Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Other Operators Tyne & Wear Independents Gateshead Central Taxis

Gateshead Central Taxis

Gateshead Central Taxis

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (116): Previous 168 69 70116 Next
18 May 2020, 8:54 pm #1,361
(18 May 2020, 8:52 pm)Jimmi They can scan concession passes and the like but not Contactless (the one's I'm talking about).
[Image: cc0fa5dde7dd38687ff925dcfbc1e0a8.jpg]

The technology between the two is the same, so 'in theory' it would just be a software upgrade rather than a hardware limitation
streetdeckfan
18 May 2020, 8:54 pm #1,361

(18 May 2020, 8:52 pm)Jimmi They can scan concession passes and the like but not Contactless (the one's I'm talking about).

The technology between the two is the same, so 'in theory' it would just be a software upgrade rather than a hardware limitation

citaro5284

19 May 2020, 6:32 am #1,362
(18 May 2020, 7:39 pm)streetdeckfan Don't GCT use Ticketer machines?
I'd imagine it would be relatively simple for them to set up contactless payments, so I'd imagine it's purely down to the ~2-3% transaction fee that they're not taking them.

(18 May 2020, 8:53 pm)park5354 correct.
Just goes to show how Nexus are so far removed from the outside world.  In today's world where contactless payments are the norm across all aspects of paying for goods and services, surely this should be in the spec for the tender.
citaro5284
19 May 2020, 6:32 am #1,362

(18 May 2020, 7:39 pm)streetdeckfan Don't GCT use Ticketer machines?
I'd imagine it would be relatively simple for them to set up contactless payments, so I'd imagine it's purely down to the ~2-3% transaction fee that they're not taking them.

(18 May 2020, 8:53 pm)park5354 correct.
Just goes to show how Nexus are so far removed from the outside world.  In today's world where contactless payments are the norm across all aspects of paying for goods and services, surely this should be in the spec for the tender.

Andreos1

19 May 2020, 7:44 am #1,363
(19 May 2020, 6:32 am)citaro5284 Just goes to show how Nexus are so far removed from the outside world.  In today's world where contactless payments are the norm across all aspects of paying for goods and services, surely this should be in the spec for the tender.

That 2/3% could make the difference between GCT running the service and making enough to get by or the margins being so tight, that it's not viable and they need to change their operating model. 
All of a sudden, they're going to be putting in similar bids to the bigger boys - which then defeats the point of the tendering process. 

I'm not GCT's biggest fan at all, but admire what they have achieved over a pretty short space of time. They do things differently to the bigger operators and that's what works for them and probably the taxpayer too. 

It might be inconvenient for the passenger, but then it also is inconvenient when the bigger operators decide to go home early and stop playing for the night. 
We need to remember that passengers, taxpayers, GCT and Nexus wouldn't be faced with these issues, if the bigger boys decided to play out a little longer on an evening.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 May 2020, 7:44 am #1,363

(19 May 2020, 6:32 am)citaro5284 Just goes to show how Nexus are so far removed from the outside world.  In today's world where contactless payments are the norm across all aspects of paying for goods and services, surely this should be in the spec for the tender.

That 2/3% could make the difference between GCT running the service and making enough to get by or the margins being so tight, that it's not viable and they need to change their operating model. 
All of a sudden, they're going to be putting in similar bids to the bigger boys - which then defeats the point of the tendering process. 

I'm not GCT's biggest fan at all, but admire what they have achieved over a pretty short space of time. They do things differently to the bigger operators and that's what works for them and probably the taxpayer too. 

It might be inconvenient for the passenger, but then it also is inconvenient when the bigger operators decide to go home early and stop playing for the night. 
We need to remember that passengers, taxpayers, GCT and Nexus wouldn't be faced with these issues, if the bigger boys decided to play out a little longer on an evening.

LeeCalder

19 May 2020, 8:13 am #1,364
I've raised a few concerns with Nexus this morning, highly unimpressed.

20:28 82 from Birtley incorrect route through Barley Mow
21:32 82 to Birtley came flying through Barley Mow at 21:37, two minutes before it should have left the timing point in Ayton (with 81 Galleries on the blind as well)
21:28 82 from Birtley, again incorrect route through Barley Mow
22:32 to Birtley, 84 Galleries on the blind
23:28 from Birtley incorrect route through Barley Mow

Then the 23:32 from Galleries comes flying through Barley Mow with no interior lights on, and NIS on the blind.

What a fabulous start.
LeeCalder
19 May 2020, 8:13 am #1,364

I've raised a few concerns with Nexus this morning, highly unimpressed.

21:32 82 to Birtley came flying through Barley Mow at 21:37, two minutes before it should have left the timing point in Ayton (with 81 Galleries on the blind as well)

Then the 23:32 from Galleries comes flying through Barley Mow with no interior lights on, and NIS on the blind.

What a fabulous start.

Andreos1

19 May 2020, 8:23 am #1,365
(19 May 2020, 8:13 am)LeeCalder I've raised a few concerns with Nexus this morning, highly unimpressed.

What a fabulous start.
Just out of curiosity, what route did they take through Barley Mow?

Andreos1
19 May 2020, 8:23 am #1,365

(19 May 2020, 8:13 am)LeeCalder I've raised a few concerns with Nexus this morning, highly unimpressed.

What a fabulous start.
Just out of curiosity, what route did they take through Barley Mow?

Adrian

19 May 2020, 10:41 am #1,366
(19 May 2020, 7:44 am)Andreos1 That 2/3% could make the difference between GCT running the service and making enough to get by or the margins being so tight, that it's not viable and they need to change their operating model. 

This is the thing though, it should be spec'd in the tender. Not down to an operator to decide not to provide something. 

We should be making bus travel attractive, and Nexus (as the operational front of the ITA), have a key role to play in that. It's not just down to the big three operators. Arguably contactless payment, especially in the current climate, makes bus travel more attractive. It provides passenger choice, and it likely creates bus journeys that wouldn't otherwise be made - people not having change, cash on them, etc.

The 2%-3% extra (per transaction) should be more than covered by the 2% increase in BSOG rate (smart card incentive), on top of the standard BSOG payment. They're also getting an extra 6p/km for using LCEB certified buses.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 May 2020, 10:41 am #1,366

(19 May 2020, 7:44 am)Andreos1 That 2/3% could make the difference between GCT running the service and making enough to get by or the margins being so tight, that it's not viable and they need to change their operating model. 

This is the thing though, it should be spec'd in the tender. Not down to an operator to decide not to provide something. 

We should be making bus travel attractive, and Nexus (as the operational front of the ITA), have a key role to play in that. It's not just down to the big three operators. Arguably contactless payment, especially in the current climate, makes bus travel more attractive. It provides passenger choice, and it likely creates bus journeys that wouldn't otherwise be made - people not having change, cash on them, etc.

The 2%-3% extra (per transaction) should be more than covered by the 2% increase in BSOG rate (smart card incentive), on top of the standard BSOG payment. They're also getting an extra 6p/km for using LCEB certified buses.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

cainebj

19 May 2020, 11:16 am #1,367
(18 May 2020, 8:54 pm)streetdeckfan The technology between the two is the same, so 'in theory' it would just be a software upgrade rather than a hardware limitation

No, the older machines seen in Jimmi's post cannot just have the software upgraded, operators have to upgrade to the latest machine, just as Stagecoach had to replace their smartcard enabled ERGs with the latest version. At £2,500 per machine (for Ticketer) it is a significant upgrade, especially when the machines they're replacing will not be that old to start with.
cainebj
19 May 2020, 11:16 am #1,367

(18 May 2020, 8:54 pm)streetdeckfan The technology between the two is the same, so 'in theory' it would just be a software upgrade rather than a hardware limitation

No, the older machines seen in Jimmi's post cannot just have the software upgraded, operators have to upgrade to the latest machine, just as Stagecoach had to replace their smartcard enabled ERGs with the latest version. At £2,500 per machine (for Ticketer) it is a significant upgrade, especially when the machines they're replacing will not be that old to start with.

19 May 2020, 11:31 am #1,368
(19 May 2020, 10:41 am)Adrian This is the thing though, it should be spec'd in the tender. Not down to an operator to decide not to provide something. 

Is it Nexus or GCT that sets ticket prices on contracted service, and are they similar to what GNE charges on their journeys during the day? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy with a 10p increase in ticket prices to cover the cost to use contactless

I rarely even carry cash now, on occasions I may have some notes, but certainly not coins. So the fact that they don't offer contactless payments, and don't give change (whether it's a company policy or not is irrelevant, if I board the bus and they say I won't get change, I'm getting back off) means I'd be finding another way to travel.

When was the last time you went in to a shop and they didn't take contactless? Even market stalls do, so it's crazy to think they don't.
streetdeckfan
19 May 2020, 11:31 am #1,368

(19 May 2020, 10:41 am)Adrian This is the thing though, it should be spec'd in the tender. Not down to an operator to decide not to provide something. 

Is it Nexus or GCT that sets ticket prices on contracted service, and are they similar to what GNE charges on their journeys during the day? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy with a 10p increase in ticket prices to cover the cost to use contactless

I rarely even carry cash now, on occasions I may have some notes, but certainly not coins. So the fact that they don't offer contactless payments, and don't give change (whether it's a company policy or not is irrelevant, if I board the bus and they say I won't get change, I'm getting back off) means I'd be finding another way to travel.

When was the last time you went in to a shop and they didn't take contactless? Even market stalls do, so it's crazy to think they don't.

Tom

19 May 2020, 11:42 am #1,369
(19 May 2020, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Is it Nexus or GCT that sets ticket prices on contracted service, and are they similar to what GNE charges on their journeys during the day? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy with a 10p increase in ticket prices to cover the cost to use contactless

Nexus will set the price on a contracted service i'd imagine (as they are getting the revenue?).

The prices on nexus secured services seem very cheap, for example North Shields to Quorum is £1.65 on the 335. I'm not sure about services which are run commercially through the day though.
Tom
19 May 2020, 11:42 am #1,369

(19 May 2020, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Is it Nexus or GCT that sets ticket prices on contracted service, and are they similar to what GNE charges on their journeys during the day? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be happy with a 10p increase in ticket prices to cover the cost to use contactless

Nexus will set the price on a contracted service i'd imagine (as they are getting the revenue?).

The prices on nexus secured services seem very cheap, for example North Shields to Quorum is £1.65 on the 335. I'm not sure about services which are run commercially through the day though.

LeeCalder

19 May 2020, 12:32 pm #1,370
(19 May 2020, 8:23 am)Andreos1 Just out of curiosity, what route did they take through Barley Mow?

Straight along Coniston/Garsdale in Vigo, missing out The Drive, the down Kentmere and left at Barley Mow Club, missing out Bedford Avenue.
LeeCalder
19 May 2020, 12:32 pm #1,370

(19 May 2020, 8:23 am)Andreos1 Just out of curiosity, what route did they take through Barley Mow?

Straight along Coniston/Garsdale in Vigo, missing out The Drive, the down Kentmere and left at Barley Mow Club, missing out Bedford Avenue.

cbma06

19 May 2020, 1:07 pm #1,371

What a fabulous start.

Did you contact GCT with the above information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
19 May 2020, 1:07 pm #1,371

What a fabulous start.

Did you contact GCT with the above information?

Andreos1

19 May 2020, 1:25 pm #1,372

I agree that we should be making bus travel attractive. I'm a massive believer in ensuring a wide population has access to affordable, reliable transport. I also believe that it shouldn't fall to the likes of these independents to pick up the slack nor have people expect them to provide the same on board resources/equipment and and as a consequence, similar operational overheads as the bigger boys.

I do think that going forward, contactless might be part of any Nexus spec, but seeing as this contract would have been put forward before the current situation started - there would be no urgent need to have it included already.
However, it would be interesting to see what percentage of passengers on these contracted services are needing to use contactless. I would hazard a guess that significant percentage will have day, week or monthly tickets of one sort or another already - hence the discussion around whether or not GCT should accept GNE tickets or not. I would also think that a decent proportion of passengers would have a CAT pass or equivalent.

As I say, if the bigger boys continued to play out on a night, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

(19 May 2020, 12:32 pm)LeeCalder Straight along Coniston/Garsdale in Vigo, missing out The Drive, the down Kentmere and left at Barley Mow Club, missing out Bedford Avenue.

So quite a decent chunk then?
Not acceptable at all. I see no valid reason at all for any parts of the route to be missed out. Deliberately or otherwise.
Edited 19 May 2020, 1:27 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
19 May 2020, 1:25 pm #1,372

I agree that we should be making bus travel attractive. I'm a massive believer in ensuring a wide population has access to affordable, reliable transport. I also believe that it shouldn't fall to the likes of these independents to pick up the slack nor have people expect them to provide the same on board resources/equipment and and as a consequence, similar operational overheads as the bigger boys.

I do think that going forward, contactless might be part of any Nexus spec, but seeing as this contract would have been put forward before the current situation started - there would be no urgent need to have it included already.
However, it would be interesting to see what percentage of passengers on these contracted services are needing to use contactless. I would hazard a guess that significant percentage will have day, week or monthly tickets of one sort or another already - hence the discussion around whether or not GCT should accept GNE tickets or not. I would also think that a decent proportion of passengers would have a CAT pass or equivalent.

As I say, if the bigger boys continued to play out on a night, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

(19 May 2020, 12:32 pm)LeeCalder Straight along Coniston/Garsdale in Vigo, missing out The Drive, the down Kentmere and left at Barley Mow Club, missing out Bedford Avenue.

So quite a decent chunk then?
Not acceptable at all. I see no valid reason at all for any parts of the route to be missed out. Deliberately or otherwise.

LeeCalder

19 May 2020, 3:07 pm #1,373
(19 May 2020, 1:07 pm)cbma06 Did you contact GCT with the above information?

I have attempted. No correspondence.
LeeCalder
19 May 2020, 3:07 pm #1,373

(19 May 2020, 1:07 pm)cbma06 Did you contact GCT with the above information?

I have attempted. No correspondence.

19 May 2020, 8:56 pm #1,374
If one of the parts of the bid is does the bus have high spec features such as NSAs, Wi-Fi, charging ports etc; surely does it have contactless should be a higher priority to judge. As has been mentioned previously, many people now don't carry cash. If GNE offer contactless as standard (and have been for a number of years now) throughout the day, I can see confusion and issues developing for passengers and drivers when the service is ran by an operator without these features.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
19 May 2020, 8:56 pm #1,374

If one of the parts of the bid is does the bus have high spec features such as NSAs, Wi-Fi, charging ports etc; surely does it have contactless should be a higher priority to judge. As has been mentioned previously, many people now don't carry cash. If GNE offer contactless as standard (and have been for a number of years now) throughout the day, I can see confusion and issues developing for passengers and drivers when the service is ran by an operator without these features.

19 May 2020, 10:47 pm #1,375
(19 May 2020, 8:56 pm)6049 If one of the parts of the bid is does the bus have high spec features such as NSAs, Wi-Fi, charging ports etc; surely does it have contactless should be a higher priority to judge. As has been mentioned previously, many people now don't carry cash. If GNE offer contactless as standard (and have been for a number of years now) throughout the day, I can see confusion and issues developing for passengers and drivers when the service is ran by an operator without these features.

Exactly, I think when the tender is for an evening service of a route run by another operator, there should at least be consideration for the fact that they don't have the same features, especially when it comes to ticketing, otherwise like you say there will be a lot of confusion.
streetdeckfan
19 May 2020, 10:47 pm #1,375

(19 May 2020, 8:56 pm)6049 If one of the parts of the bid is does the bus have high spec features such as NSAs, Wi-Fi, charging ports etc; surely does it have contactless should be a higher priority to judge. As has been mentioned previously, many people now don't carry cash. If GNE offer contactless as standard (and have been for a number of years now) throughout the day, I can see confusion and issues developing for passengers and drivers when the service is ran by an operator without these features.

Exactly, I think when the tender is for an evening service of a route run by another operator, there should at least be consideration for the fact that they don't have the same features, especially when it comes to ticketing, otherwise like you say there will be a lot of confusion.

24 May 2020, 11:24 pm #1,376
GCT 39 and GNE 39 running toghter tonghit ?
ThomasBooth123
24 May 2020, 11:24 pm #1,376

GCT 39 and GNE 39 running toghter tonghit ?

Acky81

26 May 2020, 9:34 pm #1,377
Re 39 What you mean? both running together
Acky81
26 May 2020, 9:34 pm #1,377

Re 39 What you mean? both running together

park5354

27 May 2020, 1:33 pm #1,378
(26 May 2020, 9:34 pm)Acky81 Re 39 What you mean?  both running together
Apparantly, GNE were still operating their 39's at night last week.

GNE were also seen running their Covid19 times on 11/19/41/42/42A at night last week.
park5354
27 May 2020, 1:33 pm #1,378

(26 May 2020, 9:34 pm)Acky81 Re 39 What you mean?  both running together
Apparantly, GNE were still operating their 39's at night last week.

GNE were also seen running their Covid19 times on 11/19/41/42/42A at night last week.

Michael

27 May 2020, 1:36 pm #1,379
(27 May 2020, 1:33 pm)park5354 Apparantly, GNE were still operating their 39's at night last week.

What a joke these contracts have turned out to be - if Gateshead Central Taxi's can't run them, then they should be stripped of them.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 May 2020, 1:36 pm #1,379

(27 May 2020, 1:33 pm)park5354 Apparantly, GNE were still operating their 39's at night last week.

What a joke these contracts have turned out to be - if Gateshead Central Taxi's can't run them, then they should be stripped of them.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

LeeCalder

27 May 2020, 2:08 pm #1,380
Last night we had an 82 going around on the second to last run, no interior lights 'NOT IN SERVICE'. Terrible.
LeeCalder
27 May 2020, 2:08 pm #1,380

Last night we had an 82 going around on the second to last run, no interior lights 'NOT IN SERVICE'. Terrible.

Pages (116): Previous 168 69 70116 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average