Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

Go North East respond after bus drivers hit out over pay rise

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7): 1 2 37 Next
Adrian

06 Jul 2021, 7:47 am #1
"A NORTH EAST bus company has been accused of "wasting thousands" on paint jobs in favour of a "suitable" pay rise, creating ill-feeling among employees, it has been claimed.
Go North East, which operates services across County Durham, Teesside and Tyne & Wear, has been criticised for rebranding buses instead of offering a four percent rise.
It has since been claimed that some services facing disruption are suffering problems due to a number of staff walking out over the level of pay in recent weeks."

Full story: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...-pay-rise/

One worth following. Ballot is on Wednesday.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Jul 2021, 7:47 am #1

"A NORTH EAST bus company has been accused of "wasting thousands" on paint jobs in favour of a "suitable" pay rise, creating ill-feeling among employees, it has been claimed.
Go North East, which operates services across County Durham, Teesside and Tyne & Wear, has been criticised for rebranding buses instead of offering a four percent rise.
It has since been claimed that some services facing disruption are suffering problems due to a number of staff walking out over the level of pay in recent weeks."

06 Jul 2021, 8:15 am #2
(06 Jul 2021, 7:47 am)Adrian "A NORTH EAST bus company has been accused of "wasting thousands" on paint jobs in favour of a "suitable" pay rise, creating ill-feeling among employees, it has been claimed.

They seem pretty out of touch with how much a pay rise costs in relation to a bit of paint and vinyl.

According to their accounts their spend on pay is around £50 million, so a 2% increase on that is around £1 million. If they want a 4% rise, that's another million.

I can't imagine painting a few buses is going to cost the same as 4 brand new fully loaded StreetDecks!

Especially when a lot of the work is being done internally.

In fact, here's an idea. If they think painting the buses is a waste of money, why not just let all of the staff that do the repaints go? Surely that'll free up a bit of cash for another 2% pay rise, right?
streetdeckfan
06 Jul 2021, 8:15 am #2

(06 Jul 2021, 7:47 am)Adrian "A NORTH EAST bus company has been accused of "wasting thousands" on paint jobs in favour of a "suitable" pay rise, creating ill-feeling among employees, it has been claimed.

They seem pretty out of touch with how much a pay rise costs in relation to a bit of paint and vinyl.

According to their accounts their spend on pay is around £50 million, so a 2% increase on that is around £1 million. If they want a 4% rise, that's another million.

I can't imagine painting a few buses is going to cost the same as 4 brand new fully loaded StreetDecks!

Especially when a lot of the work is being done internally.

In fact, here's an idea. If they think painting the buses is a waste of money, why not just let all of the staff that do the repaints go? Surely that'll free up a bit of cash for another 2% pay rise, right?

06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am #3
This was mentioned by Martin in his Facebook live stream. But seriously why go to the media to spread a story round
Micheal Aaron
06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am #3

This was mentioned by Martin in his Facebook live stream. But seriously why go to the media to spread a story round

06 Jul 2021, 8:20 am #4
(06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am)Micheal Aaron This was mentioned by Martin in his Facebook live stream. But seriously why go to the media to spread a story round

One word.

Attention
streetdeckfan
06 Jul 2021, 8:20 am #4

(06 Jul 2021, 8:18 am)Micheal Aaron This was mentioned by Martin in his Facebook live stream. But seriously why go to the media to spread a story round

One word.

Attention

Ambassador

06 Jul 2021, 8:34 am #5

I imagine it'll be union led to try to shape public opinion which very rarely works but Union thinking is somewhat archaic and simplistic. 

2% is a really good offer in a period when it's hard to justify a pay rise when your business has been essentially state funded for the best part of a year, a reality check is needed (even if the Go Ahead share price is fairly healthy)

There's lots of private (and public) sector employees who have faced long periods of furlough at reduced pay and in a lot of cases redundancy and would murder their own granny for a 2% raise.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
06 Jul 2021, 8:34 am #5

I imagine it'll be union led to try to shape public opinion which very rarely works but Union thinking is somewhat archaic and simplistic. 

2% is a really good offer in a period when it's hard to justify a pay rise when your business has been essentially state funded for the best part of a year, a reality check is needed (even if the Go Ahead share price is fairly healthy)

There's lots of private (and public) sector employees who have faced long periods of furlough at reduced pay and in a lot of cases redundancy and would murder their own granny for a 2% raise.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Adrian

06 Jul 2021, 8:44 am #6
(06 Jul 2021, 8:34 am)Ambassador I imagine it'll be union led to try to shape public opinion which very rarely works but Union thinking is somewhat archaic and simplistic. 

The article seems to suggest that 2% would have been accepted for 2021, but there's nothing to cover the zero 'pay award' for 2020. Bus drivers, like other frontline workers, have kept the country moving throughout a pandemic. Not to mention all the flexibility associated with 'helping out' around the region. It'll be interesting to see what the ballot result is, and thus the strength of feeling.

I don't buy the race to the bottom argument. The public sector has had over a decade of pay restraint now, with successive Governments repeatedly finding further reasons to continue with it. Looks like the NHS staff are getting one medal to share, in addition to an insulting 1% offer.

Adrian
06 Jul 2021, 8:44 am #6

(06 Jul 2021, 8:34 am)Ambassador I imagine it'll be union led to try to shape public opinion which very rarely works but Union thinking is somewhat archaic and simplistic. 

The article seems to suggest that 2% would have been accepted for 2021, but there's nothing to cover the zero 'pay award' for 2020. Bus drivers, like other frontline workers, have kept the country moving throughout a pandemic. Not to mention all the flexibility associated with 'helping out' around the region. It'll be interesting to see what the ballot result is, and thus the strength of feeling.

I don't buy the race to the bottom argument. The public sector has had over a decade of pay restraint now, with successive Governments repeatedly finding further reasons to continue with it. Looks like the NHS staff are getting one medal to share, in addition to an insulting 1% offer.

Andreos1

06 Jul 2021, 8:51 am #7

So these 'incidents' where buses aren't running and we see office or depot staff (fitters and the like) stepping in, isn't just Covid related?
Interesting. Particularly when we see and hear all those comments directed at GCT following their staffing issues.

All not well behind the scenes at Team GNE.

Hopefully we see this sorted soon and we don't have another Oxford Road on our hands.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Jul 2021, 8:51 am #7

So these 'incidents' where buses aren't running and we see office or depot staff (fitters and the like) stepping in, isn't just Covid related?
Interesting. Particularly when we see and hear all those comments directed at GCT following their staffing issues.

All not well behind the scenes at Team GNE.

Hopefully we see this sorted soon and we don't have another Oxford Road on our hands.

06 Jul 2021, 8:51 am #8
Plus Martin even said that no company is making money. Especially after all the stuff that was said last year about public transport not being safe.

I still saw people complaining when Go North East put out there brand new Coaches and the X Lines X84/5 saying that they wasted money given by government

The rebrand of buses is to get people out there to use buses more. For all we know. These investment into the Coaches for the X9/X10 or any other route that has been rebrand. That it has slightly increased passenger numbers than it did before

Adding trips like the X11 or the B1 or having vintage bus services on them helped number as well

Like Martin said no company is making massive profits
Micheal Aaron
06 Jul 2021, 8:51 am #8

Plus Martin even said that no company is making money. Especially after all the stuff that was said last year about public transport not being safe.

I still saw people complaining when Go North East put out there brand new Coaches and the X Lines X84/5 saying that they wasted money given by government

The rebrand of buses is to get people out there to use buses more. For all we know. These investment into the Coaches for the X9/X10 or any other route that has been rebrand. That it has slightly increased passenger numbers than it did before

Adding trips like the X11 or the B1 or having vintage bus services on them helped number as well

Like Martin said no company is making massive profits

GNE6312

06 Jul 2021, 9:14 am #9
Why criticise the staff member for criticising the company when if this was GCT or arriva people would be all over it and would be mega criticising the company but with GNE people are quick to defend them
GNE6312
06 Jul 2021, 9:14 am #9

Why criticise the staff member for criticising the company when if this was GCT or arriva people would be all over it and would be mega criticising the company but with GNE people are quick to defend them

06 Jul 2021, 9:35 am #10
(06 Jul 2021, 9:14 am)GNE6312 Why criticise the staff member for criticising the company when if this was GCT or arriva people would be all over it and would be mega criticising the company but with GNE people are quick to defend them

Because the criticism makes absolutely no sense!

The amount they have spent on repaints/vinyls is probably an order of magnitude smaller than what would be required for even an extra 1% in pay.

They'd probably have to repaint the entire fleet several times over to even come close to what they've offered.
streetdeckfan
06 Jul 2021, 9:35 am #10

(06 Jul 2021, 9:14 am)GNE6312 Why criticise the staff member for criticising the company when if this was GCT or arriva people would be all over it and would be mega criticising the company but with GNE people are quick to defend them

Because the criticism makes absolutely no sense!

The amount they have spent on repaints/vinyls is probably an order of magnitude smaller than what would be required for even an extra 1% in pay.

They'd probably have to repaint the entire fleet several times over to even come close to what they've offered.

MurdnunoC

06 Jul 2021, 9:53 am #11
Who would want to be a bus driver in this day and age?

And I speak as someone who has a PSV license.
MurdnunoC
06 Jul 2021, 9:53 am #11

Who would want to be a bus driver in this day and age?

Andreos1

06 Jul 2021, 9:55 am #12
(06 Jul 2021, 9:35 am)streetdeckfan Because the criticism makes absolutely no sense!

Really?
Even when you add in the associated design costs (Stenning needs to make a living too - even if the designs are copied and pasted from elsewhere or created using the automatic livery generator), fuel/plus drivers to get to and from Blackburn, raw materials and labour costs... That's just off the top of my head. 
Sure there will be other numbers which need to be accounted for too.

Andreos1
06 Jul 2021, 9:55 am #12

(06 Jul 2021, 9:35 am)streetdeckfan Because the criticism makes absolutely no sense!

Really?
Even when you add in the associated design costs (Stenning needs to make a living too - even if the designs are copied and pasted from elsewhere or created using the automatic livery generator), fuel/plus drivers to get to and from Blackburn, raw materials and labour costs... That's just off the top of my head. 
Sure there will be other numbers which need to be accounted for too.

Adrian

06 Jul 2021, 10:01 am #13

Exactly. Someone has obviously felt strongly enough about it to go to the media, which usually means they don't feel that their voice is being heard internally. In a free country we have the right to speak to who we like, and if the media choose to report on it, they obviously think there's enough public interest in doing so.

Nobody complains about Martijn talking to the media, or using his live streams to talk about the pay offer...  Huh

Adrian
06 Jul 2021, 10:01 am #13

Exactly. Someone has obviously felt strongly enough about it to go to the media, which usually means they don't feel that their voice is being heard internally. In a free country we have the right to speak to who we like, and if the media choose to report on it, they obviously think there's enough public interest in doing so.

Nobody complains about Martijn talking to the media, or using his live streams to talk about the pay offer...  Huh

Andreos1

06 Jul 2021, 10:13 am #14
(06 Jul 2021, 9:53 am)MurdnunoC Who would want to be a bus driver in this day and age?

Some people just love buses.

Andreos1
06 Jul 2021, 10:13 am #14

(06 Jul 2021, 9:53 am)MurdnunoC Who would want to be a bus driver in this day and age?

Some people just love buses.

MurdnunoC

06 Jul 2021, 10:18 am #15
(06 Jul 2021, 10:13 am)Andreos1 Some people just love buses.

I guess. But the novelty must wear off, and even the most ardent enthusiast must get jaded after a while.

You have an affinity towards buses. What would make you change career?
MurdnunoC
06 Jul 2021, 10:18 am #15

(06 Jul 2021, 10:13 am)Andreos1 Some people just love buses.

I guess. But the novelty must wear off, and even the most ardent enthusiast must get jaded after a while.

Andreos1

06 Jul 2021, 11:18 am #16
(06 Jul 2021, 10:18 am)MurdnunoC I guess. But the novelty must wear off, and even the most ardent enthusiast must get jaded after a while.

I've worked in transport, I know what it can be like. However my career is different now. 
I ran my own business/consultancy for a while and although I had it on the back burner for a couple years - I've been PAYE for a period of time. 
Redundancy last year (following a period of furlough) actually forced my hand and like others, I changed career. I hoped it would have been temporary, but was open minded.
In the end, it was and earlier this year, I got back in to a similar role to one I was in prior to the pandemic. But with a larger employer and working with a much (extraordinarily) bigger client base.

I did wonder if going back down the transport route last summer was going to be an option. For a while I did look in to getting my hands dirty again. On evaluating my options and the investment needed (time and finance), I decided against it.

Andreos1
06 Jul 2021, 11:18 am #16

(06 Jul 2021, 10:18 am)MurdnunoC I guess. But the novelty must wear off, and even the most ardent enthusiast must get jaded after a while.

I've worked in transport, I know what it can be like. However my career is different now. 
I ran my own business/consultancy for a while and although I had it on the back burner for a couple years - I've been PAYE for a period of time. 
Redundancy last year (following a period of furlough) actually forced my hand and like others, I changed career. I hoped it would have been temporary, but was open minded.
In the end, it was and earlier this year, I got back in to a similar role to one I was in prior to the pandemic. But with a larger employer and working with a much (extraordinarily) bigger client base.

I did wonder if going back down the transport route last summer was going to be an option. For a while I did look in to getting my hands dirty again. On evaluating my options and the investment needed (time and finance), I decided against it.

Chris 1

06 Jul 2021, 11:23 am #17
Interesting question.  For me personally, it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm still stubborn and naieve enough to do it.  One day, once the kids are older.  The shift work is what it is, and working with people you're always going to be in the wrong irrespective if you're a bus driver or shop worker.  Ultimately though it all boils down to money.  It would be a pay cut for me. Assuming the top end of the scale is £11.50-£12.00 ph I could just about get passed my wife.  But not the minimum wage training and £9.00 ish starting rate.
Chris 1
06 Jul 2021, 11:23 am #17

Interesting question.  For me personally, it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm still stubborn and naieve enough to do it.  One day, once the kids are older.  The shift work is what it is, and working with people you're always going to be in the wrong irrespective if you're a bus driver or shop worker.  Ultimately though it all boils down to money.  It would be a pay cut for me. Assuming the top end of the scale is £11.50-£12.00 ph I could just about get passed my wife.  But not the minimum wage training and £9.00 ish starting rate.

06 Jul 2021, 1:25 pm #18
(06 Jul 2021, 11:23 am)Chris 1 Interesting question.  For me personally, it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm still stubborn and naieve enough to do it.  One day, once the kids are older.  The shift work is what it is, and working with people you're always going to be in the wrong irrespective if you're a bus driver or shop worker.  Ultimately though it all boils down to money.  It would be a pay cut for me. Assuming the top end of the scale is £11.50-£12.00 ph I could just about get passed my wife.  But not the minimum wage training and £9.00 ish starting rate.

For me it's down to working with people, it's something I just can't tolerate! I don't think I'd last a day before kicking off with someone.

Even having to send emails at work I usually have to re-read through them and tone them down before sending!
streetdeckfan
06 Jul 2021, 1:25 pm #18

(06 Jul 2021, 11:23 am)Chris 1 Interesting question.  For me personally, it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm still stubborn and naieve enough to do it.  One day, once the kids are older.  The shift work is what it is, and working with people you're always going to be in the wrong irrespective if you're a bus driver or shop worker.  Ultimately though it all boils down to money.  It would be a pay cut for me. Assuming the top end of the scale is £11.50-£12.00 ph I could just about get passed my wife.  But not the minimum wage training and £9.00 ish starting rate.

For me it's down to working with people, it's something I just can't tolerate! I don't think I'd last a day before kicking off with someone.

Even having to send emails at work I usually have to re-read through them and tone them down before sending!

Storx

06 Jul 2021, 1:48 pm #19
Nice to see the usual lot are defending GNE at all costs as usual. The wage for GNE is absolutely crap especially those at a starter wage of £18,300 which is below the Living Wage of £18,525. Good on them for wanting more especially when they didn't get a wage increase in 2020. In context Stagecoach have jobs available at £9.91/hour which works out at £19,066.84 a year rising to £22876.36 after 5 years.

There's no excuse not paying above the living wage.
Storx
06 Jul 2021, 1:48 pm #19

Nice to see the usual lot are defending GNE at all costs as usual. The wage for GNE is absolutely crap especially those at a starter wage of £18,300 which is below the Living Wage of £18,525. Good on them for wanting more especially when they didn't get a wage increase in 2020. In context Stagecoach have jobs available at £9.91/hour which works out at £19,066.84 a year rising to £22876.36 after 5 years.

GNE6312

06 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm #20
(06 Jul 2021, 1:48 pm)Storx Nice to see the usual lot are defending GNE at all costs as usual. The wage for GNE is absolutely crap especially those at a starter wage of £18,300 which is below the Living Wage of £18,525. Good on them for wanting more especially when they didn't get a wage increase in 2020.  In context Stagecoach have jobs available at £9.91/hour which works out at £19,066.84 a year rising to £22876.36 after 5 years.

That's shocking. GNE should be held accountable for that. If they have enough money to pointlessly repaint & rebrand buses then they have enough to pay staff. Besides stagecoach have no brands and most their buses are bog standard yet they still get passengers. Arriva have a relatively old fleet with few liveries (only MAX, the 2 Sapphire liveries & their 3 corporate liveries) yet they get alot of passengers so they can't say branding brings passengers. Not to mention they could have saved the money to pay staff by not replacing the 15 plate buses on the red kite last year.
GNE6312
06 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm #20

(06 Jul 2021, 1:48 pm)Storx Nice to see the usual lot are defending GNE at all costs as usual. The wage for GNE is absolutely crap especially those at a starter wage of £18,300 which is below the Living Wage of £18,525. Good on them for wanting more especially when they didn't get a wage increase in 2020.  In context Stagecoach have jobs available at £9.91/hour which works out at £19,066.84 a year rising to £22876.36 after 5 years.

That's shocking. GNE should be held accountable for that. If they have enough money to pointlessly repaint & rebrand buses then they have enough to pay staff. Besides stagecoach have no brands and most their buses are bog standard yet they still get passengers. Arriva have a relatively old fleet with few liveries (only MAX, the 2 Sapphire liveries & their 3 corporate liveries) yet they get alot of passengers so they can't say branding brings passengers. Not to mention they could have saved the money to pay staff by not replacing the 15 plate buses on the red kite last year.

Pages (7): 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average