Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next
col87

01 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm #1
(31 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm)beefcake In my opinion Hartlepool doesn't need any double deckers. Passenger loadings wouldn't justify the outlay in them. Whilst it does make sense for them to extend the last service 7 across to Manor, it would also make sense to put an extra service 6 at 2215 from Town to Clavering so people who live that way can use the last 7 and connect in town. Looking at the short service 6 though it wouldn't surprise me if it was withdrawn after the trial period.
. I think Hartlepool needs double deckers at certain times though like school Hollidays and at School Times buses can get packed. The eveing 6 doesent work because they are only going as far as the it needs to be South Fens and Owton Manor like before on a eveing.
col87
01 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm #1

(31 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm)beefcake In my opinion Hartlepool doesn't need any double deckers. Passenger loadings wouldn't justify the outlay in them. Whilst it does make sense for them to extend the last service 7 across to Manor, it would also make sense to put an extra service 6 at 2215 from Town to Clavering so people who live that way can use the last 7 and connect in town. Looking at the short service 6 though it wouldn't surprise me if it was withdrawn after the trial period.
. I think Hartlepool needs double deckers at certain times though like school Hollidays and at School Times buses can get packed. The eveing 6 doesent work because they are only going as far as the it needs to be South Fens and Owton Manor like before on a eveing.

01 Aug 2014, 5:52 pm #2
(01 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm)col87 . I think Hartlepool needs double deckers at certain times though like school Hollidays and at School Times buses can get packed. The eveing 6 doesent work because they are only going as far as the it needs to be South Fens and Owton Manor like before on a eveing.

I think the 36 needs double deckers and I that's not happening anytime soon! I understand what your saying, but a think a service needs to be constantly full for it to be double decker.
benambro
01 Aug 2014, 5:52 pm #2

(01 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm)col87 . I think Hartlepool needs double deckers at certain times though like school Hollidays and at School Times buses can get packed. The eveing 6 doesent work because they are only going as far as the it needs to be South Fens and Owton Manor like before on a eveing.

I think the 36 needs double deckers and I that's not happening anytime soon! I understand what your saying, but a think a service needs to be constantly full for it to be double decker.

col87

01 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm #3
(01 Aug 2014, 5:52 pm)benambro I think the 36 needs double deckers and I that's not happening anytime soon! I understand what your saying, but a think a service needs to be constantly full for it to be double decker.
. I dont think the 36 will ever be double decker service unless anyone knows otherwise it seems the management are happy for people to be squashed on the bus without been able to see where you are.
col87
01 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm #3

(01 Aug 2014, 5:52 pm)benambro I think the 36 needs double deckers and I that's not happening anytime soon! I understand what your saying, but a think a service needs to be constantly full for it to be double decker.
. I dont think the 36 will ever be double decker service unless anyone knows otherwise it seems the management are happy for people to be squashed on the bus without been able to see where you are.

Jimmi

01 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm #4
(01 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm)col87 . I dont think the 36 will ever be double decker service unless anyone knows otherwise it seems the management are happy for people to be squashed on the bus without been able to see where you are.

Last time I rode the 36 there was three pushchairs and an old biddy with a tartan shopping trolleys all occupying the wheelchair and pram spaces. On this day it had been pouring it down all day so the floor was slippy and when I went to get off the bus in Stockton I tripped over one of the prams, thankfully I managed to grab the hand rails to stop myself from face planting the floor and I have bad knees and about 5 minutes after I got off the bus I could barely walk as my knees just went and my knees weren't right for about a week afterwards.

I have also had these problems with pushchairs and shopping trolleys in the aisles on Arriva and Compass Royston buses.
Jimmi
01 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm #4

(01 Aug 2014, 6:58 pm)col87 . I dont think the 36 will ever be double decker service unless anyone knows otherwise it seems the management are happy for people to be squashed on the bus without been able to see where you are.

Last time I rode the 36 there was three pushchairs and an old biddy with a tartan shopping trolleys all occupying the wheelchair and pram spaces. On this day it had been pouring it down all day so the floor was slippy and when I went to get off the bus in Stockton I tripped over one of the prams, thankfully I managed to grab the hand rails to stop myself from face planting the floor and I have bad knees and about 5 minutes after I got off the bus I could barely walk as my knees just went and my knees weren't right for about a week afterwards.

I have also had these problems with pushchairs and shopping trolleys in the aisles on Arriva and Compass Royston buses.

03 Aug 2014, 8:00 am #5
(02 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm)AIG20 Information from "Dan's Bus Photos" of the "SNE Bus Enthusiasts Facebook Group":

Stockton MAN E300 24102 is parked at the rear of Sunderland Depot alongside withdrawn MAN ALX300s 22672/3.

Therefore, it looks as if the MAN E300s are next to be repainted (and debranded) ready for when the new ADL E300s arrive sometime after September. I wonder what will happen to 22672 & 22673 since they are V-reg?

Not really a lot of difference between T and V. There are still S's running about yet T's disposed of.
Roland Pratt
03 Aug 2014, 8:00 am #5

(02 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm)AIG20 Information from "Dan's Bus Photos" of the "SNE Bus Enthusiasts Facebook Group":

Stockton MAN E300 24102 is parked at the rear of Sunderland Depot alongside withdrawn MAN ALX300s 22672/3.

Therefore, it looks as if the MAN E300s are next to be repainted (and debranded) ready for when the new ADL E300s arrive sometime after September. I wonder what will happen to 22672 & 22673 since they are V-reg?

Not really a lot of difference between T and V. There are still S's running about yet T's disposed of.

03 Aug 2014, 8:03 am #6

Yes its disgusting. I'm a big fan of double deckers. They allow for extra capacity when its needed and if its not needed, so what there's nothing lost. And they take up less road space. They should never have been phased out.
Roland Pratt
03 Aug 2014, 8:03 am #6

Yes its disgusting. I'm a big fan of double deckers. They allow for extra capacity when its needed and if its not needed, so what there's nothing lost. And they take up less road space. They should never have been phased out.

03 Aug 2014, 11:06 am #7
(03 Aug 2014, 8:03 am)Roland Pratt Yes its disgusting. I'm a big fan of double deckers. They allow for extra capacity when its needed and if its not needed, so what there's nothing lost. And they take up less road space. They should never have been phased out.

Extra capacity, less road space, but they cost roughly £40k-50k more than a single decker, they cost more to run, can cost more to insure due to the risk of tree/bridge strikes, and depending on type they often can't match the efficiency of a single deck due to the same rated engine, or sometimes detuned engine, lugging more weight around, so for the operator there's usually more lost than they'd often gain. Very easy to see why some operators will only buy double decks if they're really needed or they can clearly justify the additional costs.
Even though Stagecoach own their own insurance company, everything still has to be done above board to satisfy the regulators, so they can't just reduce the insurance costs to suit.
cumbria0902150
03 Aug 2014, 11:06 am #7

(03 Aug 2014, 8:03 am)Roland Pratt Yes its disgusting. I'm a big fan of double deckers. They allow for extra capacity when its needed and if its not needed, so what there's nothing lost. And they take up less road space. They should never have been phased out.

Extra capacity, less road space, but they cost roughly £40k-50k more than a single decker, they cost more to run, can cost more to insure due to the risk of tree/bridge strikes, and depending on type they often can't match the efficiency of a single deck due to the same rated engine, or sometimes detuned engine, lugging more weight around, so for the operator there's usually more lost than they'd often gain. Very easy to see why some operators will only buy double decks if they're really needed or they can clearly justify the additional costs.
Even though Stagecoach own their own insurance company, everything still has to be done above board to satisfy the regulators, so they can't just reduce the insurance costs to suit.

03 Aug 2014, 4:37 pm #8
(03 Aug 2014, 11:06 am)cumbria0902150 Extra capacity, less road space, but they cost roughly £40k-50k more than a single decker, they cost more to run, can cost more to insure due to the risk of tree/bridge strikes, and depending on type they often can't match the efficiency of a single deck due to the same rated engine, or sometimes detuned engine, lugging more weight around, so for the operator there's usually more lost than they'd often gain. Very easy to see why some operators will only buy double decks if they're really needed or they can clearly justify the additional costs.
It would be interesting, if stagecoach do get DDA buses for school contracts, if they place a few on the 36 during the day?
Edited 03 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm by benambro.
benambro
03 Aug 2014, 4:37 pm #8

(03 Aug 2014, 11:06 am)cumbria0902150 Extra capacity, less road space, but they cost roughly £40k-50k more than a single decker, they cost more to run, can cost more to insure due to the risk of tree/bridge strikes, and depending on type they often can't match the efficiency of a single deck due to the same rated engine, or sometimes detuned engine, lugging more weight around, so for the operator there's usually more lost than they'd often gain. Very easy to see why some operators will only buy double decks if they're really needed or they can clearly justify the additional costs.
It would be interesting, if stagecoach do get DDA buses for school contracts, if they place a few on the 36 during the day?

Tom

03 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm #9
Does anyone know if the Tridents will still be on the Walkergate services tomorrow, and the older ALX300's?
If so, does anyone know if they stick to similar boards#?
Tom
03 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm #9

Does anyone know if the Tridents will still be on the Walkergate services tomorrow, and the older ALX300's?

DanPicken

Banned

03 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm #10
(03 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm)Tom Does anyone know if the Tridents will still be on the Walkergate services tomorrow, and the older ALX300's?

Thats what I was thinking so I could get them after 9120.Big Grin
DanPicken
03 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm #10

(03 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm)Tom Does anyone know if the Tridents will still be on the Walkergate services tomorrow, and the older ALX300's?

Thats what I was thinking so I could get them after 9120.Big Grin

tyresmoke

03 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm #11

Yes they're on the same boards every day... 3 on 22's, 2 on 12's and one on the 38s

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
03 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm #11

Yes they're on the same boards every day... 3 on 22's, 2 on 12's and one on the 38s

Tom

03 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm #12
(03 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm)tyresmoke Yes they're on the same boards every day... 3 on 22's, 2 on 12's and one on the 38s

Can you tell me what ones so I can plan my day (if they are still there!!) Smile
What about the older ALX300's?
Tom
03 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm #12

(03 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm)tyresmoke Yes they're on the same boards every day... 3 on 22's, 2 on 12's and one on the 38s

Can you tell me what ones so I can plan my day (if they are still there!!) Smile
What about the older ALX300's?

Adrian

03 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm #13

But if your customers are packed like sardines on a single decker, doesn't that provide the justification to provide a double decker? It's either that or the frequency needs looking at, which can often be more expensive than just providing double deckers in the first place...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm #13

But if your customers are packed like sardines on a single decker, doesn't that provide the justification to provide a double decker? It's either that or the frequency needs looking at, which can often be more expensive than just providing double deckers in the first place...

tyresmoke

03 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm #14
(03 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm)aureolin But if your customers are packed like sardines on a single decker, doesn't that provide the justification to provide a double decker? It's either that or the frequency needs looking at, which can often be more expensive than just providing double deckers in the first place...

Trouble with the 36 is the heavy loadings are only a maximum 10 mile stretch of the route, the rest is sparse enough to justify a single deck.

tyresmoke
03 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm #14

(03 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm)aureolin But if your customers are packed like sardines on a single decker, doesn't that provide the justification to provide a double decker? It's either that or the frequency needs looking at, which can often be more expensive than just providing double deckers in the first place...

Trouble with the 36 is the heavy loadings are only a maximum 10 mile stretch of the route, the rest is sparse enough to justify a single deck.

Adrian

03 Aug 2014, 8:55 pm #15
(03 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm)tyresmoke Trouble with the 36 is the heavy loadings are only a maximum 10 mile stretch of the route, the rest is sparse enough to justify a single deck.

Would that not normally be enough to justify? I can think of a good handful of routes that have deckers, yet can't really justify them for half the route. ANE X1/X2 being a good example, and GNE's X1 being another. To me, if you've got mass standees for a 10 mile stretch, then it's a problem that needs resolving.

Adrian
03 Aug 2014, 8:55 pm #15

(03 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm)tyresmoke Trouble with the 36 is the heavy loadings are only a maximum 10 mile stretch of the route, the rest is sparse enough to justify a single deck.

Would that not normally be enough to justify? I can think of a good handful of routes that have deckers, yet can't really justify them for half the route. ANE X1/X2 being a good example, and GNE's X1 being another. To me, if you've got mass standees for a 10 mile stretch, then it's a problem that needs resolving.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Aug 2014, 9:05 pm #16
(03 Aug 2014, 8:55 pm)aureolin Would that not normally be enough to justify? I can think of a good handful of routes that have deckers, yet can't really justify them for half the route. ANE X1/X2 being a good example, and GNE's X1 being another. To me, if you've got mass standees for a 10 mile stretch, then it's a problem that needs resolving.

Have to agree here. It really bugs me that the services in Sunderland which have received gas buses often have standees, throughout the entire route. Services 16 and 20 are by far the worst for having standees in my opinion, and double deckers would have been hugely beneficial.

Having standees then impacts on timekeeping. I can't imagine when designing timetables that management account for someone at the very back of the bus who was sitting down having to squeeze through loads of people to get off.
Dan
03 Aug 2014, 9:05 pm #16

(03 Aug 2014, 8:55 pm)aureolin Would that not normally be enough to justify? I can think of a good handful of routes that have deckers, yet can't really justify them for half the route. ANE X1/X2 being a good example, and GNE's X1 being another. To me, if you've got mass standees for a 10 mile stretch, then it's a problem that needs resolving.

Have to agree here. It really bugs me that the services in Sunderland which have received gas buses often have standees, throughout the entire route. Services 16 and 20 are by far the worst for having standees in my opinion, and double deckers would have been hugely beneficial.

Having standees then impacts on timekeeping. I can't imagine when designing timetables that management account for someone at the very back of the bus who was sitting down having to squeeze through loads of people to get off.

04 Aug 2014, 11:51 am #17

Exactly. Some routes a minibus could cope over some sections, but it doesn't mean they use them for the whole route.
Roland Pratt
04 Aug 2014, 11:51 am #17

Exactly. Some routes a minibus could cope over some sections, but it doesn't mean they use them for the whole route.

Andy

04 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm #18
27508 receiving engineering at monument
Andy
04 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm #18

27508 receiving engineering at monument

tyresmoke

04 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm #19
(04 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm)Andy 27508 receiving engineering at monument

24107 was abandoned at North Ormesby when I went through about 1725. Still had 36 Hartlepool on the screen

tyresmoke
04 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm #19

(04 Aug 2014, 5:59 pm)Andy 27508 receiving engineering at monument

24107 was abandoned at North Ormesby when I went through about 1725. Still had 36 Hartlepool on the screen

alanf

04 Aug 2014, 8:51 pm #20

Which part of the route is the 10 mile bit? Im guessing its not Billingham to Hartlepool. I would of thought that bit could be every half hour and send every other back to Park End or wherever it came from thereby increasing the frequency on the busy bit of the route
alanf
04 Aug 2014, 8:51 pm #20

Which part of the route is the 10 mile bit? Im guessing its not Billingham to Hartlepool. I would of thought that bit could be every half hour and send every other back to Park End or wherever it came from thereby increasing the frequency on the busy bit of the route

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average