Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (147): Previous 1102 103 104147 Next
12 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm #2,041
Would GNE get many passengers if buses were extend back to Seaburn, Witherwack, etc..

I'm thinking of reworking the old SimpliCity 36 maybe even the 36A/36C, 161/164 and X97

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
12 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm #2,041

Would GNE get many passengers if buses were extend back to Seaburn, Witherwack, etc..

I'm thinking of reworking the old SimpliCity 36 maybe even the 36A/36C, 161/164 and X97

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

MurdnunoC

13 Jan 2022, 7:01 am #2,042
(12 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm)ASX_Terranova Would GNE get many passengers if buses were extend back to Seaburn, Witherwack, etc..

Unlikely.

They didn't get many passengers when they did serve the places you mentioned hence the reason why they were withdrawn.

You should really consider the reason these services are not operating now then you'll probably be able to answer your own question.
MurdnunoC
13 Jan 2022, 7:01 am #2,042

(12 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm)ASX_Terranova Would GNE get many passengers if buses were extend back to Seaburn, Witherwack, etc..

Unlikely.

They didn't get many passengers when they did serve the places you mentioned hence the reason why they were withdrawn.

You should really consider the reason these services are not operating now then you'll probably be able to answer your own question.

15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm #2,043
Is there absolutely no demand from South Shields or Sunderland for a bus to Metrocentre? Although the Metrocentre doesn't need any more buses, I do wonder if this would be an option particularly as I expect the BSIP could see the 27 withdrawn and buses integrated with the Metro.

The 20 could follow the 516 route to Marsden but then go right along Coast Road passing Whitburn to Sunderland if GNE wanted to run a bus around South Shields. Good to have a Shields to Sunderland bus service (this will likely be withdrawn when the Metro is extended to link Shields and Sunderland).
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm #2,043

Is there absolutely no demand from South Shields or Sunderland for a bus to Metrocentre? Although the Metrocentre doesn't need any more buses, I do wonder if this would be an option particularly as I expect the BSIP could see the 27 withdrawn and buses integrated with the Metro.

The 20 could follow the 516 route to Marsden but then go right along Coast Road passing Whitburn to Sunderland if GNE wanted to run a bus around South Shields. Good to have a Shields to Sunderland bus service (this will likely be withdrawn when the Metro is extended to link Shields and Sunderland).

Storx

15 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm #2,044
(15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 Is there absolutely no demand from South Shields or Sunderland for a bus to Metrocentre? Although the Metrocentre doesn't need any more buses, I do wonder if this would be an option particularly as I expect the BSIP could see the 27 withdrawn and buses integrated with the Metro.

The 27 won't be withdrawn, the purpose of it is to link all the places in between the Metro stops similar to the 1 on the Coast.

There's also already transport from Sunderland to the Metro Centre (the train). From South Shields / Sunderland, it's also much quicker to Metro to Gateshead then change onto the X66 if there was proper integration. The bus would just take too long.
Storx
15 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm #2,044

(15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 Is there absolutely no demand from South Shields or Sunderland for a bus to Metrocentre? Although the Metrocentre doesn't need any more buses, I do wonder if this would be an option particularly as I expect the BSIP could see the 27 withdrawn and buses integrated with the Metro.

The 27 won't be withdrawn, the purpose of it is to link all the places in between the Metro stops similar to the 1 on the Coast.

There's also already transport from Sunderland to the Metro Centre (the train). From South Shields / Sunderland, it's also much quicker to Metro to Gateshead then change onto the X66 if there was proper integration. The bus would just take too long.

15 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm #2,045
(15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 The 20 could follow the 516 route to Marsden but then go right along Coast Road passing Whitburn to Sunderland if GNE wanted to run a bus around South Shields. Good to have a Shields to Sunderland bus service (this will likely be withdrawn when the Metro is extended to link Shields and Sunderland).

Even if the Metro is extended from South Shields to Sunderland like they've been hinting, it won't be faster than the 20 currently is, not unless they plan on gong through Harton underground.
deanmachine
15 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm #2,045

(15 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm)OrangeArrow49 The 20 could follow the 516 route to Marsden but then go right along Coast Road passing Whitburn to Sunderland if GNE wanted to run a bus around South Shields. Good to have a Shields to Sunderland bus service (this will likely be withdrawn when the Metro is extended to link Shields and Sunderland).

Even if the Metro is extended from South Shields to Sunderland like they've been hinting, it won't be faster than the 20 currently is, not unless they plan on gong through Harton underground.

MurdnunoC

15 Jan 2022, 4:37 pm #2,046
(15 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm)deanmachine Even if the Metro is extended from South Shields to Sunderland like they've been hinting, it won't be faster than the 20 currently is, not unless they plan on gong through Harton underground.

The route which was originally mooted was the West Harton Line which might have generated a journey time comparable to the 20 depending on how many stations were built. Another option was reinstating the curve from Tyne Dock station to the Tyne Dock freight line which, once again, might have generated a comparable journey time. The latest idea mooted in the press, operating to Hebburn and onto the Leamside Line using the old Monkton Colliery alignment, then looping around to South Hylton before continuing Sunderland is the most gluebag yet and certainly won't win any passengers wishing to travel between South Shields and Sunderland.  

None of this matters though as we'll all probably be dead before any ground is broken.
MurdnunoC
15 Jan 2022, 4:37 pm #2,046

(15 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm)deanmachine Even if the Metro is extended from South Shields to Sunderland like they've been hinting, it won't be faster than the 20 currently is, not unless they plan on gong through Harton underground.

The route which was originally mooted was the West Harton Line which might have generated a journey time comparable to the 20 depending on how many stations were built. Another option was reinstating the curve from Tyne Dock station to the Tyne Dock freight line which, once again, might have generated a comparable journey time. The latest idea mooted in the press, operating to Hebburn and onto the Leamside Line using the old Monkton Colliery alignment, then looping around to South Hylton before continuing Sunderland is the most gluebag yet and certainly won't win any passengers wishing to travel between South Shields and Sunderland.  

None of this matters though as we'll all probably be dead before any ground is broken.

15 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm #2,047

Ah, okay. I've never been on the 20, but I thought it could route through South Shields Town Centre, Whitburn and Seaburn to Sunderland City Centre. With a GNE ticket it's only possible to get to South Shields Interchange and travel options are limited (the 27 takes ages to Newcastle/Gateshead and even the 5 takes ages to Jarrow).
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm #2,047

Ah, okay. I've never been on the 20, but I thought it could route through South Shields Town Centre, Whitburn and Seaburn to Sunderland City Centre. With a GNE ticket it's only possible to get to South Shields Interchange and travel options are limited (the 27 takes ages to Newcastle/Gateshead and even the 5 takes ages to Jarrow).

15 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm #2,048
(15 Jan 2022, 4:37 pm)MurdnunoC The route which was originally mooted was the West Harton Line which might have generated a journey time comparable to the 20 depending on how many stations were built. Another option was reinstating the curve from Tyne Dock station to the Tyne Dock freight line which, once again, might have generated a comparable journey time. The latest idea mooted in the press, operating to Hebburn and onto the Leamside Line using the old Monkton Colliery alignment, then looping around to South Hylton before continuing Sunderland is the most gluebag yet and certainly won't win any passengers wishing to travel between South Shields and Sunderland.  

Even then a West Harton link is only handy for people who live in the west of South Shields, which do have a lack of options to get to Sunderland, or people from Sunderland going to South Shields town centre (for some reason). It wouldn't effect the 20 as most of the people who use it don't get on in the town centre.
deanmachine
15 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm #2,048

(15 Jan 2022, 4:37 pm)MurdnunoC The route which was originally mooted was the West Harton Line which might have generated a journey time comparable to the 20 depending on how many stations were built. Another option was reinstating the curve from Tyne Dock station to the Tyne Dock freight line which, once again, might have generated a comparable journey time. The latest idea mooted in the press, operating to Hebburn and onto the Leamside Line using the old Monkton Colliery alignment, then looping around to South Hylton before continuing Sunderland is the most gluebag yet and certainly won't win any passengers wishing to travel between South Shields and Sunderland.  

Even then a West Harton link is only handy for people who live in the west of South Shields, which do have a lack of options to get to Sunderland, or people from Sunderland going to South Shields town centre (for some reason). It wouldn't effect the 20 as most of the people who use it don't get on in the town centre.

15 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm #2,049
I used to volunteer at Souter Lighthouse and I was disappointed it didn't have a Go North East bus, especially as it could have with the 20 serving Fulwell. Buses are not the best way of getting around because they focus on certain leisure and employment sites, and don't consider someone might actually work or volunteer anywhere in the North East.
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm #2,049

I used to volunteer at Souter Lighthouse and I was disappointed it didn't have a Go North East bus, especially as it could have with the 20 serving Fulwell. Buses are not the best way of getting around because they focus on certain leisure and employment sites, and don't consider someone might actually work or volunteer anywhere in the North East.

Adrian

15 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm #2,050
(15 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm)OrangeArrow49 I used to volunteer at Souter Lighthouse and I was disappointed it didn't have a Go North East bus, especially as it could have with the 20 serving Fulwell. Buses are not the best way of getting around because they focus on certain leisure and employment sites, and don't consider someone might actually work or volunteer anywhere in the North East.

You've got the regular E1 (or even E2) from Sunderland that takes you within easy walking distance.

Someone else isn't going to run a bus, just because you're being utterly ridiculous in not using the one provided.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm #2,050

(15 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm)OrangeArrow49 I used to volunteer at Souter Lighthouse and I was disappointed it didn't have a Go North East bus, especially as it could have with the 20 serving Fulwell. Buses are not the best way of getting around because they focus on certain leisure and employment sites, and don't consider someone might actually work or volunteer anywhere in the North East.

You've got the regular E1 (or even E2) from Sunderland that takes you within easy walking distance.

Someone else isn't going to run a bus, just because you're being utterly ridiculous in not using the one provided.

15 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm #2,051
(15 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm)Adrian You've got the regular E1 (or even E2) from Sunderland that takes you within easy walking distance.

I did (and would) use the E1/E2 (I only don't use SNE in Newcastle and for a number of valid reasons) but I now use a GNE to jet because its the cheapest option.
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm #2,051

(15 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm)Adrian You've got the regular E1 (or even E2) from Sunderland that takes you within easy walking distance.

I did (and would) use the E1/E2 (I only don't use SNE in Newcastle and for a number of valid reasons) but I now use a GNE to jet because its the cheapest option.

MurdnunoC

15 Jan 2022, 5:14 pm #2,052
(15 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 I did (and would) use the E1/E2 (I only don't use SNE in Newcastle and for a number of valid reasons) but I now use a GNE to jet because its the cheapest option.

Where do you jet to with GNE?

Do GNE jet to Consett Airport?
MurdnunoC
15 Jan 2022, 5:14 pm #2,052

(15 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 I did (and would) use the E1/E2 (I only don't use SNE in Newcastle and for a number of valid reasons) but I now use a GNE to jet because its the cheapest option.

Where do you jet to with GNE?

15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm #2,053
(15 Jan 2022, 5:14 pm)MurdnunoC Where do you jet to with GNE?

It was supposed to say ticket.
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm #2,053

(15 Jan 2022, 5:14 pm)MurdnunoC Where do you jet to with GNE?

It was supposed to say ticket.

Adrian

15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm #2,054

How can it be the cheapest option, if they don't take you there?

Adrian
15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm #2,054

How can it be the cheapest option, if they don't take you there?

MurdnunoC

15 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm #2,055
(15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm)Adrian How can it be the cheapest option, if they don't take you there?

I like to use LNER to travel between Stanley and Blaydon. Sure, it involves a 10 mile walk to Durham then a 5 mile walk to Blaydon. But at least it means I don't have to use GNE, who are largely unreliable and a terrible bus operator.
MurdnunoC
15 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm #2,055

(15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm)Adrian How can it be the cheapest option, if they don't take you there?

I like to use LNER to travel between Stanley and Blaydon. Sure, it involves a 10 mile walk to Durham then a 5 mile walk to Blaydon. But at least it means I don't have to use GNE, who are largely unreliable and a terrible bus operator.

15 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm #2,056

I'll tell you what's utterly ridiculous, is expecting someone to continue to be depressed and borderline suicidal with anxiety, stress and feeling useless because a piece of crap bus doesn't turn up or turns up late every day so I lose volunteering opportunities and employment. Do you think its good to feel stressed and worthless and powerless? Relying on the same crap services for years knowing they will just keep letting you down? Just do nothing about it and suffer until you die of stress or suicide? You have no idea what you are talking about. Took years to make the difficult and brave choice to move on and try something different and I only wish I'd done it sooner. Complaints are resolved, then it goes back to how it was. Same old shit over and over again. Get some context you small minded idiot and then you can tell me about what I should and shouldn't be doing! Maybe if you'd been through as much shit as I have you might want a different bus too! Unfortunately I can't use a shit bus that's in Gosforth when I'm waiting in Blakelaw to get to the Metrocentre after my shift has started!
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm #2,056

I'll tell you what's utterly ridiculous, is expecting someone to continue to be depressed and borderline suicidal with anxiety, stress and feeling useless because a piece of crap bus doesn't turn up or turns up late every day so I lose volunteering opportunities and employment. Do you think its good to feel stressed and worthless and powerless? Relying on the same crap services for years knowing they will just keep letting you down? Just do nothing about it and suffer until you die of stress or suicide? You have no idea what you are talking about. Took years to make the difficult and brave choice to move on and try something different and I only wish I'd done it sooner. Complaints are resolved, then it goes back to how it was. Same old shit over and over again. Get some context you small minded idiot and then you can tell me about what I should and shouldn't be doing! Maybe if you'd been through as much shit as I have you might want a different bus too! Unfortunately I can't use a shit bus that's in Gosforth when I'm waiting in Blakelaw to get to the Metrocentre after my shift has started!

Adrian

15 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm #2,057
(15 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)OrangeArrow49 I'll tell you what's utterly ridiculous, is expecting someone to continue to be depressed and borderline suicidal with anxiety, stress and feeling useless because a piece of crap bus doesn't turn up or turns up late every day so I lose volunteering opportunities and employment. Do you think its good to feel stressed and worthless and powerless? Relying on the same crap services for years knowing they will just keep letting you down? Just do nothing about it and suffer until you die of stress or suicide? You have no idea what you are talking about. Took years to make the difficult and brave choice to move on and try something different and I only wish I'd done it sooner. Complaints are resolved, then it goes back to how it was. Same old shit over and over again. Get some context you small minded idiot and then you can tell me about what I should and shouldn't be doing! Maybe if you'd been through as much shit as I have you might want a different bus too! Unfortunately I can't use a shit bus that's in Gosforth when I'm waiting in Blakelaw to get to the Metrocentre after my shift has started!

I live on an Arriva Durham dominated corridor, so I could probably write a book about an unreliable and poor service over the last 8 years. Sadly that is who the principal operator is, and best will in the world, I've got no control over it.

I don't think its good feeling stressed out about public transport, and clearly transport operators have a lot to do in improving public confidence up to a level where that people *want* to use buses, but having a personal policy of completely avoiding one operator and expecting another to run services instead, isn't the answer. You need a reality check if you think that's going to happen. I don't like the fact that TPE are the only operator running between Newcastle and Manchester directly, but I don't expect an open access operator to take pity on me and run the route in competition. 

If you think there's a chance a bus might not turn up or might run late, then plan your route to get you somewhere earlier than you need to be. It's your responsibility to get to somewhere on time, and in purchasing a ticket with any operator, you're accepting that it's not their responsibility.

Adrian
15 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm #2,057

(15 Jan 2022, 5:44 pm)OrangeArrow49 I'll tell you what's utterly ridiculous, is expecting someone to continue to be depressed and borderline suicidal with anxiety, stress and feeling useless because a piece of crap bus doesn't turn up or turns up late every day so I lose volunteering opportunities and employment. Do you think its good to feel stressed and worthless and powerless? Relying on the same crap services for years knowing they will just keep letting you down? Just do nothing about it and suffer until you die of stress or suicide? You have no idea what you are talking about. Took years to make the difficult and brave choice to move on and try something different and I only wish I'd done it sooner. Complaints are resolved, then it goes back to how it was. Same old shit over and over again. Get some context you small minded idiot and then you can tell me about what I should and shouldn't be doing! Maybe if you'd been through as much shit as I have you might want a different bus too! Unfortunately I can't use a shit bus that's in Gosforth when I'm waiting in Blakelaw to get to the Metrocentre after my shift has started!

I live on an Arriva Durham dominated corridor, so I could probably write a book about an unreliable and poor service over the last 8 years. Sadly that is who the principal operator is, and best will in the world, I've got no control over it.

I don't think its good feeling stressed out about public transport, and clearly transport operators have a lot to do in improving public confidence up to a level where that people *want* to use buses, but having a personal policy of completely avoiding one operator and expecting another to run services instead, isn't the answer. You need a reality check if you think that's going to happen. I don't like the fact that TPE are the only operator running between Newcastle and Manchester directly, but I don't expect an open access operator to take pity on me and run the route in competition. 

If you think there's a chance a bus might not turn up or might run late, then plan your route to get you somewhere earlier than you need to be. It's your responsibility to get to somewhere on time, and in purchasing a ticket with any operator, you're accepting that it's not their responsibility.

cbma06

15 Jan 2022, 7:43 pm #2,058

If I remember that the old Sunderland to South Shields line , just after east boldon station the line used to split off to the right and then rejoin on the railway line to South Shields just before Tyne dock station, you can still see the layout still on goggle maps and it doesn’t look any part have been built on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
15 Jan 2022, 7:43 pm #2,058

If I remember that the old Sunderland to South Shields line , just after east boldon station the line used to split off to the right and then rejoin on the railway line to South Shields just before Tyne dock station, you can still see the layout still on goggle maps and it doesn’t look any part have been built on

MurdnunoC

15 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm #2,059
(15 Jan 2022, 7:43 pm)cbma06 If I remember that the old Sunderland to South Shields line , just after east boldon station the line used to split off to the right and then rejoin on the railway line to South Shields just before Tyne dock station, you can still see the layout still on goggle maps and it doesn’t look any part have been built on

That's the West Harton line. It's a cycle track now. The other one is the Tyne Dock freight line which used to have a curve connecting to the Metro line just after Simonside tunnel. You used to be able to see the mothballed on Google Maps too. It was still in situ until at least the mid-90s after Westoe Colliery closed.
MurdnunoC
15 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm #2,059

(15 Jan 2022, 7:43 pm)cbma06 If I remember that the old Sunderland to South Shields line , just after east boldon station the line used to split off to the right and then rejoin on the railway line to South Shields just before Tyne dock station, you can still see the layout still on goggle maps and it doesn’t look any part have been built on

That's the West Harton line. It's a cycle track now. The other one is the Tyne Dock freight line which used to have a curve connecting to the Metro line just after Simonside tunnel. You used to be able to see the mothballed on Google Maps too. It was still in situ until at least the mid-90s after Westoe Colliery closed.

15 Jan 2022, 11:02 pm #2,060
(15 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm)Adrian I live on an Arriva Durham dominated corridor, so I could probably write a book about an unreliable and poor service over the last 8 years. Sadly that is who the principal operator is, and best will in the world, I've got no control over it.

I am fortunate to have access to a number of different operators, despite Stagecoach being the dominant player. There is no difference is walking for less than half an hour up to 1 hour for a particular bus than staying over somewhere else where there is a bus, or walking to or from town when a particular service is available to offer cheaper fares. Walking is healthy and its not like I'm walking miles for a bus (I couldn't, I looked into that when I was volunteering in Byker due to how much it was costing in bus fares and the 12 changing drivers at Byker Metro on my afternoon journey home). Luckily, I have a choice and I've made a good, healthy choice which I am far happier with and that's what's important, being happy and comfortable with my transport and not missing the stress of before with Stagecoach. With regards to GNE being cheaper, I no longer volunteer at Souter Lighthouse (hence saying I used to) and what I meant was I can't use the E1/E2 because it would be more expensive (currently £1.80 more expensive) whereas if there was a GNE option (which isn't unreasonable given the 20) it's covered by my ticket. My bad experience doesn't include South Shields journeys, just my ticket prevents it and my ticket choice is dictated by the best options in Newcastle. 

All of the education, volunteering and paid employment I've lost is because I've taken full responsibility and been open and honest in saying I can't get there due to buses (Stagecoach late, Go North East 9n time = missed the GNE service) goes back to 2010 when I started using buses independently. You make it sound like an easy choice on a whim because I got a bit upset and overreacted, and then just took a disliking to my local, in theory but not in practice, convenient bus operator. GNE is better in many respects and I'm not the only person who holds that opinion, so even if the bus runs a little bit late it's worth the wait and they haven't cost me any opportunities and couldn't really because they are less frequent it takes more planning and responsibility. 

Surely my travel choices are up to me and personally I think if a particular operator is running a service to a place they should run at least some of the buses there (Hexham is a good example, and likewise Arriva for Whitley Bay and for an unbiased review, arguably for Byker/Wallsend/Cobalt Stagecoach is the best ticket). Different operators isn't the best, as we don't really want to pay for all operators in case we end up wanting a particular service. Keeping/encouraging people using/to use the bus means it needs to be appealing (going through Newcastle then wherever else to reach Blaydon when I can get there directly by other means is not appealing, particularly when the SNE 6 makes it only a short walk to Blaydon and could easily serve it). 

No idea why everyone on here takes issue with the fact I walk, just because it happens to be for a bus, think of it as walking for positive mental health, when it's just the same as staying over somewhere or walking for leisure or pleasure. Does nobody think it was hard enough to make the decision? Even the fact I'm happier and don't regret it means nothing, I should just suffer because people think I should use Stagecoach because it exists. For 16 years I haven't used Arriva, but nobody cares about that because Arriva doesn't really do much (arguably neither does Stagecoach of you enjoy the scenery on a GNE journey and sometimes a bit of a walk). Genuinely the fact I even walk in rain and snow to avoid detrimental mental health issues should highlight I'm serious about the problems and not avoiding something to be awkward. Best thing is, at least I'm consistent and I stick to my word. Stagecoach was and is shit and lost custom. Actions have consequences and so they should! Vandalised interiors on SNE are not pleasant to see and there should be consequences. I take responsibility, bus companies (even the super crap GCT) don't! Trust me, I'm not a biased customer and have complained about every operator there is, bar A-line and Henry Cooper I've hardly/not yet used.
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 11:02 pm #2,060

(15 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm)Adrian I live on an Arriva Durham dominated corridor, so I could probably write a book about an unreliable and poor service over the last 8 years. Sadly that is who the principal operator is, and best will in the world, I've got no control over it.

I am fortunate to have access to a number of different operators, despite Stagecoach being the dominant player. There is no difference is walking for less than half an hour up to 1 hour for a particular bus than staying over somewhere else where there is a bus, or walking to or from town when a particular service is available to offer cheaper fares. Walking is healthy and its not like I'm walking miles for a bus (I couldn't, I looked into that when I was volunteering in Byker due to how much it was costing in bus fares and the 12 changing drivers at Byker Metro on my afternoon journey home). Luckily, I have a choice and I've made a good, healthy choice which I am far happier with and that's what's important, being happy and comfortable with my transport and not missing the stress of before with Stagecoach. With regards to GNE being cheaper, I no longer volunteer at Souter Lighthouse (hence saying I used to) and what I meant was I can't use the E1/E2 because it would be more expensive (currently £1.80 more expensive) whereas if there was a GNE option (which isn't unreasonable given the 20) it's covered by my ticket. My bad experience doesn't include South Shields journeys, just my ticket prevents it and my ticket choice is dictated by the best options in Newcastle. 

All of the education, volunteering and paid employment I've lost is because I've taken full responsibility and been open and honest in saying I can't get there due to buses (Stagecoach late, Go North East 9n time = missed the GNE service) goes back to 2010 when I started using buses independently. You make it sound like an easy choice on a whim because I got a bit upset and overreacted, and then just took a disliking to my local, in theory but not in practice, convenient bus operator. GNE is better in many respects and I'm not the only person who holds that opinion, so even if the bus runs a little bit late it's worth the wait and they haven't cost me any opportunities and couldn't really because they are less frequent it takes more planning and responsibility. 

Surely my travel choices are up to me and personally I think if a particular operator is running a service to a place they should run at least some of the buses there (Hexham is a good example, and likewise Arriva for Whitley Bay and for an unbiased review, arguably for Byker/Wallsend/Cobalt Stagecoach is the best ticket). Different operators isn't the best, as we don't really want to pay for all operators in case we end up wanting a particular service. Keeping/encouraging people using/to use the bus means it needs to be appealing (going through Newcastle then wherever else to reach Blaydon when I can get there directly by other means is not appealing, particularly when the SNE 6 makes it only a short walk to Blaydon and could easily serve it). 

No idea why everyone on here takes issue with the fact I walk, just because it happens to be for a bus, think of it as walking for positive mental health, when it's just the same as staying over somewhere or walking for leisure or pleasure. Does nobody think it was hard enough to make the decision? Even the fact I'm happier and don't regret it means nothing, I should just suffer because people think I should use Stagecoach because it exists. For 16 years I haven't used Arriva, but nobody cares about that because Arriva doesn't really do much (arguably neither does Stagecoach of you enjoy the scenery on a GNE journey and sometimes a bit of a walk). Genuinely the fact I even walk in rain and snow to avoid detrimental mental health issues should highlight I'm serious about the problems and not avoiding something to be awkward. Best thing is, at least I'm consistent and I stick to my word. Stagecoach was and is shit and lost custom. Actions have consequences and so they should! Vandalised interiors on SNE are not pleasant to see and there should be consequences. I take responsibility, bus companies (even the super crap GCT) don't! Trust me, I'm not a biased customer and have complained about every operator there is, bar A-line and Henry Cooper I've hardly/not yet used.

Pages (147): Previous 1102 103 104147 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average