Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East Latest News

Stagecoach North East Latest News

Stagecoach North East Latest News

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (127): 1 2 3127 Next
V514DFT

22 Oct 2020, 2:32 pm #1
Looks like 22437 is back from the brink of death, Was my 11.30am bus to Wallsend on the 22 (22.10.20)

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
22 Oct 2020, 2:32 pm #1

Looks like 22437 is back from the brink of death, Was my 11.30am bus to Wallsend on the 22 (22.10.20)

Kind Regards
Tez

Michael

26 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm #2
Stagecoach abandons WiFi on most routes... info from Steven Knight Media:

https://www.stevenknightmedia.com/fleet-...ost-routes

WIFI was working on the 16 today.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm #2

Stagecoach abandons WiFi on most routes... info from Steven Knight Media:

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

V514DFT

26 Oct 2020, 7:46 pm #3
Seemed to be working the other day when i used the 22

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
26 Oct 2020, 7:46 pm #3

Seemed to be working the other day when i used the 22

Kind Regards
Tez

Andreos1

26 Oct 2020, 7:55 pm #4
(26 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm)Michael Stagecoach abandons WiFi on most routes... info from Steven Knight Media:

An interesting move. 
An acceptance that wifi isn't a luxury passengers want or need?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Oct 2020, 7:55 pm #4

(26 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm)Michael Stagecoach abandons WiFi on most routes... info from Steven Knight Media:

An interesting move. 
An acceptance that wifi isn't a luxury passengers want or need?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

mb134

26 Oct 2020, 7:56 pm #5
From the Stagecoach website the only routes (nationwide) retaining WiFi are as follows:

East
X5 
Fenstation Busway
Cambridge Park and Ride
Bedford and Cambridge  - 905

East Scotland 
Edinburgh Airport - 747

East Midlands 
Pronto Services

Merseyside and South Lancashire
Liverpool - all routes (except service 22 Chester - West Kirby)
Preston - X2 Preston - Southport - Liverpool
Chester - Chester Park & Ride services

North East 
Tees Valley  - Tees Flex

Oxfordshire 
Oxford Tube
Brackley - Bicester  -  505

South 
Winchester Park & Ride 
Guildford  - 1 & 2

South East 
Canterbury Park & Ride
Canterbury - Unibuses

South Wales
Traws Cymru - T4 ,  T14 , X4

South West
Falcon

West Scotland
Kilmarnock - 1, 11, X76 
Ayr - X77
Dumfries - X74
Ardrossan - 11, X36/X34
Cumbernauld - X25/X28, X19.

This obviously leaves some areas with no buses with WiFi, even on longer distance services such as the X7 from Perth to Aberdeen.
mb134
26 Oct 2020, 7:56 pm #5

From the Stagecoach website the only routes (nationwide) retaining WiFi are as follows:

East
X5 
Fenstation Busway
Cambridge Park and Ride
Bedford and Cambridge  - 905

East Scotland 
Edinburgh Airport - 747

East Midlands 
Pronto Services

Merseyside and South Lancashire
Liverpool - all routes (except service 22 Chester - West Kirby)
Preston - X2 Preston - Southport - Liverpool
Chester - Chester Park & Ride services

North East 
Tees Valley  - Tees Flex

Oxfordshire 
Oxford Tube
Brackley - Bicester  -  505

South 
Winchester Park & Ride 
Guildford  - 1 & 2

South East 
Canterbury Park & Ride
Canterbury - Unibuses

South Wales
Traws Cymru - T4 ,  T14 , X4

South West
Falcon

West Scotland
Kilmarnock - 1, 11, X76 
Ayr - X77
Dumfries - X74
Ardrossan - 11, X36/X34
Cumbernauld - X25/X28, X19.

This obviously leaves some areas with no buses with WiFi, even on longer distance services such as the X7 from Perth to Aberdeen.

Storx

26 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm #6
I don't really see the point in WiFi on buses, especially now that unlimited data plans are becoming cheaper and cheaper. It's horribly slow and has stupid limits of about 250mb. For the people who would use it, it's becoming pointless and those who typically have low data plans nowadays, they wouldn't use it anyway.

I'm not sure whether they use it for tracking purposes though which is the reason random places like supermarkets have it nowadays but don't see why it would be too useful though other than stuff like seeing which buses are busy.

Trains, coaches and other transport on the otherhand can be useful as people will use it on their laptop etc.
Storx
26 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm #6

I don't really see the point in WiFi on buses, especially now that unlimited data plans are becoming cheaper and cheaper. It's horribly slow and has stupid limits of about 250mb. For the people who would use it, it's becoming pointless and those who typically have low data plans nowadays, they wouldn't use it anyway.

I'm not sure whether they use it for tracking purposes though which is the reason random places like supermarkets have it nowadays but don't see why it would be too useful though other than stuff like seeing which buses are busy.

Trains, coaches and other transport on the otherhand can be useful as people will use it on their laptop etc.

mb134

26 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm #7
(26 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm)Storx I don't really see the point in WiFi on buses, especially now that unlimited data plans are becoming cheaper and cheaper. It's horribly slow and has stupid limits of about 250mb. For the people who would use it, it's becoming pointless and those who typically have low data plans nowadays, they wouldn't use it anyway.

I can see both sides of it. For people that use it, it'll be a miss initially but I'd imagine the majority of people will be fine using their mobile data, particularly on smaller hope. 

The issue comes where someone has run out of data, for example, and needs to access their m-ticket. There have been a few instances recently where the Stagecoach app has inexplicably signed me out as I'm about to board a bus, leading to me having to frantically log back in and bring up the ticket. There's a whole load of issues here if there's no on-board WiFi: Forgotten password? You're screwed. No signal? You're screwed. Need to buy a new ticket? You get the picture. 

I do understand the rationale behind removing WiFi from services where people are on for 10-15 minutes and for the most part probably just use data, however there are a number of glaring omissions in that list where WiFi will surely be missed and people might switch to the train as a result.
mb134
26 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm #7

(26 Oct 2020, 8:30 pm)Storx I don't really see the point in WiFi on buses, especially now that unlimited data plans are becoming cheaper and cheaper. It's horribly slow and has stupid limits of about 250mb. For the people who would use it, it's becoming pointless and those who typically have low data plans nowadays, they wouldn't use it anyway.

I can see both sides of it. For people that use it, it'll be a miss initially but I'd imagine the majority of people will be fine using their mobile data, particularly on smaller hope. 

The issue comes where someone has run out of data, for example, and needs to access their m-ticket. There have been a few instances recently where the Stagecoach app has inexplicably signed me out as I'm about to board a bus, leading to me having to frantically log back in and bring up the ticket. There's a whole load of issues here if there's no on-board WiFi: Forgotten password? You're screwed. No signal? You're screwed. Need to buy a new ticket? You get the picture. 

I do understand the rationale behind removing WiFi from services where people are on for 10-15 minutes and for the most part probably just use data, however there are a number of glaring omissions in that list where WiFi will surely be missed and people might switch to the train as a result.

Storx

26 Oct 2020, 9:44 pm #8
(26 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm)mb134 I can see both sides of it. For people that use it, it'll be a miss initially but I'd imagine the majority of people will be fine using their mobile data, particularly on smaller hope. 

Yeah all valid points to be fair, mind I definitely wouldn't be using a mobile ticketing app if I had no data, risky as hell. I do think over the next year or so we'll see the use getting less and less though now that unlimited and high data plans are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Mind if you don't have signal though there's probably no WiFi though as they both use mobile networks.

Assuming with the longer routes we're talking about the 10 (Inverness to Aberdeen) and the Wick one (forgot it's number) which I agree with as you could easily use laptop on them tbh and they're pretty much coach services anyway.
Storx
26 Oct 2020, 9:44 pm #8

(26 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm)mb134 I can see both sides of it. For people that use it, it'll be a miss initially but I'd imagine the majority of people will be fine using their mobile data, particularly on smaller hope. 

Yeah all valid points to be fair, mind I definitely wouldn't be using a mobile ticketing app if I had no data, risky as hell. I do think over the next year or so we'll see the use getting less and less though now that unlimited and high data plans are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Mind if you don't have signal though there's probably no WiFi though as they both use mobile networks.

Assuming with the longer routes we're talking about the 10 (Inverness to Aberdeen) and the Wick one (forgot it's number) which I agree with as you could easily use laptop on them tbh and they're pretty much coach services anyway.

26 Oct 2020, 10:27 pm #9
Didn’t even realise that the Tees Flex had Wi-Fi ! I’ve used that service quite a bit too. Like others have said, mobile data is so much faster than bus Wi-Fi. They seem to throttle the Wi-Fi speed .
Economic505
26 Oct 2020, 10:27 pm #9

Didn’t even realise that the Tees Flex had Wi-Fi ! I’ve used that service quite a bit too. Like others have said, mobile data is so much faster than bus Wi-Fi. They seem to throttle the Wi-Fi speed .

26 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm #10

Honestly, after chatting to some of my peers, the wifi on the buses is probably the most used function on newer buses. Although not so much Stagecoach, comparing to some of the features on Go North East, it’s the one that I find most helpful.

Unless you have a cable for your phone, those USB chargers/ plug sockets aren’t going to be that much help to you, and quite a few of the don’t work (*cough* Arriva). You’re also not going to find Tables and Sockets for every seat, while WiFi often works throughout the whole bus. Most people don’t have one of those contactless phone chargers yet either.

WiFi's especially helpful for longer journeys e.g X24/34 but I can see why it’s not that much of an issue when you’re just heading to town and more unlimited data plans. I still think it’s a retrograde step though.
Adtrainsam
26 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm #10

Honestly, after chatting to some of my peers, the wifi on the buses is probably the most used function on newer buses. Although not so much Stagecoach, comparing to some of the features on Go North East, it’s the one that I find most helpful.

Unless you have a cable for your phone, those USB chargers/ plug sockets aren’t going to be that much help to you, and quite a few of the don’t work (*cough* Arriva). You’re also not going to find Tables and Sockets for every seat, while WiFi often works throughout the whole bus. Most people don’t have one of those contactless phone chargers yet either.

WiFi's especially helpful for longer journeys e.g X24/34 but I can see why it’s not that much of an issue when you’re just heading to town and more unlimited data plans. I still think it’s a retrograde step though.

Michael

30 Oct 2020, 8:29 am #11
Wifi not turned on 28035 this morning.

Looks like the gas buses have finally had theirs turned off.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20201030-083027_CaptivePortalLogin.jpg
Size: 264.87 KB / Downloads: 47

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Oct 2020, 8:29 am #11

Wifi not turned on 28035 this morning.

Looks like the gas buses have finally had theirs turned off.

Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20201030-083027_CaptivePortalLogin.jpg
Size: 264.87 KB / Downloads: 47

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Benny

30 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm #12
I don't mind them doing this but don't lie to the public saying its for health and safety reasons when I've had to tweet stagecoach a few times now about buses way past current capacity limits!
Benny
30 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm #12

I don't mind them doing this but don't lie to the public saying its for health and safety reasons when I've had to tweet stagecoach a few times now about buses way past current capacity limits!

31 Oct 2020, 4:29 pm #13
34605 is currently parked up at the back of Sunderland depot
Dans_bus_photos
31 Oct 2020, 4:29 pm #13

34605 is currently parked up at the back of Sunderland depot

Storx

31 Oct 2020, 4:43 pm #14
(30 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm)Benny I don't mind them doing this but don't lie to the public saying its for health and safety reasons when I've had to tweet stagecoach a few times now about buses way past current capacity limits!

What's this about? Think you forgot to quote a post.
Storx
31 Oct 2020, 4:43 pm #14

(30 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm)Benny I don't mind them doing this but don't lie to the public saying its for health and safety reasons when I've had to tweet stagecoach a few times now about buses way past current capacity limits!

What's this about? Think you forgot to quote a post.

Michael

31 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm #15
(31 Oct 2020, 4:29 pm)Dans_bus_photos 34605 is currently parked up at the back of Sunderland depot

Hopefully going to scrap!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
31 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm #15

(31 Oct 2020, 4:29 pm)Dans_bus_photos 34605 is currently parked up at the back of Sunderland depot

Hopefully going to scrap!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

31 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm #16
(31 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm)Michael Hopefully going to scrap!

I doubt it, will probably be to operate dupes in Sunderland. It must no longer be needed at Slatyford. I was on it before it left Sunderland in the summer and wasn't in a bad state given its age.
Dans_bus_photos
31 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm #16

(31 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm)Michael Hopefully going to scrap!

I doubt it, will probably be to operate dupes in Sunderland. It must no longer be needed at Slatyford. I was on it before it left Sunderland in the summer and wasn't in a bad state given its age.

AIG20

31 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm #17
(31 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm)Dans_bus_photos I doubt it, will probably be to operate dupes in Sunderland. It must no longer be needed at Slatyford. I was on it before it left Sunderland in the summer and wasn't in a bad state given its age.

There is a video on YouTube of it being maxed out on dual carriageways operating service 100 a few days ago and it sounded great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSqRh2hi5nc

Video by "North East Transport Enthusiast".
AIG20
31 Oct 2020, 6:04 pm #17

(31 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm)Dans_bus_photos I doubt it, will probably be to operate dupes in Sunderland. It must no longer be needed at Slatyford. I was on it before it left Sunderland in the summer and wasn't in a bad state given its age.

There is a video on YouTube of it being maxed out on dual carriageways operating service 100 a few days ago and it sounded great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSqRh2hi5nc

Video by "North East Transport Enthusiast".

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Oct 2020, 6:21 pm #18

Yes, quite likely - Stagecoach are introducing further changes to their duplicates from next week.
Dan
31 Oct 2020, 6:21 pm #18

Yes, quite likely - Stagecoach are introducing further changes to their duplicates from next week.

Michael

31 Oct 2020, 6:42 pm #19
(31 Oct 2020, 6:21 pm)Dan Yes, quite likely - Stagecoach are introducing further changes to their duplicates from next week.

Any idea which services?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
31 Oct 2020, 6:42 pm #19

(31 Oct 2020, 6:21 pm)Dan Yes, quite likely - Stagecoach are introducing further changes to their duplicates from next week.

Any idea which services?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Oct 2020, 6:43 pm #20
(31 Oct 2020, 6:42 pm)Michael Any idea which services?

Mainly reducing the ones in Sunderland (due to low use), in favour of adding more in Newcastle.
Dan
31 Oct 2020, 6:43 pm #20

(31 Oct 2020, 6:42 pm)Michael Any idea which services?

Mainly reducing the ones in Sunderland (due to low use), in favour of adding more in Newcastle.

Pages (127): 1 2 3127 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average