Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (147): Previous 135 36 37147 Next
26 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm #701
(26 Jan 2020, 10:22 pm)ASX_Terranova I would rather shop in eldon square, because i think the x66 gets too crowded.
Would Increasing X1 and diverting it over to the Metrocentre work. Maybe off peak X1A's.
Or X22 to The Galleries, Withdraw X88 as well.

Has removing the 36 in may 2019, caused any issues. The Herringtons have gone from 6 buses to two to sunderland. Even around 2002 you had the 142, 160, 161, 163 & 164.

That's one of the reasons why I go to the Metrocentre from Gateshead on the 1A. Nobody else is stupid enough to do it so it's always empty!

The X66 is an awful experience, the capacity is far too low, especially during peak times. It's not uncommon to have to wait until the next one because the queue is too long
streetdeckfan
26 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm #701

(26 Jan 2020, 10:22 pm)ASX_Terranova I would rather shop in eldon square, because i think the x66 gets too crowded.
Would Increasing X1 and diverting it over to the Metrocentre work. Maybe off peak X1A's.
Or X22 to The Galleries, Withdraw X88 as well.

Has removing the 36 in may 2019, caused any issues. The Herringtons have gone from 6 buses to two to sunderland. Even around 2002 you had the 142, 160, 161, 163 & 164.

That's one of the reasons why I go to the Metrocentre from Gateshead on the 1A. Nobody else is stupid enough to do it so it's always empty!

The X66 is an awful experience, the capacity is far too low, especially during peak times. It's not uncommon to have to wait until the next one because the queue is too long

26 Jan 2020, 11:54 pm #702
(26 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm)Malarkey Q3 - North Shields - Billy Mill - North Tyneside Hospital - Cobalt - Wallsend - Walker - St Peter's Basin - Ouseburn - Quayside - Newcastle City Centre - Gosforth - Regent Centre - Great Park - Wideopen - Killingworth
Q4 - North Shields - Royal Quays - Howdon - Roshill - Wallsend - Walker - St Peter's Basin - Ouseburn - Quayside - Newcastle City Centre - Gosforth - Regent Centre - Great Park - Wideopen - Dinnington - Newcastle Airport - Kingston Park
Every 15 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday, Every 30 Minutes on a Sunday

42 - Kingston Park - Newcastle Airport - Dinnington - Wideopen - Annitsford - Burradon - Killingworth - Forest Hall - West Moor - Quorum Business Park - Four Lane Ends - Longbenton - Benton Asda - Wallend
42A - Killingworth - Forest Hall - Benton Asda - Wallend
Every 30 Minutes Monday to Saturday, Service 42 operating Hourly on a Sunday only

Interesting suggestions.

I wonder if a Quaylink service could be extended to run between Gosforth and Kingston Park. 

I don't think North Shields and Cobalt need any more buses. Also you have a lot of similarities with the Q4 and 42 services.

GNE could do something with these suggestions.
OrangeArrow49
26 Jan 2020, 11:54 pm #702

(26 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm)Malarkey Q3 - North Shields - Billy Mill - North Tyneside Hospital - Cobalt - Wallsend - Walker - St Peter's Basin - Ouseburn - Quayside - Newcastle City Centre - Gosforth - Regent Centre - Great Park - Wideopen - Killingworth
Q4 - North Shields - Royal Quays - Howdon - Roshill - Wallsend - Walker - St Peter's Basin - Ouseburn - Quayside - Newcastle City Centre - Gosforth - Regent Centre - Great Park - Wideopen - Dinnington - Newcastle Airport - Kingston Park
Every 15 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday, Every 30 Minutes on a Sunday

42 - Kingston Park - Newcastle Airport - Dinnington - Wideopen - Annitsford - Burradon - Killingworth - Forest Hall - West Moor - Quorum Business Park - Four Lane Ends - Longbenton - Benton Asda - Wallend
42A - Killingworth - Forest Hall - Benton Asda - Wallend
Every 30 Minutes Monday to Saturday, Service 42 operating Hourly on a Sunday only

Interesting suggestions.

I wonder if a Quaylink service could be extended to run between Gosforth and Kingston Park. 

I don't think North Shields and Cobalt need any more buses. Also you have a lot of similarities with the Q4 and 42 services.

27 Jan 2020, 12:41 am #703
(26 Jan 2020, 11:54 pm)OrangeArrow49 Interesting suggestions.

At what point does it stop being 'Quaylink' and just 'Shove everywhere north of the Tyne on to this brand-link'
streetdeckfan
27 Jan 2020, 12:41 am #703

At what point does it stop being 'Quaylink' and just 'Shove everywhere north of the Tyne on to this brand-link'

Malarkey

27 Jan 2020, 3:29 pm #704

Basically what I have done is split the 11/42 and merged them with the Q3 in parts to form the Q3/Q4 with an extension up to Kingston Park.

I have then left the latter part of the 42 as it is now but as the 42A and created an alternative 42 going via the Quorum/Four Lane Ends reinstating lost links for the old Nexus 353 and K prefixed services which were operated by Pheonix again on behalf of Nexus.
Malarkey
27 Jan 2020, 3:29 pm #704

Basically what I have done is split the 11/42 and merged them with the Q3 in parts to form the Q3/Q4 with an extension up to Kingston Park.

I have then left the latter part of the 42 as it is now but as the 42A and created an alternative 42 going via the Quorum/Four Lane Ends reinstating lost links for the old Nexus 353 and K prefixed services which were operated by Pheonix again on behalf of Nexus.

31 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm #705
79: Newcastle Eldon Square - Gosforth - Airport - Kirkley Hall improving links between Newcastle and Kirkley Hall and creating a new link between Gosforth and Kirkley Hall.

Stagecoach X79 only runs twice a day Monday to Friday, so GNE or another operator could operate a new service, infrequently, at other times.
OrangeArrow49
31 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm #705

79: Newcastle Eldon Square - Gosforth - Airport - Kirkley Hall improving links between Newcastle and Kirkley Hall and creating a new link between Gosforth and Kirkley Hall.

Stagecoach X79 only runs twice a day Monday to Friday, so GNE or another operator could operate a new service, infrequently, at other times.

big mac

03 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm #706
(26 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm)streetdeckfan That's one of the reasons why I go to the Metrocentre from Gateshead on the 1A. Nobody else is stupid enough to do it so it's always empty!

Is there any GNE service which has regressed as much as the x66 over the last decade or so, because I can't think of one?
It used to be treated as their flagship route with the articulated buses and loads of marketing about it being non stop and connecting to loads of other services etc. Now it has buses on it that aren't suitable for the route because of the capacity, isn't non stop and doesn't get "plugged" very much GNE. 
Why has it declined so much?
big mac
03 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm #706

(26 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm)streetdeckfan That's one of the reasons why I go to the Metrocentre from Gateshead on the 1A. Nobody else is stupid enough to do it so it's always empty!

Is there any GNE service which has regressed as much as the x66 over the last decade or so, because I can't think of one?
It used to be treated as their flagship route with the articulated buses and loads of marketing about it being non stop and connecting to loads of other services etc. Now it has buses on it that aren't suitable for the route because of the capacity, isn't non stop and doesn't get "plugged" very much GNE. 

Andreos1

03 Feb 2020, 6:30 pm #707
(03 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm)big mac Is there any GNE service which has regressed as much as the x66 over the last decade or so, because I can't think of one?

Lack of cash fares? 
I would guess the majority of punters have already bought a ticket of some sort on an previous bus and with the business model being aligned in such a way, isn't going to be much of a revenue earner. 
Picking up CAT passes to/from asda and IKEA is one way to add revenue I suppose.
Fairly limited without it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Feb 2020, 6:30 pm #707

(03 Feb 2020, 6:13 pm)big mac Is there any GNE service which has regressed as much as the x66 over the last decade or so, because I can't think of one?

Lack of cash fares? 
I would guess the majority of punters have already bought a ticket of some sort on an previous bus and with the business model being aligned in such a way, isn't going to be much of a revenue earner. 
Picking up CAT passes to/from asda and IKEA is one way to add revenue I suppose.
Fairly limited without it.

JP6004

19 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm #708
(19 Feb 2020, 12:46 pm)NEB2020 Suggestions...

1) IndiGo - Repaint Green & Rebrand 'Villager' 
> Washington Villager
> East Durham Villager

2) New Open Top Service - Breeze
> Sunderland - South Shields
> Route: Fawcett Street, Docks, Glass Centre,
                Roker, Whitburn, Marsden, SS Ferry.
> Transfer ToonTour Buses To Deptford (Allows For Replacements On ToonTour & Gives Opportunity To Keep Them A Little Bit Longer - Otherwise It Was Pointless Branding Them).

Villager name quite good, although cant see another open top service especially covering that distance
JP6004
19 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm #708

(19 Feb 2020, 12:46 pm)NEB2020 Suggestions...

1) IndiGo - Repaint Green & Rebrand 'Villager' 
> Washington Villager
> East Durham Villager

2) New Open Top Service - Breeze
> Sunderland - South Shields
> Route: Fawcett Street, Docks, Glass Centre,
                Roker, Whitburn, Marsden, SS Ferry.
> Transfer ToonTour Buses To Deptford (Allows For Replacements On ToonTour & Gives Opportunity To Keep Them A Little Bit Longer - Otherwise It Was Pointless Branding Them).

Villager name quite good, although cant see another open top service especially covering that distance

19 Feb 2020, 2:14 pm #709
(19 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm)JP6004 Villager name quite good, although cant see another open top service especially covering that distance
Might get more youths travelling as they can pretend they're in Minecraft!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
19 Feb 2020, 2:14 pm #709

(19 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm)JP6004 Villager name quite good, although cant see another open top service especially covering that distance
Might get more youths travelling as they can pretend they're in Minecraft!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Storx

25 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm #710
Since the demise of the 19 I was thinking of a way of getting it to work however this would involve 2 councils, possibly Cobalt, and the NHS all working together.

20 (Hourly): 42/42A Route from North Shields to Cobalt, direct to Earsdon via Shiremoor skipping Northumberland Park, 19 bus route to Ashington, extended to Wansbeck Hospital
20A (Hourly): Same as 20 until Boghouses then 58 bus route to East Hartford

These buses would be branded for the NHS and be an extended shuttle bus linking all the three hospitals together as currently it's very difficult to get between them. There would also be discounted fares between Shiremoor Metro and Northumbria Hospital which would give a frequent but a reasonable priced fare between the hospital, Seaton Delaval and Holywell to the Metro which you can't really do currently without going via Newcastle or back tracking via West Monkseaton which is 3Z on the Metro. I know if it was marketed well it could become popular as the X7 is too slow at peak times but the current 19 is too expensive.

This would replace the 58, the 335 between North Shields and Cobalt and the Northumberland NHS Shuttles Buses and get all the subsidies which go into all 3 but creates lots of new links such as East Hartford to anywhere, the links between the 3 hospitals and keep the Cobalt link for SE Northumberland and also may help with the serious parking issues at the new hospital. You would lose the 2 daily service from Seaton Sluice to Cramlington however but they carry fresh anyway atm.
Storx
25 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm #710

Since the demise of the 19 I was thinking of a way of getting it to work however this would involve 2 councils, possibly Cobalt, and the NHS all working together.

20 (Hourly): 42/42A Route from North Shields to Cobalt, direct to Earsdon via Shiremoor skipping Northumberland Park, 19 bus route to Ashington, extended to Wansbeck Hospital

These buses would be branded for the NHS and be an extended shuttle bus linking all the three hospitals together as currently it's very difficult to get between them. There would also be discounted fares between Shiremoor Metro and Northumbria Hospital which would give a frequent but a reasonable priced fare between the hospital, Seaton Delaval and Holywell to the Metro which you can't really do currently without going via Newcastle or back tracking via West Monkseaton which is 3Z on the Metro. I know if it was marketed well it could become popular as the X7 is too slow at peak times but the current 19 is too expensive.

This would replace the 58, the 335 between North Shields and Cobalt and the Northumberland NHS Shuttles Buses and get all the subsidies which go into all 3 but creates lots of new links such as East Hartford to anywhere, the links between the 3 hospitals and keep the Cobalt link for SE Northumberland and also may help with the serious parking issues at the new hospital. You would lose the 2 daily service from Seaton Sluice to Cramlington however but they carry fresh anyway atm.

GNE6312

26 Feb 2020, 8:34 am #711
(25 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm)Storx Since the demise of the 19 I was thinking of a way of getting it to work however this would involve 2 councils, possibly Cobalt, and the NHS all working together.

The 58 isn't GNEs service to replace it is arriva operated and an NCC contract
GNE6312
26 Feb 2020, 8:34 am #711

(25 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm)Storx Since the demise of the 19 I was thinking of a way of getting it to work however this would involve 2 councils, possibly Cobalt, and the NHS all working together.

The 58 isn't GNEs service to replace it is arriva operated and an NCC contract

Andreos1

26 Feb 2020, 11:19 am #712

It's that word again. 
It keeps cropping up over and over. 

I bought a 24 hour ticket at the weekend. I needed to use the bus the following day. 
A mate (who didn't need to use the bus the next day), bought a single for the same trip.
I paid just over £3 more to use the bus as much as I wanted the next day in addition to the one-off journey we made that day.

I've no doubt who got the bargain and who got ripped off.

Getting back to the subject of the 19. It has indeed slowly started to fall away over the years. 
After the initial fanfare of 'special vehicles' and all the funding its attracted over the years at various points of the route, we are now seeing it operate as a shadow of its former self.

Andreos1
26 Feb 2020, 11:19 am #712

It's that word again. 

I bought a 24 hour ticket at the weekend. I needed to use the bus the following day. 
A mate (who didn't need to use the bus the next day), bought a single for the same trip.
I paid just over £3 more to use the bus as much as I wanted the next day in addition to the one-off journey we made that day.

Getting back to the subject of the 19. It has indeed slowly started to fall away over the years. 
After the initial fanfare of 'special vehicles' and all the funding its attracted over the years at various points of the route, we are now seeing it operate as a shadow of its former self.

Storx

26 Feb 2020, 11:19 am #713
(26 Feb 2020, 8:34 am)GNE6312 The 58 isn't GNEs service to replace it is arriva operated and an NCC contract

Yeah I know it's why I mentioned it needs NCC, Nexus (for the 335 part) and the NHS to work together for it to work. The 58 is partly funded both by the council and the Northumberland NHS Trust. I'm sure the Health Trust would much prefer a service linking their hospitals and their admin functions at Cobalt rather than a bus to just Cramlington.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ran by GNE, Arriva could run it either but I just put it here since its mainly for replacing 2 GNE routes.
Storx
26 Feb 2020, 11:19 am #713

(26 Feb 2020, 8:34 am)GNE6312 The 58 isn't GNEs service to replace it is arriva operated and an NCC contract

Yeah I know it's why I mentioned it needs NCC, Nexus (for the 335 part) and the NHS to work together for it to work. The 58 is partly funded both by the council and the Northumberland NHS Trust. I'm sure the Health Trust would much prefer a service linking their hospitals and their admin functions at Cobalt rather than a bus to just Cramlington.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ran by GNE, Arriva could run it either but I just put it here since its mainly for replacing 2 GNE routes.

26 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm #714
(26 Feb 2020, 11:19 am)Andreos1 It's that word again. 

As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

I don't know about the figures, but I'd imagine the amount of people buying single tickets is quite low compared to buying returns or day tickets.
The last time I bought a single ticket was when I realised that I'd left my pass in the house and went back to get it (I got a lift to the bus station). Even before that I started paying for the monthly ticket, I would always buy day tickets because I'd be travelling on at least 2 buses to get anywhere (and unless you live in or only travel to a city centre, or happen to only travel along one route, you probably will too).
Plus, I'm the sort of person that would spend the extra to get a day ticket and once I've finished just go to Hexham, or the beach, or anywhere interesting really!
streetdeckfan
26 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm #714

As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

I don't know about the figures, but I'd imagine the amount of people buying single tickets is quite low compared to buying returns or day tickets.
The last time I bought a single ticket was when I realised that I'd left my pass in the house and went back to get it (I got a lift to the bus station). Even before that I started paying for the monthly ticket, I would always buy day tickets because I'd be travelling on at least 2 buses to get anywhere (and unless you live in or only travel to a city centre, or happen to only travel along one route, you probably will too).
Plus, I'm the sort of person that would spend the extra to get a day ticket and once I've finished just go to Hexham, or the beach, or anywhere interesting really!

26 Feb 2020, 12:11 pm #715
streetdeckfan As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

My wife spent years buying single tickets because she didn't realise that returns were a thing!  I guess if the operators don't advertise them, how would people know?

(I didn't know because I'm also on day tickets of some kind or another ….. why take one bus when you can take twenty??!!!)
Ianthegoon
26 Feb 2020, 12:11 pm #715

streetdeckfan As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

My wife spent years buying single tickets because she didn't realise that returns were a thing!  I guess if the operators don't advertise them, how would people know?

(I didn't know because I'm also on day tickets of some kind or another ….. why take one bus when you can take twenty??!!!)

26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #716
(26 Feb 2020, 12:11 pm)Ianthegoon My wife spent years buying single tickets because she didn't realise that returns were a thing!  I guess if the operators don't advertise them, how would people know?

From my experience of listening over people's conversations, if you don't specify that you want a single ticket, the drivers will always ask if you want a single or a return. And to be quite honest, I've heard quite a few people say 'oh, can you get a return?' back to the driver, so I do get why she wouldn't know. 
I personally think return tickets are going to become a thing of the past soon enough, they already are on quite a number of routes with them being the same price as a day ticket (and I believe drivers are supposed to be telling passengers that they're the same price, although I've seen quite a few not doing that)

Before I got my monthly pass, I was a student so was able to get the student day tickets for about £4, a single ticket on the X21 was more than that!
What I also used to do was buy the three day tickets on The Key as I was only at college 3 and a half days a week and the extra day I would just get dropped off. On the half day, I would just go out and explore for the rest of the day. What I would do is get the next bus that arrived at Gateshead, I remember one time I went to Middlesbrough and I think I managed about 15 minutes there before I got on the same bus straight back up!
streetdeckfan
26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #716

(26 Feb 2020, 12:11 pm)Ianthegoon My wife spent years buying single tickets because she didn't realise that returns were a thing!  I guess if the operators don't advertise them, how would people know?

From my experience of listening over people's conversations, if you don't specify that you want a single ticket, the drivers will always ask if you want a single or a return. And to be quite honest, I've heard quite a few people say 'oh, can you get a return?' back to the driver, so I do get why she wouldn't know. 
I personally think return tickets are going to become a thing of the past soon enough, they already are on quite a number of routes with them being the same price as a day ticket (and I believe drivers are supposed to be telling passengers that they're the same price, although I've seen quite a few not doing that)

Before I got my monthly pass, I was a student so was able to get the student day tickets for about £4, a single ticket on the X21 was more than that!
What I also used to do was buy the three day tickets on The Key as I was only at college 3 and a half days a week and the extra day I would just get dropped off. On the half day, I would just go out and explore for the rest of the day. What I would do is get the next bus that arrived at Gateshead, I remember one time I went to Middlesbrough and I think I managed about 15 minutes there before I got on the same bus straight back up!

Andreos1

26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #717
(26 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

Whether the amount of people buying singles or not, is low doesn't matter. 
There is a market for them and they need to priced in such a way that people find them attractive and it encourages people to use the bus. 

I often need to buy singles due to the nature of my work. 
I get the train to the station, use the train to another part of the country and come back a day or two later. 
I won't be the only one and it costs a fortune for me to use the bus in this manner (check out Houghton - Durham single fares). 

Prior to the weekend, I last used the bus in mid December. Circumstances meant I had to buy a single then (check out the price of a single from Newcastle - Houghton). 

If the 24 hour tickets hadn't been launched, then both mine and MrsC's ticket at the weekend would have been a single, alongside the one my mate bought. 
It would have been a single for both myself and MrsC the following day too.
The cost of each of those singles just fall below the cost of a day ticket.
It would have been nice to have gone to Hexham or the beach, but time and circumstances didn't allow us to do so. As I imagine it wouldn't quite a few others.

Andreos1
26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm #717

(26 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm)streetdeckfan As I've mentioned before, for the one off journey, buses aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't say they're expensive either. Plus, with the changes last year it's often the same price for a return as it is for a day ticket.

Whether the amount of people buying singles or not, is low doesn't matter. 
There is a market for them and they need to priced in such a way that people find them attractive and it encourages people to use the bus. 

I get the train to the station, use the train to another part of the country and come back a day or two later. 
I won't be the only one and it costs a fortune for me to use the bus in this manner (check out Houghton - Durham single fares). 

Prior to the weekend, I last used the bus in mid December. Circumstances meant I had to buy a single then (check out the price of a single from Newcastle - Houghton). 

If the 24 hour tickets hadn't been launched, then both mine and MrsC's ticket at the weekend would have been a single, alongside the one my mate bought. 
It would have been nice to have gone to Hexham or the beach, but time and circumstances didn't allow us to do so. As I imagine it wouldn't quite a few others.

26 Feb 2020, 12:53 pm #718
(26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm)Andreos1 Whether the amount of people buying singles or not, is low doesn't matter. 

My point was that those people who you say should be encouraged to use the bus are probably not the sort of person that will be going to the train station.
The average person probably wants to go back home once they've been out, and as such will more than likely want a return ticket if they're just travelling along one route, or a day ticket if they have to change buses.

To me anyway, it's the difference between buying a single bottle of water and buying a 6 pack for only a little bit more. The single ticket is there to take advantage of those who only need a one off trip, the very fact that they're buying that single ticket and not a day ticket tells them that they're not a regular passenger.
Plus, you have to take in to account that the costs that would normally be spread out with a day/return ticket are only being used once. You have the card processing fee if they're paying by card (usually about 2%), paper, driver's time (selecting ticket, counting change etc.). Sure, it's not a lot, but it all adds up.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing the average amount of times a day ticket is used, my guess is probably 3 (with most people using it 4 times ie. two buses out, two buses in, with a slightly less amount of people using it essentially as a return ticket)
streetdeckfan
26 Feb 2020, 12:53 pm #718

(26 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm)Andreos1 Whether the amount of people buying singles or not, is low doesn't matter. 

My point was that those people who you say should be encouraged to use the bus are probably not the sort of person that will be going to the train station.
The average person probably wants to go back home once they've been out, and as such will more than likely want a return ticket if they're just travelling along one route, or a day ticket if they have to change buses.

To me anyway, it's the difference between buying a single bottle of water and buying a 6 pack for only a little bit more. The single ticket is there to take advantage of those who only need a one off trip, the very fact that they're buying that single ticket and not a day ticket tells them that they're not a regular passenger.
Plus, you have to take in to account that the costs that would normally be spread out with a day/return ticket are only being used once. You have the card processing fee if they're paying by card (usually about 2%), paper, driver's time (selecting ticket, counting change etc.). Sure, it's not a lot, but it all adds up.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing the average amount of times a day ticket is used, my guess is probably 3 (with most people using it 4 times ie. two buses out, two buses in, with a slightly less amount of people using it essentially as a return ticket)

Storx

26 Feb 2020, 1:06 pm #719

It's a weird one the 19, if I'm right it was the first bus to be branded in the newer styles (full branding). I might be wrong there, if so what was it? Yet nowadays it's just nothing really.

Bit off topic here but totally forgot about it until you mentioned it and it's still imo the nicest livery GNE has ever had as it was basic yet modern before they went stupid and overboard. Same with the original Cobalt Clipper.

These for those who can't remember:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stagecoachuk/10853794106 - Route 19
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ten6083/30188664468 - Cobalt Clipper

Pretty much the 22, 309, 310, X39, X6, 22X and the lot have killed it tho as you can get most places direct now without changing.

The problem is the 19 is it's £3.10 for a single and £5.30 for a return from Seaton Delaval to Northumberland Park. Once you then add on the metro on top of that at your talking £8.50 - £10.60 a day depending on where your going. Even with passes you can't get it down that much possibly down to the £7.40 mark. (It's upto £150 a month).

Until realistic multi operator tickets exist for the whole of the N. East your never going to sort traffic problems out, putting bike lanes in Gosforth isn't going to solve the issues with people driving from SE Northumberland and with prices like that it's not realistic to use public transport. That's nearly 2 hours a day of some peoples wages.
Storx
26 Feb 2020, 1:06 pm #719

It's a weird one the 19, if I'm right it was the first bus to be branded in the newer styles (full branding). I might be wrong there, if so what was it? Yet nowadays it's just nothing really.

Bit off topic here but totally forgot about it until you mentioned it and it's still imo the nicest livery GNE has ever had as it was basic yet modern before they went stupid and overboard. Same with the original Cobalt Clipper.

These for those who can't remember:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stagecoachuk/10853794106 - Route 19
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ten6083/30188664468 - Cobalt Clipper

Pretty much the 22, 309, 310, X39, X6, 22X and the lot have killed it tho as you can get most places direct now without changing.

The problem is the 19 is it's £3.10 for a single and £5.30 for a return from Seaton Delaval to Northumberland Park. Once you then add on the metro on top of that at your talking £8.50 - £10.60 a day depending on where your going. Even with passes you can't get it down that much possibly down to the £7.40 mark. (It's upto £150 a month).

Until realistic multi operator tickets exist for the whole of the N. East your never going to sort traffic problems out, putting bike lanes in Gosforth isn't going to solve the issues with people driving from SE Northumberland and with prices like that it's not realistic to use public transport. That's nearly 2 hours a day of some peoples wages.

Rob44

26 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm #720
Seen as we are on about day tickets.... are they transferable? On the ones ive had ive not notice anything to say that you cant pass it on to someone else after your done with it?
Rob44
26 Feb 2020, 1:07 pm #720

Seen as we are on about day tickets.... are they transferable? On the ones ive had ive not notice anything to say that you cant pass it on to someone else after your done with it?

Pages (147): Previous 135 36 37147 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average