Menu

North East Buses The Site News & Site Updates Proposed forum changes

Proposed forum changes

Proposed forum changes

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Poll: Are you for or against the proposed setup?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

For
24.44%
Votes 11
Against
73.33%
Votes 33
Abstain
2.22%
Votes 1

Total 45 vote(s) 100%
Jimmi

25 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm #21
The problems with the odd workings threads I feel is that we have classified anything that is out of the ordinary to be a 'odd' working, so even something of the slightest difference is considered odd on this forum (plus a few other sites/pages in relation to the North East bus scene).

I will admit, I am starting to tire of some of the odd workings that are getting reported in the R&OW threads, lots of them are buses with similarities to the usual vehicle type, eg same vehicle types or say a Frequenta branded bus but on the wrong Frequenta route and general stand ins for the regular allocations. Some of the things happen so often that I don't see them as rare as anymore, the Sapphire 7 has a Pulsar (either standard or MAX branded) on it just about everyday now, so I don't see the point in posting this anymore. Some enthusiasts like to talk to me about what odd workings they have spotted and photographed and now I'm just like "I don't care!" as very little is rare in my eyes now so I just couldn't care less anymore, about the only two workings I've encountered myself recently that have been rare in my eyes was 4517 on the X20 which is a Jesmond bus on a Ashington route and Sapphire 7 E400 7534 on the X21 the other night which hasn't happened before, think it's quite possibly around 7 years since the last Darlington based double decker appeared on this route (albeit it was the 21/31 the last time this happened, which was Volvo Olympian 7365).

My fear is if action is to start being taken about members posting stuff that may or may not be considered odd is it may lead to arguments, I have seen some of the comments in Facebook groups where someone has posted something like a Whey Aye Five O Omnicity on service 4 and the poster has said its an unusual appearance, then someone will comment and say "it's not rare, happens all the time!" and it leads with a back and forth argument that doesn't get resolved (they just get bored) and the same only ends happening again and again on a frequent basis.

I think for as long as the operators around here continue to allocate different buses to what should necessarily be allocated to the route (for whatever reasons), it's going to be a tricky one to fully resolve the matter I think, there's probably always going to be cases where people have different thoughts to what constitutes a rare or odd working.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Jimmi
25 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm #21

The problems with the odd workings threads I feel is that we have classified anything that is out of the ordinary to be a 'odd' working, so even something of the slightest difference is considered odd on this forum (plus a few other sites/pages in relation to the North East bus scene).

I will admit, I am starting to tire of some of the odd workings that are getting reported in the R&OW threads, lots of them are buses with similarities to the usual vehicle type, eg same vehicle types or say a Frequenta branded bus but on the wrong Frequenta route and general stand ins for the regular allocations. Some of the things happen so often that I don't see them as rare as anymore, the Sapphire 7 has a Pulsar (either standard or MAX branded) on it just about everyday now, so I don't see the point in posting this anymore. Some enthusiasts like to talk to me about what odd workings they have spotted and photographed and now I'm just like "I don't care!" as very little is rare in my eyes now so I just couldn't care less anymore, about the only two workings I've encountered myself recently that have been rare in my eyes was 4517 on the X20 which is a Jesmond bus on a Ashington route and Sapphire 7 E400 7534 on the X21 the other night which hasn't happened before, think it's quite possibly around 7 years since the last Darlington based double decker appeared on this route (albeit it was the 21/31 the last time this happened, which was Volvo Olympian 7365).

My fear is if action is to start being taken about members posting stuff that may or may not be considered odd is it may lead to arguments, I have seen some of the comments in Facebook groups where someone has posted something like a Whey Aye Five O Omnicity on service 4 and the poster has said its an unusual appearance, then someone will comment and say "it's not rare, happens all the time!" and it leads with a back and forth argument that doesn't get resolved (they just get bored) and the same only ends happening again and again on a frequent basis.

I think for as long as the operators around here continue to allocate different buses to what should necessarily be allocated to the route (for whatever reasons), it's going to be a tricky one to fully resolve the matter I think, there's probably always going to be cases where people have different thoughts to what constitutes a rare or odd working.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Andreos1

26 Nov 2017, 11:19 am #22
(25 Nov 2017, 9:42 pm)BusLoverMum Um, yes, the worst offenders do seem to have departed, don't they?

They're probably over on reddit, where they can downvote people they don't like, to their hearts' content.

*flies straight over the top of my head*
Reddit?

Thinking out loud - is there a fine line between: Genuine debate, arguing for arguings sake, one upmanship, discussion, trolling, liking/disliking for the sake of it and sychopanchy?

On an online forum, I wonder if those fine lines can always be interpreted correctly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Nov 2017, 11:19 am #22

(25 Nov 2017, 9:42 pm)BusLoverMum Um, yes, the worst offenders do seem to have departed, don't they?

They're probably over on reddit, where they can downvote people they don't like, to their hearts' content.

*flies straight over the top of my head*
Reddit?

Thinking out loud - is there a fine line between: Genuine debate, arguing for arguings sake, one upmanship, discussion, trolling, liking/disliking for the sake of it and sychopanchy?

On an online forum, I wonder if those fine lines can always be interpreted correctly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Jamie M

Unregistered

27 Nov 2017, 10:46 am #23
Can't see the poll and also sorry for being a bit late, but I use the "rare and odd workings" thread daily. I like to know what I can go and take a picture of, and I'd feel a lot less inclined to browse the forums generally if this feature was removed in this format.

I can skip over boring non-news scenarios people post without problem. False workings don't appear often (that is to say people making up news that didn't take place), so I am happy with the format, if it's a little drab.

I agree with Matthew's comments also, but I have to say that if I assume there's a bunch of not very interesting reported workings, I take it as exactly that. Nothing happening. So I check back later.

Is there really an obstructive problem with this format all things considered?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
27 Nov 2017, 10:46 am #23

Can't see the poll and also sorry for being a bit late, but I use the "rare and odd workings" thread daily. I like to know what I can go and take a picture of, and I'd feel a lot less inclined to browse the forums generally if this feature was removed in this format.

I can skip over boring non-news scenarios people post without problem. False workings don't appear often (that is to say people making up news that didn't take place), so I am happy with the format, if it's a little drab.

I agree with Matthew's comments also, but I have to say that if I assume there's a bunch of not very interesting reported workings, I take it as exactly that. Nothing happening. So I check back later.

upt50k

27 Nov 2017, 11:41 am #24
(22 Nov 2017, 8:21 pm)Adrian Under the current system there are multiple reports of max and sapphire bus on the incorrect boards. This is typical of Arriva where allocation is not a priority.These brands are a recent development which came after this layout began. Dear All,

We're currently looking at potential changes of the forum structure, with the aims to both modernise how we work and increase participation in the discussion we have across the site. The structure has remained pretty constant since day one, and now is perhaps the time to look at how we are doing things.

Present Setup
  • Our three main bus operators in the region have their own parent forum, which then have three sub forums each. 
  • The three sub forums for each operator are 'Latest News & Discussion', 'Rare & Odd Workings' and 'Other Discussion'. 
  • With exception of the 'Other Discussion' forum, each sub forum has a monthly thread for discussion, with no other threads being permitted.

Proposed Setup
  • Our three main bus operators in the region would continue to have their own parent forum, BUT;
  • The three sub forums will be REMOVED, and the present system of monthly discussion threads will CEASE to exist.
  • Members will be entitled to create their own threads in the operator's parent forum, based on the topic of discussion, e.g. "New Sapphire livery" or "Gas bus repaints"
Other parts of the forum would remain unchanged for now, with a view of us reviewing how this proposed setup would work.

Could you please indicate whether you're for or against this idea, using the poll above, and also let us have any feedback by midnight on Saturday 25th November

Regards,
Adrian
upt50k
27 Nov 2017, 11:41 am #24

(22 Nov 2017, 8:21 pm)Adrian Under the current system there are multiple reports of max and sapphire bus on the incorrect boards. This is typical of Arriva where allocation is not a priority.These brands are a recent development which came after this layout began. Dear All,

We're currently looking at potential changes of the forum structure, with the aims to both modernise how we work and increase participation in the discussion we have across the site. The structure has remained pretty constant since day one, and now is perhaps the time to look at how we are doing things.

Present Setup
  • Our three main bus operators in the region have their own parent forum, which then have three sub forums each. 
  • The three sub forums for each operator are 'Latest News & Discussion', 'Rare & Odd Workings' and 'Other Discussion'. 
  • With exception of the 'Other Discussion' forum, each sub forum has a monthly thread for discussion, with no other threads being permitted.

Proposed Setup
  • Our three main bus operators in the region would continue to have their own parent forum, BUT;
  • The three sub forums will be REMOVED, and the present system of monthly discussion threads will CEASE to exist.
  • Members will be entitled to create their own threads in the operator's parent forum, based on the topic of discussion, e.g. "New Sapphire livery" or "Gas bus repaints"
Other parts of the forum would remain unchanged for now, with a view of us reviewing how this proposed setup would work.

Could you please indicate whether you're for or against this idea, using the poll above, and also let us have any feedback by midnight on Saturday 25th November

Regards,
Adrian

Cock Robin

27 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm #25
(25 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm)MurdnunoC North Korea is looking more and more promising these days...

Well I was going to post a laughing face but all I can see today is boxes with 'x's in! And "myadvertisements....." at the top!

(27 Nov 2017, 10:46 am)Jamie M Can't see the poll and also sorry for being a bit late, but I use the "rare and odd workings" thread daily. I like to know what I can go and take a picture of, and I'd feel a lot less inclined to browse the forums generally if this feature was removed in this format.

Sums up my feelings exactly.
Edited 27 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm by Cock Robin.
Cock Robin
27 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm #25

(25 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm)MurdnunoC North Korea is looking more and more promising these days...

Well I was going to post a laughing face but all I can see today is boxes with 'x's in! And "myadvertisements....." at the top!

(27 Nov 2017, 10:46 am)Jamie M Can't see the poll and also sorry for being a bit late, but I use the "rare and odd workings" thread daily. I like to know what I can go and take a picture of, and I'd feel a lot less inclined to browse the forums generally if this feature was removed in this format.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average