Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Durham Father's Day Rally - Howlands Park & Ride - 20th June 2021

Durham Father's Day Rally - Howlands Park & Ride - 20th June 2021

Durham Father's Day Rally - Howlands Park & Ride - 20th June 2021

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5
21 Jun 2021, 1:42 pm #81
(21 Jun 2021, 11:28 am)V514DFT I'd quite like to make it to a Rally sometime,ive never actually been to one

It's going to be a bit of an odd year for rallies, given the current situation!

I've only managed to visit a couple of rallies around the north-east, Howlands a few years ago and one at, I think, Seaburn.  Of the two, I preferred Howlands; nice mix of vehicles on display, combined with the shuttles to and from Durham city centre.  the folks I talked to were quite friendly as well, although one "enthusiast" let forth a stream of invective at something I'd allegedly done ..... I guess there's always one!

The thing I did notice, however, was that both were smaller events than the ones on the south west that I've done.  I guess at Howlands they're limited by the size of the venue, although the one in Chippenham has a smaller "base venue" but gets round it by using the bus station as a secondary venue together with being the start of the heritage services, with a shuttle between the two sites.  Seaburn, of course, was a slightly different situation, as it was a vintage vehicle rally with a fairly small selection of buses - wasn't really quite my thing, but I guess it would work for others.

Anyway, hope you make it to a rally, and that you enjoy yourself.  And, in the unlikely event that you find yourself in Gloucestershire on 11th July, I gather the Stroud rally is going ahead - usually a good one, so I may well pop over and see how it goes this year!
Ianthegoon
21 Jun 2021, 1:42 pm #81

(21 Jun 2021, 11:28 am)V514DFT I'd quite like to make it to a Rally sometime,ive never actually been to one

It's going to be a bit of an odd year for rallies, given the current situation!

I've only managed to visit a couple of rallies around the north-east, Howlands a few years ago and one at, I think, Seaburn.  Of the two, I preferred Howlands; nice mix of vehicles on display, combined with the shuttles to and from Durham city centre.  the folks I talked to were quite friendly as well, although one "enthusiast" let forth a stream of invective at something I'd allegedly done ..... I guess there's always one!

The thing I did notice, however, was that both were smaller events than the ones on the south west that I've done.  I guess at Howlands they're limited by the size of the venue, although the one in Chippenham has a smaller "base venue" but gets round it by using the bus station as a secondary venue together with being the start of the heritage services, with a shuttle between the two sites.  Seaburn, of course, was a slightly different situation, as it was a vintage vehicle rally with a fairly small selection of buses - wasn't really quite my thing, but I guess it would work for others.

Anyway, hope you make it to a rally, and that you enjoy yourself.  And, in the unlikely event that you find yourself in Gloucestershire on 11th July, I gather the Stroud rally is going ahead - usually a good one, so I may well pop over and see how it goes this year!

V514DFT

21 Jun 2021, 3:06 pm #82
(21 Jun 2021, 1:42 pm)Ianthegoon It's going to be a bit of an odd year for rallies, given the current situation!

Dont get me wrong,it wont be until this Covid stuff is over and done with,as i'd quite like to take my son with me,its him i have to think of

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
21 Jun 2021, 3:06 pm #82

(21 Jun 2021, 1:42 pm)Ianthegoon It's going to be a bit of an odd year for rallies, given the current situation!

Dont get me wrong,it wont be until this Covid stuff is over and done with,as i'd quite like to take my son with me,its him i have to think of

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

21 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm #83

I quite like Seaburn; if you get the weather, it's perfect, but if not then its awful as a soft-standing event. The only issue with Seaburn, is that the attendance in the last few years has been pretty dire. Probably because its at the tail-end of the North East rally season, and personally I think we've got too many events, instead of focussing on say two larger affairs.

Howlands is an OK venue, but the Sniperley Park & Ride side would be a better place to have a Durham rally. All 3 P&R sites sit empty on a Sunday, so I'm sure the County Council would agree to it if asked. Sniperley is laid out in a horseshoe formation and the sun is in a perfect place pretty much all day.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Jun 2021, 6:30 pm #83

I quite like Seaburn; if you get the weather, it's perfect, but if not then its awful as a soft-standing event. The only issue with Seaburn, is that the attendance in the last few years has been pretty dire. Probably because its at the tail-end of the North East rally season, and personally I think we've got too many events, instead of focussing on say two larger affairs.

Howlands is an OK venue, but the Sniperley Park & Ride side would be a better place to have a Durham rally. All 3 P&R sites sit empty on a Sunday, so I'm sure the County Council would agree to it if asked. Sniperley is laid out in a horseshoe formation and the sun is in a perfect place pretty much all day.

21 Jun 2021, 7:43 pm #84
Seaburn 2019 was quite small for buses turning up. The usual lot weren't there.

Howlands Park & Ride is okay but parking the buses is a task. Is there another Park&Ride near Durham for them to use

Whitly Bay went terrible when it was moved out of the car park

Metrocentre is decent but much prefer the rally down the quayside where it was held for 2 years
Micheal Aaron
21 Jun 2021, 7:43 pm #84

Seaburn 2019 was quite small for buses turning up. The usual lot weren't there.

Howlands Park & Ride is okay but parking the buses is a task. Is there another Park&Ride near Durham for them to use

Metrocentre is decent but much prefer the rally down the quayside where it was held for 2 years

21 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm #85
I personally don't understand the appeal of a bus rally, then again I'm really not into older buses. And don't even get me started on opinions on 'enthusiasts' (of anything, not just buses), I'll probably get banned!

I remember going to one at Metrocentre maybe 10-15 years ago as a family friend had a converted bus on display, and it was honestly a frightening experience as a 10-12 year old walking around having a look with all the 'enthusiasts' pushing past to get photos.

The only upside was that I got box of Arriva branded pens, I still have a couple in the office!
streetdeckfan
21 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm #85

I personally don't understand the appeal of a bus rally, then again I'm really not into older buses. And don't even get me started on opinions on 'enthusiasts' (of anything, not just buses), I'll probably get banned!

I remember going to one at Metrocentre maybe 10-15 years ago as a family friend had a converted bus on display, and it was honestly a frightening experience as a 10-12 year old walking around having a look with all the 'enthusiasts' pushing past to get photos.

The only upside was that I got box of Arriva branded pens, I still have a couple in the office!

Adrian

21 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm #86
(21 Jun 2021, 7:43 pm)Micheal Aaron Seaburn 2019 was quite small for buses turning up. The usual lot weren't there.

There's three P&R sites. Howlands, the one I've mentioned - Sniperley, and Belmont.

Adrian
21 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm #86

(21 Jun 2021, 7:43 pm)Micheal Aaron Seaburn 2019 was quite small for buses turning up. The usual lot weren't there.

There's three P&R sites. Howlands, the one I've mentioned - Sniperley, and Belmont.

22 Jun 2021, 7:59 am #87
Which out of the 3 is the biggest
Micheal Aaron
22 Jun 2021, 7:59 am #87

Which out of the 3 is the biggest

22 Jun 2021, 8:34 am #88
(22 Jun 2021, 7:59 am)Micheal Aaron Which out of the 3 is the biggest

Belmont from looking at Google Maps.
Sniperley is the smallest.
omnicity4659
22 Jun 2021, 8:34 am #88

(22 Jun 2021, 7:59 am)Micheal Aaron Which out of the 3 is the biggest

Belmont from looking at Google Maps.

cbma06

22 Jun 2021, 9:51 am #89
(22 Jun 2021, 8:34 am)omnicity4659 Belmont from looking at Google Maps.

The first year of the rally was at Belmont P&R, don’t know why it was moved as there’s a lot of space at Belmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
22 Jun 2021, 9:51 am #89

(22 Jun 2021, 8:34 am)omnicity4659 Belmont from looking at Google Maps.

The first year of the rally was at Belmont P&R, don’t know why it was moved as there’s a lot of space at Belmont

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 Jun 2021, 10:46 am #90
Possible a move back next year cause Howlands is a bit crowded
Micheal Aaron
22 Jun 2021, 10:46 am #90

Possible a move back next year cause Howlands is a bit crowded

22 Jun 2021, 4:14 pm #91
Probably would’ve been easier having it at Belmont especially with Elvet Bridge being closed and having to take a diversion to go to Howlands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
22 Jun 2021, 4:14 pm #91

Probably would’ve been easier having it at Belmont especially with Elvet Bridge being closed and having to take a diversion to go to Howlands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Storx

22 Jun 2021, 8:16 pm #92
Surely the reason for Belmont could be is because it's the busiest and most used out of the 3 so they don't want reserve most of it for a few buses and turn away potential tourists etc.

I'm not sure if they could but could they not try and use New College,the car parks massive and it's closed on a Sunday so there's plenty space. I know it's used for Luminere.
Storx
22 Jun 2021, 8:16 pm #92

Surely the reason for Belmont could be is because it's the busiest and most used out of the 3 so they don't want reserve most of it for a few buses and turn away potential tourists etc.

I'm not sure if they could but could they not try and use New College,the car parks massive and it's closed on a Sunday so there's plenty space. I know it's used for Luminere.

S813 FVK

22 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm #93
(22 Jun 2021, 8:16 pm)Storx Surely the reason for Belmont could be is because it's the busiest and most used out of the 3 so they don't want reserve most of it for a few buses and turn away potential tourists etc.

The Park and Ride service doesn't run on Sundays so this wouldn't be an issue.

In terms of space available Belmont is the best of the three. Two car parks larger than the one used at the current Howlands venue - one of which is of a decent length. Might allow for a better layout of vehicles or even greater attendance I don't know.
S813 FVK
22 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm #93

(22 Jun 2021, 8:16 pm)Storx Surely the reason for Belmont could be is because it's the busiest and most used out of the 3 so they don't want reserve most of it for a few buses and turn away potential tourists etc.

The Park and Ride service doesn't run on Sundays so this wouldn't be an issue.

In terms of space available Belmont is the best of the three. Two car parks larger than the one used at the current Howlands venue - one of which is of a decent length. Might allow for a better layout of vehicles or even greater attendance I don't know.

Storx

22 Jun 2021, 10:19 pm #94
(22 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm)S813 FVK The Park and Ride service doesn't run on Sundays so this wouldn't be an issue.

Always thought it ran 7 days a week, learnt something new tonight tbh.

Makes sense to be Belmont then which is by far the biggest out of the three.
Storx
22 Jun 2021, 10:19 pm #94

(22 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm)S813 FVK The Park and Ride service doesn't run on Sundays so this wouldn't be an issue.

Always thought it ran 7 days a week, learnt something new tonight tbh.

Makes sense to be Belmont then which is by far the biggest out of the three.

Pages (5): Previous 13 4 5

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average