Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

Coronavirus and the public transport industry.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17): Previous 115 16 17 Next
16 Jul 2021, 10:38 pm #301
(16 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm)Ambassador Sensible, Stagecoach have shared a similar update.

I can't imagine the inevitable spike from 'Freedom Day' (jesus wept) will do anything to encourage people onto public transport.

I notice on Stagecoach's update it specifies all* seats can be used and passengers can stand - the * being there to exclude the seats next to the door... I'm sure there's a logical reason but wouldn't these be some of the best ventilated seats on the bus??
stagecoachbusdepot
16 Jul 2021, 10:38 pm #301

(16 Jul 2021, 3:07 pm)Ambassador Sensible, Stagecoach have shared a similar update.

I can't imagine the inevitable spike from 'Freedom Day' (jesus wept) will do anything to encourage people onto public transport.

I notice on Stagecoach's update it specifies all* seats can be used and passengers can stand - the * being there to exclude the seats next to the door... I'm sure there's a logical reason but wouldn't these be some of the best ventilated seats on the bus??

16 Jul 2021, 11:24 pm #302
(16 Jul 2021, 10:38 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I notice on Stagecoach's update it specifies all* seats can be used and passengers can stand - the * being there to exclude the seats next to the door... I'm sure there's a logical reason but wouldn't these be some of the best ventilated seats on the bus??

The seats next to the door are the best seats on the bus. Especially Streetlites as it's as far as you can physically get from the rattling door and bone shaking idle.

Presumably it's still down to the excuse of 'protecting drivers' even though they're already behind a screen
streetdeckfan
16 Jul 2021, 11:24 pm #302

(16 Jul 2021, 10:38 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I notice on Stagecoach's update it specifies all* seats can be used and passengers can stand - the * being there to exclude the seats next to the door... I'm sure there's a logical reason but wouldn't these be some of the best ventilated seats on the bus??

The seats next to the door are the best seats on the bus. Especially Streetlites as it's as far as you can physically get from the rattling door and bone shaking idle.

Presumably it's still down to the excuse of 'protecting drivers' even though they're already behind a screen

16 Jul 2021, 11:30 pm #303
(16 Jul 2021, 11:24 pm)streetdeckfan The seats next to the door are the best seats on the bus. Especially Streetlites as it's as far as you can physically get from the rattling door and bone shaking idle.

Already behind a screen, and apparently there is no need to distance any more..."We're pleased to tell you that you'll no longer need to keep your distance" - except from our drivers?!
stagecoachbusdepot
16 Jul 2021, 11:30 pm #303

(16 Jul 2021, 11:24 pm)streetdeckfan The seats next to the door are the best seats on the bus. Especially Streetlites as it's as far as you can physically get from the rattling door and bone shaking idle.

Already behind a screen, and apparently there is no need to distance any more..."We're pleased to tell you that you'll no longer need to keep your distance" - except from our drivers?!

17 Jul 2021, 1:28 am #304

Interesting we've been told at GNE all seats and standees will be permitted. Keeping the enhanced screens though.
deanmachine
17 Jul 2021, 1:28 am #304

Interesting we've been told at GNE all seats and standees will be permitted. Keeping the enhanced screens though.

Adrian

17 Jul 2021, 7:51 am #305
(17 Jul 2021, 1:28 am)deanmachine Interesting we've been told at GNE all seats and standees will be permitted. Keeping the enhanced screens though.

What's the enhanced screens? I assume the enhancement is more than sticky tape over the holes, but I cannot recall any other difference.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jul 2021, 7:51 am #305

(17 Jul 2021, 1:28 am)deanmachine Interesting we've been told at GNE all seats and standees will be permitted. Keeping the enhanced screens though.

What's the enhanced screens? I assume the enhancement is more than sticky tape over the holes, but I cannot recall any other difference.

Andreos1

17 Jul 2021, 8:20 am #306

A 55 passed me yesterday, displaying *bus full*, so guessing that rule hasn't been implemented yet.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Jul 2021, 8:20 am #306

A 55 passed me yesterday, displaying *bus full*, so guessing that rule hasn't been implemented yet.

17 Jul 2021, 9:17 am #307
(17 Jul 2021, 7:51 am)Adrian What's the enhanced screens? I assume the enhancement is more than sticky tape over the holes, but I cannot recall any other difference.

The 15, 16, and 17 plate Streetlites only had small screens in front of the driver, they've added extra over the ticket machines so customers can't peer over around them, a small extra screen on the Mercs too for the same reason. Some Solos had gaps between the screen and the back of the cab with a grab handle, they've been covered too. Probably other differences too.

(17 Jul 2021, 8:20 am)Andreos1 A 55 passed me yesterday, displaying *bus full*, so guessing that rule hasn't been implemented yet.

"Freedom Day" I think.
Edited 17 Jul 2021, 9:18 am by deanmachine.
deanmachine
17 Jul 2021, 9:17 am #307

(17 Jul 2021, 7:51 am)Adrian What's the enhanced screens? I assume the enhancement is more than sticky tape over the holes, but I cannot recall any other difference.

The 15, 16, and 17 plate Streetlites only had small screens in front of the driver, they've added extra over the ticket machines so customers can't peer over around them, a small extra screen on the Mercs too for the same reason. Some Solos had gaps between the screen and the back of the cab with a grab handle, they've been covered too. Probably other differences too.

(17 Jul 2021, 8:20 am)Andreos1 A 55 passed me yesterday, displaying *bus full*, so guessing that rule hasn't been implemented yet.

"Freedom Day" I think.

Andreos1

17 Jul 2021, 5:25 pm #308
(17 Jul 2021, 9:17 am)deanmachine The 15, 16, and 17 plate Streetlites only had small screens in front of the driver, they've added extra over the ticket machines so customers can't peer over around them, a small extra screen on the Mercs too for the same reason. Some Solos had gaps between the screen and the back of the cab with a grab handle, they've been covered too. Probably other differences too.

"Freedom Day" I think. 

Drivers protected, but passengers can do wtf they like or are subjected to.

Can remember someone complaining to the GNE fb page about someone on the 34 standing in the gangway, but having a sweaty balls issue.
Their face took the full whiff by all accounts.

Andreos1
17 Jul 2021, 5:25 pm #308

(17 Jul 2021, 9:17 am)deanmachine The 15, 16, and 17 plate Streetlites only had small screens in front of the driver, they've added extra over the ticket machines so customers can't peer over around them, a small extra screen on the Mercs too for the same reason. Some Solos had gaps between the screen and the back of the cab with a grab handle, they've been covered too. Probably other differences too.

"Freedom Day" I think. 

Drivers protected, but passengers can do wtf they like or are subjected to.

Can remember someone complaining to the GNE fb page about someone on the 34 standing in the gangway, but having a sweaty balls issue.

Michael

18 Jul 2021, 1:39 pm #309
(16 Jul 2021, 2:59 pm)Adrian Go North East have put out a post for July 19th onwards: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/face-cover...ay-19-july

I wonder if this this will end the dupe buses as it says:

Regulations requiring face coverings will be removed and government now “expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded areas such as public transport.

As a result, there will be no restrictions on capacity but we expect people to think of others and still wear a face covering on board, if they can, in line with government guidance.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Jul 2021, 1:39 pm #309

(16 Jul 2021, 2:59 pm)Adrian Go North East have put out a post for July 19th onwards: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/face-cover...ay-19-july

I wonder if this this will end the dupe buses as it says:

Regulations requiring face coverings will be removed and government now “expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded areas such as public transport.

As a result, there will be no restrictions on capacity but we expect people to think of others and still wear a face covering on board, if they can, in line with government guidance.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

18 Jul 2021, 6:38 pm #310
(17 Jul 2021, 5:25 pm)Andreos1 Drivers protected, but passengers can do wtf they like or are subjected to.

Nothing worse than being sat next to Betty Swollocks. 

Its difficult re staff vs passengers. I'm absolutely behind employers doing all they can to minimise risk to their workers, and I think GNE have probably been one of the better operators for that, but it really grinds on me when different - or lesser - restrictions are applied to customers. 

It never sat with me that you could be expected to sit next to another customer, yet the driver has a 2m buffer zone and a plastic screen around them. Like I say, I fully support the risk minimising and I think the 2m buffer and screen is really sensible, but its hardly a good sell to try and then convince your customers that what you're asking them to do is fine/safe.

Feels like being told to run into a burning building, because it's "safe" to do so, but then being told "you go first" Big Grin 

(18 Jul 2021, 1:39 pm)Michael I wonder if this this will end the dupe buses as it says:

"The Government now expects and recommends" almost feels like you're going to be put on the naughty step if you don't.

Adrian
18 Jul 2021, 6:38 pm #310

(17 Jul 2021, 5:25 pm)Andreos1 Drivers protected, but passengers can do wtf they like or are subjected to.

Nothing worse than being sat next to Betty Swollocks. 

Its difficult re staff vs passengers. I'm absolutely behind employers doing all they can to minimise risk to their workers, and I think GNE have probably been one of the better operators for that, but it really grinds on me when different - or lesser - restrictions are applied to customers. 

It never sat with me that you could be expected to sit next to another customer, yet the driver has a 2m buffer zone and a plastic screen around them. Like I say, I fully support the risk minimising and I think the 2m buffer and screen is really sensible, but its hardly a good sell to try and then convince your customers that what you're asking them to do is fine/safe.

Feels like being told to run into a burning building, because it's "safe" to do so, but then being told "you go first" Big Grin 

(18 Jul 2021, 1:39 pm)Michael I wonder if this this will end the dupe buses as it says:

"The Government now expects and recommends" almost feels like you're going to be put on the naughty step if you don't.

Charles41

18 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm #311
And the people of this country expect and recommend the government show clear leadership to get us back on our feet.

Hiding behind useless pieces of cloth and living in fear of being pinged by some app is no way to be going on.

I for one will not be wearing a mask tomorrow.

Charles
Charles41
18 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm #311

And the people of this country expect and recommend the government show clear leadership to get us back on our feet.

Hiding behind useless pieces of cloth and living in fear of being pinged by some app is no way to be going on.

Charles

18 Jul 2021, 7:00 pm #312
(18 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm)Charles41 And the people of this country expect and recommend the government show clear leadership to get us back on our feet.

Charles

I'll probably be wearing one if the bus is packed (if anything because the smell of Lidl's finest washing powder is nicer than the average bus user), but otherwise I won't bother.
streetdeckfan
18 Jul 2021, 7:00 pm #312

(18 Jul 2021, 6:46 pm)Charles41 And the people of this country expect and recommend the government show clear leadership to get us back on our feet.

Charles

I'll probably be wearing one if the bus is packed (if anything because the smell of Lidl's finest washing powder is nicer than the average bus user), but otherwise I won't bother.

Ambassador

19 Jul 2021, 1:00 pm #313

Charles

The Government haven't shown any leadership since they were elected hence we have dangerous mentalities on masks breeding in the country.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
19 Jul 2021, 1:00 pm #313

Charles

The Government haven't shown any leadership since they were elected hence we have dangerous mentalities on masks breeding in the country.

Ambassador

19 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm #314
I've interestingly just come off a regional working group of major employers in the regions representing my own HR function.

We came around to public transport and it was interesting. The takeaways from me from a public transport pov.

- Only 2 of the 70 organisations who attend/surveyed plan a full time return to the office, the rest will adapt hybrid policies - which makes Flex tickets seem a sensible option.

- Internal surveys showed that with face coverings/distancing being mandatory 40% of colleagues said they would travel on public transport.

- Without distancing/face coverings just 10% said they'd travel on public transport - there was particular concern over winter travel.

- Enquiries to car lease plans (particuarly electric) are up 150% on this time in 2019.

- Hybrid workers in the office 2 days a week were more likely to use commuting expense on ride sharing or private taxi companies over a bus. A number of companiees are reaching out to ride share apps to work out adding them to corporate benefit discounts.

- Bike to Work schemes are outstripping supply and most employers have waiting lists as suppliers struggle to meet demand

Ambassador
19 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm #314

I've interestingly just come off a regional working group of major employers in the regions representing my own HR function.

We came around to public transport and it was interesting. The takeaways from me from a public transport pov.

- Only 2 of the 70 organisations who attend/surveyed plan a full time return to the office, the rest will adapt hybrid policies - which makes Flex tickets seem a sensible option.

- Internal surveys showed that with face coverings/distancing being mandatory 40% of colleagues said they would travel on public transport.

- Without distancing/face coverings just 10% said they'd travel on public transport - there was particular concern over winter travel.

- Enquiries to car lease plans (particuarly electric) are up 150% on this time in 2019.

- Hybrid workers in the office 2 days a week were more likely to use commuting expense on ride sharing or private taxi companies over a bus. A number of companiees are reaching out to ride share apps to work out adding them to corporate benefit discounts.

- Bike to Work schemes are outstripping supply and most employers have waiting lists as suppliers struggle to meet demand

19 Jul 2021, 4:29 pm #315

Charles

The government of this country are worthless and have no leadership about them, you do what you want, it's your responsibility if anything happens, and the same goes for any other of the 52%.
54APhotography
19 Jul 2021, 4:29 pm #315

Charles

The government of this country are worthless and have no leadership about them, you do what you want, it's your responsibility if anything happens, and the same goes for any other of the 52%.

Adrian

19 Jul 2021, 6:59 pm #316
(19 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm)Ambassador I've interestingly just come off a regional working group of major employers in the regions representing my own HR function.

Some interesting points. I knew the car lease plan demands were high, as we're suffering with a significant lead time at the moment, but 150% is a real eyeopener.

To add to the theme of private car use, in a travel plan we drafted last Autumn, we found that a number of our employees had informally agreed car pooling arrangements in anticipation for a return to work, rather than using public transport.

Even the public sector seem to be giving real consideration to hybrid working patterns; of course as well as the benefit to staff, it also benefits the public body, as allows them to reduce their usually significant estates over the next couple of years, and the financial saving that brings. In addition to this, I know that a number of employers are also looking to formally extend away from the traditional 'office hours', allowing their staff to avoid peak public transport times. Of course that presents another problem, in that public transport is often designed to the benefit of the operator, not the public that use it.

Adrian
19 Jul 2021, 6:59 pm #316

(19 Jul 2021, 4:08 pm)Ambassador I've interestingly just come off a regional working group of major employers in the regions representing my own HR function.

Some interesting points. I knew the car lease plan demands were high, as we're suffering with a significant lead time at the moment, but 150% is a real eyeopener.

To add to the theme of private car use, in a travel plan we drafted last Autumn, we found that a number of our employees had informally agreed car pooling arrangements in anticipation for a return to work, rather than using public transport.

Even the public sector seem to be giving real consideration to hybrid working patterns; of course as well as the benefit to staff, it also benefits the public body, as allows them to reduce their usually significant estates over the next couple of years, and the financial saving that brings. In addition to this, I know that a number of employers are also looking to formally extend away from the traditional 'office hours', allowing their staff to avoid peak public transport times. Of course that presents another problem, in that public transport is often designed to the benefit of the operator, not the public that use it.

20 Jul 2021, 8:59 am #317
Bit of drama on the 10A with a woman shouting at the driver for asking her if she had a mask because the bus was full. 
Apparently he's not Boris Johnson so can't tell her what to do
streetdeckfan
20 Jul 2021, 8:59 am #317

Bit of drama on the 10A with a woman shouting at the driver for asking her if she had a mask because the bus was full. 

cbma06

20 Jul 2021, 9:53 am #318
(20 Jul 2021, 8:59 am)streetdeckfan Bit of drama on the 10A with a woman shouting at the driver for asking her if she had a mask because the bus was full. 

From yesterday it’s up to the passenger if there want to wear a mask, driver shouldn’t be asking the passenger as there should know that there would be given grief from the passenger and the bus companies are not enforcing it and never did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
20 Jul 2021, 9:53 am #318

(20 Jul 2021, 8:59 am)streetdeckfan Bit of drama on the 10A with a woman shouting at the driver for asking her if she had a mask because the bus was full. 

From yesterday it’s up to the passenger if there want to wear a mask, driver shouldn’t be asking the passenger as there should know that there would be given grief from the passenger and the bus companies are not enforcing it and never did

20 Jul 2021, 9:58 am #319
(20 Jul 2021, 9:53 am)cbma06 From yesterday it’s up to the passenger if there want to wear a mask, driver shouldn’t be asking the passenger as there should know that there would be given grief from the passenger and the bus companies are not enforcing it and never did

They've always asked if you had one, but never actually enforced it if you said no from my experience. I'd imagine they'll keep it that way

I think she was just looking for an argument to be fair, she was standing at the front of the bus shouting at him while he was driving.
streetdeckfan
20 Jul 2021, 9:58 am #319

(20 Jul 2021, 9:53 am)cbma06 From yesterday it’s up to the passenger if there want to wear a mask, driver shouldn’t be asking the passenger as there should know that there would be given grief from the passenger and the bus companies are not enforcing it and never did

They've always asked if you had one, but never actually enforced it if you said no from my experience. I'd imagine they'll keep it that way

I think she was just looking for an argument to be fair, she was standing at the front of the bus shouting at him while he was driving.

Adrian

20 Jul 2021, 11:11 am #320

I suppose it depends what instruction has been given to drivers, doesn't it? The guidance GNE put out for July 19th was very much 'on the fence', repeating the same nonsense from Number 10 about "expecting" people to wear face coverings, rather than being decisive in their instruction.  

(20 Jul 2021, 9:58 am)streetdeckfan They've always asked if you had one, but never actually enforced it if you said no from my experience. I'd imagine they'll keep it that way

Your experience sounds like it sadly sums up the mentality of some people that we share the country with, and lets not get on to Bill Gates, phone masts or anything else.  Rolleyes

Adrian
20 Jul 2021, 11:11 am #320

I suppose it depends what instruction has been given to drivers, doesn't it? The guidance GNE put out for July 19th was very much 'on the fence', repeating the same nonsense from Number 10 about "expecting" people to wear face coverings, rather than being decisive in their instruction.  

(20 Jul 2021, 9:58 am)streetdeckfan They've always asked if you had one, but never actually enforced it if you said no from my experience. I'd imagine they'll keep it that way

Your experience sounds like it sadly sums up the mentality of some people that we share the country with, and lets not get on to Bill Gates, phone masts or anything else.  Rolleyes

Pages (17): Previous 115 16 17 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average