Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Face Masks Back For Shops & Public Transport

Face Masks Back For Shops & Public Transport

Face Masks Back For Shops & Public Transport

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Ambassador

29 Nov 2021, 12:01 am #21
(28 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm)Dan Completely agree.

Another kick in the teeth to the bus industry, who were already struggling to get people back on buses.

Indeed and it’s equally frustrating for us heavily involved in return to office plans, this will just strengthen the rhetoric that buses and to an extent trains aren’t safe to use. I’ve already had cancellations for a number of planned face to face meetings this week from nervy colleagues.

If numbers trend up I’d imagine work from home will be next which will further damage the industry. 

I am struggling to understand the logic. On Tuesday I will board a 21 and must wear a mask. I’ll get off and enter a pub with a few hundred folk but that’s ok. I might nip into Sainsburys on my way to the match, that’s a mask. I’ll then enter an enclosed concourse with a few thousand others…no mask there. I’ll sit in the stand and sing and hug and hopefully celebrate… no mask. I’ll get the 21 home…oh nasty unsafe public transport, pop a mask on.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
29 Nov 2021, 12:01 am #21

(28 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm)Dan Completely agree.

Another kick in the teeth to the bus industry, who were already struggling to get people back on buses.

Indeed and it’s equally frustrating for us heavily involved in return to office plans, this will just strengthen the rhetoric that buses and to an extent trains aren’t safe to use. I’ve already had cancellations for a number of planned face to face meetings this week from nervy colleagues.

If numbers trend up I’d imagine work from home will be next which will further damage the industry. 

I am struggling to understand the logic. On Tuesday I will board a 21 and must wear a mask. I’ll get off and enter a pub with a few hundred folk but that’s ok. I might nip into Sainsburys on my way to the match, that’s a mask. I’ll then enter an enclosed concourse with a few thousand others…no mask there. I’ll sit in the stand and sing and hug and hopefully celebrate… no mask. I’ll get the 21 home…oh nasty unsafe public transport, pop a mask on.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

29 Nov 2021, 12:05 am #22
(29 Nov 2021, 12:01 am)Ambassador Indeed and it’s equally frustrating for us heavily involved in return to office plans, this will just strengthen the rhetoric that buses and to an extent trains aren’t safe to use. I’ve already had cancellations for a number of planned face to face meetings this week from nervy colleagues.

I just don't understand what it's all based on. This new variant, that according to the people that discovered it, is more mild than the variant we're currently dealing with. Maybe things will change as it spreads more, but they don't seem convinced it's that bad.

What happened to 'dealing with the virus'?

Even before the lifting of restrictions earlier in the year, a lot of people had already stopped following them. In fact, when they dropped the requirement for face coverings, I actually saw the number of people wearing them increase!
streetdeckfan
29 Nov 2021, 12:05 am #22

(29 Nov 2021, 12:01 am)Ambassador Indeed and it’s equally frustrating for us heavily involved in return to office plans, this will just strengthen the rhetoric that buses and to an extent trains aren’t safe to use. I’ve already had cancellations for a number of planned face to face meetings this week from nervy colleagues.

I just don't understand what it's all based on. This new variant, that according to the people that discovered it, is more mild than the variant we're currently dealing with. Maybe things will change as it spreads more, but they don't seem convinced it's that bad.

What happened to 'dealing with the virus'?

Even before the lifting of restrictions earlier in the year, a lot of people had already stopped following them. In fact, when they dropped the requirement for face coverings, I actually saw the number of people wearing them increase!

Adrian

29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm #23
(29 Nov 2021, 12:05 am)streetdeckfan Even before the lifting of restrictions earlier in the year, a lot of people had already stopped following them. In fact, when they dropped the requirement for face coverings, I actually saw the number of people wearing them increase!

Though its at near zero wearing them now, and those that are, are generally wearing them around their chin. You'd think people would have grasped how to wear them by now, but nope...

I could count on one hand the amount of people wearing them across the 6 Go North East buses I've used today, but at the same time, any signage relating to face coverings appears to have been removed.

On the Metro, where the recommendations of face coverings is still ever present, there still seems to be a fair few using them... although certainly not by majority.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm #23

(29 Nov 2021, 12:05 am)streetdeckfan Even before the lifting of restrictions earlier in the year, a lot of people had already stopped following them. In fact, when they dropped the requirement for face coverings, I actually saw the number of people wearing them increase!

Though its at near zero wearing them now, and those that are, are generally wearing them around their chin. You'd think people would have grasped how to wear them by now, but nope...

I could count on one hand the amount of people wearing them across the 6 Go North East buses I've used today, but at the same time, any signage relating to face coverings appears to have been removed.

On the Metro, where the recommendations of face coverings is still ever present, there still seems to be a fair few using them... although certainly not by majority.

29 Nov 2021, 5:13 pm #24
I do find it ironic that when I travel by bus I'm often the only one wearing a mask - properly. Yet when I look at the occupants of the buses I photograph, people seem to be masked!
54APhotography
29 Nov 2021, 5:13 pm #24

I do find it ironic that when I travel by bus I'm often the only one wearing a mask - properly. Yet when I look at the occupants of the buses I photograph, people seem to be masked!

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Nov 2021, 5:37 am #25
(29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm)Adrian Though its at near zero wearing them now, and those that are, are generally wearing them around their chin. You'd think people would have grasped how to wear them by now, but nope...

My experience of buses and Metro is the opposite of yours - again whilst a lot on buses don’t wear masks, almost everyone on Metro isn’t wearing one (even on ‘commuter’ style weekday trains, not just late at night).

I’ve always assumed that people feel less obliged to wear one on Metro as they don’t have to look the driver in the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
30 Nov 2021, 5:37 am #25

(29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm)Adrian Though its at near zero wearing them now, and those that are, are generally wearing them around their chin. You'd think people would have grasped how to wear them by now, but nope...

My experience of buses and Metro is the opposite of yours - again whilst a lot on buses don’t wear masks, almost everyone on Metro isn’t wearing one (even on ‘commuter’ style weekday trains, not just late at night).

I’ve always assumed that people feel less obliged to wear one on Metro as they don’t have to look the driver in the eye.

RMF1254

30 Nov 2021, 8:59 am #26
(30 Nov 2021, 5:37 am)Dan My experience of buses and Metro is the opposite of yours - again whilst a lot on buses don’t wear masks, almost everyone on Metro isn’t wearing one (even on ‘commuter’ style weekday trains, not just late at night).

Seems that people in the U.K. don’t think they need to wear a mask. We’ve just spent 2 weeks on a cruise ship and there was no way out, you had to agree to wear a mask or you couldn’t join the ship. Obviously there were areas where you didn’t need to wear it but walking around it was obligatory. In Spain and Portugal you were challenged in shops etc if your didn’t wear one and actually a lot of the locals were wearing them in the street. On open  top buses you had to wear a mask! On the drive back home from Southampton, in the motorway services it was difficult to spot a mask! I’m an asthma sufferer but still wear a mask as I feel like I am ‘doing my bit’ to protect others even though it’s really uncomfortable at times.
RMF1254
30 Nov 2021, 8:59 am #26

(30 Nov 2021, 5:37 am)Dan My experience of buses and Metro is the opposite of yours - again whilst a lot on buses don’t wear masks, almost everyone on Metro isn’t wearing one (even on ‘commuter’ style weekday trains, not just late at night).

Seems that people in the U.K. don’t think they need to wear a mask. We’ve just spent 2 weeks on a cruise ship and there was no way out, you had to agree to wear a mask or you couldn’t join the ship. Obviously there were areas where you didn’t need to wear it but walking around it was obligatory. In Spain and Portugal you were challenged in shops etc if your didn’t wear one and actually a lot of the locals were wearing them in the street. On open  top buses you had to wear a mask! On the drive back home from Southampton, in the motorway services it was difficult to spot a mask! I’m an asthma sufferer but still wear a mask as I feel like I am ‘doing my bit’ to protect others even though it’s really uncomfortable at times.

30 Nov 2021, 10:56 am #27
(30 Nov 2021, 8:59 am)RMF1254 Seems that people in the U.K. don’t think they need to wear a mask. We’ve just spent 2 weeks on a cruise ship and there was no way out, you had to agree to wear a mask or you couldn’t join the ship. Obviously there were areas where you didn’t need to wear it but walking around it was obligatory. In Spain and Portugal you were challenged in shops etc if your didn’t wear one and actually a lot of the locals were wearing them in the street. On open  top buses you had to wear a mask! On the drive back home from Southampton, in the motorway services it was difficult to spot a mask! I’m an asthma sufferer but still wear a mask as I feel like I am ‘doing my bit’ to protect others even though it’s really uncomfortable at times.

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut or owt, but if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not (vaccine rates and already high rates aside)
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 10:56 am #27

(30 Nov 2021, 8:59 am)RMF1254 Seems that people in the U.K. don’t think they need to wear a mask. We’ve just spent 2 weeks on a cruise ship and there was no way out, you had to agree to wear a mask or you couldn’t join the ship. Obviously there were areas where you didn’t need to wear it but walking around it was obligatory. In Spain and Portugal you were challenged in shops etc if your didn’t wear one and actually a lot of the locals were wearing them in the street. On open  top buses you had to wear a mask! On the drive back home from Southampton, in the motorway services it was difficult to spot a mask! I’m an asthma sufferer but still wear a mask as I feel like I am ‘doing my bit’ to protect others even though it’s really uncomfortable at times.

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut or owt, but if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not (vaccine rates and already high rates aside)

Rob44

30 Nov 2021, 10:59 am #28
(30 Nov 2021, 10:56 am)streetdeckfan Not to sound like a conspiracy nut or owt, but if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not (vaccine rates and already high rates aside)

too late!
Rob44
30 Nov 2021, 10:59 am #28

(30 Nov 2021, 10:56 am)streetdeckfan Not to sound like a conspiracy nut or owt, but if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not (vaccine rates and already high rates aside)

too late!

mb134

30 Nov 2021, 11:04 am #29
(29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm)Adrian I could count on one hand the amount of people wearing them across the 6 Go North East buses I've used today, but at the same time, any signage relating to face coverings appears to have been removed.

I travelled on an ANE X21 into town yesterday early evening and I'd say at most a couple were wearing masks of the 25-30 or so on board. However, I was also on one of the early AM runs (0610 from Newbiggin) and I'd say mask wearing was at around 25% (around 10 of the 35-40ish on board). 

Anecdotally, pensioners seem to be virtually all wearing masks still.
mb134
30 Nov 2021, 11:04 am #29

(29 Nov 2021, 5:05 pm)Adrian I could count on one hand the amount of people wearing them across the 6 Go North East buses I've used today, but at the same time, any signage relating to face coverings appears to have been removed.

I travelled on an ANE X21 into town yesterday early evening and I'd say at most a couple were wearing masks of the 25-30 or so on board. However, I was also on one of the early AM runs (0610 from Newbiggin) and I'd say mask wearing was at around 25% (around 10 of the 35-40ish on board). 

Anecdotally, pensioners seem to be virtually all wearing masks still.

Adrian

30 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm #30

Our cases have remained at a 7 day average of at least 27k for almost 5 months now. Last two months have been around 33k average. No other country in Europe has followed that pattern, mainly because their policy isn't being set by a bumbling idiot.

Adrian
30 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm #30

Our cases have remained at a 7 day average of at least 27k for almost 5 months now. Last two months have been around 33k average. No other country in Europe has followed that pattern, mainly because their policy isn't being set by a bumbling idiot.

30 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm #31
(30 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm)Adrian Our cases have remained at a 7 day average of at least 27k for almost 5 months now. Last two months have been around 33k average. No other country in Europe has followed that pattern, mainly because their policy isn't being set by a bumbling idiot.

And that should have always been the plan. People are going to catch COVID, that's just a fact. There's no stopping it, even New Zealand have admitted that now. You might as well let people get it over the summer when there is already less pressure on the NHS, with the hope being that natural immunity would give them extra protection throughout the winter. (on top of the protection already given by the vaccines)

After all, the reason for the lockdown was to 'protect the NHS'!

I'd personally much rather have a higher, but steady rate throughout the year than have massive unsustainable peaks over winter like we're seeing with other European countries.
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm #31

(30 Nov 2021, 12:11 pm)Adrian Our cases have remained at a 7 day average of at least 27k for almost 5 months now. Last two months have been around 33k average. No other country in Europe has followed that pattern, mainly because their policy isn't being set by a bumbling idiot.

And that should have always been the plan. People are going to catch COVID, that's just a fact. There's no stopping it, even New Zealand have admitted that now. You might as well let people get it over the summer when there is already less pressure on the NHS, with the hope being that natural immunity would give them extra protection throughout the winter. (on top of the protection already given by the vaccines)

I'd personally much rather have a higher, but steady rate throughout the year than have massive unsustainable peaks over winter like we're seeing with other European countries.

Adrian

30 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm #32
(30 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm)streetdeckfan And that should have always been the plan. People are going to catch COVID, that's just a fact. There's no stopping it, even New Zealand have admitted that now. You might as well let people get it over the summer when there is already less pressure on the NHS, with the hope being that natural immunity would give them extra protection throughout the winter. (on top of the protection already given by the vaccines)

But to answer your question, i.e. "if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not"

We haven't had a 'surge' because we've remained consistently high, and out of cycle with every other country. That may even answer your own question regarding the effectiveness of mandatory face coverings, whereby consistently high case rates haven't been seen where they are mandated.

Adrian
30 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm #32

(30 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm)streetdeckfan And that should have always been the plan. People are going to catch COVID, that's just a fact. There's no stopping it, even New Zealand have admitted that now. You might as well let people get it over the summer when there is already less pressure on the NHS, with the hope being that natural immunity would give them extra protection throughout the winter. (on top of the protection already given by the vaccines)

But to answer your question, i.e. "if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not"

We haven't had a 'surge' because we've remained consistently high, and out of cycle with every other country. That may even answer your own question regarding the effectiveness of mandatory face coverings, whereby consistently high case rates haven't been seen where they are mandated.

30 Nov 2021, 1:01 pm #33
(30 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm)Adrian But to answer your question, i.e. "if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not"

Oh, that comment about the face coverings was said in jest!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 1:01 pm #33

(30 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm)Adrian But to answer your question, i.e. "if masks were as great as they're made out to be then why are all the countries that mandate them having massive surges yet we're not"

Oh, that comment about the face coverings was said in jest!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

30 Nov 2021, 4:45 pm #34

There is no natural immunity to a virus that is not natural.
54APhotography
30 Nov 2021, 4:45 pm #34

There is no natural immunity to a virus that is not natural.

30 Nov 2021, 6:36 pm #35
(30 Nov 2021, 4:45 pm)54APhotography There is no natural immunity to a virus that is not natural.

Don't you bloody start with the conspiracy stuff! Wink
streetdeckfan
30 Nov 2021, 6:36 pm #35

(30 Nov 2021, 4:45 pm)54APhotography There is no natural immunity to a virus that is not natural.

Don't you bloody start with the conspiracy stuff! Wink

30 Nov 2021, 6:58 pm #36
Haha, no conspiracy, just fact. The type of fact that comes with a D notice and 50 year lock..
54APhotography
30 Nov 2021, 6:58 pm #36

Haha, no conspiracy, just fact. The type of fact that comes with a D notice and 50 year lock..

Keeiajs

30 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm #37
I have been on 6 buses today, 2 most if not everyone were wearing masks, the other 4 maybe 3 or 4 of about 30.
Keeiajs
30 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm #37

I have been on 6 buses today, 2 most if not everyone were wearing masks, the other 4 maybe 3 or 4 of about 30.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average