Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach & National Express merger

Stagecoach & National Express merger

Stagecoach & National Express merger

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
Stanleyone

22 Sep 2021, 12:12 am #21
(21 Sep 2021, 10:28 pm)deanmachine I doubt any of this would effect our local bus area, not sure why this new entity would want to sell up anywhere when they don’t need to. The coaching side I can see happening, but not immediately as they have a contract with GNE.
In the current climate,  I'm MG would love to have those nat ex drivers back on locals. If the coaching side does go, I would see Chester depot closing.
Stanleyone
22 Sep 2021, 12:12 am #21

(21 Sep 2021, 10:28 pm)deanmachine I doubt any of this would effect our local bus area, not sure why this new entity would want to sell up anywhere when they don’t need to. The coaching side I can see happening, but not immediately as they have a contract with GNE.
In the current climate,  I'm MG would love to have those nat ex drivers back on locals. If the coaching side does go, I would see Chester depot closing.

col87

22 Sep 2021, 6:57 am #22
(22 Sep 2021, 12:12 am)Stanleyone In the current climate,  I'm MG would love to have those nat ex drivers back on locals. If the coaching side does go, I would see Chester depot closing.
Quite possibly although am surprised Riverside depot is not doing the National Express work.  Washington depot I think could easily do the majority of the Chester Le Street work.  21/X21 all been done from Riverside.  

It also easy to answer why Hartlepool and Shields depots could be sold off or closed permanently.  White Stagecoach might currently want them open and are happily running them on next to no budget both ( especially Hartlepool) desperately need investment and as I understand it they the two less profitable depots in the North East area so from business sense the solution would possibly be to get rid as they can’t really be downgraded any further. I think in that case Arriva could be ruled out unless they do a complete 90 % turn and start investing again so Go North east would be most likely to buy them. Although service wise the Hartlepool 1 and Shields E services I could see staying under Stagecoach/Nat Ex.
col87
22 Sep 2021, 6:57 am #22

(22 Sep 2021, 12:12 am)Stanleyone In the current climate,  I'm MG would love to have those nat ex drivers back on locals. If the coaching side does go, I would see Chester depot closing.
Quite possibly although am surprised Riverside depot is not doing the National Express work.  Washington depot I think could easily do the majority of the Chester Le Street work.  21/X21 all been done from Riverside.  

It also easy to answer why Hartlepool and Shields depots could be sold off or closed permanently.  White Stagecoach might currently want them open and are happily running them on next to no budget both ( especially Hartlepool) desperately need investment and as I understand it they the two less profitable depots in the North East area so from business sense the solution would possibly be to get rid as they can’t really be downgraded any further. I think in that case Arriva could be ruled out unless they do a complete 90 % turn and start investing again so Go North east would be most likely to buy them. Although service wise the Hartlepool 1 and Shields E services I could see staying under Stagecoach/Nat Ex.

Storx

22 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm #23

I don't know the state of the depots but wouldn't closing Washington be easier. The 50/50A/26 could easily be operated from it and it's not far to Birtley for the Solos or Bournmoor for the 4. X1 less so but it's no different to the 21, X21, 25, 28 and so on if you shut CLS.

Wasn't there rumours for a new depot merging them years ago anyway or am I making that up.
Storx
22 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm #23

I don't know the state of the depots but wouldn't closing Washington be easier. The 50/50A/26 could easily be operated from it and it's not far to Birtley for the Solos or Bournmoor for the 4. X1 less so but it's no different to the 21, X21, 25, 28 and so on if you shut CLS.

Wasn't there rumours for a new depot merging them years ago anyway or am I making that up.

JP6004

22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm #24
(22 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm)Storx I don't know the state of the depots but wouldn't closing Washington be easier. The 50/50A/26 could easily be operated from it and it's not far to Birtley for the Solos or Bournmoor for the 4. X1 less so but it's no different to the 21, X21, 25, 28 and so on if you shut CLS.

Yes was going to be on birtley industrial estate iirc. However think galleries where that new cinema was supposed to be built would be ideal place. From there you have all the washington network plus the 8 that's serves the galleries. Also not far from birtley for rest of Chester's operation. Also no need for Van's to ferry drivers to and from concord
JP6004
22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm #24

(22 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm)Storx I don't know the state of the depots but wouldn't closing Washington be easier. The 50/50A/26 could easily be operated from it and it's not far to Birtley for the Solos or Bournmoor for the 4. X1 less so but it's no different to the 21, X21, 25, 28 and so on if you shut CLS.

Yes was going to be on birtley industrial estate iirc. However think galleries where that new cinema was supposed to be built would be ideal place. From there you have all the washington network plus the 8 that's serves the galleries. Also not far from birtley for rest of Chester's operation. Also no need for Van's to ferry drivers to and from concord

Chris 1

22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm #25

Up on the Drum industrial estate was the last rumours I heard, not sure what happened though.

Be a sad day if Chester ever did close, it's where 'The Northern' all began.  Not many old school depots left.
Chris 1
22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm #25

Up on the Drum industrial estate was the last rumours I heard, not sure what happened though.

Be a sad day if Chester ever did close, it's where 'The Northern' all began.  Not many old school depots left.

cbma06

22 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm #26

I think there were going to build a big depot at Birtley, but came to no avail and a car company took on the site.

Even though Chester depot must be cramped inside and could do with a new one, I wonder how much the maintenance cost is and if there’s any terminally structural problems with the drpot if it’s to close in the future it’s the only one of two left, it’s more nostalgia

I would of thought moving Washington to deptford be done years ago as it’s only down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
22 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm #26

I think there were going to build a big depot at Birtley, but came to no avail and a car company took on the site.

Even though Chester depot must be cramped inside and could do with a new one, I wonder how much the maintenance cost is and if there’s any terminally structural problems with the drpot if it’s to close in the future it’s the only one of two left, it’s more nostalgia

I would of thought moving Washington to deptford be done years ago as it’s only down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian

22 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm #27
(21 Sep 2021, 10:40 pm)Andreos1 I think 'yet' is the key word here.
Flixbus raised £500m of investment just a few months ago and if Nat Ex or Megabus are caught napping, they could lose out big time.

I think its important they look to stay ahead of the game here and if they can cut/reduce costs in the meantime through the merger, it seems a no-brainer.

Having a quick look at prices, I'd say National Express are already napping. The FlixBus fares are extremely good value and provide a good option to those on a budget.

I'm not so sure, because at least the NX work is guaranteed income for GNE. The same cannot be said about locals, sadly. I'd suggest dropping the odd run on a 21 or X1, due to sickness, isn't impacting on the takings.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm #27

(21 Sep 2021, 10:40 pm)Andreos1 I think 'yet' is the key word here.
Flixbus raised £500m of investment just a few months ago and if Nat Ex or Megabus are caught napping, they could lose out big time.

I think its important they look to stay ahead of the game here and if they can cut/reduce costs in the meantime through the merger, it seems a no-brainer.

Having a quick look at prices, I'd say National Express are already napping. The FlixBus fares are extremely good value and provide a good option to those on a budget.

I'm not so sure, because at least the NX work is guaranteed income for GNE. The same cannot be said about locals, sadly. I'd suggest dropping the odd run on a 21 or X1, due to sickness, isn't impacting on the takings.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

22 Sep 2021, 5:44 pm #28
(22 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm)Adrian Having a quick look at prices, I'd say National Express are already napping. The FlixBus fares are extremely good value and provide a good option for Loooooooooooooooooovel to those on a budget.

We're going on a trip down to Leeds to see a show next month, and out of Megabus, FlixBus and NatEx, Flixbus was obviously the cheapest, but it was just one journey a day each way, NatEx was only maybe £3 more per person but had the best times. Megabus seem to have shot up in price compared to when we used to use them in the past.

In the end, we decided to just get the train because it was only £1 more each, and with the railcard it actually worked out cheaper.
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2021, 5:44 pm #28

(22 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm)Adrian Having a quick look at prices, I'd say National Express are already napping. The FlixBus fares are extremely good value and provide a good option for Loooooooooooooooooovel to those on a budget.

We're going on a trip down to Leeds to see a show next month, and out of Megabus, FlixBus and NatEx, Flixbus was obviously the cheapest, but it was just one journey a day each way, NatEx was only maybe £3 more per person but had the best times. Megabus seem to have shot up in price compared to when we used to use them in the past.

In the end, we decided to just get the train because it was only £1 more each, and with the railcard it actually worked out cheaper.

Storx

22 Sep 2021, 6:28 pm #29
Wasn't dreaming it then.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm)JP6004 Yes was going to be on birtley industrial estate iirc. However think galleries where that new cinema was supposed to be built would be ideal place. From there you have all the washington network plus the 8 that's serves the galleries. Also not far from birtley for rest of Chester's operation. Also no need for Van's to ferry drivers to and from concord

Hmm, think Chester area would be better personally like. There's just more routes serving the area especially Birtley. There's only really the X1 and 4 which don't serve since everything else passes close by.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm)Chris 1 Up on the Drum industrial estate was the last rumours I heard, not sure what happened though.

You're right there mind especially with Jesmond's and Blyth's depot supposedly moving at some point (if they ever do). Will only leave the Stagecoach depots plus Percy Main.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm)cbma06 I think there were going to build a big depot at Birtley, but came to no avail and a car company took on the site.

Probably costing them a fortune tbh, both of them are old now. They look a right dump from the outside aswell (taking the nostalgia glasses for a moment) especially Chester with it's rotten windows, be interesting to see if their any more pleasant for staff inside. No doubt not though.
Storx
22 Sep 2021, 6:28 pm #29

Wasn't dreaming it then.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm)JP6004 Yes was going to be on birtley industrial estate iirc. However think galleries where that new cinema was supposed to be built would be ideal place. From there you have all the washington network plus the 8 that's serves the galleries. Also not far from birtley for rest of Chester's operation. Also no need for Van's to ferry drivers to and from concord

Hmm, think Chester area would be better personally like. There's just more routes serving the area especially Birtley. There's only really the X1 and 4 which don't serve since everything else passes close by.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:14 pm)Chris 1 Up on the Drum industrial estate was the last rumours I heard, not sure what happened though.

You're right there mind especially with Jesmond's and Blyth's depot supposedly moving at some point (if they ever do). Will only leave the Stagecoach depots plus Percy Main.

(22 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm)cbma06 I think there were going to build a big depot at Birtley, but came to no avail and a car company took on the site.

Probably costing them a fortune tbh, both of them are old now. They look a right dump from the outside aswell (taking the nostalgia glasses for a moment) especially Chester with it's rotten windows, be interesting to see if their any more pleasant for staff inside. No doubt not though.

TonyFoster88

Unregistered

26 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm #30
https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...in-tycoons
Interesting article
TonyFoster88
26 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm #30

https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...in-tycoons
Interesting article

James101

26 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm #31
(26 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm)TonyFoster88 https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...in-tycoons
Interesting article

I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.
James101
26 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm #31

(26 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm)TonyFoster88 https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...in-tycoons
Interesting article

I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.

Andreos1

26 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm #32
(26 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm)James101 I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.

Its almost like the gold rush and the prospectors are fleeing before it gets too late.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm #32

(26 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm)James101 I agree with the articles sentiment. Stagecoach flourished in the cut & thrust peak deregulation era. It was very much Brian's company, a commercial beast ran by a dynamic entrepreneur, even if he is a terrible person. Stagecoach has seen jilted & stale since Souter stepped down. The upcoming quasi-regulated system on the horizon much more suits how National Express operate in the West Midlands. Extensive stable networks, close partnerships with authorities, flat, very cheap, fares. If this style is adopted into the current Stagecoach operations it could be good news for the passenger.

Its almost like the gold rush and the prospectors are fleeing before it gets too late.

Michael

14 Dec 2021, 10:21 am #33
Stagecoach and National Express agree £1.9bn merger

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2021/12...bn-merger/

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Dec 2021, 10:21 am #33

Stagecoach and National Express agree £1.9bn merger

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Chris 1

14 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm #34
(14 Dec 2021, 10:21 am)Michael Stagecoach and National Express agree £1.9bn merger

Indeed.

Stagecoach stake in Citylink; Megabus and South West Falcon all appear to have to go.

Interesting times.
Chris 1
14 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm #34

(14 Dec 2021, 10:21 am)Michael Stagecoach and National Express agree £1.9bn merger

Indeed.

Stagecoach stake in Citylink; Megabus and South West Falcon all appear to have to go.

Interesting times.

14 Dec 2021, 12:26 pm #35
(14 Dec 2021, 12:25 pm)Chris 1 Indeed.

Interesting times.
They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.
54APhotography
14 Dec 2021, 12:26 pm #35

Interesting times.
They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.

Michael

14 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm #36
(14 Dec 2021, 12:26 pm)54APhotography They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.

Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm #36

(14 Dec 2021, 12:26 pm)54APhotography They've gone. Deal was done to allow merger. CDG take all three.

Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Chris 1

14 Dec 2021, 1:23 pm #37
(14 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm)Michael Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?

Comfort DelGro, a Singapore based company with interests in the UK.
Chris 1
14 Dec 2021, 1:23 pm #37

(14 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm)Michael Dumb question but what does CDG stand for?

Comfort DelGro, a Singapore based company with interests in the UK.

14 Dec 2021, 1:26 pm #38
Comfort DelGro, already heavily involved with Megabus and Citylink, the takeover of that meant no obstacles left for the merger.
54APhotography
14 Dec 2021, 1:26 pm #38

Comfort DelGro, already heavily involved with Megabus and Citylink, the takeover of that meant no obstacles left for the merger.

Michael

14 Dec 2021, 1:29 pm #39
Ah right thank you.

Makes sense for them to take over Megabus/Scottish Citylink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Dec 2021, 1:29 pm #39

Ah right thank you.

Makes sense for them to take over Megabus/Scottish Citylink

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

14 Dec 2021, 1:42 pm #40

Interesting times.

Interesting. Not unsurprising, but one of those I thought they may have gotten away with.

Andreos1
14 Dec 2021, 1:42 pm #40

Interesting times.

Interesting. Not unsurprising, but one of those I thought they may have gotten away with.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average