilst being comfortably safe) on the X21. Teething issues have cleared. One of those days it was just hitting every red light and tonnes of idiots but now I can get through those gaps and issue fares quick enough to get on with it. I was so nervous of scraping those lovely B9s lol but now I've gotten used to it all. Had to also get riversides displays fitted onto 6017, the first day I had it, at gateshead on the way in light when I was due at gateshead on the way out because the controller had messed up.

Eldon square is enough chaos already without a bus saying "welcome aboard" on for a partial dupe journey.

After christmas it'll be easier for me too. I don't mind being late but it starts getting crazy and impractical when I'm covering a half shift 90 mins after I'm due to finish and I'm barely making it. But it's all good at the end of the day.

It's probably one of the most chaotic runs a new starter could have but I love a good ol' challenge

Boggle

07 Dec 2018, 10:34 pm #65
(07 Dec 2018, 10:16 pm)Jamie M I push the bus as much as itll do and I'm allowed to do (whilst being comfortably safe) on the X21. Teething issues have cleared. One of those days it was just hitting every red light and tonnes of idiots but now I can get through those gaps and issue fares quick enough to get on with it. I was so nervous of scraping those lovely B9s lol but now I've gotten used to it all. Had to also get riversides displays fitted onto 6017, the first day I had it, at gateshead on the way in light when I was due at gateshead on the way out because the controller had messed up.

Good stuff.  Hopefully it all settles down for you.
Boggle
07 Dec 2018, 10:34 pm #65

(07 Dec 2018, 10:16 pm)Jamie M I push the bus as much as itll do and I'm allowed to do (whilst being comfortably safe) on the X21. Teething issues have cleared. One of those days it was just hitting every red light and tonnes of idiots but now I can get through those gaps and issue fares quick enough to get on with it. I was so nervous of scraping those lovely B9s lol but now I've gotten used to it all. Had to also get riversides displays fitted onto 6017, the first day I had it, at gateshead on the way in light when I was due at gateshead on the way out because the controller had messed up.

Good stuff.  Hopefully it all settles down for you.

S830OFT

07 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm #66
(07 Dec 2018, 5:53 pm)Michael New announcement on the 8 "please take personal belongings and we hope to see you ride with Go North East again"

Or something like that

Sounds better

Sounds copied off Arriva Sapphire.
"We are now approaching the end of the route, please remain seated until the bus stops....
Thank You for travelling with Arriva on This Sapphire Service."

S830OFT
07 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm #66

(07 Dec 2018, 5:53 pm)Michael New announcement on the 8 "please take personal belongings and we hope to see you ride with Go North East again"

Or something like that

Sounds better

Sounds copied off Arriva Sapphire.
"We are now approaching the end of the route, please remain seated until the bus stops....

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 11:16 pm #67
(07 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm)S830OFT Sounds copied off Arriva Sapphire.
It also sounds like Shakin Steven's "Merry Christmas" on that basis, that probably shares the same amount of words.
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 11:16 pm #67

It also sounds like Shakin Steven's "Merry Christmas" on that basis, that probably shares the same amount of words.

07 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm #68
I think I've only ever been in 2 Sapphire services that have had the NSA enabled. And both of those it was too quiet to hear over the sound of the engine. The displays never work either, the other day it was in a boot loop so was constantly loading into XP
streetdeckfan
07 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm #68

I think I've only ever been in 2 Sapphire services that have had the NSA enabled. And both of those it was too quiet to hear over the sound of the engine. The displays never work either, the other day it was in a boot loop so was constantly loading into XP

S830OFT

07 Dec 2018, 11:23 pm #69
(07 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm)streetdeckfan I think I've only ever been in 2 Sapphire services that have had the NSA enabled. And both of those it was too quiet to hear over the sound of the engine. The displays never work either, the other day it was in a boot loop so was constantly loading into XP

Belmont driver told me before they complained about it being too loud so had it turned down on system settings, whatever they use.

S830OFT
07 Dec 2018, 11:23 pm #69

(07 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm)streetdeckfan I think I've only ever been in 2 Sapphire services that have had the NSA enabled. And both of those it was too quiet to hear over the sound of the engine. The displays never work either, the other day it was in a boot loop so was constantly loading into XP

Belmont driver told me before they complained about it being too loud so had it turned down on system settings, whatever they use.

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 11:27 pm #70
(07 Dec 2018, 11:23 pm)S830OFT Belmont driver told me before they complained about it being too loud so had it turned down on system settings, whatever they use.
Sounds about right. Or rather not as the case may be
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 11:27 pm #70

(07 Dec 2018, 11:23 pm)S830OFT Belmont driver told me before they complained about it being too loud so had it turned down on system settings, whatever they use.
Sounds about right. Or rather not as the case may be

07 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm #71
If anyone is interested in hearing it, I recorded it on my way back home tonight.
I'm not a big fan of the pronunciation of Go North East, it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the announcement

Hopefully this link to the audio will work

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0hIQcu8570s
streetdeckfan
07 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm #71

If anyone is interested in hearing it, I recorded it on my way back home tonight.
I'm not a big fan of the pronunciation of Go North East, it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the announcement

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm #72
(07 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm)streetdeckfan If anyone is interested in hearing it, I recorded it on my way back home tonight.

Im passive about it, it does the job, what else is expected from it?

Means people who are idling and staring out the window or upstairs know to come downstairs so drivers are less likely to have to convince anyone that the terminus theyre at is genuinely the terminus..
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm #72

(07 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm)streetdeckfan If anyone is interested in hearing it, I recorded it on my way back home tonight.

Im passive about it, it does the job, what else is expected from it?

Means people who are idling and staring out the window or upstairs know to come downstairs so drivers are less likely to have to convince anyone that the terminus theyre at is genuinely the terminus..

07 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm #73
(07 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm)Jamie M Im passive about it, it does the job, what else is expected from it?

I wonder how it acts with the evening X21 which changes to the 21 at Durham, I've never really taken notice before but if it is telling passengers that bus terminates at the next stop it could cause confusion, but I imagine GNE have already thought of this and it won't be a problem
streetdeckfan
07 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm #73

(07 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm)Jamie M Im passive about it, it does the job, what else is expected from it?

I wonder how it acts with the evening X21 which changes to the 21 at Durham, I've never really taken notice before but if it is telling passengers that bus terminates at the next stop it could cause confusion, but I imagine GNE have already thought of this and it won't be a problem

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Dec 2018, 11:46 pm #74
(07 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder how it acts with the evening X21 which changes to the 21 at Durham, I've never really taken notice before but if it is telling passengers that bus terminates at the next stop it could cause confusion, but I imagine GNE have already thought of this and it won't be a problem
X21 and X21E are different options and different routes so can be made to work differently. I'd imagine no such message plays since some journeys may terminate at durham without connecting.
Jamie M
07 Dec 2018, 11:46 pm #74

(07 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder how it acts with the evening X21 which changes to the 21 at Durham, I've never really taken notice before but if it is telling passengers that bus terminates at the next stop it could cause confusion, but I imagine GNE have already thought of this and it won't be a problem
X21 and X21E are different options and different routes so can be made to work differently. I'd imagine no such message plays since some journeys may terminate at durham without connecting.

BusLoverMum

08 Dec 2018, 12:23 am #75
(07 Dec 2018, 9:04 pm)streetdeckfan It was said in jest but now I come to think about it, it's not that untrue
I think the Streetlite suits services like the 49 perfectly because the roads are half decent, but the 45/46 feels like you're going to shatter.
Same with the Streetdecks, they're great for the 21, but with the X21 the engine noise is borderline unbearable on the motoroway, in my opinion anyway.

Don't the 21 and X21 Street decks have completely different engines? 

Different suspension, too. The 21 is far less bouncy.

(07 Dec 2018, 11:27 pm)Jamie M Sounds about right. Or rather not as the case may be

They were initially deafening on the 22, but became so unobtrusive as to be inaudible, when they were tweaked. Only potentially annoying on the vehicles with non working visual displays. Ie a few of the 22 streetlites and all the 24 pulsars.
Edited 08 Dec 2018, 12:27 am by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
08 Dec 2018, 12:23 am #75

(07 Dec 2018, 9:04 pm)streetdeckfan It was said in jest but now I come to think about it, it's not that untrue
I think the Streetlite suits services like the 49 perfectly because the roads are half decent, but the 45/46 feels like you're going to shatter.
Same with the Streetdecks, they're great for the 21, but with the X21 the engine noise is borderline unbearable on the motoroway, in my opinion anyway.

Don't the 21 and X21 Street decks have completely different engines? 

Different suspension, too. The 21 is far less bouncy.

(07 Dec 2018, 11:27 pm)Jamie M Sounds about right. Or rather not as the case may be

They were initially deafening on the 22, but became so unobtrusive as to be inaudible, when they were tweaked. Only potentially annoying on the vehicles with non working visual displays. Ie a few of the 22 streetlites and all the 24 pulsars.

Stanleyone

08 Dec 2018, 6:27 am #76
Just a quick question for Jamie, do GNE have any boards that don't require buses with ramps?, DDA regs spring to mind. I am pretty sure GNE got rid of the final bus without a ramp earlier this year, i am happy to be corrected of course.
Stanleyone
08 Dec 2018, 6:27 am #76

Just a quick question for Jamie, do GNE have any boards that don't require buses with ramps?, DDA regs spring to mind. I am pretty sure GNE got rid of the final bus without a ramp earlier this year, i am happy to be corrected of course.

Jamie M

Unregistered

08 Dec 2018, 7:57 am #77
(08 Dec 2018, 6:27 am)Stanleyone Just a quick question for Jamie, do GNE have any boards that don't require buses with ramps?, DDA regs spring to mind. I am pretty sure GNE got rid of the final bus without a ramp earlier this year, i am happy to be corrected of course.
Problem with bus stations is the ramp has to be at the front. Dual door buses have ramps in the middle which makes them inaccessible at eldon square.
Jamie M
08 Dec 2018, 7:57 am #77

(08 Dec 2018, 6:27 am)Stanleyone Just a quick question for Jamie, do GNE have any boards that don't require buses with ramps?, DDA regs spring to mind. I am pretty sure GNE got rid of the final bus without a ramp earlier this year, i am happy to be corrected of course.
Problem with bus stations is the ramp has to be at the front. Dual door buses have ramps in the middle which makes them inaccessible at eldon square.

Boggle

08 Dec 2018, 10:08 am #78
(08 Dec 2018, 7:57 am)Jamie M Problem with bus stations is the ramp has to be at the front. Dual door buses have ramps in the middle which makes them inaccessible at eldon square.

That must make allocation difficult for those scholars boards which run into normal service afterwards. Thinking of the 10X when leaves Eldon Square at 16:52, that is regularly a dual door bus. Likewise, quite a few peak 309 runs out of Haymarket seem to be.
Edited 08 Dec 2018, 10:10 am by Boggle.
Boggle
08 Dec 2018, 10:08 am #78

(08 Dec 2018, 7:57 am)Jamie M Problem with bus stations is the ramp has to be at the front. Dual door buses have ramps in the middle which makes them inaccessible at eldon square.

That must make allocation difficult for those scholars boards which run into normal service afterwards. Thinking of the 10X when leaves Eldon Square at 16:52, that is regularly a dual door bus. Likewise, quite a few peak 309 runs out of Haymarket seem to be.

Michael

08 Dec 2018, 10:20 am #79
(07 Dec 2018, 7:04 pm)Jamie M Here's for your daily confused face moment if that wasn't enough.

[Image: 46220072441_de0078cc2d_o.jpg]? / ? - Wright Streetlite by Jamie GNE, on Flickr

Start guessing! Where's dan when you want something from him..

Anymore info on this?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Dec 2018, 10:20 am #79

(07 Dec 2018, 7:04 pm)Jamie M Here's for your daily confused face moment if that wasn't enough.

[Image: 46220072441_de0078cc2d_o.jpg]? / ? - Wright Streetlite by Jamie GNE, on Flickr

Start guessing! Where's dan when you want something from him..

Anymore info on this?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

08 Dec 2018, 11:44 am #80
(08 Dec 2018, 10:20 am)Michael Anymore info on this?

Registration of SK68TXP
Edited 08 Dec 2018, 11:45 am by NewcastleOne.
NewcastleOne
08 Dec 2018, 11:44 am #80

(08 Dec 2018, 10:20 am)Michael Anymore info on this?

Registration of SK68TXP

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average