Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Face Coverings on Buses

Face Coverings on Buses

Face Coverings on Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
big mac

07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm #1
Today was the first time since face coverings were no longer a legal requirement that I have been out and about on buses.

I was quite surprised to find that on the several journeys I was on, each time the majority of passengers on the bus were not wearing a mask or face covering. It was surprising given the push from GNE to still wear one even if it's not law.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory. Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm #1

Today was the first time since face coverings were no longer a legal requirement that I have been out and about on buses.

I was quite surprised to find that on the several journeys I was on, each time the majority of passengers on the bus were not wearing a mask or face covering. It was surprising given the push from GNE to still wear one even if it's not law.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory. Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

07 Sep 2021, 6:27 pm #2
(07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm)big mac Today was the first time since face coverings were no longer a legal requirement that I have been out and about on buses.

I was quite surprised to find that on the several journeys I was on, each time the majority of passengers on the bus were not wearing a mask or face covering.  It was surprising given the push from GNE to still wear one even if it's not law.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory.  Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

For the first month or so basically everyone still wore a mask, but gradually less and less people have been wearing them.

To be honest, I said I'd wear a one when it got busy but I haven't been!
streetdeckfan
07 Sep 2021, 6:27 pm #2

(07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm)big mac Today was the first time since face coverings were no longer a legal requirement that I have been out and about on buses.

I was quite surprised to find that on the several journeys I was on, each time the majority of passengers on the bus were not wearing a mask or face covering.  It was surprising given the push from GNE to still wear one even if it's not law.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory.  Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

For the first month or so basically everyone still wore a mask, but gradually less and less people have been wearing them.

To be honest, I said I'd wear a one when it got busy but I haven't been!

ne14ne1

07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm #3
Disappointing to hear. This is exactly the reason why some of my family members and colleagues are continuing to avoid public transport.
ne14ne1
07 Sep 2021, 8:00 pm #3

Disappointing to hear. This is exactly the reason why some of my family members and colleagues are continuing to avoid public transport.

mb134

07 Sep 2021, 8:09 pm #4
(07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm)big mac I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory.  Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

While I personally try to (making exceptions only if I'm upstairs and it's empty, or my hayfever tablets haven't kicked in and I've ruined the mask without a spare), I have noticed that the overwhelming majority of folk aren't using them now. In my experience most older folks tend to, as do people who I'd say are roughly 20-30, but outside of that there's very few folk still complying - teenagers/middle aged you can forget about it.
mb134
07 Sep 2021, 8:09 pm #4

(07 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm)big mac I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been when travelling on buses since face coverings become not mandatory.  Is it now the norm for the majority of passengers to not bother with it?

While I personally try to (making exceptions only if I'm upstairs and it's empty, or my hayfever tablets haven't kicked in and I've ruined the mask without a spare), I have noticed that the overwhelming majority of folk aren't using them now. In my experience most older folks tend to, as do people who I'd say are roughly 20-30, but outside of that there's very few folk still complying - teenagers/middle aged you can forget about it.

ne14ne1

07 Sep 2021, 8:24 pm #5
They’ll be quick to whinge if we end up with this fire breaker lockdown in October.
ne14ne1
07 Sep 2021, 8:24 pm #5

They’ll be quick to whinge if we end up with this fire breaker lockdown in October.

Ambassador

07 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm #6
I’ve only used the bus to get to and from the match and absolutely nobody has been wearing one though this is the casual crowd as opposed to regular users.

It was about unnerving at first but I’m stood in a pub with a few hundred people with no mask

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
07 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm #6

I’ve only used the bus to get to and from the match and absolutely nobody has been wearing one though this is the casual crowd as opposed to regular users.

It was about unnerving at first but I’m stood in a pub with a few hundred people with no mask

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #7
(07 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm)Ambassador I’ve only used the bus to get to and from the match and absolutely nobody has been wearing one though this is the casual crowd as opposed to regular users.

I’m with you. Whilst unnerving at first, I find mask compliance is vastly reduced everywhere now (shops, bars, restaurants) and arguably is becoming the norm not to wear one again. It was always going to happen when it became optional (or recommended) and not mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
07 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #7

(07 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm)Ambassador I’ve only used the bus to get to and from the match and absolutely nobody has been wearing one though this is the casual crowd as opposed to regular users.

I’m with you. Whilst unnerving at first, I find mask compliance is vastly reduced everywhere now (shops, bars, restaurants) and arguably is becoming the norm not to wear one again. It was always going to happen when it became optional (or recommended) and not mandatory.

big mac

07 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm #8
(07 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm)Dan I’m with you. Whilst unnerving at first, I find mask compliance is vastly reduced everywhere now (shops, bars, restaurants) and arguably is becoming the norm not to wear one again. It was always going to happen when it became optional (or recommended) and not mandatory.

Even though in general mask compliance has definitely massively reduced, I still was genuinely taken aback by the sheer extent that it had reduced on buses, given that public transport is often mentioned as one of the main areas where it still should be done.

big mac
07 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm #8

(07 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm)Dan I’m with you. Whilst unnerving at first, I find mask compliance is vastly reduced everywhere now (shops, bars, restaurants) and arguably is becoming the norm not to wear one again. It was always going to happen when it became optional (or recommended) and not mandatory.

Even though in general mask compliance has definitely massively reduced, I still was genuinely taken aback by the sheer extent that it had reduced on buses, given that public transport is often mentioned as one of the main areas where it still should be done.

07 Sep 2021, 9:42 pm #9
(07 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm)big mac Even though in general mask compliance has definitely massively reduced, I still was genuinely taken aback by the sheer extent that it had reduced on buses, given that public transport is often mentioned as one of the main areas where it still should be done. 

Given that the current death rate of people testing positive is less than 0.5% (and in reality, a lot lower than that due to asymptomatic and unreported cases), and the fact that I test myself regularly, I feel confident that A: when I go out I don't have it, and B: if I do get it, I'll be fine.

I don't know the exact stats, but from the top of my head I believe that the accuracy of a lateral flow test is higher than, or at least equivalent to, the efficacy of mask in reducing the spread of the virus (feel free to fact check that, I may be wrong). So if, as we're told, masks protect others, and I've tested negative, what is the issue with me not wearing one?

Obviously, it comes down to personal choice and a person's evaluation of the risks.

As a side note, I don't know if anyone else has noticed the same, but when masks became mandatory social distancing in places like supermarkets basically stopped. To me, a mask gives a greater illusion of safety than it does actually provide.
streetdeckfan
07 Sep 2021, 9:42 pm #9

(07 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm)big mac Even though in general mask compliance has definitely massively reduced, I still was genuinely taken aback by the sheer extent that it had reduced on buses, given that public transport is often mentioned as one of the main areas where it still should be done. 

Given that the current death rate of people testing positive is less than 0.5% (and in reality, a lot lower than that due to asymptomatic and unreported cases), and the fact that I test myself regularly, I feel confident that A: when I go out I don't have it, and B: if I do get it, I'll be fine.

I don't know the exact stats, but from the top of my head I believe that the accuracy of a lateral flow test is higher than, or at least equivalent to, the efficacy of mask in reducing the spread of the virus (feel free to fact check that, I may be wrong). So if, as we're told, masks protect others, and I've tested negative, what is the issue with me not wearing one?

Obviously, it comes down to personal choice and a person's evaluation of the risks.

As a side note, I don't know if anyone else has noticed the same, but when masks became mandatory social distancing in places like supermarkets basically stopped. To me, a mask gives a greater illusion of safety than it does actually provide.

Adrian

07 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm #10
Most people when I've been out aren't bothering now. I only do if people start to board the bus or I cannot keep away from others, e.g. by sitting upstairs, but the majority of buses I use haven't been that busy. I have to admit, it doesn't annoy me as it once did, and certainly vaccination has give me more peace of mind. Along with regular lateral flow testing through work.

Aside from buses, I don't bother at all in supermarkets and shops now, mainly because I can still keep a good distance away from everyone else. I was for the first few weeks of it being optional, but I find more and more people aren't now. The supermarket messaging especially has been very much 'for the protection of our staff', but when the vast majority aren't reciprocating the arrangement, you can see why the customers aren't bothering.

The UK case data over the next week or two will be interesting. Although it feels its rarely mentioned now, we've still gone up over 10k on the 7 day case average during August, and that is with one of the major factors being absent - education.

We're probably too far down the road of pissing into the wind to change now though.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm #10

Most people when I've been out aren't bothering now. I only do if people start to board the bus or I cannot keep away from others, e.g. by sitting upstairs, but the majority of buses I use haven't been that busy. I have to admit, it doesn't annoy me as it once did, and certainly vaccination has give me more peace of mind. Along with regular lateral flow testing through work.

Aside from buses, I don't bother at all in supermarkets and shops now, mainly because I can still keep a good distance away from everyone else. I was for the first few weeks of it being optional, but I find more and more people aren't now. The supermarket messaging especially has been very much 'for the protection of our staff', but when the vast majority aren't reciprocating the arrangement, you can see why the customers aren't bothering.

The UK case data over the next week or two will be interesting. Although it feels its rarely mentioned now, we've still gone up over 10k on the 7 day case average during August, and that is with one of the major factors being absent - education.

We're probably too far down the road of pissing into the wind to change now though.

07 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm #11
(07 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm)Adrian Most people when I've been out aren't bothering now. I only do if people start to board the bus or I cannot keep away from others, e.g. by sitting upstairs, but the majority of buses I use haven't been that busy. I have to admit, it doesn't annoy me as it once did, and certainly vaccination has give me more peace of mind. Along with regular lateral flow testing through work.

I think it's due to the fact that the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths is nowhere near what it once was. If an extra 10k deaths results in an extra 10 deaths a day (insert the obligatory every death is sad statement here), is it really worth bashing on about it? 

At the end of the day, lockdowns were only there to 'protect the NHS'. And, assuming things scale linearly, even if we double the number of cases, we would only be at half the number of hospitalisations that there were in December/January (obviously there would be other implications with double the number of cases, like increased risk of spreading etc.)

It's going to be interesting to see the data coming in from Scotland with regards to the link between cases, hospitalisations, and deaths following the return to school.

Obviously with the re-introduction of mass testing there is going to be an uptick in positive results, but seeing how that translates into higher hospitalisations will be interesting considering it looks like (to my untrained eye) the cases started to increase around a week before the schools went back, with both cases and hospitalisations increasing on the same date (13th August). In the past there has usually been a delay between the two. It's been a good few weeks and deaths have yet to really increase by any significant margin, but obviously analysing this kind of data isn't my speciality (and I've had a glass or few of Lidl's finest)
streetdeckfan
07 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm #11

(07 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm)Adrian Most people when I've been out aren't bothering now. I only do if people start to board the bus or I cannot keep away from others, e.g. by sitting upstairs, but the majority of buses I use haven't been that busy. I have to admit, it doesn't annoy me as it once did, and certainly vaccination has give me more peace of mind. Along with regular lateral flow testing through work.

I think it's due to the fact that the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths is nowhere near what it once was. If an extra 10k deaths results in an extra 10 deaths a day (insert the obligatory every death is sad statement here), is it really worth bashing on about it? 

At the end of the day, lockdowns were only there to 'protect the NHS'. And, assuming things scale linearly, even if we double the number of cases, we would only be at half the number of hospitalisations that there were in December/January (obviously there would be other implications with double the number of cases, like increased risk of spreading etc.)

It's going to be interesting to see the data coming in from Scotland with regards to the link between cases, hospitalisations, and deaths following the return to school.

Obviously with the re-introduction of mass testing there is going to be an uptick in positive results, but seeing how that translates into higher hospitalisations will be interesting considering it looks like (to my untrained eye) the cases started to increase around a week before the schools went back, with both cases and hospitalisations increasing on the same date (13th August). In the past there has usually been a delay between the two. It's been a good few weeks and deaths have yet to really increase by any significant margin, but obviously analysing this kind of data isn't my speciality (and I've had a glass or few of Lidl's finest)

Adrian

08 Sep 2021, 8:21 am #12
(07 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm)streetdeckfan I think it's due to the fact that the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths is nowhere near what it once was. If an extra 10k deaths results in an extra 10 deaths a day (insert the obligatory every death is sad statement here), is it really worth bashing on about it? 

It's exactly what it is, but there's still a link between rising cases and the death rate. Looking at the numbers, the daily average will probably double (from what it was Aug 1st) at around 160 by mid-end month, if the case trend continues to rise. 

Hence the 'pissing into the wind' comment.

Adrian
08 Sep 2021, 8:21 am #12

(07 Sep 2021, 10:39 pm)streetdeckfan I think it's due to the fact that the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths is nowhere near what it once was. If an extra 10k deaths results in an extra 10 deaths a day (insert the obligatory every death is sad statement here), is it really worth bashing on about it? 

It's exactly what it is, but there's still a link between rising cases and the death rate. Looking at the numbers, the daily average will probably double (from what it was Aug 1st) at around 160 by mid-end month, if the case trend continues to rise. 

Hence the 'pissing into the wind' comment.

big mac

08 Sep 2021, 8:47 am #13

In my personal opinion I don't think the majority of people are making their decision based on that level of detail. They're not looking in to it that deeply. I reckon it's simply a case of "if I don't have to, I'm not going to". Of course, everyone is different but I do think it's as simple as that in a lot of cases.

big mac
08 Sep 2021, 8:47 am #13

In my personal opinion I don't think the majority of people are making their decision based on that level of detail. They're not looking in to it that deeply. I reckon it's simply a case of "if I don't have to, I'm not going to". Of course, everyone is different but I do think it's as simple as that in a lot of cases.

08 Sep 2021, 8:57 am #14
(08 Sep 2021, 8:47 am)big mac In my personal opinion I don't think the majority of people are making their decision based on that level of detail. They're not looking in to it that deeply. I reckon it's simply a case of "if I don't have to, I'm not going to". Of course, everyone is different but I do think it's as simple as that in a lot of cases.

Oh, I totally agree with you there!
I was just explaining my reasoning behind not wearing one.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2021, 8:57 am #14

(08 Sep 2021, 8:47 am)big mac In my personal opinion I don't think the majority of people are making their decision based on that level of detail. They're not looking in to it that deeply. I reckon it's simply a case of "if I don't have to, I'm not going to". Of course, everyone is different but I do think it's as simple as that in a lot of cases.

Oh, I totally agree with you there!
I was just explaining my reasoning behind not wearing one.

V514DFT

08 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #15

I still normally wear one,but i didnt today as i was really struggling with the heat

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #15

I still normally wear one,but i didnt today as i was really struggling with the heat

Kind Regards
Tez

08 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm #16
(08 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm)V514DFT I still normally wear one,but i didnt today as i was really struggling with the heat
I have more issues with humidity than heat. If it's even slightly humid I can barely breathe without a mask nevermind with one!

streetdeckfan
08 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm #16

(08 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm)V514DFT I still normally wear one,but i didnt today as i was really struggling with the heat
I have more issues with humidity than heat. If it's even slightly humid I can barely breathe without a mask nevermind with one!

V514DFT

08 Sep 2021, 7:21 pm #17
(08 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm)streetdeckfan I have more issues with humidity than heat. If it's even slightly humid I can barely breathe without a mask nevermind with one!

Its not plesant at all

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
08 Sep 2021, 7:21 pm #17

(08 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm)streetdeckfan I have more issues with humidity than heat. If it's even slightly humid I can barely breathe without a mask nevermind with one!

Its not plesant at all

Kind Regards
Tez

08 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm #18
Frankly I couldn't care less about anti maskers, they deserve all that's coming, They are usually members of the 52% anyway, so no loss.
54APhotography
08 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm #18

Frankly I couldn't care less about anti maskers, they deserve all that's coming, They are usually members of the 52% anyway, so no loss.

08 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm #19
(08 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm)54APhotography Frankly I couldn't care less about anti maskers, they deserve all that's coming, They are usually members of the 52% anyway, so no loss.

I couldn't care less about people who wear masks - it's a personal choice and it's none of my business.
omnicity4659
08 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm #19

(08 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm)54APhotography Frankly I couldn't care less about anti maskers, they deserve all that's coming, They are usually members of the 52% anyway, so no loss.

I couldn't care less about people who wear masks - it's a personal choice and it's none of my business.

08 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm #20
Suffer the consequences then.
54APhotography
08 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm #20

Suffer the consequences then.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average