Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Blyth & Tyne Line

Blyth & Tyne Line

Blyth & Tyne Line

• 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next
Andreos1

06 May 2014, 4:01 pm #1
Heard an interview earlier on Radio Newcastle.
Interviewing a member of the NCC authority, it was stated that the council are in the early stages, starting investigations into the feasibility, costs and location of stations between Woodhorn and Northumberland Park.

Stations would be of a P&R type, to encourage commuters into using services.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 May 2014, 4:01 pm #1

Heard an interview earlier on Radio Newcastle.
Interviewing a member of the NCC authority, it was stated that the council are in the early stages, starting investigations into the feasibility, costs and location of stations between Woodhorn and Northumberland Park.

MurdnunoC

07 May 2014, 12:58 pm #2
(06 May 2014, 4:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Heard an interview earlier on Radio Newcastle.

But will motorists be persuaded to use P&R type stations to travel over what is a relatively small communing distance? The stations need to be situated within the communities through which the line traverses - not on some out of the way site proposed for future development.
MurdnunoC
07 May 2014, 12:58 pm #2

(06 May 2014, 4:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Heard an interview earlier on Radio Newcastle.

But will motorists be persuaded to use P&R type stations to travel over what is a relatively small communing distance? The stations need to be situated within the communities through which the line traverses - not on some out of the way site proposed for future development.

Andreos1

07 May 2014, 1:38 pm #3
(07 May 2014, 12:58 pm)AdamY But will motorists be persuaded to use P&R type stations to travel over what is a relatively small communing distance? The stations need to be situated within the communities through which the line traverses - not on some out of the way site proposed for future development.

There would be a P&R at Woodhorn and near the Asda in Blyth just off the spine road.
Other stations would be in the town centres such as Ashington, Seghill etc.

The new style Parkway Stations, particularly the one west of Nottingham haven't taken off at all - despite the infrastructure being spent on them.
Hopefully if the B&T line was to re-open, lessons would be learned and stations would be built in appropriate locations.

Thinking about it, Network Rail will own land in the immediate vicinity of the track, but may not want to purchase a big piece of land (green or brownfield) in a bid to keep costs down.

Andreos1
07 May 2014, 1:38 pm #3

(07 May 2014, 12:58 pm)AdamY But will motorists be persuaded to use P&R type stations to travel over what is a relatively small communing distance? The stations need to be situated within the communities through which the line traverses - not on some out of the way site proposed for future development.

There would be a P&R at Woodhorn and near the Asda in Blyth just off the spine road.
Other stations would be in the town centres such as Ashington, Seghill etc.

The new style Parkway Stations, particularly the one west of Nottingham haven't taken off at all - despite the infrastructure being spent on them.
Hopefully if the B&T line was to re-open, lessons would be learned and stations would be built in appropriate locations.

Thinking about it, Network Rail will own land in the immediate vicinity of the track, but may not want to purchase a big piece of land (green or brownfield) in a bid to keep costs down.

MurdnunoC

07 May 2014, 5:31 pm #4
So, presumably, Woodhorn would be the proposed terminus unless the track is re-laid and the line extended to Newbiggin.

A station at Cowpen might prove to be popular, however would it be at the expense of a station at Newsham?

After all, Newsham has always been proposed as a station which would also serve as Blyth's primary rail link unless, as with Newbiggin, the line into Blyth is reinstated. Presumably, Newsham would also be a P&R style station, and while I'm not knocking the idea of a station at Cowpen, is it viable for Blyth to have two P&R stations?
MurdnunoC
07 May 2014, 5:31 pm #4

So, presumably, Woodhorn would be the proposed terminus unless the track is re-laid and the line extended to Newbiggin.

A station at Cowpen might prove to be popular, however would it be at the expense of a station at Newsham?

After all, Newsham has always been proposed as a station which would also serve as Blyth's primary rail link unless, as with Newbiggin, the line into Blyth is reinstated. Presumably, Newsham would also be a P&R style station, and while I'm not knocking the idea of a station at Cowpen, is it viable for Blyth to have two P&R stations?

Andreos1

07 May 2014, 5:41 pm #5
(07 May 2014, 5:31 pm)AdamY So, presumably, Woodhorn would be the proposed terminus unless the track is re-laid and the line extended to Newbiggin.

After looking at the Senrug website, plans appear to be the same.

Andreos1
07 May 2014, 5:41 pm #5

(07 May 2014, 5:31 pm)AdamY So, presumably, Woodhorn would be the proposed terminus unless the track is re-laid and the line extended to Newbiggin.

After looking at the Senrug website, plans appear to be the same.

MurdnunoC

07 May 2014, 9:21 pm #6
Page 17 of this document, published in 2009, suggests plans have changed over the last 5 years as no mention is made of the Cowpen or Woodhorn P&R sites.

Quote:Ashington and Blyth:

• Stations: Seaton Delaval, Bedlington, Newsham (for Blyth)
and Ashington.

• Population: 79,000 (Ashington, Blyth and Bedlington).

• Catchment area: A station at Ashington would also provide a
railhead for Newbiggin and Lynemouth.

• Current rail access: from Ashington via Morpeth (seven miles); from
Blyth via Whitley Bay, Metro (7 miles) or Newcastle (14 miles).

• Proposed link: using current freight route and signalling. 14.5
miles from Benton Junction, of which 6.5 miles is double
track. 12 level crossings involved.

• Formation: Existing freight route. Park and ride station site for
Blyth proposed at Newsham. Original station site could be
used at Ashington, but alternative site to the south may be
required to provide car parking.

• Indicative capital cost: £34m, including stations.

• Train service: Hourly. Additional service from Newcastle or
Metro Centre to Ashington.
MurdnunoC
07 May 2014, 9:21 pm #6

Page 17 of this document, published in 2009, suggests plans have changed over the last 5 years as no mention is made of the Cowpen or Woodhorn P&R sites.

Quote:Ashington and Blyth:

• Stations: Seaton Delaval, Bedlington, Newsham (for Blyth)
and Ashington.

• Population: 79,000 (Ashington, Blyth and Bedlington).

• Catchment area: A station at Ashington would also provide a
railhead for Newbiggin and Lynemouth.

• Current rail access: from Ashington via Morpeth (seven miles); from
Blyth via Whitley Bay, Metro (7 miles) or Newcastle (14 miles).

• Proposed link: using current freight route and signalling. 14.5
miles from Benton Junction, of which 6.5 miles is double
track. 12 level crossings involved.

• Formation: Existing freight route. Park and ride station site for
Blyth proposed at Newsham. Original station site could be
used at Ashington, but alternative site to the south may be
required to provide car parking.

• Indicative capital cost: £34m, including stations.

• Train service: Hourly. Additional service from Newcastle or
Metro Centre to Ashington.

mb134

03 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm #7
Does anybody know if there has been any progress on this? 
Just did a quick search and couldn't find any recent articles.
mb134
03 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm #7

Does anybody know if there has been any progress on this? 
Just did a quick search and couldn't find any recent articles.

04 Feb 2015, 9:55 am #8
The progress:

The lines have gained some more rust
omnicity4659
04 Feb 2015, 9:55 am #8

The progress:

04 Feb 2015, 9:58 am #9
We've got this coming through later in the year:
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/040415c.html

Nowt interesting for the next few days.
omnicity4659
04 Feb 2015, 9:58 am #9

We've got this coming through later in the year:
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/040415c.html

Nowt interesting for the next few days.

mb134

14 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm #10
http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/oper...-1-7150107

Looks promising, if Arriva win the franchise, I think that they could introduce a really nice, linked, network of buses and trains, with attractive fares etc. 
mb134
14 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm #10

http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/oper...-1-7150107

Looks promising, if Arriva win the franchise, I think that they could introduce a really nice, linked, network of buses and trains, with attractive fares etc. 

14 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm #11
(14 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm)mb134 http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/oper...-1-7150107

Aye, just adds it to Arriva's Northumberland portfolio.

No doubt that the X20/X21/X22 will be cut back if Arriva start operating the Northern franchise and running on the ABT.

Hopefully, we get the same livery as ATW of they win.
omnicity4659
14 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm #11

(14 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm)mb134 http://www.morpethherald.co.uk/news/oper...-1-7150107

Aye, just adds it to Arriva's Northumberland portfolio.

No doubt that the X20/X21/X22 will be cut back if Arriva start operating the Northern franchise and running on the ABT.

mb134

14 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm #12
(14 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm)Tommy_1581 Aye, just adds it to Arriva's Northumberland portfolio.

Don't think they'd be cut back, what I do think however, is that if there is a solid public transport network, more people will transfer over to both the bus and the train.
mb134
14 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm #12

(14 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm)Tommy_1581 Aye, just adds it to Arriva's Northumberland portfolio.

Don't think they'd be cut back, what I do think however, is that if there is a solid public transport network, more people will transfer over to both the bus and the train.

Adrian

14 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm #13

Same could be said if Govia win, seeing as it's majority owned by Go Ahead.

Not entirely sure how it would work trying to integrate both forms of transport?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm #13

Same could be said if Govia win, seeing as it's majority owned by Go Ahead.

Not entirely sure how it would work trying to integrate both forms of transport?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

mb134

14 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm #14
(14 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm)aureolin Same could be said if Govia win, seeing as it's majority owned by Go Ahead.

Could they do something like this:

Use buses for local trips, and for Bedlington/Cramlington to Newcastle passengers. 

Use trains for Ashington to Newcastle /Blyth to Newcastle. 

Buses would also provide extra peak time services 

If I'm honest though, I don't see how the train will be that much quicker? 
mb134
14 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm #14

(14 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm)aureolin Same could be said if Govia win, seeing as it's majority owned by Go Ahead.

Could they do something like this:

Use buses for local trips, and for Bedlington/Cramlington to Newcastle passengers. 

Use trains for Ashington to Newcastle /Blyth to Newcastle. 

Buses would also provide extra peak time services 

If I'm honest though, I don't see how the train will be that much quicker? 

mb134

14 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm #15
(14 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm)citaro5284 And I bet Arriva make more profit on the bus side.  So if they win the franchise, can you see DB taken off buses to be replaced by trains when they cannot keep all the revenue?

I guess what I picture in my head as the perfect scenario, would never happen, so I'd think that if anyone other than Arriva won the franchise we'd see an improvement in bus services, however if Arriva do win I think bus services may decrease 
mb134
14 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm #15

(14 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm)citaro5284 And I bet Arriva make more profit on the bus side.  So if they win the franchise, can you see DB taken off buses to be replaced by trains when they cannot keep all the revenue?

I guess what I picture in my head as the perfect scenario, would never happen, so I'd think that if anyone other than Arriva won the franchise we'd see an improvement in bus services, however if Arriva do win I think bus services may decrease 

buss14

26 Jun 2015, 11:16 pm #16
(04 Feb 2015, 9:55 am)Tommy_1581 The progress:

it will take a lot of funding as some tracks and stations have receive numerous amounts of rust and damage and wild life taking over some progress may come in little bursts but may look more promising soon
buss14
26 Jun 2015, 11:16 pm #16

(04 Feb 2015, 9:55 am)Tommy_1581 The progress:

it will take a lot of funding as some tracks and stations have receive numerous amounts of rust and damage and wild life taking over some progress may come in little bursts but may look more promising soon

29 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm #17
NCC have released a date for reopening, 2019.
omnicity4659
29 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm #17

NCC have released a date for reopening, 2019.

buss14

29 Jun 2015, 6:17 pm #18
(29 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm)Tommy_1581 NCC have released a date for reopening, 2019.

well if thats the year it is expected to open then they best get a move on with some of the track clearance because some of the tracks along that line you can barely see or even notice that it is a train track because what it looks like from now i s a bush.
buss14
29 Jun 2015, 6:17 pm #18

(29 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm)Tommy_1581 NCC have released a date for reopening, 2019.

well if thats the year it is expected to open then they best get a move on with some of the track clearance because some of the tracks along that line you can barely see or even notice that it is a train track because what it looks like from now i s a bush.

01 Jul 2015, 9:34 am #19
Another tour coming up doing the Blyth & Tyne, having earlier covered the Borders Railway:
http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.p...--new.html
theblackwatch
01 Jul 2015, 9:34 am #19

Another tour coming up doing the Blyth & Tyne, having earlier covered the Borders Railway:
http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.p...--new.html

Andreos1

14 Oct 2015, 7:33 am #20
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10249616
Feasibility study to be carried out.

Andreos1
14 Oct 2015, 7:33 am #20

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...l-10249616
Feasibility study to be carried out.

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next