Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva Darlington hit by criticism over drivers' hours and pay

Arriva Darlington hit by criticism over drivers' hours and pay

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

23 Jul 2021, 9:55 am #1

"A NORTH EAST bus company has been hit with criticism as concerns have been raised over hours and pay conditions at its depot in Darlington.
Arriva North East has been accused of "upping" weekly hours and changing driver rest days with "little" notice in a bid to make up for staff shortages due to Covid."

Full story: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...hours-pay/

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 Jul 2021, 9:55 am #1

"A NORTH EAST bus company has been hit with criticism as concerns have been raised over hours and pay conditions at its depot in Darlington.
Arriva North East has been accused of "upping" weekly hours and changing driver rest days with "little" notice in a bid to make up for staff shortages due to Covid."

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

V514DFT

23 Jul 2021, 10:43 am #2
So thats Arriva and GNE now?,wonder how long it'll be until the same happens to Stagecoach

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
23 Jul 2021, 10:43 am #2

So thats Arriva and GNE now?,wonder how long it'll be until the same happens to Stagecoach

Kind Regards
Tez

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm #3
(23 Jul 2021, 10:43 am)V514DFT So thats Arriva and GNE now?,wonder how long it'll be until the same happens to Stagecoach

I understand Stagecoach rejected their pay ballot at a similar time to Arriva rejecting theirs (before Go North East).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
23 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm #3

(23 Jul 2021, 10:43 am)V514DFT So thats Arriva and GNE now?,wonder how long it'll be until the same happens to Stagecoach

I understand Stagecoach rejected their pay ballot at a similar time to Arriva rejecting theirs (before Go North East).

23 Jul 2021, 7:26 pm #4
I recently got a 1% pay rise by leaving the useless Unite union, any other driver with half a brain should do the same.
Driver9***
23 Jul 2021, 7:26 pm #4

I recently got a 1% pay rise by leaving the useless Unite union, any other driver with half a brain should do the same.

V514DFT

23 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm #5
(23 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm)Dan I understand Stagecoach rejected their pay ballot at a similar time to Arriva rejecting theirs (before Go North East).

I get what your saying,and dont get me wrong i agree with drivers wanting a pay rise,especially with how theyve kept people moving through the pandemic,but at the same i feel like they should be grateful for still having jobs,and be happy with the wage they get (for now) until bus companies are somewhat back on their feet,we aint out the woods yet, but I dunno if thats just Irish thinking on my part Dan

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
23 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm #5

(23 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm)Dan I understand Stagecoach rejected their pay ballot at a similar time to Arriva rejecting theirs (before Go North East).

I get what your saying,and dont get me wrong i agree with drivers wanting a pay rise,especially with how theyve kept people moving through the pandemic,but at the same i feel like they should be grateful for still having jobs,and be happy with the wage they get (for now) until bus companies are somewhat back on their feet,we aint out the woods yet, but I dunno if thats just Irish thinking on my part Dan

Kind Regards
Tez

mb134

23 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm #6
(23 Jul 2021, 9:55 am)Adrian Arriva Darlington hit by criticism over drivers' hours and pay

This one doesn't baffles me a little bit. There's a couple of points that seem a bit bizarre:
  •  "One worker, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that drivers were only informed of a new emergency rota, effective from this Sunday, earlier this week on Monday." - Not being funny, but an emergency rota sort of implies that it needs to be implemented quickly. That's also still a weeks notice, not great, but given the current circumstances surely nothing to run to the papers over. 
  • "The Northern Echo understands that drivers at its Faverdale depot have seen shifts lengthened beyond their usual contracted hours, and in some cases without staff knowing." - So, either a rota has been implemented with a weeks notice, or not. How exactly can shifts be lengthened without the workers knowing? I'm obviously not sure on the specifics of the contracts the drivers are on, but given they're limited by law to how much they can drive I don't imagine the shifts will be able to be lengthened too much. Additionally, unless there's a specific clause in the contract stating weekly hours must not exceed "x" then again I don't see a huge problem - and if that clause exists then the place to go is a law firm not the Northern Echo. 

I appreciate that short notice changes to work aren't great, I've dealt with them myself over the course of the pandemic, but some of these complaints don't quite add up. I don't think the Northern Echo has done a great job of articulating the complaints particularly well either, mind.
mb134
23 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm #6

(23 Jul 2021, 9:55 am)Adrian Arriva Darlington hit by criticism over drivers' hours and pay

This one doesn't baffles me a little bit. There's a couple of points that seem a bit bizarre:
  •  "One worker, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that drivers were only informed of a new emergency rota, effective from this Sunday, earlier this week on Monday." - Not being funny, but an emergency rota sort of implies that it needs to be implemented quickly. That's also still a weeks notice, not great, but given the current circumstances surely nothing to run to the papers over. 
  • "The Northern Echo understands that drivers at its Faverdale depot have seen shifts lengthened beyond their usual contracted hours, and in some cases without staff knowing." - So, either a rota has been implemented with a weeks notice, or not. How exactly can shifts be lengthened without the workers knowing? I'm obviously not sure on the specifics of the contracts the drivers are on, but given they're limited by law to how much they can drive I don't imagine the shifts will be able to be lengthened too much. Additionally, unless there's a specific clause in the contract stating weekly hours must not exceed "x" then again I don't see a huge problem - and if that clause exists then the place to go is a law firm not the Northern Echo. 

I appreciate that short notice changes to work aren't great, I've dealt with them myself over the course of the pandemic, but some of these complaints don't quite add up. I don't think the Northern Echo has done a great job of articulating the complaints particularly well either, mind.

24 Jul 2021, 3:23 am #7
(23 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm)mb134 This one doesn't baffles me a little bit. There's a couple of points that seem a bit bizarre:

As usual, the people that go to the papers are after nothing more than attention. I'm surprised they wanted to remain anonymous and didn't have their picture taken outside of the depot!

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just reporting on rumours they read on Facebook
streetdeckfan
24 Jul 2021, 3:23 am #7

(23 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm)mb134 This one doesn't baffles me a little bit. There's a couple of points that seem a bit bizarre:

As usual, the people that go to the papers are after nothing more than attention. I'm surprised they wanted to remain anonymous and didn't have their picture taken outside of the depot!

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just reporting on rumours they read on Facebook

DeltaMan

24 Jul 2021, 6:19 am #8
In my time I've not seen a single Labour Agreement which doesn't have provision for emergency schedules to some degree, so long as some notice is given. It's not great, but as Covid has shown, sometimes you do need to implement schedules at short notice

With regards contracted hours. It"d be interesting to know if drivers are unhappy they are working between the gaurantueed minimum contracted hours and maximum hours, or if they are rostered beyond maximum hours.
DeltaMan
24 Jul 2021, 6:19 am #8

In my time I've not seen a single Labour Agreement which doesn't have provision for emergency schedules to some degree, so long as some notice is given. It's not great, but as Covid has shown, sometimes you do need to implement schedules at short notice

With regards contracted hours. It"d be interesting to know if drivers are unhappy they are working between the gaurantueed minimum contracted hours and maximum hours, or if they are rostered beyond maximum hours.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average