Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat TFL in trouble?

TFL in trouble?

TFL in trouble?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

25 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm #2
It's really not surprising. Not only the escalating costs and still non-operation of Crossrail to contend with, but also cuts to the London transport grant, which Khan is the only mayor that has had to deal with.

Sadly it's falling in line with every other 'delegated' public service; starved of funding and then blamed by the Govt for ending up in that position.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm #2

It's really not surprising. Not only the escalating costs and still non-operation of Crossrail to contend with, but also cuts to the London transport grant, which Khan is the only mayor that has had to deal with.

Sadly it's falling in line with every other 'delegated' public service; starved of funding and then blamed by the Govt for ending up in that position.

BusLoverMum

25 Nov 2021, 8:43 pm #3
The thought "welcome to our world" did cross my mind!
BusLoverMum
25 Nov 2021, 8:43 pm #3

The thought "welcome to our world" did cross my mind!

Michael

25 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm #4
"My bus has dropped from every 6 minutes to every 9 minutes, HOW I'M I GOING TO COPE"

There's no need for all the bus routes crossing each other in London, the buses are that frequented, if you miss one, you only have to wait 5 minutes for the next one

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm #4

"My bus has dropped from every 6 minutes to every 9 minutes, HOW I'M I GOING TO COPE"

There's no need for all the bus routes crossing each other in London, the buses are that frequented, if you miss one, you only have to wait 5 minutes for the next one

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

BusLoverMum

25 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm #5
To be fair, they often serve busy, densely populated areas, though. And you might have a decent walk to a stop.
BusLoverMum
25 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm #5

To be fair, they often serve busy, densely populated areas, though. And you might have a decent walk to a stop.

Adrian

25 Nov 2021, 10:30 pm #6
In my experience, the vast majority of buses I've used in London are really well used. The PVRs are so high because of the amount of traffic congestion in the City.

A route like the 24 might take an hour to get across London on it's 7 mile route.

Adrian
25 Nov 2021, 10:30 pm #6

In my experience, the vast majority of buses I've used in London are really well used. The PVRs are so high because of the amount of traffic congestion in the City.

A route like the 24 might take an hour to get across London on it's 7 mile route.

IRHardy

27 Nov 2021, 12:34 pm #7
TfL also revealed that it expects to generate far less money than anticipated from the expansion of the ultra-low emission zone because more drivers than expected have switched to cleaner cars to evade the £12.50 levy. It was expected to generate up to £2m a day (£730m a year) but that has been downgraded to £600m over three years instead of £2190m. Therefore is a hole in the TfL budget of £1590m over 3 years.

So TfL and the mayor expected the ULEZ to be a money making scheme, with people not being bothered about the environment but it has backfired as people instead have decided that emissions are a bad thing and have decided to get newer vehicles.

TfL & the mayor couldn't run a bath, and we are stuck with the current mayor of London for another few years.
IRHardy
27 Nov 2021, 12:34 pm #7

TfL also revealed that it expects to generate far less money than anticipated from the expansion of the ultra-low emission zone because more drivers than expected have switched to cleaner cars to evade the £12.50 levy. It was expected to generate up to £2m a day (£730m a year) but that has been downgraded to £600m over three years instead of £2190m. Therefore is a hole in the TfL budget of £1590m over 3 years.

So TfL and the mayor expected the ULEZ to be a money making scheme, with people not being bothered about the environment but it has backfired as people instead have decided that emissions are a bad thing and have decided to get newer vehicles.

TfL & the mayor couldn't run a bath, and we are stuck with the current mayor of London for another few years.

Storx

27 Nov 2021, 6:43 pm #8
(27 Nov 2021, 12:34 pm)IRHardy TfL also revealed that it expects to generate far less money than anticipated from the expansion of the ultra-low emission zone because more drivers than expected have switched to cleaner cars to evade the £12.50 levy. It was expected to generate up to £2m a day (£730m a year) but that has been downgraded to £600m over three years instead of £2190m. Therefore is a hole in the TfL budget of £1590m over 3 years.

Not sure people really are bothered about the environment to be fair. Probably more bothered about the £12.50 Levy. I you go in daily, that's a lot of money. Talking £4k'ish a year, can't blame people switching.

It's only Euro 4 for petrol so poorer people with a car with a newish Diesel could easily replace their car to avoid it.
Storx
27 Nov 2021, 6:43 pm #8

(27 Nov 2021, 12:34 pm)IRHardy TfL also revealed that it expects to generate far less money than anticipated from the expansion of the ultra-low emission zone because more drivers than expected have switched to cleaner cars to evade the £12.50 levy. It was expected to generate up to £2m a day (£730m a year) but that has been downgraded to £600m over three years instead of £2190m. Therefore is a hole in the TfL budget of £1590m over 3 years.

Not sure people really are bothered about the environment to be fair. Probably more bothered about the £12.50 Levy. I you go in daily, that's a lot of money. Talking £4k'ish a year, can't blame people switching.

It's only Euro 4 for petrol so poorer people with a car with a newish Diesel could easily replace their car to avoid it.

IRHardy

27 Nov 2021, 8:55 pm #9
(27 Nov 2021, 6:43 pm)Storx Not sure people really are bothered about the environment to be fair. Probably more bothered about the £12.50 Levy. I you go in daily, that's a lot of money. Talking £4k'ish a year, can't blame people switching.

But TfL were expecting people just to pay up and budgeted accordingly, it has sort of back fired as they haven't Wink
IRHardy
27 Nov 2021, 8:55 pm #9

(27 Nov 2021, 6:43 pm)Storx Not sure people really are bothered about the environment to be fair. Probably more bothered about the £12.50 Levy. I you go in daily, that's a lot of money. Talking £4k'ish a year, can't blame people switching.

But TfL were expecting people just to pay up and budgeted accordingly, it has sort of back fired as they haven't Wink

Adrian

27 Nov 2021, 9:34 pm #10

If more people have switched, hasn't the introduction of a scheme done its job? It's not about making money; its about reducing harmful emissions, which needs to happen right across the globe. 

Wasn't ULEZ introduced by the previous Mayor, and the same politician who's Government is now starving TfL of funding? It's going the same way as every other public service; starved of funding, asset stripped and left to rot. No other underground network relies so heavily on fares vs taxes/subsidies. Even in New York, its about 2/3 subsidies, compared to 1/4 in London.

Adrian
27 Nov 2021, 9:34 pm #10

If more people have switched, hasn't the introduction of a scheme done its job? It's not about making money; its about reducing harmful emissions, which needs to happen right across the globe. 

Wasn't ULEZ introduced by the previous Mayor, and the same politician who's Government is now starving TfL of funding? It's going the same way as every other public service; starved of funding, asset stripped and left to rot. No other underground network relies so heavily on fares vs taxes/subsidies. Even in New York, its about 2/3 subsidies, compared to 1/4 in London.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average