Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Jesmond Depot

Jesmond Depot

Jesmond Depot

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (11) Previous 1 2 3 411 Next
mb134

05 Jan 2022, 7:55 pm #41
(05 Jan 2022, 7:34 pm)L469 YVK I wouldn't say it's a suggestion (although I have proposed it as a suggestion previously).

- Given a potential move of the 306 to Blyth = reducing dead mileage

- PVR limits at Blyth = Potential PVR cuts meaning marginal frequency reductions

- Driving hour limits

It's a very valid point regarding the actual move as it would have genuine implications that would need to be considered. That doesn't just go for the 306/308 but other services too whether their interworking pattens would change, frequencies whether they'd remain the same or decrease.

A network re-design (large changes to actual routes etc) would easily fall under service suggestions however Smile

I'm not sure Arriva share your appetite to nuke their Coast Road services. Along with the X21/22, they were amongst the first/only Northumbria services to be put back up to pre-Covid frequencies (ahead of the X10/11 for example) from memory. IMO the only way they reduce Coast Road frequency is if GNE win their electric bid. 

For what it's worth, I'm spending a decent chunk of time every day at the moment in and around Haymarket and both the 306 and 308 are taking decent loads whenever I see them - though I'm aware that's merely a fraction of the overall route.
mb134
05 Jan 2022, 7:55 pm #41

(05 Jan 2022, 7:34 pm)L469 YVK I wouldn't say it's a suggestion (although I have proposed it as a suggestion previously).

- Given a potential move of the 306 to Blyth = reducing dead mileage

- PVR limits at Blyth = Potential PVR cuts meaning marginal frequency reductions

- Driving hour limits

It's a very valid point regarding the actual move as it would have genuine implications that would need to be considered. That doesn't just go for the 306/308 but other services too whether their interworking pattens would change, frequencies whether they'd remain the same or decrease.

A network re-design (large changes to actual routes etc) would easily fall under service suggestions however Smile

I'm not sure Arriva share your appetite to nuke their Coast Road services. Along with the X21/22, they were amongst the first/only Northumbria services to be put back up to pre-Covid frequencies (ahead of the X10/11 for example) from memory. IMO the only way they reduce Coast Road frequency is if GNE win their electric bid. 

For what it's worth, I'm spending a decent chunk of time every day at the moment in and around Haymarket and both the 306 and 308 are taking decent loads whenever I see them - though I'm aware that's merely a fraction of the overall route.

V514DFT

05 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm #42
Where abouts in Walkergate is the new depot going to be?

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
05 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm #42

Where abouts in Walkergate is the new depot going to be?

Kind Regards
Tez

N391OTY

06 Jan 2022, 12:14 am #43
(05 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm)V514DFT Where abouts in Walkergate is the new depot going to be?

A very good question !!

Walkergate geographically is a very small area. Move within a quarter of a mile in any direction of Walkergate Metro station and you've left Walkergate, and are in Byker or Heaton or Walkerville or Walker. The only sites I can think of are

1. an area of wasteland on Benfield Road directly opposite the end of Appletree Gardens. That is adjacent to Benfield Park hospital and health centre, but I doubt the NHS would be impressed with the pollution from ancient minibuses drifting into their grounds. Mind you, they already have to contend with noise and pollution from the nearby Heaton railway depot and sidings.

2. areas of wasteland on both sides of Shields Road near the Siemens (Parsons) works. Arguably, these areas are probably in Byker anyway, being close to where the old Newcastle Corporation Byker bus depot used to be.

3. a corner of the yard in the Stagecoach Walkergate depot.

My money is on option 3 given Arriva's reluctance to spend unnecessary money at the moment, and could be attractive to Stagecoach as well, if ever they wanted a few more local services to take over in the Newcastle area. All this assumes that the new depot is only for minibuses, of course.
N391OTY
06 Jan 2022, 12:14 am #43

(05 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm)V514DFT Where abouts in Walkergate is the new depot going to be?

A very good question !!

Walkergate geographically is a very small area. Move within a quarter of a mile in any direction of Walkergate Metro station and you've left Walkergate, and are in Byker or Heaton or Walkerville or Walker. The only sites I can think of are

1. an area of wasteland on Benfield Road directly opposite the end of Appletree Gardens. That is adjacent to Benfield Park hospital and health centre, but I doubt the NHS would be impressed with the pollution from ancient minibuses drifting into their grounds. Mind you, they already have to contend with noise and pollution from the nearby Heaton railway depot and sidings.

2. areas of wasteland on both sides of Shields Road near the Siemens (Parsons) works. Arguably, these areas are probably in Byker anyway, being close to where the old Newcastle Corporation Byker bus depot used to be.

My money is on option 3 given Arriva's reluctance to spend unnecessary money at the moment, and could be attractive to Stagecoach as well, if ever they wanted a few more local services to take over in the Newcastle area. All this assumes that the new depot is only for minibuses, of course.

L469 YVK

06 Jan 2022, 12:17 am #44
(05 Jan 2022, 7:55 pm)mb134 I'm not sure Arriva share your appetite to nuke their Coast Road services. Along with the X21/22, they were amongst the first/only Northumbria services to be put back up to pre-Covid frequencies (ahead of the X10/11 for example) from memory. IMO the only way they reduce Coast Road frequency is if GNE win their electric bid. 

It will all be a numbers game whatever is changed as a result. Either things will stay largely the same give or take some small and or behind the scenes changes. Or the depot move will be the start of a major network refresh similar to GNE had in Sept 2021. But Arriva whilst cutting PVRs do have the ability to actually 'improve' rather than make outright cuts. Some 'deadwood' services mopped up and merged into more streamlined, profitable and improved services.

But going back to 2014, would it not have been easier merging the Blyth & Ashington depots into a new superdepot in Bedlington or Cambois; additionally with an outstation in Alnwick for a small number of routes up that way?
L469 YVK
06 Jan 2022, 12:17 am #44

(05 Jan 2022, 7:55 pm)mb134 I'm not sure Arriva share your appetite to nuke their Coast Road services. Along with the X21/22, they were amongst the first/only Northumbria services to be put back up to pre-Covid frequencies (ahead of the X10/11 for example) from memory. IMO the only way they reduce Coast Road frequency is if GNE win their electric bid. 

It will all be a numbers game whatever is changed as a result. Either things will stay largely the same give or take some small and or behind the scenes changes. Or the depot move will be the start of a major network refresh similar to GNE had in Sept 2021. But Arriva whilst cutting PVRs do have the ability to actually 'improve' rather than make outright cuts. Some 'deadwood' services mopped up and merged into more streamlined, profitable and improved services.

But going back to 2014, would it not have been easier merging the Blyth & Ashington depots into a new superdepot in Bedlington or Cambois; additionally with an outstation in Alnwick for a small number of routes up that way?

Bazza

06 Jan 2022, 1:30 am #45
Let’s just throw this into the mix:

I heard that the new Walkergate depot was for both mini buses and electric buses.

So rather than all none mini bus services going to Blyth, maybe some will be staying at Walkergate but upgraded to electric.
Bazza
06 Jan 2022, 1:30 am #45

Let’s just throw this into the mix:

I heard that the new Walkergate depot was for both mini buses and electric buses.

So rather than all none mini bus services going to Blyth, maybe some will be staying at Walkergate but upgraded to electric.

Chris 1

06 Jan 2022, 12:26 pm #46
(06 Jan 2022, 12:14 am)N391OTY A very good question !!

Number 3 is an interesting thought, though not sure on space constraints. I'm sure back when quality contracts were first mooted, there were suggestions of shared depots back then?

Anyone know if the new depot will be owned and built by Arriva, or owned by a third party and Arriva's to use?
Chris 1
06 Jan 2022, 12:26 pm #46

Number 3 is an interesting thought, though not sure on space constraints. I'm sure back when quality contracts were first mooted, there were suggestions of shared depots back then?

Anyone know if the new depot will be owned and built by Arriva, or owned by a third party and Arriva's to use?

peter

06 Jan 2022, 1:11 pm #47
(06 Jan 2022, 1:30 am)Bazza Let’s just throw this into the mix:

That would make more sense as far as the PVR issues. The new depot would then have a more substantial PVR than just 11 or so Solo's and it would ease the pressure on Blyth meaning they can take on the rest of Jesmond's services and only lose the 1/2 to Ashington.
peter
06 Jan 2022, 1:11 pm #47

(06 Jan 2022, 1:30 am)Bazza Let’s just throw this into the mix:

That would make more sense as far as the PVR issues. The new depot would then have a more substantial PVR than just 11 or so Solo's and it would ease the pressure on Blyth meaning they can take on the rest of Jesmond's services and only lose the 1/2 to Ashington.

V514DFT

06 Jan 2022, 5:20 pm #48

I reckon your Option 2 might be a decent shout,is that that massive derelict site that runs right upto the back of Byker ASDA?

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
06 Jan 2022, 5:20 pm #48

I reckon your Option 2 might be a decent shout,is that that massive derelict site that runs right upto the back of Byker ASDA?

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm #49

I'm not sure how easy it would be to work with (or demolish) but I have a feeling that it might be on the old Heaton Track Maintenance Depot found here - https://goo.gl/maps/aAoKSdyQ5rKWs6dXA

I have a feeling both that and Blyth are short term anyway until a proper depot is built somewhere with them merged but they don't want to spend the money I assume until Blyth is sold. It's literally in the plans for Blyth Town Centre so has to move.

The redevelopment just seems to be knocking a roof down and putting a fence up give or take anyway.
Storx
06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm #49

I'm not sure how easy it would be to work with (or demolish) but I have a feeling that it might be on the old Heaton Track Maintenance Depot found here - https://goo.gl/maps/aAoKSdyQ5rKWs6dXA

I have a feeling both that and Blyth are short term anyway until a proper depot is built somewhere with them merged but they don't want to spend the money I assume until Blyth is sold. It's literally in the plans for Blyth Town Centre so has to move.

The redevelopment just seems to be knocking a roof down and putting a fence up give or take anyway.

ne14ne1

06 Jan 2022, 6:54 pm #50
(06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)Storx I'm not sure how easy it would be to work with (or demolish) but I have a feeling that it might be on the old Heaton Track Maintenance Depot found here - https://goo.gl/maps/aAoKSdyQ5rKWs6dXA

That old carriage shed is full of asbestos.
ne14ne1
06 Jan 2022, 6:54 pm #50

(06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)Storx I'm not sure how easy it would be to work with (or demolish) but I have a feeling that it might be on the old Heaton Track Maintenance Depot found here - https://goo.gl/maps/aAoKSdyQ5rKWs6dXA

That old carriage shed is full of asbestos.

peter

06 Jan 2022, 7:21 pm #51

(06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)Storx I have a feeling both that and Blyth are short term anyway until a proper depot is built somewhere with them merged but they don't want to spend the money I assume until Blyth is sold. It's literally in the plans for Blyth Town Centre so has to move.

This is a long-shot but perhaps a deal will be struck between Arriva and Stagecoach that sees Stagecoach gain the 685, and Arriva store the 11 or so Solo's needed for the minibus work at Walkergate depot short-term. Then eventually the Blyth-Newcastle super depot will be constructed?
peter
06 Jan 2022, 7:21 pm #51

(06 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)Storx I have a feeling both that and Blyth are short term anyway until a proper depot is built somewhere with them merged but they don't want to spend the money I assume until Blyth is sold. It's literally in the plans for Blyth Town Centre so has to move.

This is a long-shot but perhaps a deal will be struck between Arriva and Stagecoach that sees Stagecoach gain the 685, and Arriva store the 11 or so Solo's needed for the minibus work at Walkergate depot short-term. Then eventually the Blyth-Newcastle super depot will be constructed?

RobinHood

08 Jan 2022, 8:07 am #52
The new depot will be built on the land to the west of Siemens, adj to Chilli Rd metro station. Drivers will use the metro to get into town for relief.
RobinHood
08 Jan 2022, 8:07 am #52

The new depot will be built on the land to the west of Siemens, adj to Chilli Rd metro station. Drivers will use the metro to get into town for relief.

ne14ne1

08 Jan 2022, 10:50 am #53
(08 Jan 2022, 8:07 am)RobinHood The new depot will be built on the land to the west of Siemens, adj to Chilli Rd metro station. Drivers will use the metro to get into town for relief.

Part of that plot is being used by Quay Timber. I wonder if they vacate or Arriva just use the part of it that’s left.
ne14ne1
08 Jan 2022, 10:50 am #53

(08 Jan 2022, 8:07 am)RobinHood The new depot will be built on the land to the west of Siemens, adj to Chilli Rd metro station. Drivers will use the metro to get into town for relief.

Part of that plot is being used by Quay Timber. I wonder if they vacate or Arriva just use the part of it that’s left.

busmanT

08 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm #54
(08 Jan 2022, 10:50 am)ne14ne1 Part of that plot is being used by Quay Timber. I wonder if they vacate or Arriva just use the part of it that’s left.
If, as suggested, there are only going to be about a dozen vehicles at this new depot then actually building a depot seems overkill - a dozen buses is more like a rented yard.
busmanT
08 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm #54

(08 Jan 2022, 10:50 am)ne14ne1 Part of that plot is being used by Quay Timber. I wonder if they vacate or Arriva just use the part of it that’s left.
If, as suggested, there are only going to be about a dozen vehicles at this new depot then actually building a depot seems overkill - a dozen buses is more like a rented yard.

RobinHood

08 Jan 2022, 3:11 pm #55
(08 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm)busmanT If, as suggested, there are only going to be about a dozen vehicles at this new depot then actually building a depot seems overkill - a dozen buses is more like a rented yard.

Staff info suggests the PVR will be around 30.
RobinHood
08 Jan 2022, 3:11 pm #55

(08 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm)busmanT If, as suggested, there are only going to be about a dozen vehicles at this new depot then actually building a depot seems overkill - a dozen buses is more like a rented yard.

Staff info suggests the PVR will be around 30.

peter

08 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm #56
(08 Jan 2022, 3:11 pm)RobinHood Staff info suggests the PVR will be around 30.

So clearly not just the minibus network as rumoured.
peter
08 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm #56

(08 Jan 2022, 3:11 pm)RobinHood Staff info suggests the PVR will be around 30.

So clearly not just the minibus network as rumoured.

Storx

08 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm #57
(08 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm)peter So clearly not just the minibus network as rumoured.

Unless the 50's get downgraded. Would be very close to 30 including spares then. The 52/53 used to be minibuses anyway for years until they went to Jesmond. 340/342/343/344
Storx
08 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm #57

(08 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm)peter So clearly not just the minibus network as rumoured.

Unless the 50's get downgraded. Would be very close to 30 including spares then. The 52/53 used to be minibuses anyway for years until they went to Jesmond. 340/342/343/344

peter

08 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm #58
(08 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm)Storx Unless the 50's get downgraded. Would be very close to 30 including spares then. The 52/53 used to be minibuses anyway for years until they went to Jesmond. 340/342/343/344

Entirely possible I suppose, only issue is there wouldn't be enough Solo's to execute that. Perhaps the Eco Green Streetlites will be allocated to the new depot for the 52/53/54.
peter
08 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm #58

(08 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm)Storx Unless the 50's get downgraded. Would be very close to 30 including spares then. The 52/53 used to be minibuses anyway for years until they went to Jesmond. 340/342/343/344

Entirely possible I suppose, only issue is there wouldn't be enough Solo's to execute that. Perhaps the Eco Green Streetlites will be allocated to the new depot for the 52/53/54.

Bazza

08 Jan 2022, 10:29 pm #59

Surprised that Arriva would rely on the Metro to get its drivers to where they need to be

(08 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm)peter Entirely possible I suppose, only issue is there wouldn't be enough Solo's to execute that. Perhaps the Eco Green Streetlites will be allocated to the new depot for the 52/53/54.

not just a minibus depot then?
Edited 08 Jan 2022, 10:35 pm by Bazza.
Bazza
08 Jan 2022, 10:29 pm #59

Surprised that Arriva would rely on the Metro to get its drivers to where they need to be

(08 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm)peter Entirely possible I suppose, only issue is there wouldn't be enough Solo's to execute that. Perhaps the Eco Green Streetlites will be allocated to the new depot for the 52/53/54.

peter

08 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm #60
(08 Jan 2022, 10:29 pm)Bazza

Well a rumoured PVR of 30 doesn't add up when the minibus PVR at Jesmond is currently 11. So there are three options, either there's gonna be a minibus downgrade (but that would involve some Solo's coming from Durham or Darlington), the depot won't just be minibus or it's also been rumoured the depot will be minibus and electric so there could be 15 odd electric's on the way.
peter
08 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm #60

(08 Jan 2022, 10:29 pm)Bazza

Well a rumoured PVR of 30 doesn't add up when the minibus PVR at Jesmond is currently 11. So there are three options, either there's gonna be a minibus downgrade (but that would involve some Solo's coming from Durham or Darlington), the depot won't just be minibus or it's also been rumoured the depot will be minibus and electric so there could be 15 odd electric's on the way.

Pages (11) Previous 1 2 3 411 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average