Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (11) Previous 19 10 11 Next
Ryland

26 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm #181
(26 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm)scanialover Must a struck a chord there. Others are talking about the service changes and current situation but here we are worried that a broken down old Dart has gone missing. Has gone the same place has a lot of the fleet will if things continue!!
Was a simple question was wondering whether or not it was still in service
Ryland
26 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm #181

(26 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm)scanialover Must a struck a chord there. Others are talking about the service changes and current situation but here we are worried that a broken down old Dart has gone missing. Has gone the same place has a lot of the fleet will if things continue!!
Was a simple question was wondering whether or not it was still in service

26 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm #182
Same as mine. A genuine and serious attempt to look at the problems and issues being faced by our operators at present. It can't go on!!
scanialover
26 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm #182

Same as mine. A genuine and serious attempt to look at the problems and issues being faced by our operators at present. It can't go on!!

26 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm #183
I'm thinking that I've seen it somewhere that both 1759 and 4516, both ex Dormanstown have actually being permanently withdrawn from service and now probably scrapped. A shame really.
scanialover
26 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm #183

I'm thinking that I've seen it somewhere that both 1759 and 4516, both ex Dormanstown have actually being permanently withdrawn from service and now probably scrapped. A shame really.

26 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm #184
Nearly another idea? Service X93 currently operated by Whitby (Dormanstown). Doesn't need double deck vehicles presently and an hourly service, entire route will more than suffice. Take the Decker's into storage elsewhere, operate the service out of Stockton using VDL's. Only problem with it would be Whitby town services?
scanialover
26 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm #184

Nearly another idea? Service X93 currently operated by Whitby (Dormanstown). Doesn't need double deck vehicles presently and an hourly service, entire route will more than suffice. Take the Decker's into storage elsewhere, operate the service out of Stockton using VDL's. Only problem with it would be Whitby town services?

mb134

26 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm #185
(26 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm)scanialover I'm thinking that I've seen it somewhere that both 1759 and 4516, both ex Dormanstown have actually being permanently withdrawn from service and now probably scrapped. A shame really.

4516 is/was on loan with Yorkshire Tiger. Looks to have been given the spare ticket machine at Huddersfield so is possibly still in action there.
mb134
26 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm #185

(26 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm)scanialover I'm thinking that I've seen it somewhere that both 1759 and 4516, both ex Dormanstown have actually being permanently withdrawn from service and now probably scrapped. A shame really.

4516 is/was on loan with Yorkshire Tiger. Looks to have been given the spare ticket machine at Huddersfield so is possibly still in action there.

Cock Robin

26 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm #186
(26 Mar 2020, 5:52 pm)Ryland Is 1759 still at redcar or has it been moved on every time I pass the depot i can't seem to see it

It was VOR against the fence last two times I've been down. Had only just been re-tested!

Get real, it's supposed to be an enthusiasts forum.

(26 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm)Ryland Was a simple question was wondering whether or not it was still in service

Well said.

Neither of them have been scrapped. 4516 is on loan to Yorkshire Tiger.

(26 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm)scanialover Nearly another idea? Service X93 currently operated by Whitby (Dormanstown). Doesn't need double deck vehicles presently and an hourly service, entire route will more than suffice. Take the Decker's into storage elsewhere, operate the service out of Stockton using VDL's. Only problem with it would be Whitby town services?

I doubt whether any service requires double deckers at the moment but no reason to swap the fleet round. The X93 is running less than hourly at the moment anyway.
Edited 26 Mar 2020, 10:24 pm by Cock Robin.
Cock Robin
26 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm #186

(26 Mar 2020, 5:52 pm)Ryland Is 1759 still at redcar or has it been moved on every time I pass the depot i can't seem to see it

It was VOR against the fence last two times I've been down. Had only just been re-tested!

(26 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm)Ryland Was a simple question was wondering whether or not it was still in service

Well said.

(26 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm)scanialover Nearly another idea? Service X93 currently operated by Whitby (Dormanstown). Doesn't need double deck vehicles presently and an hourly service, entire route will more than suffice. Take the Decker's into storage elsewhere, operate the service out of Stockton using VDL's. Only problem with it would be Whitby town services?

I doubt whether any service requires double deckers at the moment but no reason to swap the fleet round. The X93 is running less than hourly at the moment anyway.

Storx

26 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm #187

It's much more complicated than your making it out here. It's all good closing depots but you're going to have to still pay your staff which will be one of a bus operators biggest expense so you might aswell have them doing something useful when your paying them unless you do a Tim Martin and say I'm not paying you but you'll get your 80% in June go work for Tesco.

The last thing any bus company wants is:
'I'm a NHS nurse and I can't get to work' 
or
'Bus drivers asked to take unpaid leave during Coronavirus pandemic'

At the end of day I'm sure there will be some help from the government to help them out but it shouldn't be fed to them on a plate, at the end of the day these are large national companies and if they fail to have any form of disaster planning then that's their own problem. I hope it goes the same way as they've said they will for the airline industry, in that they'll purchase part of the company in return for money so it's not a loss to the tax payer as at the end of the day these are the same companies that have made millions from us over the years and haven't exactly done much to deserve it.
Storx
26 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm #187

It's much more complicated than your making it out here. It's all good closing depots but you're going to have to still pay your staff which will be one of a bus operators biggest expense so you might aswell have them doing something useful when your paying them unless you do a Tim Martin and say I'm not paying you but you'll get your 80% in June go work for Tesco.

or

At the end of day I'm sure there will be some help from the government to help them out but it shouldn't be fed to them on a plate, at the end of the day these are large national companies and if they fail to have any form of disaster planning then that's their own problem. I hope it goes the same way as they've said they will for the airline industry, in that they'll purchase part of the company in return for money so it's not a loss to the tax payer as at the end of the day these are the same companies that have made millions from us over the years and haven't exactly done much to deserve it.

BusLoverMum

26 Mar 2020, 11:21 pm #188
(26 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm)Cock Robin It was VOR against the fence last two times I've been down. Had only just been re-tested!

Well said.

Arguably, a true enthusiast would be concerned about the viability of current operations rather than the demise of a barely serviceable vehicle.
BusLoverMum
26 Mar 2020, 11:21 pm #188

(26 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm)Cock Robin It was VOR against the fence last two times I've been down. Had only just been re-tested!

Well said.

Arguably, a true enthusiast would be concerned about the viability of current operations rather than the demise of a barely serviceable vehicle.

27 Mar 2020, 6:59 am #189
Well, sure got us "talking" didn't I ? But I'd like to add a couple of comments please.

To Ryland - My apologies for being so abrasive. Our forum is not the place to bring our personal feelings. I get where you were coming from with your interest in 1759. In their day Darts were proper good vehicles and I've spent many a shift plying one round the various routes. And to those who commented, is 1759 still with us ?

To Cock Robin - OK so I was a bit pointed with my remark about people not needing to be there. We are an enthusiasts forum and it's not the place to air our personal gripes.

To Stork - Thank you. This was the sort of conversation I was hoping to encourage. Some of us have more knowledge of the bus industry than others and I feel, in these times, it's good and interesting to share this.

To Bus Lover Mum - Thanks for supporting me.

And to everyone else, including those across our other forums, a shout out as we face unprecedented and difficult times for the bus industry. Let's keep talking.
scanialover
27 Mar 2020, 6:59 am #189

Well, sure got us "talking" didn't I ? But I'd like to add a couple of comments please.

To Ryland - My apologies for being so abrasive. Our forum is not the place to bring our personal feelings. I get where you were coming from with your interest in 1759. In their day Darts were proper good vehicles and I've spent many a shift plying one round the various routes. And to those who commented, is 1759 still with us ?

To Cock Robin - OK so I was a bit pointed with my remark about people not needing to be there. We are an enthusiasts forum and it's not the place to air our personal gripes.

To Stork - Thank you. This was the sort of conversation I was hoping to encourage. Some of us have more knowledge of the bus industry than others and I feel, in these times, it's good and interesting to share this.

To Bus Lover Mum - Thanks for supporting me.

And to everyone else, including those across our other forums, a shout out as we face unprecedented and difficult times for the bus industry. Let's keep talking.

Cock Robin

27 Mar 2020, 7:25 am #190
(26 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm)Storx It's much more complicated than your making it out here. It's all good closing depots but you're going to have to still pay your staff which will be one of a bus operators biggest expense so you might aswell have them doing something useful when your paying them unless you do a Tim Martin and say I'm not paying you but you'll get your 80% in June go work for Tesco.

or

Agreed.
Cock Robin
27 Mar 2020, 7:25 am #190

(26 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm)Storx It's much more complicated than your making it out here. It's all good closing depots but you're going to have to still pay your staff which will be one of a bus operators biggest expense so you might aswell have them doing something useful when your paying them unless you do a Tim Martin and say I'm not paying you but you'll get your 80% in June go work for Tesco.

or

Agreed.

27 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm #191
(26 Mar 2020, 2:47 am)Driver9*** Arriva going fully Sunday service from next week with likely early run offs as well. Drivers asked to volunteer to stay at home for the government backed 80% pay guarantee. Hope I get selected for it lol...

So that would apply to Jesmond depot? and thus the 685 which Arriva would then only run Newcastle<>Hexham? and thus have a knock-on to Stagecoach Cumbria for the Hexham<>Carlisle section.  Now as Arriva and Stagecoach are not supposed to talk to each other, will the 'non-communication' now be all change?
Brampton Trev
27 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm #191

(26 Mar 2020, 2:47 am)Driver9*** Arriva going fully Sunday service from next week with likely early run offs as well. Drivers asked to volunteer to stay at home for the government backed 80% pay guarantee. Hope I get selected for it lol...

So that would apply to Jesmond depot? and thus the 685 which Arriva would then only run Newcastle<>Hexham? and thus have a knock-on to Stagecoach Cumbria for the Hexham<>Carlisle section.  Now as Arriva and Stagecoach are not supposed to talk to each other, will the 'non-communication' now be all change?

27 Mar 2020, 3:42 pm #192
Now don't these make sense. The latest timetables applicable from Monday 30th March are now available. Another step towards making sure those who don't have to travel don't. Could be a little tough on those that do.
scanialover
27 Mar 2020, 3:42 pm #192

Now don't these make sense. The latest timetables applicable from Monday 30th March are now available. Another step towards making sure those who don't have to travel don't. Could be a little tough on those that do.

mb134

27 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm #193
(27 Mar 2020, 3:42 pm)scanialover Now don't these make sense. The latest timetables applicable from Monday 30th March are now available. Another step towards making sure those who don't have to travel don't. Could be a little tough on those that do.

Almost as if they were planning for this over the past number of days. Timetables, running boards and associated bits of admin take time to create and organise - it isn't as simple as someone noting on here that they saw service x running empty and Arriva (or any other operator) suddenly cutting everything.
mb134
27 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm #193

(27 Mar 2020, 3:42 pm)scanialover Now don't these make sense. The latest timetables applicable from Monday 30th March are now available. Another step towards making sure those who don't have to travel don't. Could be a little tough on those that do.

Almost as if they were planning for this over the past number of days. Timetables, running boards and associated bits of admin take time to create and organise - it isn't as simple as someone noting on here that they saw service x running empty and Arriva (or any other operator) suddenly cutting everything.

28 Mar 2020, 7:46 am #194
I agree. The backroom, admin staff are working wonders in these unprecedented times.
scanialover
28 Mar 2020, 7:46 am #194

I agree. The backroom, admin staff are working wonders in these unprecedented times.

tvd

28 Mar 2020, 10:32 am #195
I dont think theres much to be critical about how Arriva are handling this situation so far. Sunday - based timetables were obviously going to have to be used, and they've done the right thing by adding extra journeys earlier/later than normal Sundays.

They asked on social media if any key workers have individual travel issues before issuing these timetables, hopefully any feedback they've had has been taken into consideration. All operators are accepting each others tickets, again thats going to be beneficial in people in some parts of the region.

The only thing I'd suggest should be done is extend the operating times of the TeesFlex, have them running on Sundays, and earlier/later each day, publicise this on all other local buses so at least anyone who 'falls through the net' so to speak who needs to travel to work and isnt served by Arriva or Stagecoach, has TeesFlex as an option (unless they need to travel over the boundary into North Yorkshire or Durham).
tvd
28 Mar 2020, 10:32 am #195

I dont think theres much to be critical about how Arriva are handling this situation so far. Sunday - based timetables were obviously going to have to be used, and they've done the right thing by adding extra journeys earlier/later than normal Sundays.

They asked on social media if any key workers have individual travel issues before issuing these timetables, hopefully any feedback they've had has been taken into consideration. All operators are accepting each others tickets, again thats going to be beneficial in people in some parts of the region.

The only thing I'd suggest should be done is extend the operating times of the TeesFlex, have them running on Sundays, and earlier/later each day, publicise this on all other local buses so at least anyone who 'falls through the net' so to speak who needs to travel to work and isnt served by Arriva or Stagecoach, has TeesFlex as an option (unless they need to travel over the boundary into North Yorkshire or Durham).

28 Mar 2020, 10:47 am #196
It was always going to be difficult to match services against demand. Now,,thanks to the hard work of everyone so involved we are settling down to what, for the immediate (?) future is to be the normal. Hopefully, see what the weekend brings, people will finally realise that the only way to beat this is to follow the rules.
scanialover
28 Mar 2020, 10:47 am #196

It was always going to be difficult to match services against demand. Now,,thanks to the hard work of everyone so involved we are settling down to what, for the immediate (?) future is to be the normal. Hopefully, see what the weekend brings, people will finally realise that the only way to beat this is to follow the rules.

tvd

28 Mar 2020, 11:01 am #197

Well it may be an idea, but a terrible one IMO.

So you move double deckers away somewhere else where theyre also not needed. Leave the other vehicles in the yard at Whitby and mothball it, presumably needing some maintenance/security staff there or risk vandalism and other issues.

Then get Stockton to run the X93's, requiring route learning. Huge amounts of dead mileage between Stockton and Whitby each morning and evening. You've also got the headache of either interworking the new drivers with Whitby's X4 journeys (more route learning), or add to Redcar's workload and again increasing dead mileage.

And then you've still got the only problem you mentioned, the 95's. Unless we get Stockton drivers to come down and do those too, maybe get a busload of them at a time to show them the routes to Sleights and Lealholm?!
tvd
28 Mar 2020, 11:01 am #197

Well it may be an idea, but a terrible one IMO.

So you move double deckers away somewhere else where theyre also not needed. Leave the other vehicles in the yard at Whitby and mothball it, presumably needing some maintenance/security staff there or risk vandalism and other issues.

Then get Stockton to run the X93's, requiring route learning. Huge amounts of dead mileage between Stockton and Whitby each morning and evening. You've also got the headache of either interworking the new drivers with Whitby's X4 journeys (more route learning), or add to Redcar's workload and again increasing dead mileage.

And then you've still got the only problem you mentioned, the 95's. Unless we get Stockton drivers to come down and do those too, maybe get a busload of them at a time to show them the routes to Sleights and Lealholm?!

28 Mar 2020, 11:16 am #198
It was just a very basic idea a few days before the latest service revisions are to be brought into effect. Yes, I agree that I'd not through the implications and everything you talk about makes good sense. Thanks
scanialover
28 Mar 2020, 11:16 am #198

It was just a very basic idea a few days before the latest service revisions are to be brought into effect. Yes, I agree that I'd not through the implications and everything you talk about makes good sense. Thanks

Cock Robin

28 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm #199
Quite a few of the Redcar fleet have been delicensed. I presume its the same at all depots.
Cock Robin
28 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm #199

Quite a few of the Redcar fleet have been delicensed. I presume its the same at all depots.

28 Mar 2020, 1:28 pm #200
Could be interesting to look, now we appear to be heading towards a period of settled emergency timetables for our area, Middlesbrough/Stockton/East Cleveland, just what the depot PVR's are, what vehicles are to be retained and which delicsensed. Sadly I don't have enough knowledge.
scanialover
28 Mar 2020, 1:28 pm #200

Could be interesting to look, now we appear to be heading towards a period of settled emergency timetables for our area, Middlesbrough/Stockton/East Cleveland, just what the depot PVR's are, what vehicles are to be retained and which delicsensed. Sadly I don't have enough knowledge.

Pages (11) Previous 19 10 11 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average