Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Railways in General

Railways in General

Railways in General

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6
Andreos1

02 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm #101
(02 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm)Malarkey Does anyone with a knowledge of trains know if it would be possible to have a train go from Newcastle to London via Oxford.

Just curious as I was thinking of going to Oxford in a few weeks but LNER seems to suggest going into King's Cross then across to Paddington Station and get on the GWR to Oxford which seems a bit of chore to get there.

CrossCountry direct to Oxford and then either GWR or Chiltern from there.

Done that trip many a time.

It's possible to pick up the X39/X40 from Oxford to Reading if you fancied mixing it up a bit.
Quite an enjoyable journey.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Sep 2021, 8:44 pm #101

(02 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm)Malarkey Does anyone with a knowledge of trains know if it would be possible to have a train go from Newcastle to London via Oxford.

Just curious as I was thinking of going to Oxford in a few weeks but LNER seems to suggest going into King's Cross then across to Paddington Station and get on the GWR to Oxford which seems a bit of chore to get there.

CrossCountry direct to Oxford and then either GWR or Chiltern from there.

Done that trip many a time.

It's possible to pick up the X39/X40 from Oxford to Reading if you fancied mixing it up a bit.
Quite an enjoyable journey.

02 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm #102
XC aren’t currently running the direct Newcastle - South Coast (Southampton / Bournemouth trains) and are sticking to an hourly service towards Bristol and the South West* You’d have to change at Birmingham New Street for Oxford, to get these times you’d have to play with the settings to allow slower trains. A Newcastle to London ticket wouldn’t be valid on this route though so you’d still need separate tickets

*except for a couple of additional services to Birmingham / Banbury
anvil1984
02 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm #102

XC aren’t currently running the direct Newcastle - South Coast (Southampton / Bournemouth trains) and are sticking to an hourly service towards Bristol and the South West* You’d have to change at Birmingham New Street for Oxford, to get these times you’d have to play with the settings to allow slower trains. A Newcastle to London ticket wouldn’t be valid on this route though so you’d still need separate tickets

Andreos1

02 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #103
(02 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm)anvil1984 XC aren’t currently running the direct Newcastle - South Coast (Southampton / Bournemouth trains) and are sticking to an hourly service towards Bristol and the South West* You’d have to change at Birmingham New Street for Oxford, to get these times you’d have to play with the settings to allow slower trains. A Newcastle to London ticket wouldn’t be valid on this route though so you’d still need separate tickets

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/cor...le-updates

So it is. Never realised or knew that was the case!

Andreos1
02 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm #103

(02 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm)anvil1984 XC aren’t currently running the direct Newcastle - South Coast (Southampton / Bournemouth trains) and are sticking to an hourly service towards Bristol and the South West* You’d have to change at Birmingham New Street for Oxford, to get these times you’d have to play with the settings to allow slower trains. A Newcastle to London ticket wouldn’t be valid on this route though so you’d still need separate tickets

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/cor...le-updates

So it is. Never realised or knew that was the case!

03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am #104
Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London. Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.
Ianthegoon
03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am #104

Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London. Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.

Jimmi

03 Sep 2021, 7:42 am #105
(03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am)Ianthegoon Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London. Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.

Almost every time I have looked at the likes of Reading I have found that via London with transfers (Tube usually) work out cheaper and faster with or without split ticketing.

I have Train Pal app for split ticketing, if you want a £3 off voucher then use my referral link: d7f90129 *wink, wink, nudge, nudge (I also get a £3 off voucher with each referral so help a brother out)
Jimmi
03 Sep 2021, 7:42 am #105

(03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am)Ianthegoon Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London. Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.

Almost every time I have looked at the likes of Reading I have found that via London with transfers (Tube usually) work out cheaper and faster with or without split ticketing.

I have Train Pal app for split ticketing, if you want a £3 off voucher then use my referral link: d7f90129 *wink, wink, nudge, nudge (I also get a £3 off voucher with each referral so help a brother out)

Andreos1

03 Sep 2021, 12:04 pm #106
(03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am)Ianthegoon Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London.  Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.

I always used to get a return that allowed using the via London or Birmingham routes.
Was only ever a couple of quid more, but allowed for flexibility incase of meetings being delayed, disruption and a little bit of gricing if time allowed.

As for split ticketing - can't remember what the exact details are south of Birmingham, but a return to York, return York to Sheffield, return Sheffield to Derby and then Derby - Birmingham always saves a small fortune.

Andreos1
03 Sep 2021, 12:04 pm #106

(03 Sep 2021, 7:15 am)Ianthegoon Bear in mind that Cross-Country tend to charge high prices for fares that they set, so it may work out a fair bit cheaper to go via London.  Alternatively use a fare-splitting site to bring the price down - Trainsplit is one such site that I've seen recommended.

I always used to get a return that allowed using the via London or Birmingham routes.
Was only ever a couple of quid more, but allowed for flexibility incase of meetings being delayed, disruption and a little bit of gricing if time allowed.

As for split ticketing - can't remember what the exact details are south of Birmingham, but a return to York, return York to Sheffield, return Sheffield to Derby and then Derby - Birmingham always saves a small fortune.

Andreos1

17 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm #107
http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2022...ntractors/

An interesting article, bearing in mind what is going on at Southeastern.

Andreos1
17 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm #107

http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2022...ntractors/

Adrian

17 Jan 2022, 8:30 pm #108
(17 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm)Andreos1 http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2022...ntractors/

The link is broken in that article to the Go Ahead Report, it appears to relate to: https://gog-11615-s3.s3.eu-west-2.amazon...igital.pdf

It's probably the kind of presentation I'd have expected to see, but there's a few bits that raise an eyebrow for sure:

Page 4 - "With leisure travel gaining an increasing share of the market, rail can also support vital local economic growth by facilitating domestic tourism. A good example of this is the Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) ‘Discover More’ programme which created close regional collaborations by bringing together local MPs, councils, business groups, tourism organisations and specific sector representatives from locations across their network. Designed to spark ideas, collaboration and solutions to boost local economic priorities, the programme established strong, creative working partnerships to attract visitors to key destinations along the route."

I'm pleased to see the recognition of leisure gaining an increasing share of the market, but it makes you wonder why there isn't more put into areas where operators have 100% control, such as their bus operations? Sure, we've seen things like the introduction of the £1 evening fare up here and the X11 that was axed before the advertised season end-date, but largely speaking, its still incredibly difficult to get around post-6pm by public transport, and you might as well not bother on a Sunday. Why aren't those "close regional collaborations" happening in the bus market, and if they are, when do we start seeing some evidence of it? 

Page 5 - "There is little doubt that one of the reasons for the huge passenger growth of recent decades is that train operators have had a degree of freedom to come up with new products and services to attract customers. The new industry structures need to retain an incentive regime that encourages operators to continue to do that. Station retail, for example, has changed significantly in recent years with a much more varied choice of products and services available. You want order a coffee on an app and collect as you jump on the train at Brighton?"

This is complete nonsense and it almost sounds like it's come verbatim out of the mouth of a design consultant. More people aren't travelling on the train because they can order a coffee on an app, that there's a new menu on LNER or to visit a craft beer shop at Brighton station. Its out of necessity. Although a couple of years out of date, this article is a good read: https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2018/11/...-rail.html

I do agree with the move away from generic shops in rail stations, at least to a mix of independent and national retailers, but I just cannot see anything to support the claim that it is growing patronage on the railways. I'd suggest people use those shops because they're there (and we've all been there!); not because they're going there specifically for them. 

Page 8 talks about Train operations in a net-zero world, and I agree with a lot of it, but I'd argue this isn't an area that the private sector can ever lead in. It needs decisive Government policy and can't be allowed to become another opportunity for operators to make a quick buck. Going back to bus operations, where some of these transport operators do have 100% control, we've already seen a reluctance to invest in zero-emissions unless there's a Government hand-out on the table. 

I found this quote on page 9 to be a bit interesting to say the least - "The private sector provides high-level professional challenge to train operators to help them drive down costs. Private sector owners set exacting targets, and challenge management on a daily basis. They are able, at times, to make tough decisions that can pose political challenges if taken directly by Government." Is this an offer to become private, unaccountable, asset strippers for the Government? Whilst I don't think any of us are daft enough to pretend they don't happen, its surprising to see it suggested that they'll take unaccountable decisions on the Government's behalf.

Of course, we could also talk about the success of 'driving down costs' on the Intercity East Coast Franchise...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
17 Jan 2022, 8:30 pm #108

(17 Jan 2022, 6:25 pm)Andreos1 http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2022...ntractors/

The link is broken in that article to the Go Ahead Report, it appears to relate to: https://gog-11615-s3.s3.eu-west-2.amazon...igital.pdf

It's probably the kind of presentation I'd have expected to see, but there's a few bits that raise an eyebrow for sure:

Page 4 - "With leisure travel gaining an increasing share of the market, rail can also support vital local economic growth by facilitating domestic tourism. A good example of this is the Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) ‘Discover More’ programme which created close regional collaborations by bringing together local MPs, councils, business groups, tourism organisations and specific sector representatives from locations across their network. Designed to spark ideas, collaboration and solutions to boost local economic priorities, the programme established strong, creative working partnerships to attract visitors to key destinations along the route."

I'm pleased to see the recognition of leisure gaining an increasing share of the market, but it makes you wonder why there isn't more put into areas where operators have 100% control, such as their bus operations? Sure, we've seen things like the introduction of the £1 evening fare up here and the X11 that was axed before the advertised season end-date, but largely speaking, its still incredibly difficult to get around post-6pm by public transport, and you might as well not bother on a Sunday. Why aren't those "close regional collaborations" happening in the bus market, and if they are, when do we start seeing some evidence of it? 

Page 5 - "There is little doubt that one of the reasons for the huge passenger growth of recent decades is that train operators have had a degree of freedom to come up with new products and services to attract customers. The new industry structures need to retain an incentive regime that encourages operators to continue to do that. Station retail, for example, has changed significantly in recent years with a much more varied choice of products and services available. You want order a coffee on an app and collect as you jump on the train at Brighton?"

This is complete nonsense and it almost sounds like it's come verbatim out of the mouth of a design consultant. More people aren't travelling on the train because they can order a coffee on an app, that there's a new menu on LNER or to visit a craft beer shop at Brighton station. Its out of necessity. Although a couple of years out of date, this article is a good read: https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2018/11/...-rail.html

I do agree with the move away from generic shops in rail stations, at least to a mix of independent and national retailers, but I just cannot see anything to support the claim that it is growing patronage on the railways. I'd suggest people use those shops because they're there (and we've all been there!); not because they're going there specifically for them. 

Page 8 talks about Train operations in a net-zero world, and I agree with a lot of it, but I'd argue this isn't an area that the private sector can ever lead in. It needs decisive Government policy and can't be allowed to become another opportunity for operators to make a quick buck. Going back to bus operations, where some of these transport operators do have 100% control, we've already seen a reluctance to invest in zero-emissions unless there's a Government hand-out on the table. 

I found this quote on page 9 to be a bit interesting to say the least - "The private sector provides high-level professional challenge to train operators to help them drive down costs. Private sector owners set exacting targets, and challenge management on a daily basis. They are able, at times, to make tough decisions that can pose political challenges if taken directly by Government." Is this an offer to become private, unaccountable, asset strippers for the Government? Whilst I don't think any of us are daft enough to pretend they don't happen, its surprising to see it suggested that they'll take unaccountable decisions on the Government's behalf.

Of course, we could also talk about the success of 'driving down costs' on the Intercity East Coast Franchise...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

03 Mar 2022, 8:02 am #109
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...ansformed/

Plans announced for development of Eaglescliffe Station.

Andreos1
03 Mar 2022, 8:02 am #109

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...ansformed/

Plans announced for development of Eaglescliffe Station.

08 Apr 2022, 9:48 am #110
RMT members at Network Rail and all English train operators except London Overground, Grand Central, Hull Trains and Lumo are being balloted for strike action.

Of course if Network Rail goes, then those above exceptions along with ScotRail, Caledonian Sleeper and TfW will face major disruption too.
omnicity4659
08 Apr 2022, 9:48 am #110

RMT members at Network Rail and all English train operators except London Overground, Grand Central, Hull Trains and Lumo are being balloted for strike action.

Of course if Network Rail goes, then those above exceptions along with ScotRail, Caledonian Sleeper and TfW will face major disruption too.

Andreos1

04 May 2022, 6:36 pm #111
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england...um=custom7&at_custom4=CAEB5980-C967-11EC-8B6B-7CC4923C408C&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+West&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=facebook_page

Interesting. 
Convinced this is the way to go.
Places like Horden, Apperley Bridge and many others in Scotland have the facilities to make this work.
It just needs some joined up thinking.

Andreos1
04 May 2022, 6:36 pm #111

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england...um=custom7&at_custom4=CAEB5980-C967-11EC-8B6B-7CC4923C408C&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+West&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=facebook_page

Interesting. 
Places like Horden, Apperley Bridge and many others in Scotland have the facilities to make this work.

04 May 2022, 6:55 pm #112
Lizzy line opening 24th May! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61095510

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

04 May 2022, 6:55 pm #112

Lizzy line opening 24th May! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61095510

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

Storx

04 May 2022, 8:04 pm #113
(04 May 2022, 6:36 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england...um=custom7&at_custom4=CAEB5980-C967-11EC-8B6B-7CC4923C408C&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+West&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=facebook_page

Interesting. 

The railways need to be better up here imo especially the Durham Coast Line. It's mostly 55 - 60mph South of Sunderland not to mention the diversion around Stockton with a railway station in the total wrong place down there.

It's also mental there's not a station in Hendon and Ryhope in Sunderland, Hart in Hartlepool and Norton in Stockton aswell imo. Massive population areas and the railway line goes straight through.
Storx
04 May 2022, 8:04 pm #113

(04 May 2022, 6:36 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england...um=custom7&at_custom4=CAEB5980-C967-11EC-8B6B-7CC4923C408C&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+West&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=facebook_page

Interesting. 

The railways need to be better up here imo especially the Durham Coast Line. It's mostly 55 - 60mph South of Sunderland not to mention the diversion around Stockton with a railway station in the total wrong place down there.

It's also mental there's not a station in Hendon and Ryhope in Sunderland, Hart in Hartlepool and Norton in Stockton aswell imo. Massive population areas and the railway line goes straight through.

Andreos1

04 May 2022, 8:57 pm #114
(04 May 2022, 8:04 pm)Storx The railways need to be better up here imo especially the Durham Coast Line. It's mostly 55 - 60mph South of Sunderland not to mention the diversion around Stockton with a railway station in the total wrong place down there.

Suppose that's the balance. 
Do you have intermediate stops that are going to slow journeys down or a faster line, to improve journey times?
But, would an integrated network (including ticketing) help fill those gaps?
Buses in to places like Hartlepool, Horden and Seaham - connecting with trains should be a reality - not a crazy vision or unrealistic expectation. 

Not sure what the current signalling situation is on the entire line (think it's still semiphore for chunks around Norton), but I agree the line speed needs to improve.

Andreos1
04 May 2022, 8:57 pm #114

(04 May 2022, 8:04 pm)Storx The railways need to be better up here imo especially the Durham Coast Line. It's mostly 55 - 60mph South of Sunderland not to mention the diversion around Stockton with a railway station in the total wrong place down there.

Suppose that's the balance. 
Do you have intermediate stops that are going to slow journeys down or a faster line, to improve journey times?
Buses in to places like Hartlepool, Horden and Seaham - connecting with trains should be a reality - not a crazy vision or unrealistic expectation. 

Not sure what the current signalling situation is on the entire line (think it's still semiphore for chunks around Norton), but I agree the line speed needs to improve.

Storx

04 May 2022, 9:17 pm #115
(04 May 2022, 8:57 pm)Andreos1 Suppose that's the balance. 

Don't see why they'd need to lose much time if they improved some of it, can't see why it couldn't be 70 mph with upgrades it's not particularly windy.

The big question though if those stations were built and it pushed passengers up to be able to cope with 3 TPH, like the Tyne Valley line, is a slower 3 TPH service better than a slightly faster 1 TPH (I know personally what I'd prefer).

That said Newcastle -> Stockton / Middlesbrough traffic should really be going via Stillington anyway giving a link to Durham in the process, throw in Chester Le Street aswell and give TPE the quicker service, wins all around really plus you could open a station for Ferry Hill acting as a parkway for Sedgefield, Spennymoor etc. Ignoring path issues.
Storx
04 May 2022, 9:17 pm #115

(04 May 2022, 8:57 pm)Andreos1 Suppose that's the balance. 

Don't see why they'd need to lose much time if they improved some of it, can't see why it couldn't be 70 mph with upgrades it's not particularly windy.

The big question though if those stations were built and it pushed passengers up to be able to cope with 3 TPH, like the Tyne Valley line, is a slower 3 TPH service better than a slightly faster 1 TPH (I know personally what I'd prefer).

That said Newcastle -> Stockton / Middlesbrough traffic should really be going via Stillington anyway giving a link to Durham in the process, throw in Chester Le Street aswell and give TPE the quicker service, wins all around really plus you could open a station for Ferry Hill acting as a parkway for Sedgefield, Spennymoor etc. Ignoring path issues.

Andreos1

04 Jul 2022, 1:54 pm #116
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ha...e-62037482

New rail link between Southampton and Portsmouth?

Andreos1
04 Jul 2022, 1:54 pm #116

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ha...e-62037482

New rail link between Southampton and Portsmouth?

Andreos1

27 Jul 2022, 8:23 am #117
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca...e-62309451

East-West rail link 'appears unachievable'

Andreos1
27 Jul 2022, 8:23 am #117

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca...e-62309451

East-West rail link 'appears unachievable'

Andreos1

29 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm #118
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66967170

Oops! Hopefully everyone is OK.

Andreos1
29 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm #118

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66967170

29 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm #119
(29 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66967170

Usual hysterical response these days. A heavy shunt, nothing more, but News peeps want to make it into a 'train crash'...
54APhotography
29 Sep 2023, 9:13 pm #119

(29 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66967170

Usual hysterical response these days. A heavy shunt, nothing more, but News peeps want to make it into a 'train crash'...

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average