Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

2063 Replies, 351448 Views

I think certain areas should have certain operators

Newcastle - Go North East with Stagecoach links between areas (independent operators from West Newcastle - A-Line, Phoenix, Henry Cooper and Peter Hogg for long distance links to Newcastle, big three operators in Gosforth/Great Park/Kingston Park and the Hexham services as now)

Gateshead - Go North East (Stagecoach X24/X34 serving Gateshead for South Shields and Sunderland)

North Tyneside - Stagecoach (Go North East Q3 in Wallsend, Arriva in Killingworth, Tynemouth, North Shields Whitley Bay and Blyth)

South Tyneside - Stagecoach

Sunderland - Go North East and Stagecoach

Durham - Go North East (Stanley Travel for local services in Stanley, Weardale for Consett)

Northumberland - Arriva (GNE 74/684 and the Arriva/Stagecoach 685)

Gateshead Central Taxis, Henry Cooper and JH Coaches for contracted services. Weardale for scholars.
(16 Jan 2022, 5:04 am)OrangeArrow49 Wrote: I think certain areas should have certain operators

Newcastle - Go North East with Stagecoach links between areas (independent operators from West Newcastle - A-Line, Phoenix, Henry Cooper and Peter Hogg for long distance links to Newcastle, big three operators in Gosforth/Great Park/Kingston Park and the Hexham services as now)

Gateshead - Go North East (Stagecoach X24/X34 serving Gateshead for South Shields and Sunderland)

North Tyneside - Stagecoach (Go North East Q3 in Wallsend, Arriva in Killingworth, Tynemouth, North Shields Whitley Bay and Blyth)

South Tyneside - Stagecoach

Sunderland - Go North East and Stagecoach

Durham - Go North East (Stanley Travel for local services in Stanley, Weardale for Consett)

Northumberland - Arriva (GNE 74/684 and the Arriva/Stagecoach 685)

Gateshead Central Taxis, Henry Cooper and JH Coaches for contracted services. Weardale for scholars.

The better option imo is making operators irrelevant and all you need to do is sort out ticketing.

The bus companies should come together and come with a set of prices which they all follow with one day ticket between the whole lot and a set of zones which all operators follow. Then get arid of all single operator tickets (corridor tickets still allowed).

Now whoever is running them is irrelevant and the competition element doesn't really exist anymore since they compliment each other instead.
(16 Jan 2022, 9:02 am)Storx Wrote: The better option imo is making operators irrelevant and all you need to do is sort out ticketing.

The bus companies should come together and come with a set of prices which they all follow with one day ticket between the whole lot and a set of zones which all operators follow. Then get arid of all single operator tickets (corridor tickets still allowed).

Now whoever is running them is irrelevant and the competition element doesn't really exist anymore since they compliment each other instead.

I don’t disagree

But why have different operators?

Take them all back into public ownership, an arms length company, with a profit for purpose ethos.
(15 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm)cbma06 Wrote: If I remember that the old Sunderland to South Shields line , just after east boldon station the line used to split off to the right and then rejoin on the railway line to South Shields just before Tyne dock station, you can still see the layout still on goggle maps and it doesn’t look any part have been built on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trackbed is lost close to the Lidl store. The original proposal wouldnonoybhave had a station at Biddick, liable at the A1300 roadbridge. The relaity of a service between Shields and Sunderland was fairly easily dismissed.