Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Shops in/going into administration

Shops in/going into administration

Shops in/going into administration

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next
cbma06

07 Jun 2020, 7:23 am #1
Looks like INTU to be going into Administration which owns the Metrocentre.

Only problem is that no one wants to go shopping there like it was in the 80’s and 90’s, when Metrocentre first opened it was a new fangle thing, but now there’s retail parks open up practically in every town and city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
07 Jun 2020, 7:23 am #1

Looks like INTU to be going into Administration which owns the Metrocentre.

Only problem is that no one wants to go shopping there like it was in the 80’s and 90’s, when Metrocentre first opened it was a new fangle thing, but now there’s retail parks open up practically in every town and city.

BusLoverMum

08 Jun 2020, 9:21 am #2
It's been on the cards for a while. Doesn't help that a lot of the big retailers are also struggling and, even if they do keep afloat, negotiating reduced rents.
BusLoverMum
08 Jun 2020, 9:21 am #2

It's been on the cards for a while. Doesn't help that a lot of the big retailers are also struggling and, even if they do keep afloat, negotiating reduced rents.

Malarkey

08 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm #3
(08 Jun 2020, 9:21 am)BusLoverMum It's been on the cards for a while. Doesn't help that a lot of the big retailers are also struggling and, even if they do keep afloat, negotiating reduced rents.

From what I understand Intu charge an extortionate amount in rent which is why "Mike Ashley" moved or closed stores such as Sports Direct/House of Fraser/USC out of there centres and instead as is the case with Sports Direct placed them on High Streets or Retail Parks in the past few years.
Malarkey
08 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm #3

(08 Jun 2020, 9:21 am)BusLoverMum It's been on the cards for a while. Doesn't help that a lot of the big retailers are also struggling and, even if they do keep afloat, negotiating reduced rents.

From what I understand Intu charge an extortionate amount in rent which is why "Mike Ashley" moved or closed stores such as Sports Direct/House of Fraser/USC out of there centres and instead as is the case with Sports Direct placed them on High Streets or Retail Parks in the past few years.

Michael

08 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm #4
(08 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm)Malarkey From what I understand Intu charge an extortionate amount in rent which is why "Mike Ashley" moved or closed stores such as Sports Direct/House of Fraser/USC out of there centres and instead as is the case with Sports Direct placed them on High Streets or Retail Parks in the past few years.

I'm sure House Of Fraser is still open in the Metrocentre.

(07 Jun 2020, 7:23 am)cbma06 Looks like INTU to be going into Administration which owns the Metrocentre.

The Metrocentre is always busy though?, plenty of shops and restaurants.
Edited 08 Jun 2020, 7:37 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm #4

(08 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm)Malarkey From what I understand Intu charge an extortionate amount in rent which is why "Mike Ashley" moved or closed stores such as Sports Direct/House of Fraser/USC out of there centres and instead as is the case with Sports Direct placed them on High Streets or Retail Parks in the past few years.

I'm sure House Of Fraser is still open in the Metrocentre.

(07 Jun 2020, 7:23 am)cbma06 Looks like INTU to be going into Administration which owns the Metrocentre.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

08 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm #5
(08 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm)Michael I'm sure House Of Fraser is still open in the Metrocentre.

Not sure about their other sites, but they seemed to spend an absolute fortune making Eldon Square and Metrocentre 'destinations'. Go for a meal, bit entertainment and some shopping. The former two cater for the needs of people when they're done shopping for the day as well as being somewhere to go when shopping.

The types of food establishments they ended up hosting, were pretty much the same as everywhere else. It was chain stuff (F&B's etc) and as their popularity dropped, then it had a knock on effect with rents etc. Ditto the big department stores - Woolworths, House of Fraser, Woolworths etc.

It doesn't seem that long ago that Intu were seemingly buying every out of town shopping centre out there. Huge expansion and investment.

Maybe the shopping centre bubble has burst.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
08 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm #5

(08 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm)Michael I'm sure House Of Fraser is still open in the Metrocentre.

Not sure about their other sites, but they seemed to spend an absolute fortune making Eldon Square and Metrocentre 'destinations'. Go for a meal, bit entertainment and some shopping. The former two cater for the needs of people when they're done shopping for the day as well as being somewhere to go when shopping.

The types of food establishments they ended up hosting, were pretty much the same as everywhere else. It was chain stuff (F&B's etc) and as their popularity dropped, then it had a knock on effect with rents etc. Ditto the big department stores - Woolworths, House of Fraser, Woolworths etc.

It doesn't seem that long ago that Intu were seemingly buying every out of town shopping centre out there. Huge expansion and investment.

James101

08 Jun 2020, 9:14 pm #6
Further to reports this week, staff at Frankie & Benny’s branches to be closed have begun reviving confirmation via email. Closures are apparently much more widespread than thought, extending to the Coast to Coast brand, of which only 2 restaurants will reopen. Most Chiquito, Joe’s Kitchen, Firejacks & Garfunkel’s restaurants will not reopen.

Parent company TRG intend on focusing mainly on the Wagamama and Brunning & Price brand along with airport concessions.
James101
08 Jun 2020, 9:14 pm #6

Further to reports this week, staff at Frankie & Benny’s branches to be closed have begun reviving confirmation via email. Closures are apparently much more widespread than thought, extending to the Coast to Coast brand, of which only 2 restaurants will reopen. Most Chiquito, Joe’s Kitchen, Firejacks & Garfunkel’s restaurants will not reopen.

Parent company TRG intend on focusing mainly on the Wagamama and Brunning & Price brand along with airport concessions.

LVK 404L

09 Jun 2020, 6:47 am #7
Another issue with Metrocentre is the number of closed outlets on the malls.

If they relocated all the closed outlets together and put the open ones seperate. They would probably end up with a fully closed mall at the least.
LVK 404L
09 Jun 2020, 6:47 am #7

Another issue with Metrocentre is the number of closed outlets on the malls.

If they relocated all the closed outlets together and put the open ones seperate. They would probably end up with a fully closed mall at the least.

LVK 404L

09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #8
Debenham Metrocentre apparantley now closed permanently. One of my friends had a conference call this morning stating decision has been made and all staff laid off.
LVK 404L
09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #8

Debenham Metrocentre apparantley now closed permanently. One of my friends had a conference call this morning stating decision has been made and all staff laid off.

Michael

09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #9
Seen this on facebook:

BREAKING NEWS

Staff at Debenhams within Intu Metrocentre at Gateshead were informed at 10am via Conference Call that the store is closing and they will no longer employed.

This has come from a former staff member

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #9

Seen this on facebook:

BREAKING NEWS

Staff at Debenhams within Intu Metrocentre at Gateshead were informed at 10am via Conference Call that the store is closing and they will no longer employed.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

09 Jun 2020, 12:27 pm #10
(09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm)Michael Seen this on facebook:

BREAKING NEWS

Has Debenhams in Sunderland closed down aswell?

cbma06
09 Jun 2020, 12:27 pm #10

(09 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm)Michael Seen this on facebook:

BREAKING NEWS

Has Debenhams in Sunderland closed down aswell?

Michael

09 Jun 2020, 12:40 pm #11
(09 Jun 2020, 12:27 pm)cbma06 Has Debenhams in Sunderland closed down aswell?

Not sure, i think this is the first of many stores to fall in the Metrocentre and else where =(

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jun 2020, 12:40 pm #11

(09 Jun 2020, 12:27 pm)cbma06 Has Debenhams in Sunderland closed down aswell?

Not sure, i think this is the first of many stores to fall in the Metrocentre and else where =(

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

09 Jun 2020, 1:03 pm #12
It's a rent dispute, the only other permanent closure is the branch at South Shields.

Newcastle and Sunderland will remain open

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
09 Jun 2020, 1:03 pm #12

It's a rent dispute, the only other permanent closure is the branch at South Shields.

Newcastle and Sunderland will remain open

09 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm #13
Not surprised in the slightest. Intu is well known for their extortionate rent.
From what I've heard, they keep hiking the prices knowing that tenants have basically no choice but to continue paying
streetdeckfan
09 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm #13

Not surprised in the slightest. Intu is well known for their extortionate rent.
From what I've heard, they keep hiking the prices knowing that tenants have basically no choice but to continue paying

Rob44

10 Jun 2020, 11:09 am #14
(08 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm)Andreos1 Not sure about their other sites, but they seemed to spend an absolute fortune making Eldon Square and Metrocentre 'destinations'. Go for a meal, bit entertainment and some shopping. The former two cater for the needs of people when they're done shopping for the day as well as being somewhere to go when shopping.

The metrocentre should never have got rid of Metroland. If anything they should have made it bigger. It was a unique feature that brought family's in from all over. I cinema is a cinema and a bowling ally a bowling ally.
Rob44
10 Jun 2020, 11:09 am #14

(08 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm)Andreos1 Not sure about their other sites, but they seemed to spend an absolute fortune making Eldon Square and Metrocentre 'destinations'. Go for a meal, bit entertainment and some shopping. The former two cater for the needs of people when they're done shopping for the day as well as being somewhere to go when shopping.

The metrocentre should never have got rid of Metroland. If anything they should have made it bigger. It was a unique feature that brought family's in from all over. I cinema is a cinema and a bowling ally a bowling ally.

Ambassador

10 Jun 2020, 11:24 am #15
(10 Jun 2020, 11:09 am)Rob44 The metrocentre should never have got rid of Metroland. If anything they should have made it bigger. It was a unique feature that brought family's in from all over. I cinema is a cinema and a bowling ally a bowling ally.

At the time of the closure it was the right thing to do, Retail was booming and the old food court wasn't really fit for purpose and Brits were eating out like we'd got no kitchens at home.

Ironically the MetroCentre development plan includes new leisure facilities. Now we'll see out of town shopping centres create more unique selling points to make you visit them over say online or a city centre which has the pubs, restaurants and easier access.

And MetroCentre has lost its allure - it's not the 80s anymore, the internet exists, people want experiences not just soulless identikit shopping experiences that whether you're at intu Milton Keynes or intu MetroCentre all feel the same.

Ambassador
10 Jun 2020, 11:24 am #15

(10 Jun 2020, 11:09 am)Rob44 The metrocentre should never have got rid of Metroland. If anything they should have made it bigger. It was a unique feature that brought family's in from all over. I cinema is a cinema and a bowling ally a bowling ally.

At the time of the closure it was the right thing to do, Retail was booming and the old food court wasn't really fit for purpose and Brits were eating out like we'd got no kitchens at home.

Ironically the MetroCentre development plan includes new leisure facilities. Now we'll see out of town shopping centres create more unique selling points to make you visit them over say online or a city centre which has the pubs, restaurants and easier access.

And MetroCentre has lost its allure - it's not the 80s anymore, the internet exists, people want experiences not just soulless identikit shopping experiences that whether you're at intu Milton Keynes or intu MetroCentre all feel the same.

Rob44

10 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #16
A masiive iondoor theme park, where the weather outside makes no difference would be alluring in my view.. They certainly need something to bring back the punters!
Rob44
10 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm #16

A masiive iondoor theme park, where the weather outside makes no difference would be alluring in my view.. They certainly need something to bring back the punters!

cbma06

10 Jun 2020, 12:40 pm #17
(10 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm)Rob44 A masiive iondoor theme park, where the weather outside makes no difference would be alluring in my view.. They certainly need something to bring back the punters!

Since the metrocentre era, there’s been to many retail parks that have opened up closer to shoppers, I blame the councils as there have signed consent of having these retail parks built and turned there own town centres into ghost towns.

cbma06
10 Jun 2020, 12:40 pm #17

(10 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm)Rob44 A masiive iondoor theme park, where the weather outside makes no difference would be alluring in my view.. They certainly need something to bring back the punters!

Since the metrocentre era, there’s been to many retail parks that have opened up closer to shoppers, I blame the councils as there have signed consent of having these retail parks built and turned there own town centres into ghost towns.

Andreos1

10 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm #18
(10 Jun 2020, 11:24 am)Ambassador At the time of the closure it was the right thing to do, Retail was booming and the old food court wasn't really fit for purpose and Brits were eating out like we'd got no kitchens at home.

It was a few years ago, but I was reading something about the ghost malls in America. Starting to wonder if we will follow that trend too. 

One I don't mind, is The Oracle in Reading. Not sure if it's the design or because of its location by the river - but it has something about it that intu centres don't.
It's been a while since I was there, but the two in Nottingham that intu have, were pretty awful.

It doesn't seem too long ago, that the metro centre had independent retailers and stores. There was a sweetshop by the old cinema, the tat shop next door, a couple of places to buy stuff for my Amiga... That's just off the top of my head. 
Now, it's pretty much the same store in every town centre and shopping centre up and down the country. As you say, it's identikit.

Andreos1
10 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm #18

(10 Jun 2020, 11:24 am)Ambassador At the time of the closure it was the right thing to do, Retail was booming and the old food court wasn't really fit for purpose and Brits were eating out like we'd got no kitchens at home.

It was a few years ago, but I was reading something about the ghost malls in America. Starting to wonder if we will follow that trend too. 

One I don't mind, is The Oracle in Reading. Not sure if it's the design or because of its location by the river - but it has something about it that intu centres don't.
It's been a while since I was there, but the two in Nottingham that intu have, were pretty awful.

It doesn't seem too long ago, that the metro centre had independent retailers and stores. There was a sweetshop by the old cinema, the tat shop next door, a couple of places to buy stuff for my Amiga... That's just off the top of my head. 
Now, it's pretty much the same store in every town centre and shopping centre up and down the country. As you say, it's identikit.

cbma06

10 Jun 2020, 1:08 pm #19
From Facebook:

A total of 545 jobs are set to be lost with 35 store closures as Monsoon Accessorize entered into administration after the coronavirus pandemic scuppered its turnaround

Fashion chain Quiz has also entered administration with 82 stores and number of jobs at risk

cbma06
10 Jun 2020, 1:08 pm #19

From Facebook:

A total of 545 jobs are set to be lost with 35 store closures as Monsoon Accessorize entered into administration after the coronavirus pandemic scuppered its turnaround

Fashion chain Quiz has also entered administration with 82 stores and number of jobs at risk

Jimmi

10 Jun 2020, 9:45 pm #20
(10 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm)Andreos1 It was a few years ago, but I was reading something about the ghost malls in America. Starting to wonder if we will follow that trend too. 

I quite the Ceasers Palace look to the Trafford Centre but even in there it is still just the same shops as every other shopping centre for the most part.

I cba with the Metrocentre half the time these days as I find it a pain to get round as the downside to being so big is having to fill so many units so you have shops spread all over the place, so I have to go round virtually the whole centre so I can go through everywhere I want in there which I find irritating, spend arguably more time walking between shops than actually in them! I honestly prefer Middlesbrough myself as it has many of the same retailers as the Metrocentre has and less distance also I like that it's a mix of indoor and outdoor as several hours of being in an indoor shopping centre can become nauseating after a while.
Jimmi
10 Jun 2020, 9:45 pm #20

(10 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm)Andreos1 It was a few years ago, but I was reading something about the ghost malls in America. Starting to wonder if we will follow that trend too. 

I quite the Ceasers Palace look to the Trafford Centre but even in there it is still just the same shops as every other shopping centre for the most part.

I cba with the Metrocentre half the time these days as I find it a pain to get round as the downside to being so big is having to fill so many units so you have shops spread all over the place, so I have to go round virtually the whole centre so I can go through everywhere I want in there which I find irritating, spend arguably more time walking between shops than actually in them! I honestly prefer Middlesbrough myself as it has many of the same retailers as the Metrocentre has and less distance also I like that it's a mix of indoor and outdoor as several hours of being in an indoor shopping centre can become nauseating after a while.

Pages (4): 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average