Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Railways in General

Railways in General

Railways in General

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next
24 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm #1
Aside from buses, I've always had a bit of an interest in railways, particularly Heritage Lines and Model Railways. I've got a 'bucket list' of preserved railways I want to visit in the future - hopefully in the long summer between finishing Sixth Form and starting University, when I'll have my own flat etc, and do everything alone. These include;

• The Bluebell Railway
- I think it's one of the most beautiful railways around, got so much character, very large as well, I especially like their LB&SCR Terriers, P-Class', and 'Captain Baxter' Smile
• The North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Nice and close to the North East, very vast in quantity, fortunately they've got Class A4 'Sir Nigel Gresley' still within it's boiler certificate. I just love the sound of it on the whole!
• The Severn Valley Railway
- After I downloaded it in Train Simulator 2014, I just fell in love with the SVR. Got a lot of variety, nice and open in the country, and their facilities seem endless.....
• The West Somerset Railway
- Not 100% sure, but I think it's the longest preserved line in Britain, lovely and scenic, filled with the countryside, it's just a must for me!

As for model railways, if I got one of those 2 bed flats, I would without a second thought, strip one of them, place a massive table in there and just build and build until there's no more room! I can just picture an entire fleet - Class A3s, Class A4s, Black Fives, Standard Fours, Deltics, and little Pannier Tanks shunting all of their trains! - does anyone else have a passion for railways?
R852 PRG
24 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm #1

Aside from buses, I've always had a bit of an interest in railways, particularly Heritage Lines and Model Railways. I've got a 'bucket list' of preserved railways I want to visit in the future - hopefully in the long summer between finishing Sixth Form and starting University, when I'll have my own flat etc, and do everything alone. These include;

• The Bluebell Railway
- I think it's one of the most beautiful railways around, got so much character, very large as well, I especially like their LB&SCR Terriers, P-Class', and 'Captain Baxter' Smile
- Nice and close to the North East, very vast in quantity, fortunately they've got Class A4 'Sir Nigel Gresley' still within it's boiler certificate. I just love the sound of it on the whole!
- After I downloaded it in Train Simulator 2014, I just fell in love with the SVR. Got a lot of variety, nice and open in the country, and their facilities seem endless.....
- Not 100% sure, but I think it's the longest preserved line in Britain, lovely and scenic, filled with the countryside, it's just a must for me!

As for model railways, if I got one of those 2 bed flats, I would without a second thought, strip one of them, place a massive table in there and just build and build until there's no more room! I can just picture an entire fleet - Class A3s, Class A4s, Black Fives, Standard Fours, Deltics, and little Pannier Tanks shunting all of their trains! - does anyone else have a passion for railways?

Adrian

25 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm #2
(24 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm)Marcus Aside from buses, I've always had a bit of an interest in railways, particularly Heritage Lines and Model Railways. I've got a 'bucket list' of preserved railways I want to visit in the future - hopefully in the long summer between finishing Sixth Form and starting University, when I'll have my own flat etc, and do everything alone. These include;

• The Bluebell Railway

I've thought about going the model railway route, but it's a very expensive hobby these days! I've got a few locos from when I was a kid, including a Pacer set in T&W PTE livery. Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm #2

(24 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm)Marcus Aside from buses, I've always had a bit of an interest in railways, particularly Heritage Lines and Model Railways. I've got a 'bucket list' of preserved railways I want to visit in the future - hopefully in the long summer between finishing Sixth Form and starting University, when I'll have my own flat etc, and do everything alone. These include;

• The Bluebell Railway

I've thought about going the model railway route, but it's a very expensive hobby these days! I've got a few locos from when I was a kid, including a Pacer set in T&W PTE livery. Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

25 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm #3
(25 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm)aureolin I've thought about going the model railway route, but it's a very expensive hobby these days! I've got a few locos from when I was a kid, including a Pacer set in T&W PTE livery. Wink

Glad to hear there's someone else Smile

I've always loved the idea of a model railway, you can get some fabulous models for dirt cheap prices, then some failures for sky high prices.....

If I was able to do something like this while at University, I would create a YouTube account, about buses and trains Smile
R852 PRG
25 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm #3

(25 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm)aureolin I've thought about going the model railway route, but it's a very expensive hobby these days! I've got a few locos from when I was a kid, including a Pacer set in T&W PTE livery. Wink

Glad to hear there's someone else Smile

I've always loved the idea of a model railway, you can get some fabulous models for dirt cheap prices, then some failures for sky high prices.....

If I was able to do something like this while at University, I would create a YouTube account, about buses and trains Smile

Tom

25 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm #4
(25 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm)Marcus Glad to hear there's someone else Smile

YouTube is a good way to earn money too.
I'm going to start using mine again when I get back.
Tom
25 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm #4

(25 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm)Marcus Glad to hear there's someone else Smile

YouTube is a good way to earn money too.

25 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm #5
(25 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm)Tom YouTube is a good way to earn money too.

Yeah, some people make the simplest of videos and get 100s of subscribers. I'm not sure how subscription works? - do you get money from each subscription?
R852 PRG
25 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm #5

(25 Jul 2014, 3:04 pm)Tom YouTube is a good way to earn money too.

Yeah, some people make the simplest of videos and get 100s of subscribers. I'm not sure how subscription works? - do you get money from each subscription?

Tom

25 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm #6
(25 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm)Marcus Yeah, some people make the simplest of videos and get 100s of subscribers. I'm not sure how subscription works? - do you get money from each subscription?

No it's nothing to do with subscriptions. If you allow adverts on your videos you get money.
Tom
25 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm #6

(25 Jul 2014, 3:08 pm)Marcus Yeah, some people make the simplest of videos and get 100s of subscribers. I'm not sure how subscription works? - do you get money from each subscription?

No it's nothing to do with subscriptions. If you allow adverts on your videos you get money.

25 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm #7
(25 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm)Tom No it's nothing to do with subscriptions. If you allow adverts on your videos you get money.

Oh, I'll just go make a few channels then! Tongue
R852 PRG
25 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm #7

(25 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm)Tom No it's nothing to do with subscriptions. If you allow adverts on your videos you get money.

Oh, I'll just go make a few channels then! Tongue

Tom

25 Jul 2014, 3:16 pm #8
(25 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm)Marcus Oh, I'll just go make a few channels then! Tongue

That wouldn't work as if you use the same IP address you won't be accepted.
Tom
25 Jul 2014, 3:16 pm #8

(25 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm)Marcus Oh, I'll just go make a few channels then! Tongue

That wouldn't work as if you use the same IP address you won't be accepted.

25 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm #9
(25 Jul 2014, 3:16 pm)Tom That wouldn't work as if you use the same IP address you won't be accepted.

Damn!
R852 PRG
25 Jul 2014, 3:18 pm #9

(25 Jul 2014, 3:16 pm)Tom That wouldn't work as if you use the same IP address you won't be accepted.

Damn!

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm #10
Always kinda wanted to go down the YouTube partners route.

When YouTube partners look back at their old work in 'reflection videos', it's amazing to see how terrible their videos were.
Dan
25 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm #10

Always kinda wanted to go down the YouTube partners route.

When YouTube partners look back at their old work in 'reflection videos', it's amazing to see how terrible their videos were.

Andreos1

23 Aug 2014, 10:46 am #11

• The Bluebell Railway

You may want to go here then!
http://www.railexne.com/

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Aug 2014, 10:46 am #11

• The Bluebell Railway

You may want to go here then!
http://www.railexne.com/

citaro5284

11 Sep 2014, 4:56 pm #12
Govia awarded a Direct Award Contract to the Southeastern Franchise until June 2018. With the award of the Thameslink contract recently, quite a large proportion of communter rail services into London are operated by Go Ahead.

http://www.go-ahead.com/media/news/2014-...-2014.aspx
Edited 11 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm by citaro5284.
citaro5284
11 Sep 2014, 4:56 pm #12

Govia awarded a Direct Award Contract to the Southeastern Franchise until June 2018. With the award of the Thameslink contract recently, quite a large proportion of communter rail services into London are operated by Go Ahead.

http://www.go-ahead.com/media/news/2014-...-2014.aspx

BusLoverMum

24 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm #13
Less to do with rail services than stations. Mother in Law was talking about wanting to see Birmingham New Street, the other day. The news of its coplete transfomation had completely missed me, so I wasn't sure why and muttered something about it actually being quicker by car.

I know why, now *facepalm*
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on...c-10121923
BusLoverMum
24 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm #13

Less to do with rail services than stations. Mother in Law was talking about wanting to see Birmingham New Street, the other day. The news of its coplete transfomation had completely missed me, so I wasn't sure why and muttered something about it actually being quicker by car.

24 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm #14
(24 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm)BusLoverMum Less to do with rail services than stations. Mother in Law was talking about wanting to see Birmingham New Street, the other day. The news of its coplete transfomation had completely missed me, so I wasn't sure why and muttered something about it actually being quicker by car.

From the pictures it looks amazing. To me it looked like a dark and dingy place previously whereas now it's rather fascinating to look at!
The platforms are still being worked on. A couple are out of action for the time being I think - next year will be the full completed product IIRC.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
24 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm #14

(24 Sep 2015, 5:51 pm)BusLoverMum Less to do with rail services than stations. Mother in Law was talking about wanting to see Birmingham New Street, the other day. The news of its coplete transfomation had completely missed me, so I wasn't sure why and muttered something about it actually being quicker by car.

From the pictures it looks amazing. To me it looked like a dark and dingy place previously whereas now it's rather fascinating to look at!
The platforms are still being worked on. A couple are out of action for the time being I think - next year will be the full completed product IIRC.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

BusLoverMum

24 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm #15
(24 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm)northern156 From the pictures it looks amazing. To me it looked like a dark and dingy place previously whereas now it's rather fascinating to look at!

It used to be utterly grim - very dark and dirty.
BusLoverMum
24 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm #15

(24 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm)northern156 From the pictures it looks amazing. To me it looked like a dark and dingy place previously whereas now it's rather fascinating to look at!

It used to be utterly grim - very dark and dirty.

24 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm #16
(24 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm)BusLoverMum It used to be utterly grim - very dark and dirty.

That reminds me of Kings Cross Wink
NK53 TKT
24 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm #16

(24 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm)BusLoverMum It used to be utterly grim - very dark and dirty.

That reminds me of Kings Cross Wink

Andreos1

24 Sep 2015, 6:51 pm #17

Only seen it from the outside and that was a few months back.
Used the station fairly recently, but either scooting for a train or passing through.
From what I saw, it looked fairly impressive.

Andreos1
24 Sep 2015, 6:51 pm #17

Only seen it from the outside and that was a few months back.
Used the station fairly recently, but either scooting for a train or passing through.
From what I saw, it looked fairly impressive.

DanPicken

Banned

26 Sep 2015, 9:10 am #18
The Tornado is apparently due through today don't know when.
DanPicken
26 Sep 2015, 9:10 am #18

The Tornado is apparently due through today don't know when.

Andreos1

16 Dec 2015, 8:26 pm #19
Britains quietest and busiest stations have been revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105
Durham Tees Valley is down there in the quiet section.

The quietest, was a place near Ely, in Cambridgeshire.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/short...CMP=twt_gu

Andreos1
16 Dec 2015, 8:26 pm #19

Britains quietest and busiest stations have been revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105
Durham Tees Valley is down there in the quiet section.

The quietest, was a place near Ely, in Cambridgeshire.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/short...CMP=twt_gu

Andreos1

02 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm #20
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...y-10675529
After the 1% fare increases were put into place and Network Rail launched details of train reliability today, the Chronicle have analysed punctuality in the region.

Andreos1
02 Jan 2016, 12:56 pm #20

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...y-10675529
After the 1% fare increases were put into place and Network Rail launched details of train reliability today, the Chronicle have analysed punctuality in the region.

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average