Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Destination Displays

Destination Displays

Destination Displays

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next
Rob44

12 Dec 2021, 4:23 pm #21
Please alight by middle doors seem a straightforward request to me? And i remember GNE drivers tell customers that when the dual doors buses were on the 21!!
Rob44
12 Dec 2021, 4:23 pm #21

Please alight by middle doors seem a straightforward request to me? And i remember GNE drivers tell customers that when the dual doors buses were on the 21!!

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Dec 2021, 4:27 pm #22
(12 Dec 2021, 3:39 pm)Rob44 No idea but all the buses i used have the information screens and were showing what tickets you could buy, telling about the cap if you used the same debit/credit card for all journeys, information about the extension of the trams, what buses you need to get to specific place ( like the XX to the zoo or the YY to the castle. pleasant drivers who were happy to see you and said goodbye when you alighted. Great service.

To be fair, you get most of this on a Go North East bus (those fitted with next stop announcements, anyway).

Be under no illusion that away from the main core network, Lothian have older buses without all the bells and whistles too, just like Go North East.

Appreciate other operators in the North East are lacking with this level of information on their screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
12 Dec 2021, 4:27 pm #22

(12 Dec 2021, 3:39 pm)Rob44 No idea but all the buses i used have the information screens and were showing what tickets you could buy, telling about the cap if you used the same debit/credit card for all journeys, information about the extension of the trams, what buses you need to get to specific place ( like the XX to the zoo or the YY to the castle. pleasant drivers who were happy to see you and said goodbye when you alighted. Great service.

To be fair, you get most of this on a Go North East bus (those fitted with next stop announcements, anyway).

Be under no illusion that away from the main core network, Lothian have older buses without all the bells and whistles too, just like Go North East.

Appreciate other operators in the North East are lacking with this level of information on their screens.

Rob44

12 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm #23
(12 Dec 2021, 4:27 pm)Dan To be fair, you get most of this on a Go North East bus (those fitted with next stop announcements, anyway).

the main GNE buses i use dan are the 28a and 28b and the 29 so you can imagine the lothain buses i used to get around were positively luxurious
Rob44
12 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm #23

(12 Dec 2021, 4:27 pm)Dan To be fair, you get most of this on a Go North East bus (those fitted with next stop announcements, anyway).

the main GNE buses i use dan are the 28a and 28b and the 29 so you can imagine the lothain buses i used to get around were positively luxurious

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm #24
(12 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm)Rob44 the main GNE buses i use dan are the 28a and 28b and the 29 so you can imagine the lothain buses i used to get around were positively luxurious

I can imagine, yes. These are the type of routes which made little to no profit pre-Covid and are likely to be hugely loss-making right now.

Lothian have routes like this themselves, where lower specification buses are allocated. Comparing apples with pears really!

Until just recently, Lothian were running 57/08-plate buses on frontline work which had no bells and whistles. The Versa used on the 28 were of an equal/higher specification (as the Lothian buses didn’t have Wi-Fi).

I love Edinburgh and very regularly visit - after a few times you can see it’s not as great as it’s made out to be, or how it feels once you’ve used a few buses in and out of Princes Street.

Dan
12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm #24

(12 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm)Rob44 the main GNE buses i use dan are the 28a and 28b and the 29 so you can imagine the lothain buses i used to get around were positively luxurious

I can imagine, yes. These are the type of routes which made little to no profit pre-Covid and are likely to be hugely loss-making right now.

Lothian have routes like this themselves, where lower specification buses are allocated. Comparing apples with pears really!

Until just recently, Lothian were running 57/08-plate buses on frontline work which had no bells and whistles. The Versa used on the 28 were of an equal/higher specification (as the Lothian buses didn’t have Wi-Fi).

I love Edinburgh and very regularly visit - after a few times you can see it’s not as great as it’s made out to be, or how it feels once you’ve used a few buses in and out of Princes Street.

Rob44

12 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm #25
(12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm)Dan I can imagine, yes. These are the type of routes which made little to no profit pre-Covid and are likely to be hugely loss-making right now.

to be fair  i stayed a cameron toll which is on a busy route into the centre, its near the new hospital i think and has a number of different services serving the route. . but once again i have to say i traveled almost a dozen time's over the 3 days and all the buses were great. Bus stops also had real time information ( which they've had for years)  and also the buses were very clean. only let down was that the bus stop to get on and the one to get off were both " out of use" due to covid so had to walk quite a distance to a bus stop with no shelter but i blame wee jimmy for that.

Getting back to the Diversion sing on screen though i can imagine it being confusing if there were no information to go with it but on all the buses i travel on there was so it made perfect sense to me  and the " none bus enthusiast Mrs" who was with me so it obviously works !
Rob44
12 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm #25

(12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm)Dan I can imagine, yes. These are the type of routes which made little to no profit pre-Covid and are likely to be hugely loss-making right now.

to be fair  i stayed a cameron toll which is on a busy route into the centre, its near the new hospital i think and has a number of different services serving the route. . but once again i have to say i traveled almost a dozen time's over the 3 days and all the buses were great. Bus stops also had real time information ( which they've had for years)  and also the buses were very clean. only let down was that the bus stop to get on and the one to get off were both " out of use" due to covid so had to walk quite a distance to a bus stop with no shelter but i blame wee jimmy for that.

Getting back to the Diversion sing on screen though i can imagine it being confusing if there were no information to go with it but on all the buses i travel on there was so it made perfect sense to me  and the " none bus enthusiast Mrs" who was with me so it obviously works !

ne14ne1

12 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm #26
Surely the ‘route diversion’ wording/symbol is displayed from the very beginning of the route so that all passengers boarding can ask the driver if they are unaware of the diverted route.
ne14ne1
12 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm #26

Surely the ‘route diversion’ wording/symbol is displayed from the very beginning of the route so that all passengers boarding can ask the driver if they are unaware of the diverted route.

citaro5284

12 Dec 2021, 5:21 pm #27
(12 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm)ne14ne1 Surely the ‘route diversion’ wording/symbol is displayed from the very beginning of the route so that all passengers boarding can ask the driver if they are unaware of the diverted route.

You could have a bus say leave Consett and by the time they get to the Redheugh Bridge there is an accident on it and it needs to be diverted say across the Tyne Bridge and miss out Central Station, but when the bus left Consett, nothing was wrong.
citaro5284
12 Dec 2021, 5:21 pm #27

(12 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm)ne14ne1 Surely the ‘route diversion’ wording/symbol is displayed from the very beginning of the route so that all passengers boarding can ask the driver if they are unaware of the diverted route.

You could have a bus say leave Consett and by the time they get to the Redheugh Bridge there is an accident on it and it needs to be diverted say across the Tyne Bridge and miss out Central Station, but when the bus left Consett, nothing was wrong.

Rob44

12 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm #28
so are we saying the picture shows a bus traveling to town with an incident that has occurred on route that wasn't expected or was it showing that due to a raod been closed that they knew of in advance. be nice to know the context of the photo?
Rob44
12 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm #28

so are we saying the picture shows a bus traveling to town with an incident that has occurred on route that wasn't expected or was it showing that due to a raod been closed that they knew of in advance. be nice to know the context of the photo?

mb134

12 Dec 2021, 5:32 pm #29
(12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm)Dan Until just recently, Lothian were running 57/08-plate buses on frontline work which had no bells and whistles. The Versa used on the 28 were of an equal/higher specification (as the Lothian buses didn’t have Wi-Fi).

You seem to be suggesting 57/08-plate bare bones buses shouldn't be on frontline work, while all 3 big NE operators use older stock on frontline work daily with zero creature comforts?

On the point of "you can see it’s not as great as it’s made out to be" - I've used Lothian's services quite a bit, particularly when I was living up in Scotland. The bus has always been well presented (even if I don't like the colours in the livery/interior), generally bang on time, and got me to where I need to go for a reasonable price. They seem to give a lot of attention to the basics of bus travel, which is appreciated by everyone I know who lives in Edinburgh and relies on their services. Maybe if NE operators gave as much attention to the basics as Lothian do, they wouldn't constantly be crying out over low passenger numbers...
mb134
12 Dec 2021, 5:32 pm #29

(12 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm)Dan Until just recently, Lothian were running 57/08-plate buses on frontline work which had no bells and whistles. The Versa used on the 28 were of an equal/higher specification (as the Lothian buses didn’t have Wi-Fi).

You seem to be suggesting 57/08-plate bare bones buses shouldn't be on frontline work, while all 3 big NE operators use older stock on frontline work daily with zero creature comforts?

On the point of "you can see it’s not as great as it’s made out to be" - I've used Lothian's services quite a bit, particularly when I was living up in Scotland. The bus has always been well presented (even if I don't like the colours in the livery/interior), generally bang on time, and got me to where I need to go for a reasonable price. They seem to give a lot of attention to the basics of bus travel, which is appreciated by everyone I know who lives in Edinburgh and relies on their services. Maybe if NE operators gave as much attention to the basics as Lothian do, they wouldn't constantly be crying out over low passenger numbers...

ne14ne1

12 Dec 2021, 8:16 pm #30
(12 Dec 2021, 5:21 pm)citaro5284 You could have a bus say leave Consett and by the time they get to the Redheugh Bridge there is an accident on it and it needs to be diverted say across the Tyne Bridge and miss out Central Station, but when the bus left Consett, nothing was wrong.

Well that’s different, that’s an unplanned thing. You wouldn’t need anything on the destination screen for that as during its diversion over the Tyne Bridge you aren’t going to have people trying to flag it down, (or you shouldn’t as that bus number wouldn’t be listed on their bus stop).
Passengers already onboard will be able to see there was an incident or the driver ideally would explain they’re going to have to divert.

Surely the whole point of a diversion symbol on the destination screen (from the beginning of the route) is to notify people boarding that there is a planned diversion and they should check if they need to alight at a different stop to usual, should the bus be rerouted away from their normal stop.
ne14ne1
12 Dec 2021, 8:16 pm #30

(12 Dec 2021, 5:21 pm)citaro5284 You could have a bus say leave Consett and by the time they get to the Redheugh Bridge there is an accident on it and it needs to be diverted say across the Tyne Bridge and miss out Central Station, but when the bus left Consett, nothing was wrong.

Well that’s different, that’s an unplanned thing. You wouldn’t need anything on the destination screen for that as during its diversion over the Tyne Bridge you aren’t going to have people trying to flag it down, (or you shouldn’t as that bus number wouldn’t be listed on their bus stop).
Passengers already onboard will be able to see there was an incident or the driver ideally would explain they’re going to have to divert.

Surely the whole point of a diversion symbol on the destination screen (from the beginning of the route) is to notify people boarding that there is a planned diversion and they should check if they need to alight at a different stop to usual, should the bus be rerouted away from their normal stop.

13 Dec 2021, 7:33 am #31
(11 Dec 2021, 6:31 pm)S813 FVK Go North East appear to be giving the 'On Diversion' a go:

[Image: 51739338781_e64beb396c_w.jpg]Go North East 6363/NK70 BYN by Garry McLeary, on Flickr

As one would expect, pretty clear on these displays. Would be interested to see how it's being done on the regular single-screen displays. Lothian have had to reduce theirs down to a symbol tucked to the side with no text.

I took this a few weeks ago showing what it's like on a single height, flicks between this and the standard destination like it does when "full bus" is selected.

[Image: 7d27cf5d1ee3e644bbdc699d607c60a578b7f5bf.jpg]
deanmachine
13 Dec 2021, 7:33 am #31

(11 Dec 2021, 6:31 pm)S813 FVK Go North East appear to be giving the 'On Diversion' a go:

[Image: 51739338781_e64beb396c_w.jpg]Go North East 6363/NK70 BYN by Garry McLeary, on Flickr

As one would expect, pretty clear on these displays. Would be interested to see how it's being done on the regular single-screen displays. Lothian have had to reduce theirs down to a symbol tucked to the side with no text.

I took this a few weeks ago showing what it's like on a single height, flicks between this and the standard destination like it does when "full bus" is selected.

ne14ne1

13 Dec 2021, 9:16 am #32
(13 Dec 2021, 7:33 am)deanmachine I took this a few weeks ago showing what it's like on a single height, flicks between this and the standard destination like it does when "full bus" is selected.

That’s good. Nice and clear.
ne14ne1
13 Dec 2021, 9:16 am #32

(13 Dec 2021, 7:33 am)deanmachine I took this a few weeks ago showing what it's like on a single height, flicks between this and the standard destination like it does when "full bus" is selected.

That’s good. Nice and clear.

Ambassador

14 Dec 2021, 3:05 pm #33

Even at it's worst, Lothian is far far better than any of our operators. 

Less bells and whistles but a far more reliable app, fantastic integration with other transport, actual travelshops (and coffee shops) and excellent value for money.  

Princes St isn't ideal but that's more the workings of the council as opposed to anything Lothian can do. 

Still...suppose they can't play a game of snake and ladders (that's been half ripped off the table) on a Streetdeck so swings in roundabouts....

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
14 Dec 2021, 3:05 pm #33

Even at it's worst, Lothian is far far better than any of our operators. 

Less bells and whistles but a far more reliable app, fantastic integration with other transport, actual travelshops (and coffee shops) and excellent value for money.  

Princes St isn't ideal but that's more the workings of the council as opposed to anything Lothian can do. 

Still...suppose they can't play a game of snake and ladders (that's been half ripped off the table) on a Streetdeck so swings in roundabouts....

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

15 Dec 2021, 7:28 am #34
Aren't Lothian owned by the local councils? In which case, it's not really a fair comparison.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
15 Dec 2021, 7:28 am #34

Aren't Lothian owned by the local councils? In which case, it's not really a fair comparison.

Rob44

15 Dec 2021, 11:48 am #35
(15 Dec 2021, 7:28 am)6049 Aren't Lothian owned by the local councils? In which case, it's not really a fair comparison.

why would that make a difference? Its been pointed out on here that councils can't organza a pee up in a brewery ?
Rob44
15 Dec 2021, 11:48 am #35

(15 Dec 2021, 7:28 am)6049 Aren't Lothian owned by the local councils? In which case, it's not really a fair comparison.

why would that make a difference? Its been pointed out on here that councils can't organza a pee up in a brewery ?

15 Dec 2021, 5:23 pm #36
(15 Dec 2021, 11:48 am)Rob44 why would that make a difference? Its been pointed out on here that councils can't organza a pee up in a brewery ?

(15 Dec 2021, 11:48 am)Rob44 why would that make a difference? Its been pointed out on here that councils can't organza a pee up in a brewery ?

Well when you're factoring in the integration etc if all the public transport is coordinated by a central body who owns next to everything that is being integrated then of course its going to make things easier. Same as TfL really but without the franchising.

15 Dec 2021, 5:23 pm #36

Well when you're factoring in the integration etc if all the public transport is coordinated by a central body who owns next to everything that is being integrated then of course its going to make things easier. Same as TfL really but without the franchising.

ne14ne1

01 Jan 2022, 9:00 am #37
‘Q3 to City Centre’?

https://flic.kr/p/2mUDd6G

Is that Barras Bridge, Eldon Sq, Market St, or Quayside?
ne14ne1
01 Jan 2022, 9:00 am #37

‘Q3 to City Centre’?

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jan 2022, 9:01 am #38
(01 Jan 2022, 9:00 am)ne14ne1 ‘Q3 to City Centre’?

It automatically changes to Newgate Street at Regent Centre (although in this instance it was actually going to Haymarket).

Dan
01 Jan 2022, 9:01 am #38

(01 Jan 2022, 9:00 am)ne14ne1 ‘Q3 to City Centre’?

It automatically changes to Newgate Street at Regent Centre (although in this instance it was actually going to Haymarket).

ne14ne1

01 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm #39
(01 Jan 2022, 9:01 am)Dan It automatically changes to Newgate Street at Regent Centre (although in this instance it was actually going to Haymarket).

What’s the point in having ‘City Centre’ prior to  Regent Centre though?
Surely it’d be useful for those in Great Park etc to know where in the city centre the service will terminate rather than it being a surprise.

Also, did the NSA say it was ‘…to City Centre’?
ne14ne1
01 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm #39

(01 Jan 2022, 9:01 am)Dan It automatically changes to Newgate Street at Regent Centre (although in this instance it was actually going to Haymarket).

What’s the point in having ‘City Centre’ prior to  Regent Centre though?
Surely it’d be useful for those in Great Park etc to know where in the city centre the service will terminate rather than it being a surprise.

RMF1254

02 Jan 2022, 9:48 am #40
(01 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm)ne14ne1 What’s the point in having ‘City Centre’ prior to  Regent Centre though?

I would have thought the residents of Great Park would know where the bus goes in the City Centre. The Nexus information at the stops is pretty good also, showing the route and main stops.
RMF1254
02 Jan 2022, 9:48 am #40

(01 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm)ne14ne1 What’s the point in having ‘City Centre’ prior to  Regent Centre though?

I would have thought the residents of Great Park would know where the bus goes in the City Centre. The Nexus information at the stops is pretty good also, showing the route and main stops.

Pages (6): Previous 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average