Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

ANE Ashington Vehicle Issues

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
Storx

17 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm #81
(17 Feb 2021, 9:01 pm)L469 YVK Ok, not strictly asset stripping but very similar. DB have effectively washed their hands of Arriva.

It's not like haha. Asset stripping is where you sell everything you own; property, vehicles, land and cash the money for yourself and then lease everything back with absolutely stupid interest rates and dump the company with no assets and leases which increase yearly at stupid rates. They're also unsellable as there's nothing to buy bar a lot of leases you don't want leading to them going bust.

Kingfisher is probably the biggest example of this in the UK with Woolworths where they sold all the Woolworths stores off and leased them back and used that money to fund B&Q and then eventually just dumped Woolworths leading to what happened. Debenhams and BHS are two other companies which it's happened to in recent times.

Whatever you think of DB, they're no-where near that level.

Tbf though this isn't the first time it's happened as it happened 15 years ago pre DB aswell with Scanias at Blyth which we're leaking, Metroriders on the X31/X32 often. The 308 being ran by the extremely outdated ex London Olympian N113's. Seems to be a trend with Arriva. Arriva North East are arguable in a much better place atm rather than the likes of Prismas doing the X1 and X93 constantly breaking down and so on plus Prestiges in general.
Storx
17 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm #81

(17 Feb 2021, 9:01 pm)L469 YVK Ok, not strictly asset stripping but very similar. DB have effectively washed their hands of Arriva.

It's not like haha. Asset stripping is where you sell everything you own; property, vehicles, land and cash the money for yourself and then lease everything back with absolutely stupid interest rates and dump the company with no assets and leases which increase yearly at stupid rates. They're also unsellable as there's nothing to buy bar a lot of leases you don't want leading to them going bust.

Kingfisher is probably the biggest example of this in the UK with Woolworths where they sold all the Woolworths stores off and leased them back and used that money to fund B&Q and then eventually just dumped Woolworths leading to what happened. Debenhams and BHS are two other companies which it's happened to in recent times.

Whatever you think of DB, they're no-where near that level.

Tbf though this isn't the first time it's happened as it happened 15 years ago pre DB aswell with Scanias at Blyth which we're leaking, Metroriders on the X31/X32 often. The 308 being ran by the extremely outdated ex London Olympian N113's. Seems to be a trend with Arriva. Arriva North East are arguable in a much better place atm rather than the likes of Prismas doing the X1 and X93 constantly breaking down and so on plus Prestiges in general.

mb134

17 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm #82
(17 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm)Storx Whatever you think of DB, they're no-where near that level.

Yeah it seems cyclical. Those at the top seem to think large scale investment needs to happen two or three times per 10-15 years, still living in the years of Leyland/Volvo Olympians... If you look at Arriva as a whole, there has been investment at a more steady pace in other regions, Yorkshire, Merseyside and some of the ones down south spring to mind.

DB, ultimately, don't control the day to day goings on at ANE. The regional MD is responsible there, for things like shoddy presentation and deteriorating reliability - lets not forget the new MD has an engineering heavy CV, so its surprising that the overall standard appears to have nosedived since he took over the show.
mb134
17 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm #82

(17 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm)Storx Whatever you think of DB, they're no-where near that level.

Yeah it seems cyclical. Those at the top seem to think large scale investment needs to happen two or three times per 10-15 years, still living in the years of Leyland/Volvo Olympians... If you look at Arriva as a whole, there has been investment at a more steady pace in other regions, Yorkshire, Merseyside and some of the ones down south spring to mind.

DB, ultimately, don't control the day to day goings on at ANE. The regional MD is responsible there, for things like shoddy presentation and deteriorating reliability - lets not forget the new MD has an engineering heavy CV, so its surprising that the overall standard appears to have nosedived since he took over the show.

Andreos1

17 Feb 2021, 11:17 pm #83
(17 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm)mb134 Yeah it seems cyclical. Those at the top seem to think large scale investment needs to happen two or three times per 10-15 years, still living in the years of Leyland/Volvo Olympians... If you look at Arriva as a whole, there has been investment at a more steady pace in other regions, Yorkshire, Merseyside and some of the ones down south spring to mind.

Budgets will be key and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stretched to the limit.
Looking at Featham's track record and the ongoing issues at GNW, I'd not be surprised if motivation and moral was low. 
Tight budget and the implications of it, low moral and ageing vehicles - not a challenge for the faint hearted.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Feb 2021, 11:17 pm #83

(17 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm)mb134 Yeah it seems cyclical. Those at the top seem to think large scale investment needs to happen two or three times per 10-15 years, still living in the years of Leyland/Volvo Olympians... If you look at Arriva as a whole, there has been investment at a more steady pace in other regions, Yorkshire, Merseyside and some of the ones down south spring to mind.

Budgets will be key and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stretched to the limit.
Looking at Featham's track record and the ongoing issues at GNW, I'd not be surprised if motivation and moral was low. 
Tight budget and the implications of it, low moral and ageing vehicles - not a challenge for the faint hearted.

mb134

17 Feb 2021, 11:23 pm #84
(17 Feb 2021, 11:17 pm)Andreos1 Budgets will be key and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stretched to the limit.

I think the main issue is undoubtedly the lack of investment in new vehicles. You sort that out, you can change the engineering budget to increase what you can spend on paint (maybe contact the GNE suppliers for a nice deal) and vinyls as reliability will increase so you're not spending thousands a week on Alpha jobs. At the moment its just a vicious cycle and it'll take a decent chunk of money over the next few years (and it needs to be over the next few years) to sort it out. 

Featham was always a bit of a weird one, didn't exactly know what to make of him. I think by the end Nick Knox seemed completely disinterested and was just counting down the days to retirement. New bloke has been in the job for nearly a year at this point, and I'm not too sure what there is to show for it? Granted though, morale was likely on the floor as you say.
mb134
17 Feb 2021, 11:23 pm #84

(17 Feb 2021, 11:17 pm)Andreos1 Budgets will be key and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stretched to the limit.

I think the main issue is undoubtedly the lack of investment in new vehicles. You sort that out, you can change the engineering budget to increase what you can spend on paint (maybe contact the GNE suppliers for a nice deal) and vinyls as reliability will increase so you're not spending thousands a week on Alpha jobs. At the moment its just a vicious cycle and it'll take a decent chunk of money over the next few years (and it needs to be over the next few years) to sort it out. 

Featham was always a bit of a weird one, didn't exactly know what to make of him. I think by the end Nick Knox seemed completely disinterested and was just counting down the days to retirement. New bloke has been in the job for nearly a year at this point, and I'm not too sure what there is to show for it? Granted though, morale was likely on the floor as you say.

Storx

17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm #85

Yeah definitely agree with the local stuff, probably budget stuff with Covid not helping as Andros said. We have to give them credit for trying to keep services as much as they could which you can't really fault them and they were the only one of the big 3 to restore everything back to pre covid levels in the Summer.

I know there's a lot of Arriva / GNE discussion on here but Stagecoach needs a mention here mind as out of the big 3 north of the Tyne they are by far the one in the biggest trouble fleetwise and the lack of investment there is just the same really, especially on singles. God knows what they're planning to do with no investment, an incoming LEZ and approximately 51 MAN buses which tbh are junk and they've just repainted one of the ALX 300's so they're going nowhere. Not to mention the aging Enviro 400 fleet and the hybrids which are having similar breakdowns to Ashington.

Just thought I'd bring that up when you mentioned the cycle patterns as they both do it, but once you start buying junk (let's be honest they are compared to Leylands etc) with poor engines and turbos they aren't going to last 15 years especially on hard work.
Storx
17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm #85

Yeah definitely agree with the local stuff, probably budget stuff with Covid not helping as Andros said. We have to give them credit for trying to keep services as much as they could which you can't really fault them and they were the only one of the big 3 to restore everything back to pre covid levels in the Summer.

I know there's a lot of Arriva / GNE discussion on here but Stagecoach needs a mention here mind as out of the big 3 north of the Tyne they are by far the one in the biggest trouble fleetwise and the lack of investment there is just the same really, especially on singles. God knows what they're planning to do with no investment, an incoming LEZ and approximately 51 MAN buses which tbh are junk and they've just repainted one of the ALX 300's so they're going nowhere. Not to mention the aging Enviro 400 fleet and the hybrids which are having similar breakdowns to Ashington.

Just thought I'd bring that up when you mentioned the cycle patterns as they both do it, but once you start buying junk (let's be honest they are compared to Leylands etc) with poor engines and turbos they aren't going to last 15 years especially on hard work.

Andreos1

17 Feb 2021, 11:46 pm #86
(17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm)Storx Yeah definitely agree with the local stuff, probably budget stuff with Covid not helping as Andros said. We have to give them credit for trying to keep services as much as they could which you can't really fault them and they were the only one of the big 3 to restore everything back to pre covid levels in the Summer.

I genuinely think the lightweight, low-rated vehicles are a false economy.
It's the same as when you see a 1litre Ford Focus on the motorway. MPG might be fantastic and the lower tax on the old scheme was very light on the pocket. 
But there's absolutely no-chance that 1.0 Focus is going to stand the test of time vs a 1.5 diesel of the same age, doing the same sort of work. 

Add in all the 'extras' on to the bus, such as the after-market fuel management systems etc and they're asking for trouble.
Short term thinking...

Andreos1
17 Feb 2021, 11:46 pm #86

(17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm)Storx Yeah definitely agree with the local stuff, probably budget stuff with Covid not helping as Andros said. We have to give them credit for trying to keep services as much as they could which you can't really fault them and they were the only one of the big 3 to restore everything back to pre covid levels in the Summer.

I genuinely think the lightweight, low-rated vehicles are a false economy.
It's the same as when you see a 1litre Ford Focus on the motorway. MPG might be fantastic and the lower tax on the old scheme was very light on the pocket. 
But there's absolutely no-chance that 1.0 Focus is going to stand the test of time vs a 1.5 diesel of the same age, doing the same sort of work. 

Add in all the 'extras' on to the bus, such as the after-market fuel management systems etc and they're asking for trouble.
Short term thinking...

mb134

17 Feb 2021, 11:53 pm #87
(17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm)Storx Just thought I'd bring that up when you mentioned the cycle patterns as they both do it, but once you start buying junk (let's be honest they are compared to Leylands etc) with poor engines and turbos they aren't going to last 15 years especially on hard work.

Aye that's what I was meaning. Their mindset seems to be that they're still running a network of Volvos and Scanias which to an extent they are, but they aren't the same as Olympians, L113 saloons etc. 

Operators like Arriva and First who seem to invest in large batches rather than a smaller batch here and there (like GNE for example), they really need to be looking at heavy duty stuff rather than StreetLites, for example. I've said it before but I think if Volvo came out now with a decker chassis with the engine from the B8RLE, companies like Arriva and First would snap them up - especially considering both companies are using elderly B7TLs and B7RLEs reliably as part of their frontline fleets.

I've banged on about it before, but it's of note again I think. I've used buses on the continent quite a bit, particularly in Norway, and they tend to use heavy duty stuff (Volvo, Merc etc). They also have pretty decent public transport usage - I'd wager this is at least partially because services are reliable, so folk are more comfortable using them. All the gimmicks in the world don't make a lightweight vehicle suitable for a demanding route.
mb134
17 Feb 2021, 11:53 pm #87

(17 Feb 2021, 11:39 pm)Storx Just thought I'd bring that up when you mentioned the cycle patterns as they both do it, but once you start buying junk (let's be honest they are compared to Leylands etc) with poor engines and turbos they aren't going to last 15 years especially on hard work.

Aye that's what I was meaning. Their mindset seems to be that they're still running a network of Volvos and Scanias which to an extent they are, but they aren't the same as Olympians, L113 saloons etc. 

Operators like Arriva and First who seem to invest in large batches rather than a smaller batch here and there (like GNE for example), they really need to be looking at heavy duty stuff rather than StreetLites, for example. I've said it before but I think if Volvo came out now with a decker chassis with the engine from the B8RLE, companies like Arriva and First would snap them up - especially considering both companies are using elderly B7TLs and B7RLEs reliably as part of their frontline fleets.

I've banged on about it before, but it's of note again I think. I've used buses on the continent quite a bit, particularly in Norway, and they tend to use heavy duty stuff (Volvo, Merc etc). They also have pretty decent public transport usage - I'd wager this is at least partially because services are reliable, so folk are more comfortable using them. All the gimmicks in the world don't make a lightweight vehicle suitable for a demanding route.

L469 YVK

18 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm #88
Modern E400s are fine for frontline service until around 7-8 years of age (5 for endurance routes such as X14/X15/X18/X20) if looked after properly. The 57 plate E400s that didn't fall in the hands of Blyth and Redcar were fine when used on the X21/X22.

If Arriva were to purchase new vehicles (unlikely), I'd suggest the following types depending on the routes:

- 308 = StreetDeck OM934
- X7/X8/X9/X10/X11 = ADL E400MMC (ZF)
- X21/X22 = ADL E400MMC (ZF)
- X14/X15/X18/X20 = StreetDeck OM936
L469 YVK
18 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm #88

Modern E400s are fine for frontline service until around 7-8 years of age (5 for endurance routes such as X14/X15/X18/X20) if looked after properly. The 57 plate E400s that didn't fall in the hands of Blyth and Redcar were fine when used on the X21/X22.

If Arriva were to purchase new vehicles (unlikely), I'd suggest the following types depending on the routes:

- 308 = StreetDeck OM934

18 Feb 2021, 10:34 pm #89
Rest assured Arriva won't be spending a penny on new buses until the long term implications of the covid carry on are understood. Throw in the new SE Northumberland rail link sheduled to open in 2023 and I'd imagine the fleet numbers needed to cover demand could shrink by 20-30% over the next few years. I'm sure there will also continue to be a steady stream of 10-15 year old vehicles arrive from down south to replace the oldest dross up here for the forseeable future as well.
Driver9***
18 Feb 2021, 10:34 pm #89

Rest assured Arriva won't be spending a penny on new buses until the long term implications of the covid carry on are understood. Throw in the new SE Northumberland rail link sheduled to open in 2023 and I'd imagine the fleet numbers needed to cover demand could shrink by 20-30% over the next few years. I'm sure there will also continue to be a steady stream of 10-15 year old vehicles arrive from down south to replace the oldest dross up here for the forseeable future as well.

18 Feb 2021, 10:38 pm #90
(18 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm)L469 YVK Modern E400s are fine for frontline service until around 7-8 years of age (5 for endurance routes such as X14/X15/X18/X20) if looked after properly. The 57 plate E400s that didn't fall in the hands of Blyth and Redcar were fine when used on the X21/X22.

- 308 = StreetDeck OM934
Plz plz oh god let this happen. An MMC on the X8 to Newcastle instead of it being an VDL DB300 Wright Gemini 2
MichealAaron
18 Feb 2021, 10:38 pm #90

(18 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm)L469 YVK Modern E400s are fine for frontline service until around 7-8 years of age (5 for endurance routes such as X14/X15/X18/X20) if looked after properly. The 57 plate E400s that didn't fall in the hands of Blyth and Redcar were fine when used on the X21/X22.

- 308 = StreetDeck OM934
Plz plz oh god let this happen. An MMC on the X8 to Newcastle instead of it being an VDL DB300 Wright Gemini 2

Jimmi

19 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm #91
One thing I don't think that's helped Arriva is all the Clean Air Zones being introduced or planned to be introduced, the one in Leicester has ended up in a swap shop of buses between depots and divisions. They are now running into the same issue as GNE with Citaros which can't be made Euro 6 with current supplier (or just don't want to) on Green Line routes so are supposedly getting E200MMCs from somewhere to take their place.

If you think we've got it bad, should see some of the other fleets that are still running older stuff than us, there's still W reg Dennis Trident ALX400s running around Luton and 51 plate MPDs in some areas. Think our problem is the nature of some of our routes are just killers.
Jimmi
19 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm #91

One thing I don't think that's helped Arriva is all the Clean Air Zones being introduced or planned to be introduced, the one in Leicester has ended up in a swap shop of buses between depots and divisions. They are now running into the same issue as GNE with Citaros which can't be made Euro 6 with current supplier (or just don't want to) on Green Line routes so are supposedly getting E200MMCs from somewhere to take their place.

If you think we've got it bad, should see some of the other fleets that are still running older stuff than us, there's still W reg Dennis Trident ALX400s running around Luton and 51 plate MPDs in some areas. Think our problem is the nature of some of our routes are just killers.

IRHardy

19 Feb 2021, 8:50 pm #92
(19 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm)Jimmi One thing I don't think that's helped Arriva is all the Clean Air Zones being introduced or planned to be introduced, the one in Leicester has ended up in a swap shop of buses between depots and divisions. They are now running into the same issue as GNE with Citaros which can't be made Euro 6 with current supplier (or just don't want to) on Green Line routes so are supposedly getting E200MMCs from somewhere to take their place.

The Green Line 724 is getting 7 E200MMCs from Maidstone to replace the 7 Citaros at Harlow which are going to Guildford, which then replace 7 Optare Versas which are going to Maidstone. This because the Citaros don't comply with TfL's Euro 6 emissions requirements., The 724 from Harlow to Heathrow enters the TfL area North West of Uxbridge and Heathrow is also in same area.

First Berkshire are also transferring their remaining Citaros to First Midlands at Worcester, which are being replaced by Volvo B7RLEs from Southampton (these are being replaced by StreetLites from Portsmouth following the delivery of a batch of E200MMCs there at the end of 2019). First Berkshire operates three services to Heathrow and one into Uxbridge which these Citaros will not be permitted to be used.
IRHardy
19 Feb 2021, 8:50 pm #92

(19 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm)Jimmi One thing I don't think that's helped Arriva is all the Clean Air Zones being introduced or planned to be introduced, the one in Leicester has ended up in a swap shop of buses between depots and divisions. They are now running into the same issue as GNE with Citaros which can't be made Euro 6 with current supplier (or just don't want to) on Green Line routes so are supposedly getting E200MMCs from somewhere to take their place.

The Green Line 724 is getting 7 E200MMCs from Maidstone to replace the 7 Citaros at Harlow which are going to Guildford, which then replace 7 Optare Versas which are going to Maidstone. This because the Citaros don't comply with TfL's Euro 6 emissions requirements., The 724 from Harlow to Heathrow enters the TfL area North West of Uxbridge and Heathrow is also in same area.

First Berkshire are also transferring their remaining Citaros to First Midlands at Worcester, which are being replaced by Volvo B7RLEs from Southampton (these are being replaced by StreetLites from Portsmouth following the delivery of a batch of E200MMCs there at the end of 2019). First Berkshire operates three services to Heathrow and one into Uxbridge which these Citaros will not be permitted to be used.

mb134

02 Mar 2021, 10:57 am #93
A month after the PVR reduction, which should have seen the 4 Volvos all parked, 3 of the 4 are still being used. 7445 is on the X20 today, with 7446/7484 on the 35/X21/X22 circuit (old B7TLs making everyday journeys sparkle).

7514 was VOR for nearly a month, made it a (nearly) whole two days in service before coming off the road again.

1579 also now been VOR for nearly a month.

4653 has been VOR for the past week, and there's generally at least one off at all times.

7510 hasn't been seen since Friday, but even when it is working it's generally limited to the X30/scholars peak board. Says a lot when the depot staff would prefer to put a 19 year old Volvo B7 onto their premium work ahead of it.

7517 is also enjoying frequent spells off the road.

7530 has been off since Friday, and had been taken out of service 3 times last week.

7553 has been VOR since the 20th Feb.

7556 still hasn't returned from accident repair.

Today, to cover for all the VOR MAX vehicles, 7524/7/8 are on the X15 (7524/7) and X14 (7528). It's a similar story most days with at least a couple of them on there.
mb134
02 Mar 2021, 10:57 am #93

A month after the PVR reduction, which should have seen the 4 Volvos all parked, 3 of the 4 are still being used. 7445 is on the X20 today, with 7446/7484 on the 35/X21/X22 circuit (old B7TLs making everyday journeys sparkle).

7514 was VOR for nearly a month, made it a (nearly) whole two days in service before coming off the road again.

4653 has been VOR for the past week, and there's generally at least one off at all times.

7510 hasn't been seen since Friday, but even when it is working it's generally limited to the X30/scholars peak board. Says a lot when the depot staff would prefer to put a 19 year old Volvo B7 onto their premium work ahead of it.

7530 has been off since Friday, and had been taken out of service 3 times last week.

Today, to cover for all the VOR MAX vehicles, 7524/7/8 are on the X15 (7524/7) and X14 (7528). It's a similar story most days with at least a couple of them on there.

Storx

02 Mar 2021, 1:12 pm #94
(02 Mar 2021, 10:57 am)mb134 A month after the PVR reduction, which should have seen the 4 Volvos all parked, 3 of the 4 are still being used. 7445 is on the X20 today, with 7446/7484 on the 35/X21/X22 circuit (old B7TLs making everyday journeys sparkle).

Just had a look there as was curious, guessing 7510 is broken like the rest.

Seems that 7484 had broken down or it's been swapped at Bedlington station by 7554 at 10am, unusual place if it was meant.

Seems like Ashington are running very short atm, especially now that the Max buses are yet again on the 57/57A, 7512 being on today since 1801 and (as usual) 2809 are off the road. Don't think there's any spares buses now at all so anymore breakdowns will be a cancelled service unless I've missed some buses.
Storx
02 Mar 2021, 1:12 pm #94

(02 Mar 2021, 10:57 am)mb134 A month after the PVR reduction, which should have seen the 4 Volvos all parked, 3 of the 4 are still being used. 7445 is on the X20 today, with 7446/7484 on the 35/X21/X22 circuit (old B7TLs making everyday journeys sparkle).

Just had a look there as was curious, guessing 7510 is broken like the rest.

Seems that 7484 had broken down or it's been swapped at Bedlington station by 7554 at 10am, unusual place if it was meant.

Seems like Ashington are running very short atm, especially now that the Max buses are yet again on the 57/57A, 7512 being on today since 1801 and (as usual) 2809 are off the road. Don't think there's any spares buses now at all so anymore breakdowns will be a cancelled service unless I've missed some buses.

mb134

02 Mar 2021, 2:17 pm #95
(02 Mar 2021, 1:12 pm)Storx Just had a look there as was curious, guessing 7510 is broken like the rest.

Yeah I'm led to believe 7484 failed at Bedlington Station. 7446 also failed in Ashington bus station around the same time but they got that going again and picked up its run an hour or so later on the return leg. 

I've been critical of the lack of investment, but ultimately this looks more and more like it's just shoddy maintenance at Ashington. In the space of a month you'd like to think they'd get to the point where they could meet PVR without having to use vehicles that should be parked up. 7514 being off for a month then being taken off on its second day screams of an incomplete repair and/or inadequate road testing. The amount of times 7530 failed last week equally reeks of engineers patching it, or not being bothered to properly diagnose and fix a problem. Again, with the frequency 7517 is taken off the road I think it's fair to assume it has an ongoing issue - competent management at depot level should be aware of that and demanding answers from engineering staff as to why it is - and getting them to fix it properly. Eventually customers notice the same vehicles having issues, and it starts to look bad on the company. I was on an Elite i up here in September which failed just outside of Aberdeen, one of the regulars got off and you could hear him saying to the driver that it was the second day running the same bus had failed in virtually the same location - punters pay attention to these things when it inconveniences them.
mb134
02 Mar 2021, 2:17 pm #95

(02 Mar 2021, 1:12 pm)Storx Just had a look there as was curious, guessing 7510 is broken like the rest.

Yeah I'm led to believe 7484 failed at Bedlington Station. 7446 also failed in Ashington bus station around the same time but they got that going again and picked up its run an hour or so later on the return leg. 

I've been critical of the lack of investment, but ultimately this looks more and more like it's just shoddy maintenance at Ashington. In the space of a month you'd like to think they'd get to the point where they could meet PVR without having to use vehicles that should be parked up. 7514 being off for a month then being taken off on its second day screams of an incomplete repair and/or inadequate road testing. The amount of times 7530 failed last week equally reeks of engineers patching it, or not being bothered to properly diagnose and fix a problem. Again, with the frequency 7517 is taken off the road I think it's fair to assume it has an ongoing issue - competent management at depot level should be aware of that and demanding answers from engineering staff as to why it is - and getting them to fix it properly. Eventually customers notice the same vehicles having issues, and it starts to look bad on the company. I was on an Elite i up here in September which failed just outside of Aberdeen, one of the regulars got off and you could hear him saying to the driver that it was the second day running the same bus had failed in virtually the same location - punters pay attention to these things when it inconveniences them.

02 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm #96
Are there any legal consequences that could arise because of this?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
02 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm #96

Are there any legal consequences that could arise because of this?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Storx

02 Mar 2021, 4:51 pm #97
(02 Mar 2021, 2:17 pm)mb134 Yeah I'm led to believe 7484 failed at Bedlington Station. 7446 also failed in Ashington bus station around the same time but they got that going again and picked up its run an hour or so later on the return leg. 

Yeah I seen 7446 died but didn't know whether it was the tracking breaking again like on 2809.

God knows what's going on there lately, they've got an awful lot of buses off the road though. Wonder if there's something up with Arriva NE and Enviro's tho as it seems there's 6/12 VOR at Durham and Darlo aswell or they're not using them but I believe Darlington has been loaning buses from Stockton due to shortages (or it may have been the other way round). Agreed with the comments about customers noticing though, definitely something very wrong lately.

Be interesting to see if timetables go back to normal next week for the schools going back as Ashington are in trouble if they do due to a lack of buses.
Storx
02 Mar 2021, 4:51 pm #97

(02 Mar 2021, 2:17 pm)mb134 Yeah I'm led to believe 7484 failed at Bedlington Station. 7446 also failed in Ashington bus station around the same time but they got that going again and picked up its run an hour or so later on the return leg. 

Yeah I seen 7446 died but didn't know whether it was the tracking breaking again like on 2809.

God knows what's going on there lately, they've got an awful lot of buses off the road though. Wonder if there's something up with Arriva NE and Enviro's tho as it seems there's 6/12 VOR at Durham and Darlo aswell or they're not using them but I believe Darlington has been loaning buses from Stockton due to shortages (or it may have been the other way round). Agreed with the comments about customers noticing though, definitely something very wrong lately.

Be interesting to see if timetables go back to normal next week for the schools going back as Ashington are in trouble if they do due to a lack of buses.

Andreos1

02 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm #98
(02 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm)ASX_Terranova Are there any legal consequences that could arise because of this?

Lost mileage could be an issue.
If it is being recorded and reported accurately. 

It was a lot easier to cover it up in the past and for operators to tell a complaining passenger that 'the bus definitely ran' and subsequently claim for BSOG or other financial incentives. 
With the advent of all the open data and tracking, I'd imagine it is a lot more difficult for an operator to cover up the lost mileage and fraudulent BSOG claims, should DVSA or anyone else start sniffing around in a determined enough fashion.

Andreos1
02 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm #98

(02 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm)ASX_Terranova Are there any legal consequences that could arise because of this?

Lost mileage could be an issue.

It was a lot easier to cover it up in the past and for operators to tell a complaining passenger that 'the bus definitely ran' and subsequently claim for BSOG or other financial incentives. 
With the advent of all the open data and tracking, I'd imagine it is a lot more difficult for an operator to cover up the lost mileage and fraudulent BSOG claims, should DVSA or anyone else start sniffing around in a determined enough fashion.

mb134

02 Mar 2021, 9:19 pm #99
(02 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm)Andreos1 Lost mileage could be an issue.

I'd imagine this is part of the problem. They're meeting service by either patching stuff and pushing it out, or by using the likes of B7TLs on Sapphire work, so on the surface it probably seems fine as long as all the runs are covered right? But then punters will be pushed away when the same board for weeks on end is allocated whatever they can find at the end of the runout. Used to be the 0735/0755 X22 to Newcastle, which were the last two boards out the depot, think it's now the 0752 35 to Morpeth. I'd imagine those passengers will eventually get quite annoyed when every day they're given a clapped out MAX E400 (any of 7511/2/4-7) or a B7TL instead of a Sapphire E400.
mb134
02 Mar 2021, 9:19 pm #99

(02 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm)Andreos1 Lost mileage could be an issue.

I'd imagine this is part of the problem. They're meeting service by either patching stuff and pushing it out, or by using the likes of B7TLs on Sapphire work, so on the surface it probably seems fine as long as all the runs are covered right? But then punters will be pushed away when the same board for weeks on end is allocated whatever they can find at the end of the runout. Used to be the 0735/0755 X22 to Newcastle, which were the last two boards out the depot, think it's now the 0752 35 to Morpeth. I'd imagine those passengers will eventually get quite annoyed when every day they're given a clapped out MAX E400 (any of 7511/2/4-7) or a B7TL instead of a Sapphire E400.

03 Mar 2021, 9:49 am #100
To add further insult to injury today Darlington currently have 1422 and 1423 on loan unsure whether it’s in replacement on 1445/1448 that have been on loan or if there really that short, just seems odd that we’re loaning buses of other depots when there’s load of buses up the depot that aren’t being used
Stuartphin1639
03 Mar 2021, 9:49 am #100

To add further insult to injury today Darlington currently have 1422 and 1423 on loan unsure whether it’s in replacement on 1445/1448 that have been on loan or if there really that short, just seems odd that we’re loaning buses of other depots when there’s load of buses up the depot that aren’t being used

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average