Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (29): Previous 14 5 629 Next
Andreos1

09 Dec 2020, 5:10 pm #81
(09 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm)tvd Some of the negatives of bus travel even now are that the bus doesn’t go to where people want to go, they’re too infrequent, don’t run on an evening or on a Sunday, have to change buses.. and so on.

If it ever came to be that millions of people couldn’t afford cars, without huge and expensive  changes, many people wouldn’t be able to travel to work, particularly in lower paid jobs.

In those circumstances it would be virtually impossible to connect all local towns and villages in any local area with a realistically good enough bus  service. 

For most parts of the country I would guess a comprehensive local demand responsive transport network would have to be in place, like a bigger and better version of  our Tees Flex.

I agree that a demand responsive could be an option, although I don't know if an entire network across a wider scale could be sustainable. 

I do think the current network and resource could be used more effectively and efficiently though. 
Using Lanchester as an example - X5/15 follow the same route, bar a short section nearer Consett. Could one divert up to serve Witton Gilbert, Sacriston and the Arnison? All of a sudden the market in the Lanchester area is opened up to a retail park and however number of cars are potentially taken off the road.

The 21, X21 and 50 all operate between Chester and Durham and essentially serve the same audience. You've then got the X20 dropping in half-way along and that pattern continues all the way to Durham.
Appreciate that's a small section of 4 routes, but do they really need that sort of intensity following a similar route between Chester/Plawsworth and Durham? Particularly when the X12, 62 and 64 are in the mix too. 
Then the operators complain about the traffic. Is it any wonder there's traffic, when you can't get a bus unless you live on a very small corridor? 

There's many other examples which could be used.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Dec 2020, 5:10 pm #81

(09 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm)tvd Some of the negatives of bus travel even now are that the bus doesn’t go to where people want to go, they’re too infrequent, don’t run on an evening or on a Sunday, have to change buses.. and so on.

If it ever came to be that millions of people couldn’t afford cars, without huge and expensive  changes, many people wouldn’t be able to travel to work, particularly in lower paid jobs.

In those circumstances it would be virtually impossible to connect all local towns and villages in any local area with a realistically good enough bus  service. 

For most parts of the country I would guess a comprehensive local demand responsive transport network would have to be in place, like a bigger and better version of  our Tees Flex.

I agree that a demand responsive could be an option, although I don't know if an entire network across a wider scale could be sustainable. 

I do think the current network and resource could be used more effectively and efficiently though. 
Using Lanchester as an example - X5/15 follow the same route, bar a short section nearer Consett. Could one divert up to serve Witton Gilbert, Sacriston and the Arnison? All of a sudden the market in the Lanchester area is opened up to a retail park and however number of cars are potentially taken off the road.

The 21, X21 and 50 all operate between Chester and Durham and essentially serve the same audience. You've then got the X20 dropping in half-way along and that pattern continues all the way to Durham.
Appreciate that's a small section of 4 routes, but do they really need that sort of intensity following a similar route between Chester/Plawsworth and Durham? Particularly when the X12, 62 and 64 are in the mix too. 
Then the operators complain about the traffic. Is it any wonder there's traffic, when you can't get a bus unless you live on a very small corridor? 

There's many other examples which could be used.

Andreos1

13 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm #82
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/public-tr...2706307137 

Free online event relating to poor bus provision, privatisation and poverty. Might see you there!

Andreos1
13 Jan 2021, 7:14 pm #82

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/public-tr...2706307137 

Free online event relating to poor bus provision, privatisation and poverty. Might see you there!

Andreos1

29 Jan 2021, 11:01 am #83
I was looking for some inspiration relating to some work I'm doing at the moment. 

Came across this 
.jpg
Screenshot_20210129_105559_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 531.48 KB / Downloads: 62
quote from Eric Ries and couldn't help but smile. 
So true.

Andreos1
29 Jan 2021, 11:01 am #83

I was looking for some inspiration relating to some work I'm doing at the moment. 

Came across this 

.jpg
Screenshot_20210129_105559_com.android.chrome.jpg
Size: 531.48 KB / Downloads: 62
quote from Eric Ries and couldn't help but smile. 
So true.

Andreos1

25 Feb 2021, 2:52 pm #84
https://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/191...ling-city/

Private bus firms failing city.

Andreos1
25 Feb 2021, 2:52 pm #84

https://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/191...ling-city/

Private bus firms failing city.

Andreos1

11 Apr 2021, 11:30 am #85
https://takeaction.cpre.org.uk/page/7425...CountryTD2&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Banner2SharingBCountry&utm_campaign=TD2&fbclid=IwAR1FslWfqMH12Y8svTRtOXOpE1ZbyhoLDa-xOknKccMGJHZqegnuTM8s4mk

An interesting petition being undertaken.
Whilst I agree with the principle of it, I'm not sure that it is anyone's responsibility to fund - other than the operators (under current legislation).

Andreos1
11 Apr 2021, 11:30 am #85

https://takeaction.cpre.org.uk/page/7425...CountryTD2&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Banner2SharingBCountry&utm_campaign=TD2&fbclid=IwAR1FslWfqMH12Y8svTRtOXOpE1ZbyhoLDa-xOknKccMGJHZqegnuTM8s4mk

An interesting petition being undertaken.
Whilst I agree with the principle of it, I'm not sure that it is anyone's responsibility to fund - other than the operators (under current legislation).

Andreos1

19 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm #86
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/...ing-rights

When the UN state that privatisation is failing passengers, you know there's something up.

Will try and find the full report.

Andreos1
19 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm #86

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/...ing-rights

When the UN state that privatisation is failing passengers, you know there's something up.

Andreos1

24 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm #87
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...bus-costs/

'but, but, but... Priority measures! We need priority measures!'.

Which bus operator will bleat about the increase in traffic around St Leonards first?

Andreos1
24 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm #87

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...bus-costs/

Which bus operator will bleat about the increase in traffic around St Leonards first?

DeltaMan

24 Jul 2021, 5:27 pm #88
(19 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm)Andreos1 https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/...ing-rights

It wasn't the UN though was it?
DeltaMan
24 Jul 2021, 5:27 pm #88

(19 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm)Andreos1 https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/...ing-rights

It wasn't the UN though was it?

Andreos1

24 Jul 2021, 5:38 pm #89
(24 Jul 2021, 5:27 pm)DeltaMan It wasn't the UN though was it?

Oh well spotted. I obviously didn't proof read that one!

Andreos1
24 Jul 2021, 5:38 pm #89

(24 Jul 2021, 5:27 pm)DeltaMan It wasn't the UN though was it?

Oh well spotted. I obviously didn't proof read that one!

BusLoverMum

24 Jul 2021, 6:16 pm #90
(24 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm)Andreos1 https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...bus-costs/

I often wonder why they have stagecoach buses on some of their runs. Can't be the cheapest, surely.
BusLoverMum
24 Jul 2021, 6:16 pm #90

(24 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm)Andreos1 https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...bus-costs/

I often wonder why they have stagecoach buses on some of their runs. Can't be the cheapest, surely.

Ambassador

29 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm #91
Are links to business parks really that key anymore? The vast majority of employers aren’t going back full time, even in a post COVID world.

You can see why a bus company (business) would go after a growing leisure market versus a dwindling employment centre market.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
29 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm #91

Are links to business parks really that key anymore? The vast majority of employers aren’t going back full time, even in a post COVID world.

You can see why a bus company (business) would go after a growing leisure market versus a dwindling employment centre market.

Storx

29 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm #92
(29 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm)Ambassador Are links to business parks really that key anymore? The vast majority of employers aren’t going back full time, even in a post COVID world.

You can see why a bus company (business) would go after a growing leisure market versus a dwindling employment  centre market.

No money in leisure though really, your commuters are the money makers who have season passes etc. Some pensioners and kids going to the supermarket and cinema occasionally won't keep bus routes going. I'm guessing it's why we're seeing more of flexi tickets etc as they know without any commuters they're finished. Business parks are definitely still important imo.

Not to mention the chain effect of, well I drive to work, I might aswell drive to the cinema.
Storx
29 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm #92

(29 Jul 2021, 9:58 pm)Ambassador Are links to business parks really that key anymore? The vast majority of employers aren’t going back full time, even in a post COVID world.

You can see why a bus company (business) would go after a growing leisure market versus a dwindling employment  centre market.

No money in leisure though really, your commuters are the money makers who have season passes etc. Some pensioners and kids going to the supermarket and cinema occasionally won't keep bus routes going. I'm guessing it's why we're seeing more of flexi tickets etc as they know without any commuters they're finished. Business parks are definitely still important imo.

Not to mention the chain effect of, well I drive to work, I might aswell drive to the cinema.

Ambassador

29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm #93
(29 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm)Storx No money in leisure though really, your commuters are the money makers who have season passes etc. Some pensioners and kids going to the supermarket and cinema occasionally won't keep bus routes going. I'm guessing it's why we're seeing more of flexi tickets etc as they know without any commuters they're finished. Business parks are definitely still important imo.

that market is dwindling though. Your base remains working class and lower middles who don’t or can’t drive to get to work and that doesn’t change or grow.

The commercial success of the £1 fares and Seasider/Toon Tour shows the leisure opportunity is there, how long the post staycation boom lasts is another but as football restarts if you can tempt a few thousand Newcastle fans onto your bus for a quid, there’s profit to be had

Ambassador
29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm #93

(29 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm)Storx No money in leisure though really, your commuters are the money makers who have season passes etc. Some pensioners and kids going to the supermarket and cinema occasionally won't keep bus routes going. I'm guessing it's why we're seeing more of flexi tickets etc as they know without any commuters they're finished. Business parks are definitely still important imo.

that market is dwindling though. Your base remains working class and lower middles who don’t or can’t drive to get to work and that doesn’t change or grow.

The commercial success of the £1 fares and Seasider/Toon Tour shows the leisure opportunity is there, how long the post staycation boom lasts is another but as football restarts if you can tempt a few thousand Newcastle fans onto your bus for a quid, there’s profit to be had

Adrian

29 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm #94
(29 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm)streetdeckfan Has the 21 extension been confirmed?
Thought it was deemed as inevitable, as it was announced donkeys ago before being put on hold. Of course that could have all changed and the demand deemed to have disappeared, but it would be a mistake imo, given Arriva have recently reduced their service there.

I think its an interesting point, and it ultimately depends on what types of plots are available. I think we're going to end up with a lot of surplus office space around the Country, but there's other opportunities on business parks with industrial or mixed use, e.g. Follingsby and Integra61.

Durham County Council still have redevelopment plans for Aykley Heads into office space, but I cannot see them getting the tennants for them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm #94

(29 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm)streetdeckfan Has the 21 extension been confirmed?
Thought it was deemed as inevitable, as it was announced donkeys ago before being put on hold. Of course that could have all changed and the demand deemed to have disappeared, but it would be a mistake imo, given Arriva have recently reduced their service there.

I think its an interesting point, and it ultimately depends on what types of plots are available. I think we're going to end up with a lot of surplus office space around the Country, but there's other opportunities on business parks with industrial or mixed use, e.g. Follingsby and Integra61.

Durham County Council still have redevelopment plans for Aykley Heads into office space, but I cannot see them getting the tennants for them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

29 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm #95
(29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm)Ambassador that market is dwindling though. Your base remains working class and lower middles who don’t or can’t drive to get to work and that doesn’t change or grow.

I know what your saying but surely those will still need to get to work at the call centre etc which usually would be at the business parks and you'll always have stuff like Amazon etc which amazingly you can't actually get any public transport to in the case of the one at Durham but that's a different subject altogether.

Remember there's only 19 football games a season though so it doesn't help for the other 344'ish days (with Christmas etc). Honestly I'm not sure what the balance is tbh, just not 12 buses or whatever it is to Cobalt at peak times which is overkill.

Mind I do think in the next year so we will see a lot of businesses moving around to new places which are smaller if they're working from home - why rent an office with 2,000 desks when you have 200 people working there. After then it'll be easier to tell whether the business parks need all the services.
Storx
29 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm #95

(29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm)Ambassador that market is dwindling though. Your base remains working class and lower middles who don’t or can’t drive to get to work and that doesn’t change or grow.

I know what your saying but surely those will still need to get to work at the call centre etc which usually would be at the business parks and you'll always have stuff like Amazon etc which amazingly you can't actually get any public transport to in the case of the one at Durham but that's a different subject altogether.

Remember there's only 19 football games a season though so it doesn't help for the other 344'ish days (with Christmas etc). Honestly I'm not sure what the balance is tbh, just not 12 buses or whatever it is to Cobalt at peak times which is overkill.

Mind I do think in the next year so we will see a lot of businesses moving around to new places which are smaller if they're working from home - why rent an office with 2,000 desks when you have 200 people working there. After then it'll be easier to tell whether the business parks need all the services.

mb134

29 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm #96
(29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm)Ambassador The commercial success of the £1 fares and Seasider/Toon Tour shows the leisure opportunity is there, how long the post staycation boom lasts is another but as football restarts if you can tempt a few thousand Newcastle fans onto your bus for a quid, there’s profit to be had

For a while, even before Covid, I've thought of the leisure market being the main area for growth.

For commuting, there's realistically only ever going to be a specific pool of people who you're appealing to. Unless you live on a direct route, cannot drive, have issues with parking, or would need to plough through heavy traffic, chances are most folk will drive to work. 

On top of this, you have the income from leisure that can really make the difference. Just about everyone I know considers using the bus for a night out in Newcastle, or to get to the match on a Saturday, or for shopping in town. Lots of these people, family members included, only do so because of the promotions when their routes were upgraded a few years back and they were made aware of the reasonable fares and late journeys. Out of those people, every single one of them uses a car for their daily commute. It's clear they will never change how they commute, in many instances it just isn't feasible, but it is clear that the correct marketing can easily get car users onto the bus for leisure.
mb134
29 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm #96

(29 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm)Ambassador The commercial success of the £1 fares and Seasider/Toon Tour shows the leisure opportunity is there, how long the post staycation boom lasts is another but as football restarts if you can tempt a few thousand Newcastle fans onto your bus for a quid, there’s profit to be had

For a while, even before Covid, I've thought of the leisure market being the main area for growth.

For commuting, there's realistically only ever going to be a specific pool of people who you're appealing to. Unless you live on a direct route, cannot drive, have issues with parking, or would need to plough through heavy traffic, chances are most folk will drive to work. 

On top of this, you have the income from leisure that can really make the difference. Just about everyone I know considers using the bus for a night out in Newcastle, or to get to the match on a Saturday, or for shopping in town. Lots of these people, family members included, only do so because of the promotions when their routes were upgraded a few years back and they were made aware of the reasonable fares and late journeys. Out of those people, every single one of them uses a car for their daily commute. It's clear they will never change how they commute, in many instances it just isn't feasible, but it is clear that the correct marketing can easily get car users onto the bus for leisure.

30 Jul 2021, 12:57 am #97
(29 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm)mb134 For a while, even before Covid, I've thought of the leisure market being the main area for growth.

I'd say they tend to focus on the commuters because of the consistent revenue, they're almost guaranteed a certain level of income from sales of corporate, monthly, and to some extent weekly tickets. From a company's perspective it's better to have a lower amount of consistent revenue than a higher but less consistent amount. If there's a month of bad weather then revenue is going to be considerably lower than if the weather was nice.

Having said that, it is very important to cater to the leisure crowd as well. In terms of pricing, it's hard to strike a balance. They need the pricing to be high enough to cover costs but not too high to scare people away. And with their regular single and return tickets I think they're pretty close to the high end of what they can charge (I still think day and week tickets are reasonable). MG said in his FB live that they'd seen a 100% increase in evening passengers and a 25% increase in revenue, indicating that pricing a pretty major factor when it comes to leisure customers.

They'd also rather have a bus with 50 passengers paying £1 than 10 passengers paying £5. If one of those passengers paying £5 stops getting the bus, that's an instant 10% decrease in revenue which with the relatively small margins could turn a bus from being profitable to just breaking even.

Now, if only they could introduce a proper Sunday service!
streetdeckfan
30 Jul 2021, 12:57 am #97

(29 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm)mb134 For a while, even before Covid, I've thought of the leisure market being the main area for growth.

I'd say they tend to focus on the commuters because of the consistent revenue, they're almost guaranteed a certain level of income from sales of corporate, monthly, and to some extent weekly tickets. From a company's perspective it's better to have a lower amount of consistent revenue than a higher but less consistent amount. If there's a month of bad weather then revenue is going to be considerably lower than if the weather was nice.

Having said that, it is very important to cater to the leisure crowd as well. In terms of pricing, it's hard to strike a balance. They need the pricing to be high enough to cover costs but not too high to scare people away. And with their regular single and return tickets I think they're pretty close to the high end of what they can charge (I still think day and week tickets are reasonable). MG said in his FB live that they'd seen a 100% increase in evening passengers and a 25% increase in revenue, indicating that pricing a pretty major factor when it comes to leisure customers.

They'd also rather have a bus with 50 passengers paying £1 than 10 passengers paying £5. If one of those passengers paying £5 stops getting the bus, that's an instant 10% decrease in revenue which with the relatively small margins could turn a bus from being profitable to just breaking even.

Now, if only they could introduce a proper Sunday service!

Andreos1

30 Jul 2021, 8:52 am #98

To be fair, I'm not sure operators ever saw links to business parks as key.
Thousands of people travelling there by car and public transport was often limited.
It still is unfortunately.

Even if 50% of office users return back to full-time office working, there's still going to be a good number that could make the switch. On top of those who are using public transport out of necessity.

Commuters are the bread and butter imo. It's just a shame operators seem to think commuters only work in city centres and continue feeding the city centres with bus after bus coming down the same corridor. 

I agree that leisure users are important, but the vast majority come out to play at night or on a weekend.
They're the audience operators need to chase once the commuters have finished commuting.
I think we need to remember that leisure users aren't just about going to the pub or out for a meal either. They're wanting to go to the out of town retail parks. But they can't use public transport, because its pretty naff.
Retail World is traditionally jam packed with traffic - the very limited bus service then gets stuck in said traffic.
Dalton Park traditionally has queues in and out of the place on a weekend and has grown its food/cinema offering on top of the retail product.
The very limited bus service then gets stuck in said traffic.
Silverlink is the same.

Andreos1
30 Jul 2021, 8:52 am #98

To be fair, I'm not sure operators ever saw links to business parks as key.
Thousands of people travelling there by car and public transport was often limited.
It still is unfortunately.

Even if 50% of office users return back to full-time office working, there's still going to be a good number that could make the switch. On top of those who are using public transport out of necessity.

Commuters are the bread and butter imo. It's just a shame operators seem to think commuters only work in city centres and continue feeding the city centres with bus after bus coming down the same corridor. 

I agree that leisure users are important, but the vast majority come out to play at night or on a weekend.
They're the audience operators need to chase once the commuters have finished commuting.
I think we need to remember that leisure users aren't just about going to the pub or out for a meal either. They're wanting to go to the out of town retail parks. But they can't use public transport, because its pretty naff.
Retail World is traditionally jam packed with traffic - the very limited bus service then gets stuck in said traffic.
Dalton Park traditionally has queues in and out of the place on a weekend and has grown its food/cinema offering on top of the retail product.
The very limited bus service then gets stuck in said traffic.
Silverlink is the same.

MurdnunoC

30 Jul 2021, 9:17 am #99
(30 Jul 2021, 8:52 am)Andreos1 Even if 50% of office users return back to full-time office working, there's still going to be a good number that could make the switch. On top of those who are using public transport out of necessity.

Could, but probably won't. And if I was in that position, why would I? Why would anyone?
MurdnunoC
30 Jul 2021, 9:17 am #99

(30 Jul 2021, 8:52 am)Andreos1 Even if 50% of office users return back to full-time office working, there's still going to be a good number that could make the switch. On top of those who are using public transport out of necessity.

Could, but probably won't. And if I was in that position, why would I? Why would anyone?

Andreos1

30 Jul 2021, 9:24 am #100
(30 Jul 2021, 9:17 am)MurdnunoC Could, but probably won't. And if I was in that position, why would I? Why would anyone?

There could be a whole raft of reasons.
Of the top of my head - they could use the time to do work (like streetdeckfan), they could sleep, they could be thinking of the environment, they could be doing so for health reasons (that bus isn't going to drop them at the door after all), they could be doing it cos the other half needs the car, they could do it cos their car is in need of attention at the garage and all of a sudden the bus becomes a viable alternative, they could be sadomaschicists who enjoy the torture of public transport, they could be sick of the traffic and see that bus lane as a good idea...

Many, many reasons.

Andreos1
30 Jul 2021, 9:24 am #100

(30 Jul 2021, 9:17 am)MurdnunoC Could, but probably won't. And if I was in that position, why would I? Why would anyone?

There could be a whole raft of reasons.
Of the top of my head - they could use the time to do work (like streetdeckfan), they could sleep, they could be thinking of the environment, they could be doing so for health reasons (that bus isn't going to drop them at the door after all), they could be doing it cos the other half needs the car, they could do it cos their car is in need of attention at the garage and all of a sudden the bus becomes a viable alternative, they could be sadomaschicists who enjoy the torture of public transport, they could be sick of the traffic and see that bus lane as a good idea...

Many, many reasons.

Pages (29): Previous 14 5 629 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average