Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (13): 1 2 313 Next
Train8261

22 Oct 2021, 7:25 am #2
Interested to read of that another bus station could be built in Newcastle
Train8261
22 Oct 2021, 7:25 am #2

Interested to read of that another bus station could be built in Newcastle

Keeiajs

22 Oct 2021, 8:23 am #3
(22 Oct 2021, 7:25 am)Train8261 Interested to read of that another bus station could be built in Newcastle
Really there should just be 1 massive one.
Keeiajs
22 Oct 2021, 8:23 am #3

(22 Oct 2021, 7:25 am)Train8261 Interested to read of that another bus station could be built in Newcastle
Really there should just be 1 massive one.

MurdnunoC

22 Oct 2021, 8:31 am #4
Quote:A single ticket that would allow unlimited travel across all bus, Metro, and ferry services in Tyne and Wear, County Durham, and Northumberland, plus rail services between Sunderland, Newcastle, the Metrocentre and Blaydon. The multi-modal ticket could be capped at between £4 and £6.80 daily depending how far across the region you travel. It would be available to either pre-purchase as a physical ticket or could be automatically calculated as passengers travel using a contactless bank card, pay as you go smartcard, or mobile app;

A bit of a climbdown from the '£5 ticket for travel across the entire region' article posted elsewhere on the forum recently.
MurdnunoC
22 Oct 2021, 8:31 am #4

Quote:A single ticket that would allow unlimited travel across all bus, Metro, and ferry services in Tyne and Wear, County Durham, and Northumberland, plus rail services between Sunderland, Newcastle, the Metrocentre and Blaydon. The multi-modal ticket could be capped at between £4 and £6.80 daily depending how far across the region you travel. It would be available to either pre-purchase as a physical ticket or could be automatically calculated as passengers travel using a contactless bank card, pay as you go smartcard, or mobile app;

A bit of a climbdown from the '£5 ticket for travel across the entire region' article posted elsewhere on the forum recently.

22 Oct 2021, 9:03 am #5
(22 Oct 2021, 8:31 am)MurdnunoC A bit of a climbdown from the '£5 ticket for travel across the entire region' article posted elsewhere on the forum recently.
Still would be great value though.

I'm intrigued about the new bus station in Bishop. The one in the town centre is /fine/, so maybe one on Tindale should they ever get round to building the cinema/bowling alley

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2021, 9:03 am #5

(22 Oct 2021, 8:31 am)MurdnunoC A bit of a climbdown from the '£5 ticket for travel across the entire region' article posted elsewhere on the forum recently.
Still would be great value though.

I'm intrigued about the new bus station in Bishop. The one in the town centre is /fine/, so maybe one on Tindale should they ever get round to building the cinema/bowling alley

Storx

22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am #6
(22 Oct 2021, 9:03 am)streetdeckfan Still would be great value though.

Imagine it being a refurbishment rather than a new one, sure there was plans to knock down the Newgate Centre, think that's it's name so might be one big scheme. It's a desolate bus station Bishop if you can even call it than, more a few shelters on a road.

Alnwick I'm guessing is similar.
Storx
22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am #6

Imagine it being a refurbishment rather than a new one, sure there was plans to knock down the Newgate Centre, think that's it's name so might be one big scheme. It's a desolate bus station Bishop if you can even call it than, more a few shelters on a road.

Adrian

22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am #7
(22 Oct 2021, 8:23 am)Keeiajs Really there should just be 1 massive one.

Where do you put it though? Newcastle City Centre isn't really big in comparison to places like Glasgow, which obviously has a huge bus station. 

As I posted in another thread, the only realistic place is the land on Westmorland Rd and the Blandford St junction, but then people would twist that it is too far from the City Centre.

Yeah, but maybe that was about as realistic as asking for £804m out of an allocated pot of £3bn for the whole of England...

I'm all for ambition, but I hope there's a plan B. Unless they're banking on the Tories having had a personality transplant.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am #7

(22 Oct 2021, 8:23 am)Keeiajs Really there should just be 1 massive one.

Where do you put it though? Newcastle City Centre isn't really big in comparison to places like Glasgow, which obviously has a huge bus station. 

As I posted in another thread, the only realistic place is the land on Westmorland Rd and the Blandford St junction, but then people would twist that it is too far from the City Centre.

Yeah, but maybe that was about as realistic as asking for £804m out of an allocated pot of £3bn for the whole of England...

I'm all for ambition, but I hope there's a plan B. Unless they're banking on the Tories having had a personality transplant.

Keeiajs

22 Oct 2021, 9:19 am #8

Park Lane should get a new one.
Keeiajs
22 Oct 2021, 9:19 am #8

Park Lane should get a new one.

22 Oct 2021, 9:27 am #9
(22 Oct 2021, 6:56 am)Keeiajs https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...r-21933752
And yet Ashington rail link is on a shoestring and no metro extensions at all , even cuts as money can't be sourced to prop up green transport. What else to expect from a regime that garners donations from bus companies for favours.
54APhotography
22 Oct 2021, 9:27 am #9

(22 Oct 2021, 6:56 am)Keeiajs https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...r-21933752
And yet Ashington rail link is on a shoestring and no metro extensions at all , even cuts as money can't be sourced to prop up green transport. What else to expect from a regime that garners donations from bus companies for favours.

22 Oct 2021, 9:28 am #10
(22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am)Storx Imagine it being a refurbishment rather than a new one, sure there was plans to knock down the Newgate Centre, think that's it's name so might be one big scheme. It's a desolate bus station Bishop if you can even call it than, more a few shelters on a road.

I'd take Bishop bus station over CLS, at least the shelters are somewhat enclosed, and the 'road' is buses only.

I don't recall hearing any plans to knock down Newgate Centre recently, in fact the Jobcentre seem to be taking over half of it

streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2021, 9:28 am #10

(22 Oct 2021, 9:15 am)Storx Imagine it being a refurbishment rather than a new one, sure there was plans to knock down the Newgate Centre, think that's it's name so might be one big scheme. It's a desolate bus station Bishop if you can even call it than, more a few shelters on a road.

I'd take Bishop bus station over CLS, at least the shelters are somewhat enclosed, and the 'road' is buses only.

I don't recall hearing any plans to knock down Newgate Centre recently, in fact the Jobcentre seem to be taking over half of it

Storx

22 Oct 2021, 9:41 am #11
(22 Oct 2021, 9:27 am)54APhotography And yet Ashington rail link is on a shoestring and no metro extensions at all , even cuts as money can't be sourced to prop up green transport. What else to expect from a regime that garners donations from bus companies for favours.

It's a fund just for levelling up buses so they can't really bid for Metro / trains. Anything for trains and the Metro would be a different budget.

(22 Oct 2021, 9:28 am)streetdeckfan I'd take Bishop bus station over CLS, at least the shelters are somewhat enclosed, and the 'road' is buses only.

Aye that's true mind, probably cheaper to redo though just hoy a nicer building up with some doors and that's it. I'm more surprised at Durham and Alnwick tbh. Are we planning to knock down the new one and build another new one...? Plus Alnwick really isn't bad - https://goo.gl/maps/ZhwhVUpLBfYScUgp6.

Mind it's confusing saying North East when it's not the North East, it's the LA7 only and doesn't include Tees Valley so isn't much use for those down Bishop etc who go to Darlington and no doubt will end up paying £7+ for the border tax.
Storx
22 Oct 2021, 9:41 am #11

(22 Oct 2021, 9:27 am)54APhotography And yet Ashington rail link is on a shoestring and no metro extensions at all , even cuts as money can't be sourced to prop up green transport. What else to expect from a regime that garners donations from bus companies for favours.

It's a fund just for levelling up buses so they can't really bid for Metro / trains. Anything for trains and the Metro would be a different budget.

(22 Oct 2021, 9:28 am)streetdeckfan I'd take Bishop bus station over CLS, at least the shelters are somewhat enclosed, and the 'road' is buses only.

Aye that's true mind, probably cheaper to redo though just hoy a nicer building up with some doors and that's it. I'm more surprised at Durham and Alnwick tbh. Are we planning to knock down the new one and build another new one...? Plus Alnwick really isn't bad - https://goo.gl/maps/ZhwhVUpLBfYScUgp6.

Mind it's confusing saying North East when it's not the North East, it's the LA7 only and doesn't include Tees Valley so isn't much use for those down Bishop etc who go to Darlington and no doubt will end up paying £7+ for the border tax.

22 Oct 2021, 9:47 am #12
(22 Oct 2021, 9:41 am)Storx It's a fund just for levelling up buses so they can't really bid for Metro / trains. Anything for trains and the Metro would be a different budget.

It's still taxpayers money, like all this paint... The regime has a duty to balance the bus improvement plan with more sustainable transport. Ashington really should be Metro, electrified and low carbon footprint, so when ripping up station ideas whilst the incumbent bus operator gets an injection doesn't look good, or help carbon reduction..

As for Alnwick, it isn't too clever, the brick shelter doubles as a urinal at night and is not a nice place to wait for a bus on a warm sunny day...
54APhotography
22 Oct 2021, 9:47 am #12

(22 Oct 2021, 9:41 am)Storx It's a fund just for levelling up buses so they can't really bid for Metro / trains. Anything for trains and the Metro would be a different budget.

It's still taxpayers money, like all this paint... The regime has a duty to balance the bus improvement plan with more sustainable transport. Ashington really should be Metro, electrified and low carbon footprint, so when ripping up station ideas whilst the incumbent bus operator gets an injection doesn't look good, or help carbon reduction..

As for Alnwick, it isn't too clever, the brick shelter doubles as a urinal at night and is not a nice place to wait for a bus on a warm sunny day...

22 Oct 2021, 11:26 am #13

Despite Darlington being much closer to me in Bishop, I'd much rather travel back up north as there's very little to do there

streetdeckfan
22 Oct 2021, 11:26 am #13

Despite Darlington being much closer to me in Bishop, I'd much rather travel back up north as there's very little to do there

Storx

22 Oct 2021, 11:41 am #14
(22 Oct 2021, 9:47 am)54APhotography It's still taxpayers money, like all this paint... The regime has a duty to balance the bus improvement plan with more sustainable transport. Ashington really should be Metro, electrified and low carbon footprint, so when ripping up station ideas whilst the incumbent bus operator gets an injection doesn't look good, or help carbon reduction..

Aye no arguments here, we need much better trains up in particular imo. Like we have the ECML passing through numerous towns but there's no stops since it's overloaded and it can't have a service. Killingworth, Ferryhill, North Durham, Birtley, Low Fell / Team Valley, Dudley, Langley Moor, North Darlington just to name a few. Crazy really.

No doubt we'll be building bus corridors to cover some of these aswell when argubly the buses should be going no-where near Newcastle anyway with them providing a local service to the much faster train. Shame we're massively disconnected like that though. Even with people using cycles doing the first hop and missing the bus altogether.

(22 Oct 2021, 11:26 am)streetdeckfan Despite Darlington being much closer to me in Bishop, I'd much rather travel back up north as there's very little to do there

Some is using them though, there's 6 buses an hour between the two places and just as many from Newton Aycliffe aswell.
Storx
22 Oct 2021, 11:41 am #14

(22 Oct 2021, 9:47 am)54APhotography It's still taxpayers money, like all this paint... The regime has a duty to balance the bus improvement plan with more sustainable transport. Ashington really should be Metro, electrified and low carbon footprint, so when ripping up station ideas whilst the incumbent bus operator gets an injection doesn't look good, or help carbon reduction..

Aye no arguments here, we need much better trains up in particular imo. Like we have the ECML passing through numerous towns but there's no stops since it's overloaded and it can't have a service. Killingworth, Ferryhill, North Durham, Birtley, Low Fell / Team Valley, Dudley, Langley Moor, North Darlington just to name a few. Crazy really.

No doubt we'll be building bus corridors to cover some of these aswell when argubly the buses should be going no-where near Newcastle anyway with them providing a local service to the much faster train. Shame we're massively disconnected like that though. Even with people using cycles doing the first hop and missing the bus altogether.

(22 Oct 2021, 11:26 am)streetdeckfan Despite Darlington being much closer to me in Bishop, I'd much rather travel back up north as there's very little to do there

Some is using them though, there's 6 buses an hour between the two places and just as many from Newton Aycliffe aswell.

Wybus

22 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm #15
Clearly the additional bus station in Newcastle needs to be somewhere in the Pilgrim Street area capable of accommodating all services that run to/from Gateshead, so they don’t have to loop all around the city centre. And with one bay big enough to accommodate the X9/X10 coaches as well.
Wybus
22 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm #15

Clearly the additional bus station in Newcastle needs to be somewhere in the Pilgrim Street area capable of accommodating all services that run to/from Gateshead, so they don’t have to loop all around the city centre. And with one bay big enough to accommodate the X9/X10 coaches as well.

Train8261

22 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm #16
A bus station at Market Street would do well since people wouldn't have to wait in the rain or wind for a bus. Plus the amount of buses using Market Street now
Train8261
22 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm #16

A bus station at Market Street would do well since people wouldn't have to wait in the rain or wind for a bus. Plus the amount of buses using Market Street now

Adrian

22 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm #17
(22 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm)Train8261 A bus station at Market Street would do well since people wouldn't have to wait in the rain or wind for a bus. Plus the amount of buses using Market Street now

So which of the listed buildings do you propose demolishing to make way for that...? Undecided

The vast majority of the central City Centre is listed, therefore wholesale removal to put a bus station in just isn't going to happen. The areas that aren't listed are all pretty much earmarked for development or unsuitable for a bus station.

Adrian
22 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm #17

(22 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm)Train8261 A bus station at Market Street would do well since people wouldn't have to wait in the rain or wind for a bus. Plus the amount of buses using Market Street now

So which of the listed buildings do you propose demolishing to make way for that...? Undecided

The vast majority of the central City Centre is listed, therefore wholesale removal to put a bus station in just isn't going to happen. The areas that aren't listed are all pretty much earmarked for development or unsuitable for a bus station.

BusLoverMum

22 Oct 2021, 1:30 pm #18
An amazing bus station could be built if the dead loss that is eldon garden was written off - could improve access to the car park above it, while they were at it.
BusLoverMum
22 Oct 2021, 1:30 pm #18

An amazing bus station could be built if the dead loss that is eldon garden was written off - could improve access to the car park above it, while they were at it.

22 Oct 2021, 1:35 pm #19
(22 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm)Adrian So which of the listed buildings do you propose demolishing to make way for that...?  Undecided

Only realistic area is the stack site, but is that even big enough?
54APhotography
22 Oct 2021, 1:35 pm #19

(22 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm)Adrian So which of the listed buildings do you propose demolishing to make way for that...?  Undecided

Only realistic area is the stack site, but is that even big enough?

Wybus

22 Oct 2021, 1:41 pm #20
The stack site would be ideal, whats the long term plan for that area, and that horrendous brutalist building that hangs over the road next to it?
Wybus
22 Oct 2021, 1:41 pm #20

The stack site would be ideal, whats the long term plan for that area, and that horrendous brutalist building that hangs over the road next to it?

Pages (13): 1 2 313 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average