Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat The UK is short of ...

The UK is short of ...

The UK is short of ...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Adrian

28 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm #21
(28 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm)Chris 1 Hmmm

RHA chappie makes selective comments about driver/fuel shortages, ensues panic buying and public outrage about the so called 'driver shortage' and puts pressure on the government to allow EU migrants back to drive HGVs....

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the RHA have been lobbying government on behalf of their members to have HGV drivers on the occupation list....

I don't know why we keep referring to it as a 'so called driver shortage'? It's abundantly clear that a labour shortage exists, the same as it does in other low-paid/poor conditions sectors such as hospitality and the social care sector.

As for allowing EU migrants back to work; if I was one, I don't think I'd want to come back after years of being treated like second-class citizens in the UK.

We've made our own bed, as they say.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm #21

(28 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm)Chris 1 Hmmm

RHA chappie makes selective comments about driver/fuel shortages, ensues panic buying and public outrage about the so called 'driver shortage' and puts pressure on the government to allow EU migrants back to drive HGVs....

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the RHA have been lobbying government on behalf of their members to have HGV drivers on the occupation list....

I don't know why we keep referring to it as a 'so called driver shortage'? It's abundantly clear that a labour shortage exists, the same as it does in other low-paid/poor conditions sectors such as hospitality and the social care sector.

As for allowing EU migrants back to work; if I was one, I don't think I'd want to come back after years of being treated like second-class citizens in the UK.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

28 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm #22
Apparently the BBC have today ramped it up again. If there was a problem with the supply Jarrow would be taking two trains a day again. Its all down to drivers. It's Autumn and the prospect of staying loyal and battling freezing rain and snow to connect hoses and stand whilst filling subterranean tanks, whe offers are there for more pay, to sit in your cab and have others unload/load is a no brainer..
54APhotography
28 Sep 2021, 12:46 pm #22

Apparently the BBC have today ramped it up again. If there was a problem with the supply Jarrow would be taking two trains a day again. Its all down to drivers. It's Autumn and the prospect of staying loyal and battling freezing rain and snow to connect hoses and stand whilst filling subterranean tanks, whe offers are there for more pay, to sit in your cab and have others unload/load is a no brainer..

Chris 1

28 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #23
(28 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm)Adrian I don't know why we keep referring to it as a 'so called driver shortage'? It's abundantly clear that a labour shortage exists, the same as it does in other low-paid/poor conditions sectors such as hospitality and the social care sector.

I say 'so called', as it's been rumbling on for a number of years now.  The RHA aren't shy in throwing around figures to support their cause.  There's no shortage of HGV license holders, just people actually using them to earn a living.  Granted, pockets exist in certain parts of the country, and at certain times of the year.  But nowhere near as the likes of the RHA would have us believe.

Haulage firms very rarely train their own drivers from scratch.  Newly qualified drivers struggle to find substantive work.  If there was a real shortage, these two factors alone are within the industry's gift to resolve.
Chris 1
28 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #23

(28 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm)Adrian I don't know why we keep referring to it as a 'so called driver shortage'? It's abundantly clear that a labour shortage exists, the same as it does in other low-paid/poor conditions sectors such as hospitality and the social care sector.

I say 'so called', as it's been rumbling on for a number of years now.  The RHA aren't shy in throwing around figures to support their cause.  There's no shortage of HGV license holders, just people actually using them to earn a living.  Granted, pockets exist in certain parts of the country, and at certain times of the year.  But nowhere near as the likes of the RHA would have us believe.

Haulage firms very rarely train their own drivers from scratch.  Newly qualified drivers struggle to find substantive work.  If there was a real shortage, these two factors alone are within the industry's gift to resolve.

Charles41

28 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm #24
A stiff upper lip. The country has gone soft.

Charles
Charles41
28 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm #24

A stiff upper lip. The country has gone soft.

Charles

BusLoverMum

29 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm #25
(28 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm)Charles41 A stiff upper lip. The country has gone soft.

Charles
Most people would with the current shower in charge (and the shower supposedly opposing them).
BusLoverMum
29 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm #25

(28 Sep 2021, 6:46 pm)Charles41 A stiff upper lip. The country has gone soft.

Charles
Most people would with the current shower in charge (and the shower supposedly opposing them).

29 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm #26
Agree entirely, worst politicians in history. Which is apt given this is the worst society in memory.
54APhotography
29 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm #26

Agree entirely, worst politicians in history. Which is apt given this is the worst society in memory.

BusLoverMum

29 Sep 2021, 10:37 pm #27
(29 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm)54APhotography Agree entirely, worst politicians in history. Which is apt given this is the worst society in memory.
Did you not watch Horrible Histories? Big Grin
BusLoverMum
29 Sep 2021, 10:37 pm #27

(29 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm)54APhotography Agree entirely, worst politicians in history. Which is apt given this is the worst society in memory.
Did you not watch Horrible Histories? Big Grin

30 Sep 2021, 7:52 am #28
(29 Sep 2021, 10:37 pm)BusLoverMum Did you not watch Horrible Histories? Big Grin
Not my cup of tea, but I did watch Nazi's - A Warning from History. The use of rhetoric from that time happened here and in the US, and too many traits ring true.
54APhotography
30 Sep 2021, 7:52 am #28

(29 Sep 2021, 10:37 pm)BusLoverMum Did you not watch Horrible Histories? Big Grin
Not my cup of tea, but I did watch Nazi's - A Warning from History. The use of rhetoric from that time happened here and in the US, and too many traits ring true.

Andreos1

30 Sep 2021, 9:11 am #29
Turns out there's a shortage of clowns in Northern Ireland!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Sep 2021, 9:11 am #29

Turns out there's a shortage of clowns in Northern Ireland!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

30 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm #30
We've plenty going spare..
54APhotography
30 Sep 2021, 7:51 pm #30

We've plenty going spare..

04 Oct 2021, 9:50 pm #31
Facebooks

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156